Become a Patron!

Advice on coil type for a tube

Lucros

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
hello! Just needed some advice for a coil type that doesn’t have ridiculous ramp up but gives off fantastic clouds, as safely as possible. Currently I’m doing a 24g twisted dual setup on a drop RDA on my vgod Elite tube, I have lg hb6 (pink) and vtc5a’s, this build has somewhat decent clouds, but I know it could be better based of other tube mod users I’ve seen, and was just looking for advice

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
hello! Just needed some advice for a coil type that doesn’t have ridiculous ramp up but gives off fantastic clouds, as safely as possible. Currently I’m doing a 24g twisted dual setup on a drop RDA on my vgod Elite tube, I have lg hb6 (pink) and vtc5a’s, this build has somewhat decent clouds, but I know it could be better based of other tube mod users I’ve seen, and was just looking for advice

Nichrome (N80) is popular for having a fast ramp-up, 2 or 3 twisted strands 26awg or 4 strands- 28awg, or fused claptons and such, you can make your own or order them from lots of places online.

For kanthal I love 3 or 4 strands of 26 or 28 guage, I build right at 0.18 which I say is okay for a tube with good battery. There is a small ramp up. I can't use Nichrome so I don't have experience building for a tube with it but I've watched lots of videos.

I use this for ideas http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.html

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I second that nichrome80 is the only alloy I gave stuck with on my unregulated, mech journey so far. I don't like SS very much, and kanthal is a bitch when it comes to rampup time, like literally I build all my build around .12 so I can use them in either or. I could go lower but this allows me to mindlessly switch from my regulated mod back to my tube.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Lucros

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I ended up going super basic and doing a 5 or 6 wrap parallel dual coil with 26g N80, comes out to exactly .15, might try the twisted again with the n80 when it’s time to switch coils

Lucros

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Nichrome (N80) is popular for having a fast ramp-up, 2 or 3 twisted strands 26awg or 4 strands- 28awg, or fused claptons and such, you can make your own or order them from lots of places online.

For kanthal I love 3 or 4 strands of 26 or 28 guage, I build right at 0.18 which I say is okay for a tube with good battery. There is a small ramp up. I can't use Nichrome so I don't have experience building for a tube with it but I've watched lots of videos.

I use this for ideas http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.html

I love steam engine I can’t figure out how to measure twist pitch though

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I love steam engine I can’t figure out how to measure twist pitch though

I just guesstimate now, but 26awg twisted well until it breaks is about 0.8 mm pitch, hope that helps

22g kanthal a1
7 wraps dual coil
3mm inner.

good clouds okay flavor an like 0.2 sec ramp time before explotion of vape ;)
that's my daily build on coilart mage tricker kit, with my vtc5 battery

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
For clouds.. try Dual coils, 20ga kanthal, 6 wraps, 3.0mm id core. 0.13 ohm, at 28A (below your 30A CDR)
Straight parallel coil will produce more cloud than a twisted build. (more surface area). Or even better.. use 4 single coils. Same resistance, faster ramp up. So rather than say 6 wraps of 24ga twisted.. use 2x 24ga single strand coil.
WIN_20180101_135405.JPG
WIN_20180101_135513.JPG

Contrary to what some seem to think, Kanthal has a higher resistance, therefore heats faster as the electrons cause more friction as they travel through the coil. Aprox 50% faster ramp up than Nichrome.
http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.html?s=dp&r=0.13&awg=20&id=3
vs
http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.html?mat=n80&s=dp&r=0.13&awg=20&id=3

Lower mJ/K = faster ramp up.
Links above represent 2 coils of identical resistance and core id. 1 is kanthal, 1 is nichrome.

Note: you can get more flavor using roughly the same build, if you wrap the core wire with SS wire, as thin as you can work with. I use 32ga SS but 34, 36, 38 would be better (stainless steel transfers heat faster. The thinner the SS wrap, the faster the heat transfer) With SS we are talking about heat conducted through the ss wire from the main coil core, not heat generated by voltage passing through.

Last edited:

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
For clouds.. try Dual coils, 20ga kanthal, 6 wraps, 3.0mm id core. 0.13 ohm, at 28A (below your 30A CDR)
Straight parallel coil will produce more cloud than a twisted build. (more surface area). Or even better.. use 4 single coils. Same resistance, faster ramp up. So rather than say 6 wraps of 24ga twisted.. use 2x 24ga single strand coil.
View attachment 100108
View attachment 100109

Contrary to what some seem to think, Kanthal has a higher resistance, therefore heats faster as the electrons cause more friction as they travel through the coil. Aprox 50% faster ramp up than Nichrome.
http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.html?s=dp&r=0.13&awg=20&id=3
vs
http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.html?mat=n80&s=dp&r=0.13&awg=20&id=3

Lower mJ/K = faster ramp up.
Links above represent 2 coils of identical resistance and core id. 1 is kanthal, 1 is nichrome.

Note: you can get more flavor using roughly the same build, if you wrap the core wire with SS wire, as thin as you can work with. I use 32ga SS but 34, 36, 38 would be better (stainless steel transfers heat faster. The thinner the SS wrap, the faster the heat transfer) With SS we are talking about heat conducted through the ss wire from the main coil core, not heat generated by voltage passing through.
Kanthal does not ramp up faster than Nichrome or SS. I agree with most else you wrote about, but your wrong. I won't even use kanthal on my mech or unregulated set ups. The ramp up just takes way to Long.

Hey @CrazyChef chime in here.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Kanthal does not ramp up faster than Nichrome or SS. I agree with most else you wrote about, but your wrong. I won't even use kanthal on my mech or unregulated set ups. The ramp up just takes way to Long.

Hey @CrazyChef chime in here.

Not going to debate it with ya.. the math is right there
Next you're going to say that 2x 12wrap SS coils ramp up faster even though they have 2x the mass of kanthal. (0.13 ohm)

Don't confuse heat conductivity with resistance. The more conductive a metal is, the less it heats up under current. Which is why SS coils are usually 28ga or higher.

now, if you are talking about identical wraps.. 6 kanthal or 6 nichrome.. yes, in that case the nichrome ramps up faster, but the resistance is also lower, so on a mech mod, it pulls more amps and generates higher watts, which may be unsafe. This is why I used 0.13 ohm at 28A in my comparison.

Last edited:

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Ok we all know what we mean by ramp up dude. Ramp up to me is the time from when the switch is flipped to when I get vapor.

What's the fucking use of saying ramp up when you need electrons are uselessly occupying space faster? Think about it.

I'm not going to argue, your probably right about the conductivity, I understand that part.. what I'm saying I guess is Nichrome is more efficient. I didn't need to come off as an asshole tho, and I apologize.

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Nichrome has a lower resistance meaning it's not as efficient blocking, or resisting electrics. Meaning it does resist, but electrons pass through Nichrome faster and easier than kanthal.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Nichrome has a lower resistance meaning it's not as efficient blocking, or resisting electrics. Meaning it does resist, but electrons pass through Nichrome faster and easier than kanthal.

100% correct. But..it is the resistance that generates the heat. Lets use nichrome as an example. 28ga kanthal has higher resistance than 24. Correct? Therefore 28 ga kanthal heats faster than 24ga kanthal. A very basic simple test.. press your palms together lightly... and rub back and forth.. not press them firmly together and rub back and forth... more resistance.. more heat.

I think I see where a lot of the confusion is coming from. I had to work through it as well. I was using 20ga SS for cloud builds. Massive amount of wire to heat and near impossible to get a working resistance. Not to mention the battery drain was ungodly.

Now as I said, 6 wraps of Nichrome will ramp up faster than 6 wraps of kanthal, but... that would exceed the CDR of the cell which I don't recommend. IF the person is an advanced vaper and knows the risks and how the battery will perform under stress then they can do their own research and build according to their own skill and comfort level.

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
100% correct. But..it is the resistance that generates the heat. Lets use nichrome as an example. 28ga kanthal has higher resistance than 24. Correct? Therefore 28 ga kanthal heats faster than 24ga kanthal. A very basic simple test.. press your palms together lightly... and rub back and forth.. not press them firmly together and rub back and forth... more resistance.. more heat.

I think I see where a lot of the confusion is coming from. I had to work through it as well. I was using 20ga SS for cloud builds. Massive amount of wire to heat and near impossible to get a working resistance. Not to mention the battery drain was ungodly.

Now as I said, 6 wraps of Nichrome will ramp up faster than 6 wraps of kanthal, but... that would exceed the CDR of the cell which I don't recommend. IF the person is an advanced vaper and knows the risks and how the battery will perform under stress then they can do their own research and build according to their own skill and comfort level.
I really enjoyed picking your brain gbalkam your very knowledgeable. Thank you.

Those figures are correct. And to a point I can admit I was wrong. Thanks again buddy, I'm glad we met.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I really enjoyed picking your brain gbalkam your very knowledgeable. Thank you.

Those figures are correct. And to a point I can admit I was wrong. Thanks again buddy, I'm glad we met.

You were mostly correct. It gets a bit wonky figuring things like heat conductivity vs resistance and comparing wraps to ohms for ramp up times. It's a constant study. lol. Just when you figure one thing.. something new comes out.

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
You were mostly correct. It gets a bit wonky figuring things like heat conductivity vs resistance and comparing wraps to ohms for ramp up times. It's a constant study. lol. Just when you figure one thing.. something new comes out.
Have a good day brother. Can't wait till Monday. Alien time. Got my cores pre straightened. Gonna give it a go free handing. I can free hand Claptons and fused Claptons eyes closed. Time for another challenge.

VU Sponsors