Become a Patron!

Broken Melo 3 Mini, Need 2 New Tanks, MTL & DTL, Need advise regarding flavor as well

bhaviljain68

Member For 1 Year
Hi Everyone,

* Before we begin, I'm from india, we do not have grand vape shops here (not in my city at least), so trying this out is not really an option for me. I order everything from aliexpress (exceot eJuices), it take over a month to reach me.

I'm new to the forum, vaping since a year on my melo 3 mini and iStick pico with 0.3 ohm EC coils.

Up until 2 months ago, It was all good, but then I started researching a little and found out a few thing, more on that later.

I bought a pack of vaporesso 0.9 ohm cCell coil (Golden sleeve, 3x3 hexagonal holes, cannot see cotton). Because I had read that they last much longer than the normal EC coils and due to ceramic, the taste is much better.

So today morning I swapped out my EC and put in this one, while it screws in perfectly, it kept on leaking heavily, I though it was the coil's fault, but then i remembered that I had dropped my kit pretty bad a few days ago. So i checked and found out that the base of the tank was a little outwards on one side. When i put in a new EC coil It gave me an error sating no atomizer (this happened a few times before as well, so i guess its random), but no matter how many times I unscrewed and screwed the atomizer, the error didn't go away.

So basically the tank is broken. :( , But it served me well for nearly a year so i guess its was a job well done.

So coming to the question, I want to buy new tanks, For both MTL and DTL.

Up until now, I was DTL-ing, oblivious to the fact that there was something like MTL (No wonder I could not reduce my smoking). But as i said, I started researching and now i want to shift to MTL.

So for that I found out that the Triton would fit melo 3 mini and would make MTL on the Melo 3 possible (Still not sure if its the triton or the triton-mini that fits the melo 3 mini). So planned to order the triton 1.8, but by mistake ... ended up ordering the 1.8 nautilus coils (I know, one has to be pretty stupid to make such a mistake :( trust me, i feel it ).

So now I have,
- 1 pack of 0.9 vaporesso cCell coils.
- 1 pack of 1.8 aspire nautilus coils.
- 2.5 packs of eLeaf EC 0.3 coils.
- An array of 510 driptips (Flat, round, narrow bore, wide bore, metal, plastic).
- And a broken tank.
- The Perfectly working iStick Pico.

So, For DTL, I was thinking of buying th e Melo 4 (not mini). Would the coils mentioned above (except nautilus) fit in? How would you guys rate the melo 4? Is there a better option? I'm not a cloud chaser, i just want good flavor and less hassle and keep my spending in a limit. I;d prefer tanks which can use these coils coz i have nearly 20 pops of those, and would hate it if the go to waste.

And, for MTL, I was thinking of buying aspire nautilus 2, the reviews are good (plus i already have spare coils :p ). I am open to other tanks as well. I'm even open to the idea of buying a vape 'pen', I saw one from Kanger that had 4ml capacity and 2500 Mah, sounds great and would serve me well, but its non variable output, and uses a different coil. But if its good performance wise, then i do not mind the coils i have go to waste, as its only 1 pack. And carrying a pen sounds more convenient than carrying a mod.

Well, thats all for the tank part.

PS: I have a heat sink that taller than the battery cap, so diameter of the tank doesn't really matter I think

Now on to the eLiquid part.
Predominantly, in India, the eLiquids available are 70% PG / 30% VG.
This ratio, plus sub-ohming, I would burn thru them very fast. That's not good on the pocket!

So I bought pure VG and started mixing it with these eLiquids. I try to get a 50/50 ratio
(Logic : 10ml of eLiquid has 7ml of PG and 3ml of VG, So add 4ml of pure VG to get 7ml PG + 7ml VG=14ml eLiquid... feel free to correct me here if i'm wrong)

I assumed that VG being thicker, would require higher temp to burn (I keep it between 40 to 50 watts) . While true, I am getting many dry hits and even if not, my coils burn out faster. Also, my coils gunk up a lot. I read somewhere that the color and overall thickness (viscosity) of the liquid can gunk up the coils faster.
I have 2 kinds of liquids in this perspective. 1 is clear and very thin, the other is milky color and a little thick, like a frosted glass (this is the one I'm having problems with).

So my question is what PG/VG ratio is good For sub-ohming/DTL and ohming(??)/MTL.

I wish i had the option to make liquids from scratch, but i cant, as I'm yet to come across a seller in India that sells 100% nicotine concentrate online. So for now I'm stuck with mixing pre-made liquids with VG.

What i'm looking for is a decent throat hit, not really in for the clouds.

I hope that you guys can help me, I know this is a lot of information to process, and also that vaping preferences vary from person to person. But a general consensus would help me narrow down the option that I'm left with.

Thank you in advance to who ever takes the pains to read through the entire thing and for your suggestions. :)

Last edited:

bhaviljain68

Member For 1 Year
Ok, Update

Came back home and tried the melo 3 again.. Turns out its not leaking with the EC coils, and the one that was not working in the morning is working now. Not sure why it wasn't warking in the morning..:confused::confused::confused:. But glad that its working now!!;):inlove:

But I'm sure that something is broken in the tank.. the airflow ring is a little tilted on one side and hence, i guess, the cCells were leaking.

IMG_20180215_192649-min.jpg

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Take the leaking tank completely apart, (may as well clean it now) and carefully, put it back together, making sure the threading on screw in parts is correct and not cross threaded, o-rings are straight, and everything is nice and "hand tight" (don't use pliers). Prime and fill as usual, don't over prime, it only takes 2 drops or so.

DTL means you get bigger clouds faster, so lower mg nicotine is required vs MtL where clouds are smaller so a higher mg nic is required. Usually 3 to 6mg DTL and 12 to 18mg for MTL. Higher PG = more throat hit. Adding vg will not only make your juice thicker, it will make it smoother (less throat hit).
Most M2L tanks run better at 50/50 or 30/70 pg/vg. Though lower resistance coils can handle 20/80.
Not sure what you mean by 100% nicotine concentrate. Most use 100mg/ml so to make 100ml of 3mg nic juice you would use 3ml nicotine base + 97% pg/vg/flavor. (say 10% flavor (10ml pg base flavor), 70 ml VG and 17ml pg.) for a 30/70 3mg mix. So you need to know if your nicotine is pg or vg based (usually pg) and what base the flavor is, again, usually pg, and add more pg to make up the desired percentage. So basically... nic,flavor,pg (30%)/ VG (70%). (or whatever you choose to make.. 40/60, 50/50 etc)

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you want a new sub ohm tank check out the Veco tank as it takes euc coils and has good flavour.
I had problems with the Nautilus 2 flooding so i'd go with the trusty Nautilus Mini. That is still one of the best MTL tanks that takes pre made coils.
If your not gonna get a rebuildable these are both tanks with good flavour :)

bhaviljain68

Member For 1 Year
Thank you for the reply mate.

Take the leaking tank completely apart, (may as well clean it now) and carefully, put it back together, making sure the threading on screw in parts is correct and not cross threaded, o-rings are straight, and everything is nice and "hand tight" (don't use pliers). Prime and fill as usual, don't over prime, it only takes 2 drops or so.

This is what i did, before i put in the cCell, but it leaked like crazy from the airflow vents.
Bt when I put back the EC coil and its not leaking. So i guess there's some king of incompatibility with Melo 3 mini and cCell.(?) the coils look like the same size though.
See the image I;ve posted in the 2nd post. The problem is not with any other fittings, but the base of the tank itself, due to which the airflow slider is bent :(

DTL means you get bigger clouds faster, so lower mg nicotine is required vs MtL where clouds are smaller so a higher mg nic is required. Usually 3 to 6mg DTL and 12 to 18mg for MTL. Higher PG = more throat hit. Adding vg will not only make your juice thicker, it will make it smoother (less throat hit).
Most M2L tanks run better at 50/50 or 30/70 pg/vg. Though lower resistance coils can handle 20/80.

Thanks for the DTL vs MTL info. I'll keep this in mind. Are you sure that 70% vg is good for MTL?? What resistance coils can take that 70% VG?

Not sure what you mean by 100% nicotine concentrate. Most use 100mg/ml so to make 100ml of 3mg nic juice you would use 3ml nicotine base + 97% pg/vg/flavor. (say 10% flavor (10ml pg base flavor), 70 ml VG and 17ml pg.) for a 30/70 3mg mix. So you need to know if your nicotine is pg or vg based (usually pg) and what base the flavor is, again, usually pg, and add more pg to make up the desired percentage. So basically... nic,flavor,pg (30%)/ VG (70%). (or whatever you choose to make.. 40/60, 50/50 etc)

That exactly what i meant by 100% nic juice. 100gm/ml. Though my problem is not about making ejuice from scratch, but adding vg to pre-mixed/made ejuice.

What would be your recommendations on the tank part?? I'd really like to order ASAP, coz I'm not sure when my Melo 3 mini will give up on me.

Thanks again.

bhaviljain68

Member For 1 Year
If you want a new sub ohm tank check out the Veco tank as it takes euc coils and has good flavour.
I had problems with the Nautilus 2 flooding so i'd go with the trusty Nautilus Mini. That is still one of the best MTL tanks that takes pre made coils.
If your not gonna get a rebuildable these are both tanks with good flavour :)

Thank you for sharing your experience with me.

I'll keep these pointers in mind when purchasing. :)

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Are you sure that 70% vg is good for MTL?
It's all I ever used. I wouldn't go much higher vg than 70% for mtl though.

What resistance coils can take that 70% VG?
anything 0.50 or lower should handle it ok.

recommendations on the tank part?
I only recommend items I have used. I have been using a Kanger toptank mini for maybe 21 months now. Same applies as stated above to avoid dripping and leakage of course. I find that by changing airflow and drip tips, you can either d2l or m2l quite easily. Mind you, it won't be anything like an RDA but better m2l flavor than those tiny 1.8 ohm coils. It comes with a 0.50, 0.30 premade coil AND... an RBA mini with 2 pre-coiled wire coils, that you can make your own coils on and use your own wick. Its much easier to pay $7 for 30 ft of wire than $3.50 or so per coil. lol. Not to mention, if you burn your cotton, you dont have to toss the whole coil, just put another bit in and vape on. I think I have some videos on my channel on youtube. Same username as here. Here is a search.. the first 4 vids are mine.

https://ca.video.search.yahoo.com/y...=251fa2e74a59490432fde9a22b6ff910&action=view

I don't really edit much, so that Joe Average can see that if the idiot in the video can do it.. he can to. lol.

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's all I ever used. I wouldn't go much higher vg than 70% for mtl though.

anything 0.50 or lower should handle it ok.

I only recommend items I have used. I have been using a Kanger toptank mini for maybe 21 months now. Same applies as stated above to avoid dripping and leakage of course. I find that by changing airflow and drip tips, you can either d2l or m2l quite easily. Mind you, it won't be anything like an RDA but better m2l flavor than those tiny 1.8 ohm coils. It comes with a 0.50, 0.30 premade coil AND... an RBA mini with 2 pre-coiled wire coils, that you can make your own coils on and use your own wick. Its much easier to pay $7 for 30 ft of wire than $3.50 or so per coil. lol. Not to mention, if you burn your cotton, you dont have to toss the whole coil, just put another bit in and vape on. I think I have some videos on my channel on youtube. Same username as here. Here is a search.. the first 4 vids are mine.

https://ca.video.search.yahoo.com/y...=251fa2e74a59490432fde9a22b6ff910&action=view

I don't really edit much, so that Joe Average can see that if the idiot in the video can do it.. he can to. lol.
I use a Subtank Mini which is basically just a top tack with bottomfill and it's perfect for MTL. I've used the RBA for years

VU Sponsors