Become a Patron!

Daily Check-In Thread

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
So we just came back from doing some essential pickups. Medicine for my wife who can only get enough for 2 weeks at a time. We saw only 1 person wear a mask, we both were. My wife when putting disinfectant on the things got had one guy swear at her saying "you have to be ****** ******* joking" and laughed at her and a lady came up to her saying "your an idiot and wasting your time, masks dont work". I wish I'd been with her at the time instead of waiting in the car. Not hit the guy, but I bet because he probably would be too chicken to have said it to a fit grown man. It was like nobody was caring about it. I think our low numbers, especially deaths though each one is a tragedy, has everyone becoming complacent over it. Nobody was taking any precautions at all.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So we just came back from doing some essential pickups. Medicine for my wife who can only get enough for 2 weeks at a time. We saw only 1 person wear a mask, we both were. My wife when putting disinfectant on the things got had one guy swear at her saying "you have to be ****** ******* joking" and laughed at her and a lady came up to her saying "your an idiot and wasting your time, masks dont work". I wish I'd been with her at the time instead of waiting in the car. Not hit the guy, but I bet because he probably would be too chicken to have said it to a fit grown man. It was like nobody was caring about it. I think our low numbers, especially deaths though each one is a tragedy, has everyone becoming complacent over it. Nobody was taking any precautions at all.
Just do what you can to protect your family. Maybe the herd of idiots will self thin out a bit.

I have to go out tomorrow mostly for wifes prescriptions. I will be gloved and masked.
My procedure. Take cart to vehicle. pull out hand sanitizer and wash gloved hands and while wet get out keys and open vehicle.
Load groceries. put cart in corral, remove cloves and toss in corral trash bin.
hand sanitize again and remove mask and toss in bin.

Drive home, unload and put all non perishables in basement for a few days. wipe down all the other stuff. then take a lysol wipe and back track cleaning all doorknobs and such I had touched. then a final hand washing and face washing in case I had touched my face.
Gotta keep the wife safe. She is elderly and has risk factors.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Just do what you can to protect your family. Maybe the herd of idiots will self thin out a bit.

I have to go out tomorrow mostly for wifes prescriptions. I will be gloved and masked.
My procedure. Take cart to vehicle. pull out hand sanitizer and wash gloved hands and while wet get out keys and open vehicle.
Load groceries. put cart in corral, remove cloves and toss in corral trash bin.
hand sanitize again and remove mask and toss in bin.

Drive home, unload and put all non perishables in basement for a few days. wipe down all the other stuff. then take a lysol wipe and back track cleaning all doorknobs and such I had touched. then a final hand washing and face washing in case I had touched my face.
Gotta keep the wife safe. She is elderly and has risk factors.
We do similar and sanitise everything before using, like handles, the things we buy, ourselves. Get some strange looks doing it but I dont care. I sometimes think the rude ones are exhibiting a classic fear response. Find themselves out of their depth, in fear and so like an animal trying to regain control act with the only thing they feel gives it back to them, agression. They appear all tough but I believe they are deep down petrified.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
We do similar and sanitise everything before using, like handles, the things we buy, ourselves. Get some strange looks doing it but I dont care. I sometimes think the rude ones are exhibiting a classic fear response. Find themselves out of their depth, in fear and so like an animal trying to regain control act with the only thing they feel gives it back to them, agression. They appear all tough but I believe they are deep down petrified.

Even before I started wearing gloves I would go in grab a cart wheel over to the hand sanitizer station and sanitize hands and grab the cart bar and wipe it down with my wet hands.
And use a pen of mine to push buttons on the card payment thing.

good idea in flu season anyway.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Even before I started wearing gloves I would go in grab a cart wheel over to the hand sanitizer station and sanitize hands and grab the cart bar and wipe it down with my wet hands.
And use a pen of mine to push buttons on the card payment thing.

good idea in flu season anyway.
Yeah. Before covid our Coles had wipes for the trolley,s. We always used either theirs or our own which my misses has kept in her bag for ages. I think regardless, better safe than sorry. Nobody gets harmed if we are wrong in doing so. But the other side of the coin, if they are wrong many will regret it. We wont.
Stay safe mate.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Check In

Fucking snow!! I hate fucking snow!!
It was a wonderful 70 degrees just a few days ago and now....SNOW!

like the good New Orleans boy I am, I woke up and prepped for dinner tonight.
Pan seared thighs in a white wine reduction onion/caper sauce with a side of fresh summer vegetables - to middle finger at the SNOW!

Last edited:

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Check In

Fucking snow!! I hate fucking snow!!
It was a wonderful 70 degrees just a few days ago and now....SNOW!

like the good New Orleans boy I am, I woke up and prepped for dinner tonight.
Thighs in a white wine reduction onion/caper sauce with a side of fresh summer vegetables - to muddle finger at the SNOW!
pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee may i have the recipe for this.....

white wine reduction onion/caper sauce <---- makes me wanna drool

EDIT:
chicken an cappers.jpg

OK READY!

Last edited:

ChainVapeS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I called the unemployment office over 300 times yesterday and could not get thru.
Called this morning and I have gotten thru. Now I'm on hold until an agent is available. System says I could be on hold for 2 hours or more.
So here I sit, on hold, waiting to talk to someone to hopefully get this unemployment sorted out. I filed online and was denied. I then opened an online chat with an agent who told me there are no benefits for self employed people and then she disconnected me.
I know there are benefits in place, people around me are getting them and they are self employed.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee may i have the recipe for this.....

white wine reduction onion/caper sauce <---- makes me wanna drool
I use bone in/skin on thighs to get crispy skin and rendered chicken fat

1 shallot (or half a yellow onion) finely diced
1/2 stuck butter
4 garlic toes minced or cut into paste
2 tablespoons capers rinsed and drained
1/2 cup white wine
Juice of one lemon
Fresh basil chiffonade
2 green onions cut for garnish

In a good cast iron skillet sear thighs skin side down first until skin is crisp, usually take 7 minutes-8 minutes a side

Then put in 350⁰ oven for about 10 minutes

When the thighs come out remove them from pan and add in 1/2 stick butter and shallot... be sure to get up all the yummy brown bits from the pan here. Once the brown bits are pulled up throw in the wine and lemon and kick up the heat. Let it boil and reduce down a bit then add the capers and the chicken back. Baste the thighs in the sauce and let it simmer for a few minutes before serving.
Great on top of jasmine rice, gnocchi or polenta also

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I called the unemployment office over 300 times yesterday and could not get thru.
Called this morning and I have gotten thru. Now I'm on hold until an agent is available. System says I could be on hold for 2 hours or more.
So here I sit, on hold, waiting to talk to someone to hopefully get this unemployment sorted out. I filed online and was denied. I then opened an online chat with an agent who told me there are no benefits for self employed people and then she disconnected me.
I know there are benefits in place, people around me are getting them and they are self employed.

Sorry to see you're having to deal with that horseshit.

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I use bone in/skin on thighs to get crispy skin and rendered chicken fat

1 shallot (or half a yellow onion) finely diced
1/2 stuck butter
4 garlic toes minced or cut into paste
2 tablespoons capers rinsed and drained
1/2 cup white wine
Juice of one lemon
Fresh basil chiffonade
2 green onions cut for garnish

In a good cast iron skillet sear thighs skin side down first until skin is crisp, usually take 7 minutes-8 minutes a side

Then put in 350⁰ oven for about 10 minutes

When the thighs come out remove them from pan and add in 1/2 stick butter and shallot... be sure to get up all the yummy brown bits from the pan here. Once the brown bits are pulled up throw in the wine and lemon and kick up the heat. Let it boil and reduce down a bit then add the capers and the chicken back. Baste the thighs in the sauce and let it simmer for a few minutes before serving.
Great on top of jasmine rice, gnocchi or polenta also
making my mouth even wanna water more...
basil.jpg
any special basil you prefer to have me...

Chiffonade

Chiffonade' is a slicing technique in which leafy green vegetables such as spinach, sorrel, or Swiss chard, or a flat-leaved herb like basil, are cut into long, thin strips. This is accomplished by stacking leaves, rolling them tightly, then slicing the leaves perpendicular to the roll..

love having fresh herbs for flavor.
{{ made Black bean soup da other night with my own fresh cilantro O MY that was good.}}

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
making my mouth even wanna water more...
View attachment 158863
any special basil you prefer to have me...

Chiffonade

Chiffonade' is a slicing technique in which leafy green vegetables such as spinach, sorrel, or Swiss chard, or a flat-leaved herb like basil, are cut into long, thin strips. This is accomplished by stacking leaves, rolling them tightly, then slicing the leaves perpendicular to the roll..

love having fresh herbs for flavor.
{{ made Black bean soup da other night with my own fresh cilantro O MY that was good.}}
I use sweet basil and cut it chiffonade.
You don't have to I just find that it looks pretty and it helps it to release more pils and flavors.

I also toast my spices before cooking.
Take whatever seasoning you want to use and grind them in a mortar and pestle then toast them lightly and set them aside. It releases the oils from the spices and adds another layer of flavor

ChainVapeS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sorry to see you're having to deal with that horseshit.
Yep, and after 2 hours on hold, I got a very rude woman. Any time I tried to speak to ask questions, she cut me off and talked over me. She then told me to "shut the fuck up" and hung up on me.

Where is the help that's supposed to be there?!
Wtf
I feel broken, defeated, useless and fucked.
It's getting to the point where I won't be able to afford basic necessities soon, and there is no help in sight from these federal or state assistance programs.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Yep, and after 2 hours on hold, I got a very rude woman. Any time I tried to speak to ask questions, she cut me off and talked over me. She then told me to "shut the fuck up" and hung up on me.

Wtf
It's getting to the point where I won't be able to afford basic necessities soon, and there is no help in sight from these federal or state assistance programs.

Is that a state or federal office?

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee

Wtf

Maybe you can at least find a food bank or something, so you’d have food. It’s so crazy that the gov’t is letting people go down in flames like this.

Hang in there! Love and hugs your way!

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
State unemployment office.

Thats actually good...
Contact your direct representative office. You wont get him or her on the line right away. Look them up in the google machine they'll have one or two offices in the state. If you look hard enough you'll find their home address and possible number also.
I had an issue about 10 years ago getting something approved. After about 2 or 3 days of emailing and calling every contact I could find to reach them, I got a call back. That day I was magically approved.
That representative wants every vote he or she can get. Be the thorn in that person's side.

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good morning! All is still well here. Hubby is napping ( cat got him up early ), and I'm on my 2nd cup of coffee. The sun is bright, supposed to get 82*. On today's lunch menu is a big crispy salad with lots of veges, and chicken strips.
Stay safe and healthy :hug:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just got back from Krogers and Wally world. prescriptions were the main cause of trip. Got some Charmin Ultra Soft and some Knorr noodle things. Plus enough stuff to last at least 3 weeks without dipping into reserve.
Was not crowded and very few had on either gloves or masks. :crazy:

got about 20 more pounds of meat. Combined with what is in freezer we are good for months now on meat, we do not eat a lot of meat.
And of course got more cat fud. Good on that a while too around 75 pounds. Can't have hungry kittys.
Neither Krogers nor Wally World had Tostitos ultra thin taco chips. hard times had to get other taco chips :rolleyes:

Last edited:

ChainVapeS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Applied for food stamps.... yeah that's right. Im not too proud to ask for help when I need it.

Also got in touch with a local food bank. Headed there shortly to pick up a box of food.

I then called 211, got in touch with someone who is going to put me in contact with the United Way, they have programs in place to help people effected by this pandemic to pay they rent, mortgage and utilities. They should be calling me back in 2 to 5 days.

So here it is people,

Put your pride aside. Put your political differences aside. If you need help, reach out and ask wherever you can. If you're in a position to help others that need it, then please help. If you can't, then at least be positive.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
SSDD

We did help a local Mexican restaurant last night by ordering and picking up. I was able to get margaritas to go as well. Food was good and have leftovers for lunch today.

Lenovo is sending a box with shipping label, so that's taken care of. When they receive it, it will be put in quarantine for 3 days before the tech touches it. Then up to 9 business days for them to fix and send back. That will put it back to me when I was figuring I would have gotten it originally with the crud stuff happening.

78 cases and still just 3 deaths in my county. My wife and I are fine.

Carry on VU! Stay safe out there.

SpectoVia

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU SWAT
C9909130-3DF5-494A-916F-CA16BDF44158.jpeg

Great thread.....
Left Brain and I are both busy with work and enjoying good health. Our consulting business has had to kick it into another gear with our clients (mostly very scared non-profits and a couple of real estate firms) that are scrambling on crisis management and messaging among other pressing issues. She and I both work from home, so we were already unknowingly prepared for any "cabin fever" issues. I'm so blessed that my best friend is my wife. We already used Kroger Clicklist and transitioned right into Instacart. We were already praying at the altar of "Amazon Prime is the future!"(derp) We're already on a first name basis with a couple of DoorDash and Uber Eats drivers. We love being at home with our doggos. So, our introverted lifestyle has, in a way, lessened any impact of any stay at home orders. Our worry is for our aged parents, of course; 86,81, and 73. We're about 25 miles from Nashville and while our county has had 6 deaths, there are only 271 cases with over 2100 negative tests in a county of over 300,000 people. Drive in testing starts here on the 18th.
(for my Tennessee homies - https://www.tn.gov/health/cedep/ncov.html)

Going through the thread, I was reminded of the sad passing of Hank Spankman around the time that I joined VU and the true concern and friendship that people exhibited in their remembrances of him. That same concern, caring, and friendship is all over this thread too. It was glaringly apparent then, and now, that this place is more than a website. It is truly a community.

bless you all and stay safe

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Interesting note. Well to me anyway.
Was reviewing expenditures for the past couple of months..
Seems like I am spending about the same on food and such as before the shutdown while building up a big emergency reserve of food.
the difference is wife is grounded for the virus and no eating out rule when I take the SIL for her shopping. I do not even trust drive thru since the youngsters working there armpit to armpit would be less likely than older ones to observe proper social distancing. And the virus can live on bags and boxes let alone the food...
also the young seem to be much more likely to be asymptomatic with the virus.

My main function right now is to ensure that the wife does not catch the virus.
And of course keep her fed and provided with medications.
and since I am the only one to haul the SIL around I have to be sure that she does not carry it in to the wife. SIL lives next door but it is kind of a two house household in many ways. especially considering social distancing and the virus, etc.

Personally I wish the SIL lived:rolleyes: 1,000 miles away

Last edited:

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Ack! I forget to check in for a day and s*** hits the fan!

@Amber Petti Im thinking about you and your family. I truly hope things go alright for y’all.

@ChainVapeS that is a whole load of horse s***. There are provisions in that bill that specifically deal with self employed/ contract/gig workers, etc....appeal that decision!!! If you need anything, please let me know!

To everyone else.....I’m really happy y’all seem to be ok, more or less. I am a worrier so I’m worried about all of you. I know it’s irrational, but it’s who I am.

As for me, had a nice day with my daughter, cleaning the restaurant. We got to spend a couple of hours together, masked up and staying apart. Also got to chat with my son tonight, which soothes me. I worry about him being in CA, so far from home. But he seems ok, so that’s good. I’m fine, Mr. Gypsy is fine. The extra unemployment finally dropped today, so I can breathe easier. Tomorrow is a quick Whole Foods trip and the P.O. Then.....mixing! Woo hoo!

:blowkiss::hug:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thursday check in. All the same here and under these circumstances that's a good thing. Just did home repairs and little projects around the house but it kept me busy all day;). Glad to see everyone are well and stayin safe. Supposed to get the heaviest snow of the year tonight.:eek: I'm ready for warm weather and days in the garden.

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Hi ya! I did something today that I haven't done in a while. (I did not read up on more bad news today.)

I wore a mask and gloves when I had my final Bilateral Lumber Injection today. No sedation, I buck it up. Usually I'm up and around and at the PC for hours afterward.

Today I elected to take it easy and go horizontal for a while. This was at 3:30pm. I put my ear plugs in since the window was open, turned my head and BOOM!...I was out - for 3 hrs. I haven't done that in months! I'm staying out of the vape vendors tonight. Shopping ramps me up too much.

So, I'm here with a cold one, freshly made chunky salsa by the spoonful (watching carbs), my new found music station Spotify and 70's melodies and pretzel sticks staring me in the face. Hmmm....hands are weighing their options - up, down, up down.

I'm so happy to see all of you doing well and quite sad to hear that family have been affected. God Bless you all and your families. :hug:

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Applied for food stamps.... yeah that's right. Im not too proud to ask for help when I need it.

Also got in touch with a local food bank. Headed there shortly to pick up a box of food.

I then called 211, got in touch with someone who is going to put me in contact with the United Way, they have programs in place to help people effected by this pandemic to pay they rent, mortgage and utilities. They should be calling me back in 2 to 5 days.

So here it is people,

Put your pride aside. Put your political differences aside. If you need help, reach out and ask wherever you can. If you're in a position to help others that need it, then please help. If you can't, then at least be positive.

At least you’ll be getting food and some help. I know it hurts, but I’d rather see you eating and getting help, than starving without help!! I hope the food bank food was okay. But it’s something.

I know it feels crappy, but I love you, bro. And I don’t want to see you starving or getting sick. :hug::hug:

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon

So here it is people,

You're doing all of the right things and it's nothing to be ashamed of. Been there, done that my friend.

Also, check with Senior Centers in your area. Our city gives out 2 grocery bags of food a week.

@gopher_byrd You are smart to quarantine your merchandise/inventory before exposing it. I really should do a 48 hour quarantine on the vape gear I will be getting. As excited as I am, it will have to wait 2 days in a box outside in the sun.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
You're doing all of the right things and it's nothing to be ashamed of. Been there, done that my friend.

Also, check with Senior Centers in your area. Our city gives out 2 grocery bags of food a week.

@gopher_byrd You are smart to quarantine your merchandise/inventory before exposing it. I really should do a 48 hour quarantine on the vape gear I will be getting. As excited as I am, it will have to wait 2 days in a box outside in the sun.
I drown all my stuff in undiluted Iso and leave it for a few hours. But Id never tell others to not follow their own regime that makes them feel safe about it all. As long as we treat it as contaminated and do what we can to decomtaminate using what we know kills it in it's tracks. We should not, and I know nobody here as far as I know does, get complacent.
Stay safe all and everyone here. :)
And Im so, so sorry to keep hearing of the numbers with it and dying where all of you are in the US.
When I see the news each day it leaves me numb and takes me several hours to even process it, even then it doesn't feel real, but it is. :(

Amber Petti

Platinum Contributor
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Ack! I forget to check in for a day and s*** hits the fan!

@Amber Petti Im thinking about you and your family. I truly hope things go alright for y’all.

@ChainVapeS that is a whole load of horse s***. There are provisions in that bill that specifically deal with self employed/ contract/gig workers, etc....appeal that decision!!! If you need anything, please let me know!

To everyone else.....I’m really happy y’all seem to be ok, more or less. I am a worrier so I’m worried about all of you. I know it’s irrational, but it’s who I am.

As for me, had a nice day with my daughter, cleaning the restaurant. We got to spend a couple of hours together, masked up and staying apart. Also got to chat with my son tonight, which soothes me. I worry about him being in CA, so far from home. But he seems ok, so that’s good. I’m fine, Mr. Gypsy is fine. The extra unemployment finally dropped today, so I can breathe easier. Tomorrow is a quick Whole Foods trip and the P.O. Then.....mixing! Woo hoo!

:blowkiss::hug:
Thank you love. My uncle is doing ok but my aunt had to get a bigger tube put in. Because the other one they started with wasn’t working (I guess the first one was too small so they had to put in a larger one? That’s what my aunt told me is going on and idk anything about the icu and tubes, this was from my healthy aunt too lol)

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I was looking for a good video to technically explain and put it forward what this virus really can do. Whoa. I found one that blew my mind. I am in lethal danger should I catch it. I wasn't looking for THAT kind of explanation. But to fully understand how you contract it and how it clings to your lungs and kill you was by far the deepest I've looked into it. The video is presented in a Freshman way for all to understand. But his explainations are nothing but. If someone would like to see it, look this up in YT: (I can't put the link in or it will get deleted)

HOW COVID-19 KILLS--I'm a Surgeon--And why We Can't You
And another:
'Vaccines won't work': US virologist breaks down COVID-19, how to curb spread

Last edited:

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
152360.jpg
@Amber Petti <--- I like your new painting

Amber Petti

Platinum Contributor
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
It’s true, though. I’m so glad you joined. And one day I hope I can buy one of your paintings! I love them, and you too. :blowkiss:
I’ll send you a free print of one of you like? I have an extra padded envelope I could use. Just message me which one you’d like. It’ll be an 8x10 though. And I love you too! :hug:

ChainVapeS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Im here. Doing better than yesterday. Got in touch with several state representatives regarding my issues and Mistreatment from the unemployment agency. Several of them are now looking into my case. One is even creating a task force to investigate and correct the abuse and misconduct from the unemployment office agents.

Got a bunch of good food yesterday from the food bank. Lots of positive support from a bunch of awesome members here.

Sometimes, a positive word is worth more than anything else and I thank all of you that shared a positive word or two with me.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors