Become a Patron!

Any one else disapointed with the smok tfv4

formernuke

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
just got this tank because the reviews were great and my local shop told me the rebuildables are really good for it.

I've tried the single rebuild, the new triple capton and the quaptropable coil. the flavor is just not there at all. My crown gives much better flavor.

I soaked in soap and water, rinsed dried, soaked in alcohol wiped down and tried and still the flavor is just bad.

I want to like the tank but so far nothing. Any one else have issues with this tank.

sandduner8

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I didn't care for the RBA but the pre made coils are awesome . I DIY my own ejuice and it seems like I need to vape a tank or two on a new coil before I start getting full flavor .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sandduner8

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I am assuming you coming from a crown tank your vaping at higher watts . I found my sweet spot on the t3 coil and Clapton to be around 80 watts

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

formernuke

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
started at 30 and worked up slowly for each, the best flavor for both is between 80 and 90. I always start new coils at 30 5 puffs, 35 5 puffs ....... that's why I'm so shocked. I read great things about this tank the only bad thing was that it goes through juice really quick. I still have that bad taste, for people with mechanic background reminds me of machining oil.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
started at 30 and worked up slowly for each, the best flavor for both is between 80 and 90. I always start new coils at 30 5 puffs, 35 5 puffs ....... that's why I'm so shocked. I read great things about this tank the only bad thing was that it goes through juice really quick. I still have that bad taste, for people with mechanic background reminds me of machining oil.
Machine oil?
Did you wash it out before using it the first time?

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

formernuke

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
yup soap and water and alcohol both don't have any simple green or I might have tried it too

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's odd..I haven't had any problems like that with my two TFV4 tanks..been vaping the triple coils at about 65-70w for last month..but now I have the Griffin RTA my Smok tanks are back on the shelf for now..hope you get it figured out...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Try the Dual coil RBA, that was the best for simple builds (26g twisted was my fav).

The fault in the TFV4 is simply too much air. It's a cloudchaser design. You get these HUGE clouds, but the flavor is muted a bit. It's not that it's not there, but it's more that it's diluted. You're getting these huge clouds but a lot of what you inhale is air. You're taking an 8oz drink mix and putting it in a 16oz cup of water. You get more in quantity but the same in flavor.

I feel the dual coil RBA solves that with appropriate builds. Thicker tastier vape, not as much cloud production but enough for me.

The TFV4 is IMO best looked at as a hybrid tank. You may not have the best premade coil vape (though IMO it's better than the crown but that's subjective, and as far as I'm concerned not worth the price relatively), but it's RBAs are FAR better than any other tank that I've tried. So it allows you to slot in a premade coil when it's convenient or build up a better experience with the RBAs (Single coil RBA modified to fit a thicker wire and drilled out juice holes was best for me, though dual is awesome too).

So, while I was a little disappointed with the premade coils as the flavor wasn't as great as I'd first hoped seeing it's use, it was still very good. But, I'm glad I got it as it allowed me to transition into buliding coils and perfecting my vaping experience while having the convenience of a tank. Since then I've taken off with coil building, RDA's I'm not a huge fan of as dripping is a pain, but the Haze RDTA is an amazing flavor, the Avocado is nice too though imperfect, and then the Griffin is simply awesome for an RTA.

will.cox.779

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
In comparison to most other tanks with pre built coils... with an exception to the Crown, the flavor is amazing with the tfv4.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

will.cox.779

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My only complaint is the amount of juice that it drinks. I have been billowing clouds for over a year or so... im past that phase, I'd like to just find a tank with great flavor that has decent vapor productoin... so I've been going back to dripping and building above ohm coils so the flavor is better.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Discobob

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't see how it drinking juice is a complaint, that's what it's for, cloud production, this equals juice usage......

I love mine, usually takes a tank to get through the new coil taste but it's far from machine oil, and vaping it at 30 watts with the prebuilts??

Are you letting the coil break in?

formernuke

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yup prime the coils fill tank with air holes closed do a couple dry drags with air holes closed and no unit off, then start at 30 watts and go up slowly

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

SOC

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My only argument with this thing (now that it doesn't leak like a sieve) is that you can't really vape a full tank. Or, at least I don't. About 2/3rds of the way down and you run the risk of having your juice level below the juice holes of the coil, which could in theory burn out parts of the coil faster. Top fill is simple enough though so that can be a "subjective con"! TF-T8 coils though, these are pretty damn badass.

wheelie

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I own allot of tanks, well over 50. I find the TFV4 amazing. I think it is a game changer. Never leaks and the RCA are the best design out of any RCA's I own. I have never used the coils that came with it and I likely never will. May rip them apart to see if I can rebuild them. CHEERS!

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I love my TFV4. I've only used the duel Clapton coil in it and in my opinion at 80-90 watts the flavor is great. I also like the air flow but only the bottom portion. The top air flow control is just weird.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I love my TFV4. I've only used the duel Clapton coil in it and in my opinion at 80-90 watts the flavor is great. I also like the air flow but only the bottom portion. The top air flow control is just weird.
If you like the RBA deck in the V4 you'll love the velocity style deck in the Griffin... I have both and I liked my TfV4 but the Griffin just blows it away...the deck is huge, easy to build, has both adj air and juice controls..easier to wick with large juice channels and a control ring, easy top fill with a wide bore delrin drip tip..I just wish somebody told me about the Griffin before I wasted $35 on the TFV4, but, as the saying goes, its better late than never, lolol

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

pescadore

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Never been a favorite of mine but with the Clapton Coils, the flavor is pretty good. I don't like the hinge and hate to have the vape ring on the top. Looks stupid to me but to each their own.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Never been a favorite of mine but with the Clapton Coils, the flavor is pretty good. I don't like the hinge and hate to have the vape ring on the top. Looks stupid to me but to each their own.
My TFV4 is a tank that I use at home. I think the vape band looks ridiculous and don't trust the hinge as well.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My TFV4 is a tank that I use at home. I think the vape band looks ridiculous and don't trust the hinge as well.
Funny you should say that..I mean ever since the hinged cap opened accidentally leaking juice in my truck I use them only at home now..
4399847a0b140c0e84f61dc6e672d540.jpg
have both the bkack and stainless seen on the right but when the triple coils are gone that's it.. I'm not buying replacement coils anymore...They became suddenly obsolete when I got my two Griffin RTA's seen on the left on the two RX200 mods..I'm done with the hinged Tfv4 cap, done trying to buld the tiny Tfv4 RBA deck and especially done buying expensive TFV4 replacement coils...
Thanks to the awesome Vape Geek Griffin RTA's

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I tried every coil and as much as I wanted to like this tank I just couldn't. It's a fog machine but for me the taste was never there. Couldn't stand the top fill on it and I hated that stupid vape band. I sold mine and bought another Crown and I couldn't be happier.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I wonder if I got a lemon

Unless the tank leaks a lot, has wonky airflow, bad threads or does not make a 510 connection, the tank is fine. Your problem has something to do with the coil. It's like a car not starting and Attributing it to the body. Thing that sucks is, the coils are not cheap so experimenting could get expensive real quick. My local shop sells them in single servings at $4-5 a piece so I plan on picking up a few different ones and figuring out which I like best. So far I really like the duel Clapton and if that was the only coil available, that would be fine by me.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I tried every coil and as much as I wanted to like this tank I just couldn't. It's a fog machine but for me the taste was never there. Couldn't stand the top fill on it and I hated that stupid vape band. I sold mine and bought another Crown and I couldn't be happier.
I liked my Crowns too..but gave them away because I'm not using tanks that use expensive pre-built replacement coils anymore, I can use that money now for juice, wire and another Griffin or two...

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I liked my Crowns too..but gave them away because I'm not using tanks that use expensive pre-built replacement coils anymore, I can use that money now for juice, wire and another Griffin or two...

I get 4 coils from ecig.com for $7.99. Not bad for pre built. I tried building and I'm just really bad at it . lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

Erik13

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
After using both, I prefer the Crown. Bigger clouds with the TFV4, but it guzzles juice and has less flavor than the Crown.

formernuke

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok griffin guys I'm always a sucker for trying something more flavorfull, where's the best place to get one of these?

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Practise makes perfect, you will never get perfect but you will improve! LOL
True but I think at that price I'll just buy them. Just easier for me at this point in my life.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok griffin guys I'm always a sucker for trying something more flavorfull, where's the best place to get one of these?
I got mine from VapingWalrus, free shipping on mods so $30+tax, I know some got theirs from VapeNW, and some Ebay. All around the same prices.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
+shipping and your'e at the ~$30 the other sites have with their free shipping :D

bigrobbie

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
just got this tank because the reviews were great and my local shop told me the rebuildables are really good for it.

I've tried the single rebuild, the new triple capton and the quaptropable coil. the flavor is just not there at all. My crown gives much better flavor.

I soaked in soap and water, rinsed dried, soaked in alcohol wiped down and tried and still the flavor is just bad.

I want to like the tank but so far nothing. Any one else have issues with this tank.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Those other sites with free shipping always takes way longer to get here than when I pay for Priority shipping.. I mean I'm very happy I ordered my Griffin from VapeNW as it got here under three days...ordered another Griffin from Eccigity (black) with free shipping and got it 6 days later...so yeah, I don't mind paying the extra $5 shipping because I'm impatient for my vape mail...but that's just me..

bigrobbie

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've been very happy with mine however, I didn't attempt a rebuild, premade coils for me....I'm still quite new at this though.

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
To get more flavor close down the bottom airflow some. You will still get great clouds. Never open the top airflow unless your vaping at suck a high wattage that you need to cool down the vape. I've been using The large one and the mini. 4 of them and I love them. That's the thing about vaping. There's something for everyone. If you don't like the TVF4 and you like another tank, so be it. It's whatever works for you. Cheers !

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
To get more flavor close down the bottom airflow some. You will still get great clouds. Never open the top airflow unless your vaping at suck a high wattage that you need to cool down the vape. I've been using The large one and the mini. 4 of them and I love them. That's the thing about vaping. There's something for everyone. If you don't like the TVF4 and you like another tank, so be it. It's whatever works for you. Cheers !
Great point, the top airflow is simply dumb. If it's too hot for you, turn the wattage down first, you get FAR more flavor and still reduce the heat. Top airflow of that design is possibly the worst fad I've seen from these things.

formernuke

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Vaping walrus sold out. Vape NW. Ordered with a juice to get the free shipping

skiibo4200

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have the crown and tfv4 I like them both and the rba sections but I recently bought the 25mm vcmt and I haven't used them since I get more flavor and vapor from my vcmt then even my best rda's.. well maybe not vapor but definitely flavor it's pretty insane I suggest picking one up.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

SOC

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Great point, the top airflow is simply dumb. If it's too hot for you, turn the wattage down first, you get FAR more flavor and still reduce the heat. Top airflow of that design is possibly the worst fad I've seen from these things.

I don't know, I think the top airflow works better this way, where the vapor is isolated inside a center chimney through the drip tip and the top airflow comes around it. Helps reduce any spitback from collecting in the top airflow holes. My other top-airflow tank, the Starre Pro was far more obnoxious to use. With the TFV4, I vape around 140W on the TF-T8 coils and while I don't really need it I will turn on the top airflow if I've been chain vaping just to help things cool off.

greasegizzard

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Try the Dual coil RBA, that was the best for simple builds (26g twisted was my fav).

The fault in the TFV4 is simply too much air. It's a cloudchaser design. You get these HUGE clouds, but the flavor is muted a bit. It's not that it's not there, but it's more that it's diluted. You're getting these huge clouds but a lot of what you inhale is air. You're taking an 8oz drink mix and putting it in a 16oz cup of water. You get more in quantity but the same in flavor.

I feel the dual coil RBA solves that with appropriate builds. Thicker tastier vape, not as much cloud production but enough for me.

The TFV4 is IMO best looked at as a hybrid tank. You may not have the best premade coil vape (though IMO it's better than the crown but that's subjective, and as far as I'm concerned not worth the price relatively), but it's RBAs are FAR better than any other tank that I've tried. So it allows you to slot in a premade coil when it's convenient or build up a better experience with the RBAs (Single coil RBA modified to fit a thicker wire and drilled out juice holes was best for me, though dual is awesome too).

So, while I was a little disappointed with the premade coils as the flavor wasn't as great as I'd first hoped seeing it's use, it was still very good. But, I'm glad I got it as it allowed me to transition into buliding coils and perfecting my vaping experience while having the convenience of a tank. Since then I've taken off with coil building, RDA's I'm not a huge fan of as dripping is a pain, but the Haze RDTA is an amazing flavor, the Avocado is nice too though imperfect, and then the Griffin is simply awesome for an RTA.
How big did you drill the holes out on the single?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I think its great with the coils it comes with .. the dual rba deck that I bought for it was very dissapointing its ok .. It now sits in a box somewhere it is out of roation

HDMontana

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've never used the Vape bands and none of mine have opened on me. Carry it in my best pocket at work. I like a 3mm SS clapton in mine.

HD

HaileStorm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I bought my tfv4m due to the reviews as well. Turned out to be utter cr@p. I'm not only disappointed but I truly hate the tank with a passion. Flavor sucks, build quality also sucks, too much air flow and the tank gets blistering hot. The drip tip in came with is horrible and the tank just always managed to leak on me with the premade coils or the rba head.

There's really nothing good I can say about the tfv4 except that it's a pretty fancy paperweight. A complete waste of my money. It will probably deter me from buying another tank made by Smok. Good thing it wasn't my first tank too or it would've deterred me from switching from analogs to vaping in the first place.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have the crown and tfv4 I like them both and the rba sections but I recently bought the 25mm vcmt and I haven't used them since I get more flavor and vapor from my vcmt then even my best rda's.. well maybe not vapor but definitely flavor it's pretty insane I suggest picking one up.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
Whatsa vcmt?

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm a huge fan of the TFV4. I use it 90% of the time with the single clapton RBA. I have all the RBAs except for the triple Clapton one.

Perhaps I'm a bit slow, but I've been using it since August, and am still learning different ways to build and wick it. I cannot imagine anybody properly beginning to explore the capability of this RTA by vaping only a few tanks through it. With the airflow restrictor in place, it even does a credible MTL with the single Clapton RBA.

Other than expecting it to excell as a piffle-poofer MTL with the factory coils, this tank is so massivly versatile, (16 factory coil options and 4 RBAs) I find it difficult that anybody who gave it a real chance couldn't find it enjoyable. If I could only own one atty, it would be a TFV4.

Edit: If it were not for the TFV4, I might not have fully commited to DIY. lol

Last edited:

formernuke

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Mine is authentic, bought from local dealer

VU Sponsors