Become a Patron!

Can't get TC to work w/ mini RBA plus on Kangertech Nebox

justlikeammy

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've been wrestling with my vape for 4 hours now! (Literally...sadly). I've rebuilt my rba at least 7 times and am having less than stellar results. I'll start by listing a bunch of facts:

-I've been using this nebox for 3 weeks now without troubles, with the pre-built ni200 and Ti organic cotton coils and the pre-wound wires that came with the kit to install in the RBA. Since I got the kit, I've had it set between 24-28 watts & ~290 degrees, and it's worked wonderfully with all the coils that came with the box. It's the exact same RBA I'm still using, so nothing in my kit was faulty.

-After discussion in a different thread on this forum, I settled with 30 gauge ni200 wire to build my coils with. I've been wrapping them at 3mm diameter.

-After reassembling my build and preparing to fire it up, all 7 of my builds failed. I didn't get dry hits--they just didn't work. I got maybe a few poofs of vapor, and that was it. Ohms read between .06-.14 depending on how many times I wound it. I cranked the nebox to 60w & fired it up, still hardly anything, no matter how many wraps I did.

-After 3-4 hours (literally) I switched the TC off and went into wattage mode. Setting it at about 18 watts provided a great vaping experience much more like I was used to! ****EDIT: This isn't wattage mode! The nebox let's me just simply turn off the TC control. It's in an entirely different menu than choosing 'W-Mode".

-If I crank the TC to 500-600 degrees, it becomes closer to what it should be. But that seems outrageous, and is well above burn points for juice/cotton/etc.

So if my wire functions in wattage mode, doesn't function in TC mode, but TC mode functioned just fine when I used all the stock pre-built options, what is even going on??? It's not my wicking, I mastered that when I was using the pre-wound coils that came in the box!

Did I buy the wrong wire? Is it too thick, thin? I can't keep wasting juice and wire trying to figure it out, and I've tried all the apps that tell you how many times to wire it and searched google for hours, I really need some help, I feel like I'm just missing something. I'd prefer to be able to use TC, because I really like the safety of not cooking my cotton/juice/etc. I'm hoping it doesn't boil down to me having to choose between paying for pre-built coils and ditching TC :(

Last edited:

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
1st off. DO NOT use Ni200 wire in watt mode it's highly unsafe
after that Ni wire as a whole is just not good for vaping. If you are going to build you own coils i'd suggest going with kenhtal, nichrome, or SS (I prefer SS) and just use power mode. and if you wanted to get back into temp control get a device that does SS wire in temp mode (most of them do) or you can keep buying the premade coils.

You don't have to ditch TC, best bet is to buy a better TC device and some SS wire and then you can build your own coils and use them in watt or TC mode at will

justlikeammy

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
1st off. DO NOT use Ni200 wire in watt mode it's highly unsafe
after that Ni wire as a whole is just not good for vaping. If you are going to build you own coils i'd suggest going with kenhtal, nichrome, or SS (I prefer SS) and just use power mode. and if you wanted to get back into temp control get a device that does SS wire in temp mode (most of them do) or you can keep buying the premade coils.

You don't have to ditch TC, best bet is to buy a better TC device and some SS wire and then you can build your own coils and use them in watt or TC mode at will

So you think it's because the wire is made of nickel? Damn it, I thought I researched that would be a good one for me. Sigh, I wish there was more of a consensus on these things. I should have just gone with SS because that's what the nebox came with, but I have bad fingers so I decided nickel because it's easier to use, I read.

I'll have to order some SS right now. Sucks to wait another 3 days I don't have any other build to use, so it looks like nickel in wattage mode for a while lol

Thanks so much for your reply! I've been very frustrated doing everything seemingly right only to meet failure...

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
So you think it's because the wire is made of nickel? Damn it, I thought I researched that would be a good one for me. Sigh, I wish there was more of a consensus on these things. I should have just gone with SS because that's what the nebox came with, but I have bad fingers so I decided nickel because it's easier to use, I read.

I'll have to order some SS right now. Sucks to wait another 3 days I don't have any other build to use, so it looks like nickel in wattage mode for a while lol

Thanks so much for your reply! I've been very frustrated doing everything seemingly right only to meet failure...
you can't use nickel in wattage mode. please it's very unsafe.
I know it's hard to get good info, especially since a lot of it is old out there. maybe you can go to a local shop or something or there has to be a place that sells rolls of wire near you?

justlikeammy

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
you can't use nickel in wattage mode. please it's very unsafe.
I know it's hard to get good info, especially since a lot of it is old out there. maybe you can go to a local shop or something or there has to be a place that sells rolls of wire near you?

Well the entire purpose of all of this is to not spend a lot of money, so those options sort of go out the window. At this point I just want a cigarette (4 hours!) so I'm sure wattage mode is still better.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Well the entire purpose of all of this is to not spend a lot of money, so those options sort of go out the window. At this point I just want a cigarette (4 hours!) so I'm sure wattage mode is still better.
https://www.reddit.com/r/electronic...an_i_use_nickel_coils_on_wattage_mode_on_mod/
sorry to hear that and I don't want you back on cigs. maybe a suggestion, try and make sure sure all the connections are really tight on the wire to the RBA deck. loose screws make the resistance jump and cause TC not to work

justlikeammy

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
https://www.reddit.com/r/electronic...an_i_use_nickel_coils_on_wattage_mode_on_mod/
sorry to hear that and I don't want you back on cigs. maybe a suggestion, try and make sure sure all the connections are really tight on the wire to the RBA deck. loose screws make the resistance jump and cause TC not to work

I'll give that a shot if I get the ambition to open it again! Until then, it might make you feel better that I've discovered if I max my nebox at 60watts and 600degrees the vapor is halfway vaguelly decent on the ni200! So at least that's something to hold me over.

I do have a question, though. Apart from health stuff or melting, why is ni200 so much crappier at vaping than SS? All I have to compare it to is my homemade ones with ni200 and the pre-made ones of SS that came in my kit, but if everyone else has that same stark contrast in performance I'm a little confused why ni200 is even sold...

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I'll give that a shot if I get the ambition to open it again! Until then, it might make you feel better that I've discovered if I max my nebox at 60watts and 600degrees the vapor is halfway vaguelly decent on the ni200! So at least that's something to hold me over.

I do have a question, though. Apart from health stuff or melting, why is ni200 so much crappier at vaping than SS? All I have to compare it to is my homemade ones with ni200 and the pre-made ones of SS that came in my kit, but if everyone else has that same stark contrast in performance I'm a little confused why ni200 is even sold...
Ni Is really weak and springy, it has a real low resistance, and can't be dry fired to remove hot spots.
Ss is less springy has a higher resistance can be dry burned to remove hot spots can be used in watt or TC mode comes in fancy wire if you please like aliens and such, and just has no flavor to ruin your juice

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer

It was the 1st wire people found out can be used for temp control vaping plus it has other uses like all wire we use.

justlikeammy

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ni Is really weak and springy, it has a real low resistance, and can't be dry fired to remove hot spots.
Ss is less springy has a higher resistance can be dry burned to remove hot spots can be used in watt or TC mode comes in fancy wire if you please like aliens and such, and just has no flavor to ruin your juice

Guess this doesn't help me--the Nebox only supports Ti and ni200 for TC modes. It let's me disable TC even after I specify that it's the ni200 coil in the interface, I wonder if that's the same?

Guess I'll just have to get a thinner gauge of ni200. Maybe 34 would boost my resistance enough to have it fire for proper vaping, I think the coil is too low resistance for it to get hot enough.

I noticed the manual has specifications for ohms for the different materials—it lists .15-1.3ohm for ni200. The one I have now is at .15, and the vapor it produces at 60w at 600 degrees is similar to that of a standard ego-t. But just that it lists that specification makes me wonder if more ohms would help--which I can't do with my 30 gauge, since I already have 9 turns in the one I have in there now.

The manual only lists ni200, ti, and nichrome, and the gui only gives me specifc modes for ni200, ti, and wattage mode. I'm confused what my nebox is even capable of supporting? Does it only list a few metal options, or are those restrictions on what it can use?

If my only options on the table are ni200, ti, and nichrome as restricted by the manual, I guess my only practical option for what I want to do is buy thinner gauge ni200 and hope it works? I don't know. It's just quite annoying, because I fell in love with vaping because of the ego-t but grew to hate its down sides, and now I come to learn mod box vapes is possibly even more frustrating.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Guess this doesn't help me--the Nebox only supports Ti and ni200 for TC modes. It let's me disable TC even after I specify that it's the ni200 coil in the interface, I wonder if that's the same?

Guess I'll just have to get a thinner gauge of ni200. Maybe 34 would boost my resistance enough to have it fire for proper vaping, I think the coil is too low resistance for it to get hot enough.

I noticed the manual has specifications for ohms for the different materials—it lists .15-1.3ohm for ni200. The one I have now is at .15, and the vapor it produces at 60w at 600 degrees is similar to that of a standard ego-t. But just that it lists that specification makes me wonder if more ohms would help--which I can't do with my 30 gauge, since I already have 9 turns in the one I have in there now.

The manual only lists ni200, ti, and nichrome, and the gui only gives me specifc modes for ni200, ti, and wattage mode. I'm confused what my nebox is even capable of supporting? Does it only list a few metal options, or are those restrictions on what it can use?

If my only options on the table are ni200, ti, and nichrome as restricted by the manual, I guess my only practical option for what I want to do is buy thinner gauge ni200 and hope it works? I don't know. It's just quite annoying, because I fell in love with vaping because of the ego-t but grew to hate its down sides, and now I come to learn mod box vapes is possibly even more frustrating.
Why do u need temp control? Your better off using power mode with SS wire or even kenthal or nichorme if u wanted and just forgetting temp control

justlikeammy

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Why do u need temp control? Your better off using power mode with SS wire or even kenthal or nichorme if u wanted and just forgetting temp control

I like TC. Zeroing in on the best spot for my flavors with watts and temp was awesome and worked great. Plus, I could specify it to make sure nothing ever broke down in weird ways, no matter what type of juice or metal or wick I wanted to use I put in.

Also, I just figued out it wasn't "ssocc" that came with my nebox--that was a false listing on some weird website. I'm not sure what the prewound wires they gave me I've been using were made of (I actually emailed them and asked) but the disposable coils that I had already been using was ni200! I just don't understand, I must have bought the wrong gauge or something, nothing makes sense to me anymore lol

SirVtHondaGuy08

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Do 9 full wraps of Ni200 at 3mm inner diameter and that should make you ohm out to be around .2, secure it in the rba then take the battery out of the mode to reset the resistance. Put the tank back on the mod install the battery and try that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors