Become a Patron!

Coil only lasted 2 days with very light vaping?

peachyclouds

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
A couple days ago I put a fresh Kanger OCC coil in 1.2 ohms into my Kanger Topbox, primed it just as I do all the time, waited a little and then vaped. The flavor was super weak from the beginning, to the point where I was getting zero flavor out of my new bottle of hot chocolate juice. I originally thought the problem had to do with the juice itself, so I switched to a different flavor, took a couple puffs, then instantly got that nasty burnt coil taste. I think I had that coil in for no more than two days, and it just so happened I hardly vaped at all during that time. The tank was well filled so I don't imagine the coil would have dried out. My wattage was set to 17 watts, which shouldn't be too high for 1.2 ohms. And I've certainly not been chain vaping. What's causing this?

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Kanger definitely gets some dud coils, maybe 1 in 50-100. Could very well be this. Is the new coil performing okay?

peachyclouds

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Haven't gotten the chance to put a new one in just yet but all the others in the 5-pack it came in did okay.

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Haven't gotten the chance to put a new one in just yet but all the others in the 5-pack it came in did okay.
I'd chalk it up to a dud, unless the next one does the same. If the tank is getting hot, I'd change it right away.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Kanger has a habit of with the vertical coils to pack the cotton too tight so you should poke the cotton with a pin to loosen it up to help with juice flow. I use kanger subtank but haven't used a stock coil but the RBA but the same thinking could work for the OCC coils with a pair of tweezers and a brand new head is to grab the wick right beside the coil and pull a bit sideways, back and forth on both sides to maybe loosen the cotton a bit since if the cotton is too tight its going to choke the juice flow and burn. Many vids on how to rewick that OCC coil by just removing the cotton and not the wire, you'll get a much better vape once you learn the right amount of cotton to put back into the coil and several lives out of the stock head.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Chocolate will gunk up a coil real fast especially if there using Cocoa. I DIY and drip and I'm amazed how fast it'll gunk up a coil. Could be the problem.

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Chocolate will gunk up a coil real fast especially if there using Cocoa. I DIY and drip and I'm amazed how fast it'll gunk up a coil. Could be the problem.
Agreed. Chocolate cakes up in no time. I remember the nightmare from Capella's Fudge Brownie. After a couple of ml's it reminded me of smoking chocolate Lol

peachyclouds

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

Good point. The only thing is, I noticed a lack of flavor from the very first puff I took with the chocolate flavor, and I maybe took 10 puffs max before switching juice flavors because I just wasn't tasting a thing.

peachyclouds

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Kanger has a habit of with the vertical coils to pack the cotton too tight so you should poke the cotton with a pin to loosen it up to help with juice flow. I use kanger subtank but haven't used a stock coil but the RBA but the same thinking could work for the OCC coils with a pair of tweezers and a brand new head is to grab the wick right beside the coil and pull a bit sideways, back and forth on both sides to maybe loosen the cotton a bit since if the cotton is too tight its going to choke the juice flow and burn. Many vids on how to rewick that OCC coil by just removing the cotton and not the wire, you'll get a much better vape once you learn the right amount of cotton to put back into the coil and several lives out of the stock head.

Thanks for the tip! I'll check that out.

chuck333

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I know this thread is a few months old but on topic I find Kanger coils are weird. I always check a pack that supposed to be authentic to see that they are authentic, not that it matters because others, I find, are just as good sometimes. I had a pack of coils that each one burnt up in 2 days. Sometimes you get a pack of coils that last for weeks, each and every one in the pack. Sometimes you get a pack that tastes burnt from the first draw through it each and every one in the pack. Sometimes you get a pack that tastes great, each and every one in the pack. Some coils I can vape at well over 40W while others I can't go past say 27W. This is with all types and every coil in the pack is usually the same. I find there's little resemblance sometimes from pack to pack of the same type of coil. 2 packs of .5 ohm SSOCC coils will be totally different. Clapton OCC, SSOCC even the Ni200 are like that. Sometimes in TC I can vape at 470 sometimes only at 370 depending on the pack of coils. Fortunately most packs are good, some aren't. I haven't tried a lot of clone coils but I had a .15 ohm TC coil that came with my Toptank Mini clone and it was outstanding.

Last edited:

peachyclouds

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Figured I'd reply because the most recent Kanger coil I've used proves what you just said. I have the SSOCC in .5 ohms in right now and the thing has lasted me a good 3 weeks at 35W (admittedly I've been vaping a little less than usual but still...I've been impressed that not only has it not burnt out yet, but it's also still producing great flavor). Go figure.

Also I think part of the problem with the coil I mentioned in the original post was the juice... None of the coils I've tried with that hot cocoa have tasted good, and I have a bottle of Cinnamunch that seems to have not aged well and even the guys at the local shop agreed the juice itself tasted off. Never had that happen to me before so I assumed it was just the coil's fault.

chuck333

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I find that if the Kanger coils taste off at first and I knock down the watts to about 25 and vape about half a tank then I can crank them a bit at a time until they're "broken in". After about a tank and a half I can get them sailing at about 40W, no problem.

Whitesoxfan2579

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yes, it sounds like a bum coil to me. So far I've been very fortunate to have only run into one dud in seven months and three different coils for three different devices.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A couple days ago I put a fresh Kanger OCC coil in 1.2 ohms into my Kanger Topbox, primed it just as I do all the time, waited a little and then vaped. The flavor was super weak from the beginning, to the point where I was getting zero flavor out of my new bottle of hot chocolate juice. I originally thought the problem had to do with the juice itself, so I switched to a different flavor, took a couple puffs, then instantly got that nasty burnt coil taste. I think I had that coil in for no more than two days, and it just so happened I hardly vaped at all during that time. The tank was well filled so I don't imagine the coil would have dried out. My wattage was set to 17 watts, which shouldn't be too high for 1.2 ohms. And I've certainly not been chain vaping. What's causing this?
Coil = DOA
Kanger suffers from a much higher DOA quotient than other manufacturers.
I really want to like my Kanger TopTanks but when I know that 1 out of every 10 coils will be DOA.I have to ask myself."Why don't you just toss the fucking tank the coils are craptastic fucking loser get a decent tank and be done with it why keep the damn thing if the coils suck?"
Sigh...guess where my Kanger TopTank is.Yep sitting on my mod mocking me...Sigh

VU Sponsors