Become a Patron!

Another dripping noob! Assistance with a lot of questions please!

So I know that I'm diving into RDAs really suddenly when I'm only fairly new to vaping, only three months experience after quitting the stinkies for six months, but I figured seeing as I'm a pretty hands-on crafty girl I'll get into dripping at some point anyway, and pre-built coils are expensive, priming them gets fiddly, you don't know if you have a bad batch etc, so why not start building my own coils now right, hahah.

I have the Wotofo Lush coming in tomorrow (decided to go cheap for my first) but there are some things when building that I want to clarify first.

I've only got a Joyetech eVic VTC mini that reaches 75w, Samsung 18650 2500mAh 3.7v as well as Sony 18650 2600mAh 3.7v batteries, 26 gauge A-1 kanthal, and am planning on building 0.5ohm dual coil, 7 wraps around 3mm bit. 0.5ohm is the lowest I am comfortable enough to go right now, 1.0ohm the highest. I'm also not looking to chase big plumes of clouds, I'm more of a flavour chaser. Most of my juices are also high VG, custard/dessert flavours, if this info helps in any way hahah :)

ANYWAY, my questions are (sorry there's a lot):
- is the dual coil build I'm planning okay and safe for my first time with the mod and batteries I have?
(I know I've had prebuilt coils at 0.5ohm before but for me to build them myself I just want to be extra careful and knowledgeable first)
- do you start at a low wattage when dry firing for hot spot checks? And how low is that wattage? Or rather, at what wattage in general do you go when checking for hot spots?
- what's the highest wattage I can go with my build?
- in the future, can I go as low as 0.2ohm dual coil on my 75w mod with these batteries?

Uhm.. I think that's it for now hahah! Also sorry if this is in the wrong thread category!
Thanks in advance for being patient with this newbie dripper!

Last edited:

dwalters719

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
hello there im also kinda new but I jumped straight into dripping when I started. if you going onto steam-engine.com you can check what your mod is capable of and it even shows the sweet spot for resistance. my first build was a dual coil 24 gauge at .5 ohms. was scared at first also. If I remember I think I was vaping at 50W only pulling somewhere around 4-4.5V. I will verify when I get home tonight so I don't leave an assumption on here.

that rda looks pretty simple to build on. have not had one so no experience but it looks a little like my mutation post style wise.
when checking for hot spots I start at about 12W and go up to about 20W so I can see the glow faster.
this is as much as I can give due to also being newer. but its deffinately a fun hobby when you build your own :)

Im sure someone else will be able to post and have a lot more information.

not sure if its ok to put names out please advise if im in the wrong @Scooter 72

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Welcome to the thunderdome.
Dual coils are safe, your mod can fire down to .1 ohm in regular kanthal mode, so it probaably wouldnt struggle with .5.
I check for spots in high wattage, tapping the switch lightly, dont think it necessarily needs to be low wattage.
You can go as high as you like, that really depends on your wicking. If you like a hot vape then go for it, probably want to start low and work up to avoid burn hits, which suck majorly.
Again you mod fires down to .1 as per the spec sheet on the joytech site, so you can go anowhere above that up until 1 ohm.
In regulated mods the chip and the guts decide how low you can go, not the cells you use. Some mods require certain amperage in cells that jnfo should be in your manual that came with the mod either way those cells can handle that load reguardless.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Scooter 72

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
hello there im also kinda new but I jumped straight into dripping when I started. if you going onto steam-engine.com you can check what your mod is capable of and it even shows the sweet spot for resistance. my first build was a dual coil 24 gauge at .5 ohms. was scared at first also. If I remember I think I was vaping at 50W only pulling somewhere around 4-4.5V. I will verify when I get home tonight so I don't leave an assumption on here.

that rda looks pretty simple to build on. have not had one so no experience but it looks a little like my mutation post style wise.
when checking for hot spots I start at about 12W and go up to about 20W so I can see the glow faster.
this is as much as I can give due to also being newer. but its deffinately a fun hobby when you build your own :)

Im sure someone else will be able to post and have a lot more information.

not sure if its ok to put names out please advise if im in the wrong @Scooter 72
Your ok

scooter just wants to be in reno

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
So I know that I'm diving into RDAs really suddenly when I'm only fairly new to vaping, only three months experience after quitting the stinkies for six months, but I figured seeing as I'm a pretty hands-on crafty girl I'll get into dripping at some point anyway, and pre-built coils are expensive, priming them gets fiddly, you don't know if you have a bad batch etc, so why not start building my own coils now right, hahah.

I have the Wotofo Lush coming in tomorrow (decided to go cheap for my first) but there are some things when building that I want to clarify first.

I've only got a Joyetech eVic VTC mini that reaches 75w, Samsung 18650 2500mAh 3.7v as well as Sony 18650 2600mAh 3.7v batteries, 26 gauge A-1 kanthal, and am planning on building 0.5ohm dual coil, 7 wraps around 3mm bit. 0.5ohm is the lowest I am comfortable enough to go right now, 1.0ohm the highest. I'm also not looking to chase big plumes of clouds, I'm more of a flavour chaser. Most of my juices are also high VG, custard/dessert flavours, if this info helps in any way hahah :)

- is the dual coil build I'm planning okay and safe for my first time with the mod and batteries I have?
(I know I've had prebuilt coils at 0.5ohm before but for me to build them myself I just want to be extra careful and knowledgeable first)
Yes, you're save. The 0.5 Ohm is a good choice for the resistance, it will give you a good range for power adjustments.
- do you start at a low wattage when dry firing for hot spot checks? And how low is that wattage? Or rather, at what wattage in general do you go when checking for hot spots?
I usually begin at 15-20W.
It depends on your eliquid and your preference. Start at around 30W with the 0.5 Ohm build, and increase until you find the sweet spot.
- in the future, can I go as low as 0.2ohm dual coil on my 75w mod with these batteries?
Yes, with this mod any battery, that has a continuous discharge current at 20A or above, which is the case, with the batteries you're using.

Uhm.. I think that's it for now hahah! Also sorry if this is in the wrong thread category!
Thanks in advance for being patient with this newbie dripper!

Yes, you're save. The 0.5 Ohm is a good choice for the resistance, it will give you a good range for power adjustments.
I usually begin at 15-20W.
It depends on your eliquid and your preference. Start at around 30W with the 0.5 Ohm build, and increase until you find the sweet spot.
Yes, with this mod any battery, that has a continuous discharge current at 20A or above, which is the case, with the batteries you're using.

VU Sponsors