Become a Patron!

Basic MOSFET wiring

VapingGuitarist

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
@david4500 , do you have contact info for the person who designed the mosfet pcb's? I need a refund. They are nice boards but they are unusable! The holes for the 510, bat.- ground and switch are WAY too small! 18awg wire just barely fits the 510 and bat.- holes and the switch hole is too small for even 20awg wire!
I plan to use a 3cell LiPo and I need to use 14awg and 18awg wires. I could solder the wires to the mosfet, but that defeats the purpose of the board!

Shawn

phatbastud

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
bd9e84442487580bd0d8f95d7fb21e57.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
Hi all, looking at building this, parts should be with me next week so looking to build next weekend, ill post pictures all the way, question I'm having trouble with is how would i hook up a volt meter and the led contacts on the switch? its got me completely baffled, I'm no newb to electronics having built a 3d printer, cnc and so on, but i just can't get my head around it, probably looking too deep into it and missing the (probably easy)point, any help would be amazing so thanks in advance....

VapingGuitarist

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
The easiest way is the positive lead of the volt meter goes to the switch and the negative lead of the volt meter can go to the 510 ground. As for the switch led, you'll need the proper resistor and I would wire the switch led with the resistor inline with one of the postive battery sled contacts and the switch negative to ground.

Hope this helps,

Shawn

phatbastud

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
That makes a bit of sense, what resistor would I need for the mom switch and would I need one for pos and neg, or just pos? Am I assuming switch neg goes to gate, not used mosfets or dpdt, all my electrical skills are with pcs, arduino, 3d cnc etc etc

DIY FancyLights

Member For 4 Years
One resistor on either leg of the LED is all you need. There are resistor calculators online that take into account your voltage, LED voltage & desired current to get estimated resistor values.

phatbastud

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Thanks, checked on the site I ordered from and there's no specs on it, just a suggestion to use a 470r resistor based on the series voltage at 8.4v, they don't have stock of these so would this be an equivalent
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/metal-film-06w-470-ohm-resistor-m470r
Also, when the mod is switched from series to parallel, would this make the led dimmer due to half the voltage or is that just me being thick as fxxk lol
Ive built some mad shit in my time, but this has fried me, not used to mosfets and resistors, I've always spent that little extra to get plug and play to save time, although I am quite useful with a soldering iron and am really looking forward to building this, VU has taught me quite a bit so far and I'm starting to get my head around it all, and any help is a great help....
Cheers in advance​

VapingGuitarist

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Thanks, checked on the site I ordered from and there's no specs on it, just a suggestion to use a 470r resistor based on the series voltage at 8.4v, they don't have stock of these so would this be an equivalent
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/metal-film-06w-470-ohm-resistor-m470r
Also, when the mod is switched from series to parallel, would this make the led dimmer due to half the voltage or is that just me being thick as fxxk lol
Ive built some mad shit in my time, but this has fried me, not used to mosfets and resistors, I've always spent that little extra to get plug and play to save time, although I am quite useful with a soldering iron and am really looking forward to building this, VU has taught me quite a bit so far and I'm starting to get my head around it all, and any help is a great help....
Cheers in advance​
How did your build turn out? Any pics?

Shawn

Does anyone have a wiring diagram to add some led bulbs to the box interior preferable that will turn on when u hit the fire button. I'm sure someone has done this and either had a diagram or the ability to create the diagram I've looked for hours and can't find one online.

VU Sponsors