Become a Patron!

Aeronaut

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not a new RDA but I didn't see a thread for it and thought it deserves one for how good it is.

Was looking for a single coil rda (yeah, you can do dual too), not something you can shut one side off for a single build like the many I already have.

Heard lots of good about the Aeronaut but since it's such an odd ball I threw the $10 FT version in the cart along with some odds & ends and even though it said 7 day lead time it got here in 9 days from order date (new record).
Will probably order the tobeco 1:1 for the deeper well and wire clamp plate to pinch a wider wire. For $10 it was a cheap test drive and will probably hand it off to a friend.

Great flavor for the amount of vapor it produces... no, fantastic. I did swap out the monster DT for the one that came with the Boreas and that choked it off a hair but still drips easy.
That's one thing I wish the 1:1 came with... a replaceable DT instead of the monster fixed DT and from what I have read the cheapo top cap will not line up with the 1:1 coils :(

Zero spit back FTW! :bliss:

I could probably fit a 2x28 dual fused in there but this 316 clapton is what was ready to go... 3" 1.1 ohm running TC mode on a 350j.

20160911_091752-1.jpg 20160911_091910-1.jpg

Last edited:

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
It's a good RDA, not great IMO. I'd rate it a 7/10 personally. (I'm using it right now, I have the tobecco clone) As in I wouldn't recommend it, but I wouldn't tell someone not to get it either

Pros
1) Doesn't leak
2) Good flavor
3) can drip down the center to refill, don't need to remove top cap

Cons
1) annoying to build on (small build area, clamps are small, 2 screws takes up space to land leads, clamps are floppy)
2) Limited build options (what i found works best is a 2-4 wrap single fused clapton, I'm using a 3wrap now at .16 ohms 65 watts in TC mode 480F)
3) drip tip can get hot with big builds since it's part of the top cap and metal
4) Very airy and not really adjustable, need a build that can really great vapor (like claptons, aliens, etc) regular wire unless really thick probably won't work
5) Doesn't wick very well due to the way you have to tuck the cotton, small area to put wick

EDIT: also noticed your clone doesn't have clamps, which may or may not work better. Not a big fan of screws anymore though so I'd say not.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think it should take a smaller dual fused, need to put an order in for some. I found it very easy to throw that single coil in, kind of dropped itself right into it's home.

Yeah, to reduce air flow the boreas DT helped... I guess you only have AFC with your choice of DT. Can't do that with the tobeco or authentic, kind of a fail incorporating the DT into the top cap.

Doubt I'll have issues with the screws, they felt decent quality and besides the spares that come with it I won't be using the other 2 on the deck. I'll probably be bored of it well before I run through the screws and I tend not to strip shit anyway.
They pinch the wire in the channel very well, I could see how the plate could be floppy without a dual coil build. Might even be worth it to put the cut ends on the opposite side to clamp down evenly.

Took it to work today and enjoyed it, tons of vapor with a 1 ohm clapton. The deck is a little shallower that I'd like but like you said... it's pretty easy to redrip. I hear the tobeco and authentics deck is a little deeper but then I would have a metal DT and no way to adjust airflow.
For $10, I'm happy with it :cheers:

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I think it should take a smaller dual fused, need to put an order in for some. I found it very easy to throw that single coil in, kind of dropped itself right into it's home.

Yeah, to reduce air flow the boreas DT helped... I guess you only have AFC with your choice of DT. Can't do that with the tobeco or authentic, kind of a fail incorporating the DT into the top cap.

Doubt I'll have issues with the screws, they felt decent quality and besides the spares that come with it I won't be using the other 2 on the deck. I'll probably be bored of it well before I run through the screws and I tend not to strip shit anyway.
They pinch the wire in the channel very well, I could see how the plate could be floppy without a dual coil build. Might even be worth it to put the cut ends on the opposite side to clamp down evenly.

Took it to work today and enjoyed it, tons of vapor with a 1 ohm clapton. The deck is a little shallower that I'd like but like you said... it's pretty easy to redrip. I hear the tobeco and authentics deck is a little deeper but then I would have a metal DT and no way to adjust airflow.
For $10, I'm happy with it :cheers:
for 10 bucks can't complain, even for the 20 i paid it's worth it, but if someone were to ask, i'd tell them to get a so horney clone for 10 bucks instead TBH. or even better a tsunami 24 authentic for 20-30 bucks. Aeronaut is a solid RDA but not a great one IMO.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's an odd ball for sure... kind of why I picked it up. Bored of the same old same old :D

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
It's an odd ball for sure... kind of why I picked it up. Bored of the same old same old :D
yup me too. wanted to try something different. next 2 on my list are probably the pharaoh (which looks like a better version of the aeronaut IMO) and the EX RDA by steelvape

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have the Authentic. It still is my favorite. I'm not the fancy type coil builder. I go for what's effective.

LGGji3f.jpg

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's a frickin fog machine lol

Pharaoh is interesting but I'm digging the top air bar in the aeronaut.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
It's a frickin fog machine lol

Pharaoh is interesting but I'm digging the top air bar in the aeronaut.
the top air bar restricts airflow, but it's there so that it doesn't leak. thats the biggest positive on the aeronaut. no leaks

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not sure how adding the top bar with holes in it does anything to avoid leaking and more holes allows more air, it doesn't restrict air. But I digress..

Dotmod baby friction tip works and looks fantastic, boreas tip is back in the parts bin.
Got a fatty coil in there with a twist of the leads.
Loving this rda!
20160917_075225-1.jpg
20160918_191714-1.jpg

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Not sure how adding the top bar with holes in it does anything to avoid leaking and more holes allows more air, it doesn't restrict air. But I digress..

Dotmod baby friction tip works and looks fantastic, boreas tip is back in the parts bin.
Got a fatty coil in there with a twist of the leads.
Loving this rda!
View attachment 61815
View attachment 61816
Top bar prevents leaking from the side air holes if you tip it over. That's the point of the design, but it restricts airflow from the top airholes in doing so

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The top bar is there to direct air to the top of the coil. It does not prevent leaking in any way. The holes in the bars are in the center so that if it's on its side the juice will be near a closed bar top and bottom, I give you that but the top bar was not designed into it to prevent leaking in any way.

Omitting the bar completely would give less chance of leaking... but it's there for top airflow.

The top air holes wouldn't do shit if the bar was not there to direct the airflow downwards onto the coil. The top airholes are not lined up with the coil... nowhere near the coil.

Last edited:

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Top bar prevents leaking from the side air holes if you tip it over. That's the point of the design, but it restricts airflow from the top airholes in doing so

I get a lot more air restriction if I use the solid top bar instead of the slotted top bar. The slots are designed to reduce spit back, and to add more air from the top. The vapor is smoother with air from the top and bottom. Did the clones come with extra bars ?

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No, the $9.50 fasttech one didn't but it does have a 510 drip tip adaptor and a delrin chuf cap.

The tobeco clone does but like the authentic, the driptip is built into the topcap. I hear the tobeco is 1:1 and the fasttech topcaps holes don't line up with the authentic otherwise it would be perfect to buy the tobeco or authentic and use the fasttech top cap... sigh.

Does that get hot being metal and part of the topcap? I'm tempted to get the tobeco or even the authentic but I'm hesitant because of the one piece driptip top cap.

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Does that get hot being metal and part of the topcap? I'm tempted to get the tobeco or even the authentic but I'm hesitant because of the one piece driptip top cap.
Nah man. It never gets hot, as long as the coils are fastened tight. 4 mm coils are big, and this RDA still stays cool for me.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
The top bar is there to direct air to the top of the coil. It does not prevent leaking in any way. The holes in the bars are in the center so that if it's on its side the juice will be near a closed bar top and bottom, I give you that but the top bar was not designed into it to prevent leaking in any way.

Omitting the bar completely would give less chance of leaking... but it's there for top airflow.

The top air holes wouldn't do shit if the bar was not there to direct the airflow downwards onto the coil. The top airholes are not lined up with the coil... nowhere near the coil.
It doesn't get to the coil. Air is sucked in from the side and through the top. Top airflow never touches the coil but it gives more airflow then a bottom alone. And yes it's there to stop leaking. If you had no bar in it and tip it over the well will empty through the top airholes

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Nah man. It never gets hot, as long as the coils are fastened tight. 4 mm coils are big, and this RDA still stays cool for me.
Mine gets hot with big coils. I fined using a 2-4 wrap single fused Clapton coil the best

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I get a lot more air restriction if I use the solid top bar instead of the slotted top bar. The slots are designed to reduce spit back, and to add more air from the top. The vapor is smoother with air from the top and bottom. Did the clones come with extra bars ?
It does give more air but isn't the purpose of the bar. If it was only for air the wouldn't include the bars. The bars are to stop leaking. As far as spit back even without the bars it won't spit. The chamber is to tall to get spitback.

I have the tobacco clone and yes it came with extra bars but not as many as the authentic comes with. They do sell a bar kit but I don't see the point. I recently caved and got a pharaoh. Should arrive Tuesday or Wednesday. I'll see how that compares

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, V1 or 2 to me is a great dedicated single coil rda. Fatty single coil and it vapes fantastic to me, V2 should be that much better.

I use a different topper for dual coil every once in a while but I've been on a fat single coil kick for a few months now.

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, V1 or 2 to me is a great dedicated single coil rda. Fatty single coil and it vapes fantastic to me, V2 should be that much better.

I use a different topper for dual coil every once in a while but I've been on a fat single coil kick for a few months now.
Enjoy it man :)

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanx! I will... months from now I'm sure lol.
Didn't really catch on this side of the pond, shame, it throws huge tasteful clouds with a fat coil at 40w

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Thanx! I will... months from now I'm sure lol.
Didn't really catch on this side of the pond, shame, it throws huge tasteful clouds with a fat coil at 40w
I'll always love the V1. I use it more than everything I own. ;)

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Aeronaut 24mm!!
Will probably pick one up once they hit the states.
510 DT, independently adjustable top and bottom airflow, pockets for the wick and properly offset clamps for a single coil build.
http://aeronautvape.co.uk/products/aeronaut-24-rda
View attachment 64537
Some good improvements but I wish they would have went with a single screw clamp. It still looks like it has the same problems from the v1. Good RDA but the pharaoh still fixes everything wrong with it and is half the price on top of that

VU Sponsors