Become a Patron!

Bad taste with Uwell Crown and iPV D2

I've been vaping for about 9 months now. I have some experience but there are a lot of things that I don't understand. About a month ago I upgraded to the iPV D2 mod and the Uwell Crown sub tank. I've been VERY happy with the performance of the set up and I haven't had any problems.. until now.

I realized that my tank came with three different types of coils, 0.5 ohm, 0.25 ohm, and and an Ni200 coil, all dual coils. Until now I thought that my tank just came with two replacement 0.5 ohm coils. This is the first mod I've had that has Joule temperature control capabilities so I wanted to try out the Ni200 coil and see how it was. I primed the coil with juice and let the coil sit for 30 minutes to get nice and saturated and I started the coil out at 380 degrees and 20 Joules. I read this suggestion online. It was a way of breaking the coil in. The flavor that I got was awful. It was somewhere between burnt rubber and burnt cotton from a dirty coil. It was really bad. I thought this was weird because I had followed instructions for a good start to a new Ni200 coil. I figured I would put it aside for now and see what the problem was later. I decided to put my old coil back in, the one that had been working just fine.

This is where my real problem comes in. Before putting my old coil back in I swabbed the outside with a q-tip and cleaned it up. The flavor still tasted awful, the same as it did with the Ni200. It's been about an hour, I've been trying to run some juice through it and see if that helped any. I've got almost no change in the flavor. Does anyone know what is causing this and how to fix it? I've never run into this problem and I'm not entirely certain how to find the solution. If anyone has any ideas they can send my way I'd love to hear them. Also, keep in mind I'm pretty basic when it comes to terminology on these things.

It is probably worth stating that I have taken the tank apart and cleaned it all up and filled it with new juice. I am still using the same 0.25ohm coil though and still getting a bad taste that never happened with this coil prior to the Ni200 coil.

Thanks

Last edited:

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
now i personally tend to start my prime around 320 and 20J taking the J up 5 at a time till 40 then i go down to 30 and raise temp 10 at a time till i find my sweet spot for the flavor. Ni does take a bit to break in like a tank or less for some and a tank or more for others. if the juice does not wick fast enough it could get a burnt taste if the juice has to much pg or even Alcohol it could mess with things. most people do a method like or based on

now i personally tend to start my prime around 320 and 20J taking the J up 5 at a time till 40 then i go down to 30 and raise temp 10 at a time till i find my sweet spot for the flavor. Ni does take a bit to break in like a tank or less for some and a tank or more for others. if the juice does not wick fast enough it could get a burnt taste if the juice has to much pg or even Alcohol it could mess with things. most people do a method like or based on
This is actually where I got the info on priming the coil. I will get more info on the Ni200 but I want to figure out why I have this awful taste from the 0.25 ohm coil that I never had before I tried the Ni200.

lordmage

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
even the SS head have Ni legs so i always start low and work my way up in power mode. TC is hit and miss due to the Ni leg on SS coil.

I have noticed that there are a lot of posts referring to a metallic taste with a Ni coil. I tried the Ni coil again and I've definitely noticed a metallic taste in mine. The odd thing is that is the same taste that I get from the SS coils, both the .25 and .5 ohm. That makes me think the taste is not coming from the coil.

lordmage

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have noticed that there are a lot of posts referring to a metallic taste with a Ni coil. I tried the Ni coil again and I've definitely noticed a metallic taste in mine. The odd thing is that is the same taste that I get from the SS coils, both the .25 and .5 ohm. That makes me think the taste is not coming from the coil.
read up in my above post. all crown heads will have to some degree or other Ni 200 wire. with the SS heads it is used just for the legs but the Ni 200 temp head it is the whole length of the coil and legs. so you could still be tasting the Ni or the cotton pads.

VU Sponsors