Vaping whilst slaying dragons in the land of Tyria
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Got a Milly wakeup about 4am....ugh.

Too early for using the electric grinder..it's as loud as a vacuum cleaner. 😬

So, I ground up some beans the old manual way. It produces a better dialed-in grind anyways for pour-over coffee. Just a fun ritual and good exercise. 👍😎☕

View attachment 212899

View attachment 212898

View attachment 212900

Yummy....
awesome grinder I have one similar somewhere still in storage, nothing like grinding the beans that way. Now, go get yourself a small roaster and roast the beans yourself. OMG that is heaven. You do need to let the fresh roasted beans "rest" for a day or so. easy enough to get the info online. But you will never want it any other way after that :)

Tornadoalleydeb

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Also, for some of ya, this may be huge...it's out today.

8c8a659838b7577c6e561b992da18637.jpg

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9018736/
Just finished watching this. I hope another season is coming

Tornadoalleydeb

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Project Dragonhead is well on its way. The jumbo Easter egg cut and shaped will make it so I can wear it more like a helmet, rather than a mask. I have more parts being molded in latex for this at the moment. I even bought colored lenses to put in the eyes.

View attachment 213054
Wow, that is amazing. Your skills never cease to amaze me my dear!

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
awesome grinder I have one similar somewhere still in storage, nothing like grinding the beans that way. Now, go get yourself a small roaster and roast the beans yourself. OMG that is heaven. You do need to let the fresh roasted beans "rest" for a day or so. easy enough to get the info online. But you will never want it any other way after that :)
Ive thought about doing that...but I'm in a 565sf apt. in a 55+ building.

I can't disable the ceiling detector, plus doubt doing it would pass the building's hardwired fire alarm either...THAT goes off...sheeitttt....Automatic FD response...

Three even worse words: ceiling sprinkler system.

This is basically an Institutional type apartment building....

Tornadoalleydeb

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Ive thought about doing that...but I'm in a 565sf apt. in a 55+ building.

I can't disable the ceiling detector, plus doubt doing it would pass the building's hardwired fire alarm either...THAT goes off...sheeitttt....Automatic FD response...

Three even worse words: ceiling sprinkler system.

This is basically an Institutional type apartment building....
Oh yes, I didn't think about that. I roasted outdoors on the patio and if weather did not permit. it was in the laundry room with the door closed and fan on. I love the smell but not everyone would appreciate it. You never know though, there could be a place local that does roast their own, you could buy it fresh. There was a store when we lived in Montana that did. He would also sell me his un-roasted beans for next to nothing. That place always smelled so good. They didn't over roast like some (looking at you Starbucks) Gawd that's nasty stuff. I know there are those that love SB though. I simply could never drink it.

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Oh yes, I didn't think about that. I roasted outdoors on the patio and if weather did not permit. it was in the laundry room with the door closed and fan on. I love the smell but not everyone would appreciate it. You never know though, there could be a place local that does roast their own, you could buy it fresh. There was a store when we lived in Montana that did. He would also sell me his un-roasted beans for next to nothing. That place always smelled so good. They didn't over roast like some (looking at you Starbucks) Gawd that's nasty stuff. I know there are those that love SB though. I simply could never drink it.
Oh, trust me...I'm in the PNW. You can get an on-site brewed Growler and a freshly roasted cuppa on the same block all over here. ;)

Like these guys: https://relevantcoffee.com/

That big round thing in their main pics is a Probat roaster...a large one.
Roasting%2B-%2Bmain%2Bwebsite.jpg

Starbucks has actually closed several of their stores around here...hahaha...no loss whatsoever.

Last edited:

Tornadoalleydeb

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Oh, trust me...I'm in the PNW. You can get an on-site brewed Growler and a freshly roasted cuppa on the same block all over here. ;)

Like these guys: https://relevantcoffee.com/

That big round thing in their main pics is a Probat roaster...a large one.
Roasting%2B-%2Bmain%2Bwebsite.jpg

Starbucks has actually closed several of their stores around here...hahaha...no loss whatsoever.
Outstanding

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning!

This weather is nuts! We had snow 2 days ago and today is going up to 75*? Tomorrow is supposed to be 80*? I just try to stay home as much as I can. Not today though, have a few errands that I can't put off any longer. I hope you all are staying warm and cozy.

Jessie is doing well. If it feels warm enough this afternoon, I'll get her out on the deck for a good brushing. She loves it, and the pile of hair that I end up with! For a short hair cat she really produces. Such a sweetie.

Stay warm, safe and healthy :hug: :inlove::stars2:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning!

This weather is nuts! We had snow 2 days ago and today is going up to 75*? Tomorrow is supposed to be 80*? I just try to stay home as much as I can. Not today though, have a few errands that I can't put off any longer. I hope you all are staying warm and cozy.

Jessie is doing well. If it feels warm enough this afternoon, I'll get her out on the deck for a good brushing. She loves it, and the pile of hair that I end up with! For a short hair cat she really produces. Such a sweetie.

Stay warm, safe and healthy :hug: :inlove::stars2:
It's a tad chilly here, rainy as usual. We're good....

Got tired of my errant hair....I own a Norelco trimmer...hehe...

20240301_202858~2.jpg

Milly's in her 'butt groove' she's made on the back of the couch..and ignoring me..lol...

Be Well! :D

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good news is I am nowhere near the wildfire that has now burned over a million acres in Texas. That is way north of where I am. I did smell the smoke from it when the cold front came through with high winds, and there was some light ash that made it this far. Surprising, considering that the curvature of the earth is enough that I could not even see any glow, or smoke in the daytime.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good news is I am nowhere near the wildfire that has now burned over a million acres in Texas. That is way north of where I am. I did smell the smoke from it when the cold front came through with high winds, and there was some light ash that made it this far. Surprising, considering that the curvature of the earth is enough that I could not even see any glow, or smoke in the daytime.

Pretty scary down there...I know regionally we're sending a LOT of firefighters and resources that way. :(

Screenshot from 2024-03-02 09-39-53.png

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
That's so sad
Pretty scary down there...I know regionally we're sending a LOT of firefighters and resources that way. :(

View attachment 213356
That's so sad. I spent the better part of last spring in Amarillo and the panhandle for work. Last year they had to worry about flooding.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yup, a bit windy there...the high cameras on top of the stands are unmanned today...and this...
But, the cars are still going up to 180mph all next to each other anyways...aerodynamics ftw.

Screenshot from 2024-03-02 14-24-19.png

This post brought to ya by Coors Banquet...the OG. :cheers:
(Also by homemade Angus cheeseburger Sliders)
coors.jpeg

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Despite the wind, it's a good race....

Screenshot from 2024-03-02 15-26-39.png

I'm sipping ice-cold Coors infused with stoopid-spicy DIY 'red beer' V8 debauchery, munching on Habanero-Mango Beef Jerky, Milly is full of meat and sleeping.

And, armed with a few choice vapes...

20240302_153410~2.jpg

I'm Goood. :cool:

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
LeBron will probably break 40,000 career points tonight.🤯

Lakers game is on OTA ABC TV later at 5:30pm PST. 😄

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
He did it. A first.

20240302_181027_HDR.jpg

Watched it virtually with my sis texting on our phones....lol....

Sláinte Mhath!!!

20240302_180201~2.jpg

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

View attachment 213356
We are among those under the red flag warnings. Collections are being done in my area for hay and feed for the livestock affected. They ain't worrying any about the people. I guess folks in other areas are being bothered for collecting resources for humans.

Remember. Texas is the second largest state. Alaska is the largest. Resources are being pooled from all over to help those affected, both human, and animal. Resources for humans are easier to pool from more heavily populated areas such as Dallas and Forth Worth where they think meat just comes from factories.

On a slightly positive note, it might put a dent in the wild boar population.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good afternoon! :coffee2:

Ground some nice beans and made French Press coffee.

IMG_1294.jpg

Not much going on...a chilly and windy day here. A bit of rain/sleet...no biggie.

Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 13-27-21.png

Walked over to the P.O. to send off paperwork and get a M.O. for rent...brrr. But, I got good winter gear. ;)

Should get in an AMZ order today for Milly supplies, a quart of VG, and misc. things I needed.
Watching MLB Spring Training...not much else going on. :)

Last edited:

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hubby decided to buy a 3D printer. I have a lot of experience in CAD software, so he thought I could design stuff, print it up, and he could make extra money. Microshaft has blocked our computers from using the .dll files that would allow us to use any software that uses .gcode The .obj and .stl files the printer are supposed to recognize are not recognized because we are not allowed to install the printer firmware, because it is not supported by microshaft.

So, I am mowing the lawn today.

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning!

All is well here, Jessie says hi. Weather is still bouncing around, I'm mostly staying in. I finally bought an air fryer. Now I need to look up how to use it and some recipes, lol. I'm still doing a lot of reading and listening to audiobooks, don't watch much TV at all. Guess I'll go get some chores done and accomplish something.

Stay safe and healthy :hug: :inlove:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning!

All is well here, Jessie says hi. Weather is still bouncing around, I'm mostly staying in. I finally bought an air fryer. Now I need to look up how to use it and some recipes, lol. I'm still doing a lot of reading and listening to audiobooks, don't watch much TV at all. Guess I'll go get some chores done and accomplish something.

Hi Jessie

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning!

I hope you all had a good Easter weekend. It was warm here, I enjoyed having the doors open for fresh air. Spent some time on the deck brushing Jessie's thick winter coat. And the fur flew! She loves being brushed.
I can't run errands today, we have a high wind warning. I'll get it done tomorrow and be lazy today. I do need to mix a few things.

Stay safe and healthy :inlove: :hug:

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
Morning!

I hope you all had a good Easter weekend. It was warm here, I enjoyed having the doors open for fresh air. Spent some time on the deck brushing Jessie's thick winter coat. And the fur flew! She loves being brushed.
I can't run errands today, we have a high wind warning. I'll get it done tomorrow and be lazy today. I do need to mix a few things.

Stay safe and healthy :inlove: :hug:
easter done for another year yeah thats a good reason to have a coffee!

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That 3D printer that came with no software whatsoever got returned to Amazon, and we got one that actually came with it. We have successfully printed up several things that are useful in the house, and for our pickup trucks. Of course, he is looking to print up stuff for profit. A couple of them are things I personally designed in CAD.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Both the pecan and mesquite trees are putting out leaves. The winter weather is officially over. It's getting hot.

Before it gets too hot, I had to start with a few minor repairs. One was rebuilding the wheelbarrow. This thing is old enough that the handles were made of red oak, and had severe dry rot. At one time, the wheel was replaced with one that had a solid foam tire. Well, the foam had been breaking down as of last year.

I replaced the handles, bolts, and the wheel, and gave it a paint job for preservation.1000002337.jpg

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning!

I hope you are all doing well and happy. Not much happening here lately, went to the chiropractor yesterday. Little sore today but I feel much better. Today is lunch with a good friend! I don't get to see her very often so I really look forward to when I do. Shrimp in on the menu!

The weather is still jumping around. Variety, right?

Tornadoalleydeb

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Evening all. Glad to hear everyone is well. I went MIA again for a bit. We had a death in the family. Not someone I really knew well but I do know his Mom who is my cousin. It took her time to talk about it. Her son took his own life. So sad as she said there were no indications at all. She is not too far from me and actually is starting to build a house here on the property. I told her as soon as you get his house sold and things in order you can come stay out here with me until your home is done (if she wants) She is having trouble with other family members not leaving her be and she does not want to deal with them. I get it. She's in Dallas so only about 3 hours away. Heck she can come for just a week if she wants. Whatever will help her heal, I'm here.

The dragon looks amazing, what a fantastic job you have done @Lady Sarah and @CaFF great new hairstyle :) (hugs to Milly) @misswish our weather has been nuts here too. high 70's one day and then back down in the 40/50 range. Wind here is crazy, even with my being all surrounded by tall trees. Had this little raccoon guy show up again the other night with his mate. They sure are ballsy. Plus I saw what I'm pretty sure was a cougar slinking along the side of the house. I can deal with the raccoons but I don't want that Cougar around. I may have to call someone to relocate him. I have all sorts of fun critters now hanging out. Armadillos, raccoons, foxes, Great horned owls, turkeys, A lot of vultures (which I don't care for) The farmers in the area are really having issues with them going after newborn livestock in the fields. We have wild board too but I have not actually seen one around the house. My closest neighbor is about 1/4 mile away and he has seen them so he was telling me to be careful. Hell, I'm worried about the Cougar more than anything. Oh, lots of coyotes too But Elsa keeps them away.
I have lived in the country before but nothing like this. (middle of a forest) I have put bird feeders up all around the house. Watching all the pretty birds relaxes me and I need that calm feeling.

Here is my pretty Elsa too, who just turned 10 months. She's a big girl

I hope everyone has a great rest of the week. I'm off to start a batch of yogurt. I got a instapot a while back and I love that thing!
Waves to @walton I don't believe I have seen you before. I'm Deb, it's nice to meet you!

Attachments

• PXL_20240401_035518653.jpg
    PXL_20240401_035518653.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20240316_235612279.jpg
    PXL_20240316_235612279.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
Evening all. Glad to hear everyone is well. I went MIA again for a bit. We had a death in the family. Not someone I really knew well but I do know his Mom who is My cousin. It took her time to talk about it. Her son took his own life. So sad as she said there were no indications at all. She is not too far from me and actually is starting to build a house here on the property. I told her as soon as you get his house sold and things in order you come stay out here with me until her home is done (if she wants) She is having trouble with other family members not leaving her be and she does not want to deal with them. I get it. She's in Dallas so only about 3 hours away. Heck she can come for just a week if she wants. Whatever will help her heal, I'm here.

The dragon looks amazing, what a fantastic job you have done @Lady Sarah and @CaFF great new hairstyle :) (hugs to Milly) @misswish our weather has been nuts here too. high 70's one day and then back down in the 40/50 range. Wind here is crazy, even with my being all surrounded by tall trees. Had this guy show up again the other night with his mate. They sure are ballsy. Plus I saw what I'm pretty sure was a cougar slinking along the side of the house. I can deal with the raccoons but I don't want that Cougar around. I may have to call someone to relocate him. I have all sorts of fun critters now hanging out. Armadillos, raccoons, foxes, Great horned owls, turkeys, A lot of vultures (which I don't care for) The farmers in the area are really having issues with them going after newborn livestock in the fields. We have wild board too but I have not actually seen one around the house. My closest neighbor is about 1/4 mile away and he has seen them so he was telling me to be careful. Hell, I'm worried about the Cougar more than anything. Oh, lots of coyotes too But Elsa keeps them away.
I have lived in the country before but nothing like this. (middle of a forest) I have put bird feeders up all around the house. Watching all the pretty birds relaxes me and I need that calm serenity.

Here is my pretty Elsa too, who just turned 10 months. She's a big girl

I hope everyone has a great rest of the week. I'm off to start a batch of yogurt. I got a instapot a while back and I love that thing!
Waves to @walton I don't believe I have seen you before. I'm Deb, it's nice to meet you!
waves back i speak to someome from tornado valley a lot. sorry to hear of the death.

Tornadoalleydeb

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
waves back i speak to someome from tornado valley a lot. sorry to hear of the death.
Thanks, I appreciate that. I really did not know him, but my heart does break for her. That pain is the the worst a parent has to live with. What didn't I do? What could I have done better? How did I not see this coming?

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
Thanks, I appreciate that. I really did not know him, but my heart does break for her. That pain is the the worst a parent has to live with. What didn't I do? What could I have done better? How did I not see this coming?
i lost my mother father brother and sister when i was 7. you cant tell anyone how to get over it as all are different

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
nothing anyone could do. there is no use thinking ou or anyone else could have stopped it. nobody else can change the feelings in your head,

Tornadoalleydeb

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
nothing anyone could do. there is no use thinking ou or anyone else could have stopped it. nobody else can change the feelings in your head,
Thank you Walton, I realize that. I was referring to what is going through her head right now. Just as it would any parent

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
Thank you Walton, I realize that. I was referring to what is going through her head right now. Just as it would any parent
all what will be going through her head will be blame and confusion, for a parent to have to bury their child is horendous there cannot be a worse feeling. normal yes, sad certainly negativity cant help they can only let time do that and no matter what anyone says it is a long long lonely journey that they must can only do themselves. give her my thoughts and best wished.

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Evening all. Glad to hear everyone is well. I went MIA again for a bit. We had a death in the family. Not someone I really knew well but I do know his Mom who is my cousin. It took her time to talk about it. Her son took his own life. So sad as she said there were no indications at all. She is not too far from me and actually is starting to build a house here on the property. I told her as soon as you get his house sold and things in order you can come stay out here with me until your home is done (if she wants) She is having trouble with other family members not leaving her be and she does not want to deal with them. I get it. She's in Dallas so only about 3 hours away. Heck she can come for just a week if she wants. Whatever will help her heal, I'm here.
Our mom lost her oldest son to suicide, he was only 21 years young. It's hard to talk about, some what shameful, but just so hard tell anyone that's what happened. Mom, my other brother and I blamed ourselves for years on end for brother doing this. It takes a lot of years to be able to move on, her heart will mend, but unfortunately, the heartache and heartbreaking will always be with her. And, Im sorry for saying this, it's good that her family members are not leaving her alone. Our little family (me, my mom, and bro) broke apart cause of this (we are back together now). My dad, not once have we talked about his suicide, but this is a whole other ballgame with him, but still, no comforting from him (i know he was hurting). And, the rest of family, the aunts and uncles, didn't care either. So, I'm hoping she will coop with family not leaving her alone, at least, they are showing their love, I think anyway, that's what they are doing.
May time heal her heart, though, it will be rough for quite some time. My thoughts and my love to her, her family and you Ms Deb :hug:

Last edited:

Tornadoalleydeb

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Our mom lost her oldest son to suicide, he was only 21 years young. It's hard to talk about, some what shameful, but just so hard tell anyone that's what happened. Mom, my other brother and I blamed ourselves for years on end for brother doing this. It takes a lot of years to be able to move on, her heart will mend, but unfortunately, the heartache and heartbreaking will always be with her. And, Im sorry for saying this, it's good that her family members are not leaving her alone. Our little family (me, my mom, and bro) broke apart cause of this (we are back together now). My dad, not once have we talked about his suicide, but this is a whole other ballgame with him, but still, no comforting from him (i know he was hurting). And, the rest of family, the aunts and uncles, didn't care either. So, I'm hoping she will coop with family not leaving her alone, at least, they are showing their love, I think anyway, that's what they are doing.
May time heal her heart, though, it will be rough for quite some time. My thoughts and my love to her, her family and you Ms Deb :hug:
I am sorry for your family's loss @2WhiteWolves. Unfortunately with my Cousin, the things they are pestering her about is who gets what. People can be such vultures. I wish I had some magic words for her. Sometimes it is better to just sit with them, hold them and let them cry. No words need to be exchanged.
Anyway, I didn't mean to start such a heartbreaking topic.

Today we have beautiful weather here. Quite breezy though, a couple of my bird feeders tipped over. Two of mine stand in the ground. We have a lot of rocks and clay here. I may have to be happy with the ones that hang in the tree :) That or pour a bit of concrete in the hole around the poles.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Today we have beautiful weather here. Quite breezy though, a couple of my bird feeders tipped over. Two of mine stand in the ground. We have a lot of rocks and clay here. I may have to be happy with the ones that hang in the tree :) That or pour a bit of concrete in the hole around the polpoles
I came up with a solution for my big bird feeder. I welded a pipe to a car rim, and buried the rim into the ground. Welded a steel plate to the top of the pipe, and mounted the feeder to that. Since the feeder is metal, it was worth the extra work, since it's going to last. So far, it's been up for 4 years.

Tornadoalleydeb

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I came up with a solution for my big bird feeder. I welded a pipe to a car rim, and buried the rim into the ground. Welded a steel plate to the top of the pipe, and mounted the feeder to that. Since the feeder is metal, it was worth the extra work, since it's going to last. So far, it's been up for 4 years.
If you could get me a picture that would be wonderful. You are one of those folks that can solve darn near everything.
We had a blasted Copperhead on the patio last night. Fortunately I was able to pull Elsa away before she got bit. Killed it with a shovel. I can deal with a lot of wildlife but venomous snakes are not one of them. I will have to pay more attention now. Dammit.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Today, I had an appointment with my neurosurgeon. I will end up getting a bit of spinal fusion. First, I have to jump through some hoops for insurance sake. That means I have to get physical therapy that will not have any benefit whatsoever, and may do more harm than good. Plus, more xrays after providing the disc with the mris I just had done. So, another 6 weeks til I see her again, and get that spinal fusion scheduled.

This is the same surgeon that did the laminectomy 7 years ago, and she does good work.

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
Today, I had an appointment with my neurosurgeon. I will end up getting a bit of spinal fusion. First, I have to jump through some hoops for insurance sake. That means I have to get physical therapy that will not have any benefit whatsoever, and may do more harm than good. Plus, more xrays after providing the disc with the mris I just had done. So, another 6 weeks til I see her again, and get that spinal fusion scheduled.

This is the same surgeon that did the laminectomy 7 years ago, and she does good work.
stick with it and get better

VU Sponsors