Become a Patron!

Civility

pcrdude

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The recent exchanges here (and other places) got me wondering about a perceived reduction in civility on the web, at schools, on the road, and in the workplace. I was raised to treat people with civility from janitor to CEO. From children to the elderly. On the road as well. Pretty much everyone, everywhere.

Granted, I have a temper, and I do believe people can be pushed too far. But maybe, just maybe if people treated each other with more civility and respect, things wouldn't get out of hand so easily.

Has anyone else noticed the change over time? What do you think can be done about it?

DarkJester89

Member For 4 Years
I wouldnt say day one seeing that the web was created as a means of communication for the military.
With millions and billions of people, its bound to get clogged with the rotten apples of society.
Their will always be another side of the coin.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Surf Monkey

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The recent exchanges here (and other places) got me wondering about a perceived reduction in civility on the web, at schools, on the road, and in the workplace. I was raised to treat people with civility from janitor to CEO. From children to the elderly. On the road as well. Pretty much everyone, everywhere.

Granted, I have a temper, and I do believe people can be pushed too far. But maybe, just maybe if people treated each other with more civility and respect, things wouldn't get out of hand so easily.

Has anyone else noticed the change over time? What do you think can be done about it?

Amusing.

Having called me out by name for nearly a year on this site I finally come along to defend myself and that leads you to wonder about why the Internet is so agressive?? After making countless posts directed towards me that include the most egregious and offensive smears you can come up with? When I've not resorted to the same kind of nasty name calling and foul character assassinations?

Self awareness. You'd be more successful with even a small sliver of it.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I think it's because of what I call the "Jerry Springer phenomenon" -- there is big money in watching/hearing people act like complete asswipes -- monkey see, monkey do -- see enough of that crap on TV, it's bound to have fallout in personal interactions everywhere.

But, the online incivility goes back much further than the internet -- back in the early 90s when I was involved in amateur BBSs, I knew a guy who was a super nice guy in person, or on the phone... but behind his keyboard, he was satan incarnate.

Andria

Surf Monkey

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think it's because of what I call the "Jerry Springer phenomenon" -- there is big money in watching/hearing people act like complete asswipes -- monkey see, monkey do -- see enough of that crap on TV, it's bound to have fallout in personal interactions everywhere.

But, the online incivility goes back much further than the internet -- back in the early 90s when I was involved in amateur BBSs, I knew a guy who was a super nice guy in person, or on the phone... but behind his keyboard, he was satan incarnate.

Andria

Sky is blue.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

You mean like how members start threads on a VAPING forum to bait members for unrelated debates?

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
mega+facepaml+naked+gun.gif

pcrdude

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Amusing.

Having called me out by name for nearly a year on this site I finally come along to defend myself and that leads you to wonder about why the Internet is so agressive?? After making countless posts directed towards me that include the most egregious and offensive smears you can come up with? When I've not resorted to the same kind of nasty name calling and foul character assassinations?

No civility in this post.

;)

pcrdude

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
You mean like how members start threads on a VAPING forum to bait members for unrelated debates?

On can debate in a civil manner. In fact, plenty of civility was shown by both Andria and me in earlier in that very thread.

:D

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
On can debate in a civil manner. In fact, plenty of civility was shown by both Andria and me in earlier in that very thread.

:D
Why not go out in the forum and try helping with noobie questions about VAPING gear or something more productive, or join a debate forum because rumor has it , folks are for sure sick of this type of back and forth you seem to like to keep going. Just a suggestion which I am sure will get a ton of "likes" no?

pcrdude

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I wasn't trying to start a debate, or be uncivil. I thought it might be a nice discussion topic.

:rolleyes:

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I wasn't trying to start a debate, or be uncivil. I thought it might be a nice discussion topic.

:rolleyes:

Don't insult us. we are not stupid.
Clearly, you like to just antagonize and start shit.
One just has to look at your post history.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
We don't close threads, normally

This will stay open; But, thank you

pcrdude

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Well, then all I can do is continue to be civil in this thread.

;)

pcrdude

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

Andria

I knew people like that from the Usenet days as well.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I knew people like that from the Usenet days as well.

Yeah, I never got into that; it was pretty much usenet that killed the BBSs, which kinda irked me, so I just retired from online anything, until 1999, when the www was well-established. But the tradition of "satan behind keyboard" continues and grows. Retarded1 is a perfect example. :D

Andria

bondo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Amusing.

No civility in this post.

;)

I'd say he was quite civil about it and he isn't wrong.
Think about this whole situation from his side and tell us how you'd feel.
Regardless of past altercations,you sat back and bashed the man in a thread that was damn near created strictly for that purpose. Then when he shows up to defend himself you bash him some more.
And you want to know where the civility is????....:eek:

You're a special piece of work.:vino:

John Q Public

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I wouldnt say day one seeing that the web was created as a means of communication for the military.
With millions and billions of people, its bound to get clogged with the rotten apples of society.
Their will always be another side of the coin.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Shut up asshole!!

heh. I crack myself up.

pcrdude

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Funny.

Tip: having your thread closed =/= "I win!"

Based on some of the mod's comments, I thought it was the civil thing to do. There isn't anything to "win" here as far as I'm concerned....

Can we please lighten up?

Surf Monkey

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Why not go out in the forum and try helping with noobie questions about VAPING gear or something more productive, or join a debate forum because rumor has it , folks are for sure sick of this type of back and forth you seem to like to keep going. Just a suggestion which I am sure will get a ton of "likes" no?

By the way, I do read the open board quite a bit and it's been super helpful. I find that there's less brand bias here than on other boards so the advice I see here tends to be more accurate. Posts about the Uwell Crown tank really swayed my opinion on this tank recently, for example, but I've been lurking for a long time. PCR's attacks on me got so agressive that someone mentioned them on another site. That's the only reason I'm posting in this section. Because HE was extremely uncivil to ME.

But obviously y'all get that and good on y'a.

Surf Monkey

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes, I asked for a debate with a few from ECF. We got the debate, and it's done. I admitted in the OP that "sometimes I get a

Based on some of the mod's comments, I thought it was the civil thing to do. There isn't anything to "win" here as far as I'm concerned....

Can we please lighten up?

That's going to be on you.

A nice start would be to apologize to me for attacking my character for months and months. That seems like a genuinely civil thing you could do.

Pipug

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So, how did a thread about civility, created by one who seems to know NOTHING about civility degrade into this? Never mind, I answered my own question. :)

pcrdude

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
So, how did a thread about civility, created by one who seems to know NOTHING about civility degrade into this? Never mind, I answered my own question. :)

Was that civil? This is in "the mud pit" section, so maybe we can start an "un-civil" thread????

On second thought, maybe not.....

;)

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
View attachment 49798[/QUOTE]
No shit! WTF This forum use to be fun. Now its just a shit fest with trolls slinging shit everywhere. I basically had enough of this shit and plan to move the fuck out. I can't change assholes/trolls or whatnot. I can change what I choose to be associated with. I choose not to participate in a forum with a bunch of fucking whiners and I have the biggest penis syndrome. So whiners go fuck off, fuck yourself and have fun!

bondo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No shit! WTF This forum use to be fun. Now its just a shit fest with trolls slinging shit everywhere. I basically had enough of this shit and plan to move the fuck out. I can't change assholes/trolls or whatnot. I can change what I choose to be associated with. I choose not to participate in a forum with a bunch of fucking whiners and I have the biggest penis syndrome. So whiners go fuck off, fuck yourself and have fun![/QUOTE]

This is pretty much why I don't post all that often.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Seems an astonishing amount of incivility in a thread named "Civility." :facepalm:

Andria

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
View attachment 49798
No shit! WTF This forum use to be fun. Now its just a shit fest with trolls slinging shit everywhere. I basically had enough of this shit and plan to move the fuck out. I can't change assholes/trolls or whatnot. I can change what I choose to be associated with. I choose not to participate in a forum with a bunch of fucking whiners and I have the biggest penis syndrome. So whiners go fuck off, fuck yourself and have fun!
thank you,,, but please by all means, don't let this trite back and forth, display of immaturity keep you away.

Last edited:

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
All forums that are open and correctly moderated go through phases of troll attacks, poo slinging, and general assholeism's. Civility on the net is a concept, civility in real life dictates whether you get along with others or get your teeth knocked down your throat.

The internet and forums in particular tend to allow people to act in a way they would not act in society. For some, well, they act the same on the net and in real life.

There are trolls and troll hunters (who are trolls themselves) and people who just want to contribute and learn about Vaping here at VU. Every one of us has a dark side, that is just human nature. The measure of being "civil" is how we manage that situation.

Ever wonder why "Civil" people go completely apeshit when the flow of electrons stops in a big city (Electricity)? The convenience and assumed dependence on the electron is stripped causing normal people with morals and civility to go into survival mode with all the unpleasant aspects of human nature coming out in support of that survival. On the internet it's perceived anonymity that allows normal people who are moral and civil to act with impunity, there are no real repercussions for being a douche or an asshole.

What I have noticed is that there is a perceived notion that being non politically correct entitles the person to be a complete asshole. That's a false perception. You can be politically incorrect and a perfectly civilized person who isn't a total asshole. Holding differing viewpoints on issues and concepts doesn't make one an asshole, the way you act and voice those differing viewpoints and concepts does. I once read that perception is a 3 edged sword. Your Perception, Others Perception, and Reality.

pcrdude

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
All forums that are open and correctly moderated go through phases of troll attacks, poo slinging, and general assholeism's. Civility on the net is a concept, civility in real life dictates whether you get along with others or get your teeth knocked down your throat.

The internet and forums in particular tend to allow people to act in a way they would not act in society. For some, well, they act the same on the net and in real life.

There are trolls and troll hunters (who are trolls themselves) and people who just want to contribute and learn about Vaping here at VU. Every one of us has a dark side, that is just human nature. The measure of being "civil" is how we manage that situation.

Ever wonder why "Civil" people go completely apeshit when the flow of electrons stops in a big city (Electricity)? The convenience and assumed dependence on the electron is stripped causing normal people with morals and civility to go into survival mode with all the unpleasant aspects of human nature coming out in support of that survival. On the internet it's perceived anonymity that allows normal people who are moral and civil to act with impunity, there are no real repercussions for being a douche or an asshole.

What I have noticed is that there is a perceived notion that being non politically correct entitles the person to be a complete asshole. That's a false perception. You can be politically incorrect and a perfectly civilized person who isn't a total asshole. Holding differing viewpoints on issues and concepts doesn't make one an asshole, the way you act and voice those differing viewpoints and concepts does. I once read that perception is a 3 edged sword. Your Perception, Others Perception, and Reality.

I enjoyed reading that well thought out and IMHO accurate reply.

Internet forums aside, I see outrageous behavior on the roads, in stores (rudeness with the shopping cart, parking, etc.), and there are some famous examples of rudeness and bullying in schools at all grade levels. A previous generation was called the "me generation", but this is different. This is the "fuck you" generation as far as I can see.

It's like that guy from Happy Gilmore running around calling Happy a "Jackass" all the time. Sometimes it's more passive-aggressive like alluding to another person being stupid, or even worse. Over time, it tends to build up, and spreads like a virus.......

VU Sponsors