Become a Patron!

Battery Problems with Kanger

Hello,

I have been using a Kanger Toptank Mini for about 6 months now and I have recently been having some troubles with my batteries. I have been using 5x Sony VTC4 batteries (2000mah), they were working fine for about 4 months and then my mod started to have trouble detecting them. I have to push them in and find a 'sweet spot' by rolling them around inside the mod for them to be recognized otherwise the mod just doesn't work. Once I find the correct spot they seem to work just fine though. This happened to all of my batteries at the same time so I'm thinking it is a problem with the mod or my charger. How long before I should be buying a new set of batteries? Any suggestions as to what I should do about this or what the problem could be?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
With what you described, I'd suspect the entire issue to be in the mod.
If rolling them or moving them around inside the mod makes them work, more than likely the contacts are the issue.
Could be bad solder or numerous other things.
But if rolling them makes them work, I'd say it can't be the batteries or external charger.
However since I can't see them or it, I'm speculating.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Give the contacts in the battery compartment a good clean with an alcohol wipe or q-tip and alcohol. Clean the ends of the batteries as well, out of the mod, one end at a time. Check your batteries for any denting on the negative or positive end and that the wrap has no nicks with bare metal showing through. Basic maintenance. If that doesn't do it try a different set of batteries. After that you can assume it's the mod.

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The Kanger Subtank mini is usually a (6) month mod..... If you use it daily and drop it on it's side on a table, ride a bike carry in your pocket and Vape it tank after tank, you will be lucky to get 6 or 8 months out it and especially if it's your only mod !

Most of us Vaping folks have learned with time on keeping a back up box and some even 20 mods realizing that one could go any day....

So if cleaning contacts, or maybe adjusting them, you might even look for new batteries and it continues doing the same, I would start considering getting a back up in case she blows...... It happens at times your not expecting !!!

So a nice new box mod would be being prepared..... Cool.......

Sent from my 710C using Tapatalk

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The Kanger Subtank mini is usually a (6) month mod.....
I was unaware of that.
Might be because I don't have one and don't see one in my future.
Come to think of it, I don't have ANY Kanger mods.
I ordered a KBOX 200 but wife took it as soon as I got it.
Funny how that works.

Most of us Vaping folks have learned with time on keeping a back up box and some even 20 mods realizing that one could go any day....
I agree with this.
I may go overboard on how many backups I think I need but now it's more of a collection rather than simply having backups.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have had my Subox mini for about a year now and the only issue I've had was after it got dropped. The positive pin got pushed in and it would no longer make proper contact work the battery. I took something thin (can't remember what) and used it to kinda pry and pop the contact back out. After that it worked fine. So, did you drop it?

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was unaware of that.
Funny how that works.

I agree with this.
I may go overboard on how many backups I think I need but now it's more of a collection rather than simply having backups.
These Chinese folks are smarter, they have no intentions on building a mod box you can get (2) or (3) years out of....

They want you to get a new mod at least every (6) months and they want profits, building a box for $2.00 and selling it for $$10.00 to15.00 and here in USA they sell it for $35.00

That's how the system works.......

No dropping of the mod or anything like that, this problem just started randomly. Thanks all for the replies, very helpful, I will start looking for a new mod as cleaning the batteries & contacts made no difference. Is it dangerous to keep using it like this or fine to continue using until it eventually stops working altogether? Once the battery is in place I have no problems until I need to swap it out for a charged battery

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just use it, but what will happen if it simply dies ? Just be prepared.........

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
These Chinese folks are smarter, they have no intentions on building a mod box you can get (2) or (3) years out of....

They want you to get a new mod at least every (6) months and they want profits, building a box for $2.00 and selling it for $$10.00 to15.00 and here in USA they sell it for $35.00

That's how the system works.......

I well aware of planned obsolescence. I don't expect it to last forever and it's probably lasted me so long because it hardly gets used these days.

@Lefty gave a good suggestion. Try that out.

Edit to add- sorry just read your post saying you didn't drop it.

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Been using a Kbox mini for 11 months now, my everyday mod. Nary a glitch so far.
Dropped a couple of times too.

Like em so well I bought 2 more 50W and 1 75 W.
I also have about 6 other regulated mods but just keep using the Kbox mini.

dcarpentier

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I would be a little concerned about a possible 'chattering' connection. If the battery is working, then fine.. if it's not, then you roll it around until it does.. then fine. But, what about when it's in an in-between state and making intermittent connection. I would think that a 12amp (or whatever depending on your coil/wattage) flow being rapidly started and stopped may not be good for either the battery or the mod itself.
At the worst, you'd have arcing (high heat point) and could cause battery destruction.
At best , the mod's circuit board may just die due to the surging.

My 002 is, stop using it. If you can't fix it then write it off.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would be a little concerned about a possible 'chattering' connection. If the battery is working, then fine.. if it's not, then you roll it around until it does.. then fine. But, what about when it's in an in-between state and making intermittent connection. I would think that a 12amp (or whatever depending on your coil/wattage) flow being rapidly started and stopped may not be good for either the battery or the mod itself.
At the worst, you'd have arcing (high heat point) and could cause battery destruction.
At best , the mod's circuit board may just die due to the surging.

My 002 is, stop using it. If you can't fix it then write it off.
Yep. It may be repairable but if you can't fix it then do not use it.

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was unaware of that.
Funny how that works.
Damn, I have to correct myself.
After looking up on my shelf I noticed the box of the red KBOX 200 my wife stole form me, a light blue subox mini, and a pink subox nana.
I had forgot my wife and daughter had those for a short period.
However while they were using them neither ever had an issue with the mod.
If there were ever a problem to have with a tank, my daughter has had it.
She can take a tank that works perfect for the entire world and figure out how to have problems with it.
That is why I quit buying them for her and make her buy her own now.
Ok, maybe also because she is 22, but that's an entirely different story.

VU Sponsors