Anyone Here Try The Ketogenic Diet?

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
And also... I hear a lot of this garbage about how "sugar is poison." Well y'know, so is alcohol... how many of y'all are prepared to do completely without that? I know some of you don't drink, or drink very little, so I'm really not talking to y'all... but to all those who spout this "sugar is poison" crap and then guzzle beer, wine, and/or hard liquor like it's goddamn manna from heaven. It's a solvent. It's toxic. That's why you "feel funny" when you drink it... just like most of the "buzz" from smoking isn't nicotine, but carbon monoxide.

Andria

That is a good point, but many who have quit sugar have also quit alcohol

Moderate amounts of red wine have actual health benefits, sugar does not

Sugar also interferes with beneficial gut bacteria in a very big way, much the same as many artificial sweeteners which I disdain as much as processed sugar and corn syrups

And so-called "raw" sugar is not harm reduction, its just less processed - it does have extremely minute amounts of trace elements, but the amount is negligible

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You guys are making me afraid to eat again. Where the hell are my tranquilizers?

Exactly. That's exactly why I pay no attention to the "sugar is poison" crap. Without it, I really wouldn't care to keep living, so I might as well eat it, enjoy myself, and eventually do what every other living thing does: die.

Andria

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
... Without it, I really wouldn't care to keep living, so I might as well eat it, enjoy myself, and eventually do what every other living thing does: die.

Andria

I used to say similar things about w**d and **caine but I eventually gave those up.

I will just leave this here:

The Startling Link Between Sugar and Alzheimer's

A high-carb diet, and the attendant high blood sugar, are associated with cognitive decline.

A longitudinal study, published Thursday in the journal Diabetologia, followed 5,189 people over 10 years and found that people with high blood sugar had a faster rate of cognitive decline than those with normal blood sugar—whether or not their blood-sugar level technically made them diabetic. In other words, the higher the blood sugar, the faster the cognitive decline.

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
And also... I hear a lot of this garbage about how "sugar is poison." Well y'know, so is alcohol... how many of y'all are prepared to do completely without that? I know some of you don't drink, or drink very little, so I'm really not talking to y'all... but to all those who spout this "sugar is poison" crap and then guzzle beer, wine, and/or hard liquor like it's goddamn manna from heaven. It's a solvent. It's toxic. That's why you "feel funny" when you drink it... just like most of the "buzz" from smoking isn't nicotine, but carbon monoxide.

Andria
I'm Not doing without alcohol
I drink a whole bottle of Maker's mark after a work week.
Sure I get a buzz, but I live alone and I enjoy it.
My blood sugar is cool.
I don't have any problem. I stay home when I do it and rebuild my RTA's and so on..
No Problem.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I used to say similar things about w**d and **caine but I eventually gave those up.

I will just leave this here:

The Startling Link Between Sugar and Alzheimer's

Yeah, I don't have "high blood sugar." My glucose, and A1C, are perfect. And this was while pretty much fasting yet drinking a "regular sugar" ginger ale, back when I had the flu. If I ate gobs of sugar, or drank alcohol, I might be concerned, but I don't do either. I refuse to believe that moderation in sugar consumption, like moderation in everything else, is a bad thing. The only reason I don't drink is because I CANNOT be moderate, if I drink -- "If I have one, I'll have 13, no, there ain't no in-between -- the more I drink, the more I drink, the more I drink." Thank you, Blake Shelton, that describes it perfectly. If those of you who exclude sugar have a similar problem if you eat sugar, then I can understand it.

You know how those public health idiots are, out to take away everyone's enjoyment in everything, so we can all be as miserable as they are. I ain't playing dat.

Andria

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'll be frank and share an unwarranted observation/opinion.....

People ARE addicted to food. Instead of eating to live, we live to eat. It's celebrated in any food commercial, celebrated on every holiday, and bragged about every weekend. We eat too much, and we eat too much "crap". Shop like a diabetic sometime. Eliminate anything with sugar, processed flour, potatoes and white rice. You have literally eliminated 90% of the food in a grocery store. You are basically stuck to buying whole foods along the outside around all the shelves with few exceptions. All of those food that are off limits, are actually pretty unhealthy, even if you "try" to consume only small amounts of it.
Sugar and processed flour are in nearly every food you buy. They are very cheap fillers, and they are very unhealthy. More people are diagnosed with diabetes each year, then ever before. And I know in the times my mother grew up in, they ate more deserts then we do now. My mom used to have pie at breakfast, as did most people when she grew up. But all the food they ate, wasn't laced with sugar, nor was it mostly all processed foods, either.

Me, I don't care what people eat. I care what I eat. But it is of note, more people are in poor health and it's because of what we stuff our faces with. Bad for us foods, are addictive like cigarettes. We crave them or eat a lot of it, because it triggers an addiction in the brain.

hellcatrydr

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
:)

pro-tip-kingiec-umer-if-you-stir-coconut-oil-into-27753473.png

a956a4da8f476267b4c5089d6e78b2c0--funny-food-funny-humor.jpg

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I actual had bacon for dinner last night. Only bacon.
My meals yesterday, after meal prepping a bunch of pork.

- 2 HB eggs and 6 slices of bacon
- 1 Scotch Egg (1/4# of sausage wrapped around 1 HB Egg)
- 1.2# of Western Pork Ribs

I was in a pork mood apparently.

The key for me to stay carnivore is to meal prep. I also have a bunch of leftover chicken wings and baked ground beef in the fridge from meal prepping I did Thursday or Friday:

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My meals yesterday, after meal prepping a bunch of pork.

- 2 HB eggs and 6 slices of bacon
- 1 Scotch Egg (1/4# of sausage wrapped around 1 HB Egg)
- 1.2# of Western Pork Ribs

I was in a pork mood apparently.

The key for me to stay carnivore is to meal prep. I also have a bunch of leftover chicken wings and baked ground beef in the fridge from meal prepping I did Thursday or Friday:

Are you English?

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
nope, I just had a bunch of pork to cook/prep. I normally only eat pork for 1 meal a day and chicken, beef or salmon for the other 2 meals.

Did you eat the bacon as it was in the picture?

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I do a version of a keto/low carb style diet. Usually less than 20 carbs. To alter my set points I cycle a few no carb days and switch up to 30 carbs. I have lost 57 pounds so far. I gained a lot of weight being on Prednisone for 2 years. I started the WOE (way of eating) back in Feb 2018 for the anti-inflammatory response of the diet.

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Try side pork, or the unprocessed version of bacon. It's not cured and injected with salt and sugar.
Love me some pork belly! I like it best when it's first slow roasted at a low temp for a few hours, then allow it to cool until it firms up. Then cut into cubes and crisp up the outside a bit in a high temp skillet.

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
We started yesterday. Im pretty sure the adjustment period is going to be difficult.
Yeah, it took me 3-4 weeks and I was already keto but I have seen other keto users say they basically had no issues adapting. Make sure you get plenty of water, sodium and other electrolytes. I used pink salt plus morton lite sale (sodium and potassium) and supplemented calcium, magnesium and more potassium. There are other things like Nu-Salt or No Salt that are straight potassium you can use with your preferred salt as well.

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Yeah, it took me 3-4 weeks and I was already keto but I have seen other keto users say they basically had no issues adapting. Make sure you get plenty of water, sodium and other electrolytes. I used pink salt plus morton lite sale (sodium and potassium) and supplemented calcium, magnesium and more potassium. There are other things like Nu-Salt or No Salt that are straight potassium you can use with your preferred salt as well.

Thanks dude. We dont really salt anything but this is good info for when we need to, I am more concerned with the variety. I had 6 port cutlets yesterday and a mix of chicken and beef today. While not bad, I am going to struggle with the lack of green and leafy things. Just not even having it on my plate is screwing with my head. I need to summon my inner wolf.

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hubs doesn't like the smell of bacon cooked in the house. I use my gas grill outside to cook up a lb here and there. Line the grates with aluminum foil and cook on low. He doesn't complain anymore.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hubs doesn't like the smell of bacon cooked in the house. I use my gas grill outside to cook up a lb here and there. Line the grates with aluminum foil and cook on low. He doesn't complain anymore.
So now you attract all the dogs and racoons for miles around?

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
So I'm just gonna be blunt and throw this out there...
Anyone else saving money on toilet paper since they started this WOE?

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT

That will change soon enough. You will experience some of that during a diet change and then get back to normal.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So Keto reduces Voopiing time?
Still weighing the pros and cons of that aspect....

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Yes, I think so but it is hard to recall after 7 months carnivore. Now that I am carnivore I go once every 2 or 3 days.

That will change soon enough. You will experience some of that during a diet change and then get back to normal.

That will change for you if you stick with the carnivore. You will probably go thru a lot during adaptation (flushable wet wipes will be your friend during and after (consistency is different) adaptation) but once adapted most carnivores go much less (frequency and volume).

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm a girl so I still use toilet paper. I do know what you mean though. BM's are lessened on the eating plan. However, I have to watch the fat intake (sometimes) because I had the gallbladder removed last year. It's trickier but adaptable. If I do to much fat at one time I will have a dumping syndrome episode. TMI..I know.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Had to tap the fuck out on the carnivore thing. M-I-S-E-R-A-B-L-E. Since we were already in Ketosis from eating nothing but flesh we made the easy jump to Keto. Much happier now.

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Yeah, I need a little more than meat. Made some saute'd spinach to go with my braised mojo pork tonight. For sweets, I'll have a lemon/lime slushy later on with fresh squeezed juices, erythritol, and ice in the Nutri-Bullet.

Gonna try a lime/coconut cream version tomorrow.

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Yeah, I need a little more than meat. Made some saute'd spinach to go with my braised mojo pork tonight. For sweets, I'll have a lemon/lime slushy later on with fresh squeezed juices, erythritol, and ice in the Nutri-Bullet.

Gonna try a lime/coconut cream version tomorrow.

I have never once in my life been excited to see zucchini. Its good, and I like it but it is not particularly a sexy veggie. You would have thought I opened an Xbox for Christmas today.

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I have never once in my life been excited to see zucchini. Its good, and I like it but it is not particularly a sexy veggie. You would have thought I opened an Xbox for Christmas today.
:D :D :D

I try to stick to things that are leafy, and a bit of cauliflower.

You can also turn zucchini into veggie spaghetti, and use a homemade Alfredo to make a good keto-friendly dinner. Add some chicken that was breaded with either almond or coconut flour, and melt some provolone and mozzarella cheese on it.

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
:D :D :D

I try to stick to things that are leafy, and a bit of cauliflower.

You can also turn zucchini into veggie spaghetti, and use a homemade Alfredo to make a good keto-friendly dinner. Add some chicken that was breaded with either almond or coconut flour, and melt some provolone and mozzarella cheese on it.

We have a couple of spiralizers for when we go raw. Now that we are off the all meat thing it starts getting better from here. That lime coconut slushy sounds awesome.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That is a good point, but many who have quit sugar have also quit alcohol

Moderate amounts of red wine have actual health benefits, sugar does not

Sugar also interferes with beneficial gut bacteria in a very big way, much the same as many artificial sweeteners which I disdain as much as processed sugar and corn syrups

And so-called "raw" sugar is not harm reduction, its just less processed - it does have extremely minute amounts of trace elements, but the amount is negligible
What about Sea Salt? Is it really full of fish piss?

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
What about Sea Salt? Is it really full of fish piss?

The iodine of sea salt is naturally occurring rather than a adulterant as you find in regular table salt - no ammonia, lol

Pink Himalayan salt is what everyone is raving about these days - also contains many many trace minerals

Quit being a dick

He's just razzing me - he can't help himself

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Every time I see this thread I have to do a double take.

Keto spam is the most dominant of all the spam that shows up on the forum.

I promise I won't spam ban you guys :D

VU Sponsors