Become a Patron!

Which do you like better for cloud chasing, series or parallel??

• Series

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Parallel

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

MxDubZx25

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Whats up Fam,

I have a few quick questions regarding the box mod I am about to build.

Here is what I have so far:

• Pre drilled 1590G Hammond Enclosure
  • 3034 MOSFET w/ 15k resistor
  • 5ft 14awg silicon electrical wire
  • 5ft 20awg silicon electrical wire
  • 0.28" voltmeter
  • Dual 18650 Battery Sled
  • 12mm push button
  • Fat Daddy v4 510 Connector
  • Heat shrink tubing
  • 2ft green/blue/black paracord

Now here are my questions:

1. Whether I wire this mod in series or parallel (still haven't decided), while using two VTC 5's, will I still need to incorporate two 15amp fuses between the battery sled and 510 connector or is that just an extra safety precaution? Do fuses matter more depending on a series or parallel build?
  2. While connecting the 14awg wire from the MOSFET to the side of the 510 connector, does it matter where on the 510 it is soldered to or is any place (other than the center pin, of course) okay?
  3. As far as soldering, with not having too much experience, does neatness really matter or is the strength of the connection between the wires and components all that matter? (Keep in mind that all soldered points will be covered with heat shrink, paracord, and/or hot glue to avoid shorting out on the enclosure)

Thank you guys so much for the help and I can't wait to begin this project :) I will post pictures of the completed mod as well as the clouds it chucks as soon as it is finished! If anyone has any other tips they would like to drop it would be greatly appreciated!

I am also making this thread a poll to see which people like better for cloud chasing, series or parallel?

Thanks again and Happy Vaping

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Just a suggestion.
Play around and get some more soldering under your belt, yes neatness can count when it comes to electrical connections. Less is more.
Do not use paracord, spent the little extra if you want covered wires for actual braided sleaving for electronics.

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
The vaping community really needs people that don't know what they are doing building cloud chasing mods

MxDubZx25

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The vaping community really needs people that don't know what they are doing building cloud chasing mods

I don't know what I'm doing? I simply asked a few questions regaurding the building of a box mod which I've never done before. I've been in multiple cloud chasing contests. I know everything about battery safety and ohm laws. What the vaping community doesn't need is assholes like you

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't know what I'm doing? I simply asked a few questions regaurding the building of a box mod which I've never done before. I've been in multiple cloud chasing contests. I know everything about battery safety and ohm laws. What the vaping community doesn't need is assholes like you
Don't listen to him. You did the right thing asking questions. I'm following this thread in hopes of learning to build a mod one day myself. Ask any question to all that will help. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

MxDubZx25

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Don't listen to him. You did the right thing asking questions. I'm following this thread in hopes of learning to build a mod one day myself. Ask any question to all that will help. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Cool cool. I just soldered together the mosfet and battery sled. Just waiting for my enclosure to come in the mail before I do everything else I need to. I'll post pictures of the mosfet and sled when I get home tonight.

Ps. I decided to build in series

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Cool cool. I just soldered together the mosfet and battery sled. Just waiting for my enclosure to come in the mail before I do everything else I need to. I'll post pictures of the mosfet and sled when I get home tonight.

Ps. I decided to build in series
I just got my first series mod, the Noisy Cricket. I have been using it almost exclusively for the past couple of days and am LOVING it. You won't regret that choice. If it turns out well, maybe I'll petition one from you for myself.

MxDubZx25

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just got my first series mod, the Noisy Cricket. I have been using it almost exclusively for the past couple of days and am LOVING it. You won't regret that choice. If it turns out well, maybe I'll petition one from you for myself.

Definitely man! I wanted to get into the business of making custom ones for people so if this one turns out good and works well, I will totally consider it. And of course it will be dirt cheap since I have minimal experience lol

MxDubZx25

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just a suggestion.
Play around and get some more soldering under your belt, yes neatness can count when it comes to electrical connections. Less is more.
Do not use paracord, spent the little extra if you want covered wires for actual braided sleaving for electronics.

correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the contact with the wire to the components all that really matters in the case of a box mod? I know while working on circuit boards it's a lot different though and neatness does in fact matter

Diescum88

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the contact with the wire to the components all that really matters in the case of a box mod? I know while working on circuit boards it's a lot different though and neatness does in fact matter
Making sure the connections on make contact in the specific intentional places. Dont want unintentional grounding on the box

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

MxDubZx25

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Making sure the connections on make contact in the specific intentional places. Dont want unintentional grounding on the box

Alright cool thanks! I have a good feeling this mod is going to turn out great. Just wish the company I ordered my box from would have a faster processing time lol

Diescum88

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Alright cool thanks! I have a good feeling this mod is going to turn out great. Just wish the company I ordered my box from would have a faster processing time lol
Just didn't want to see ya have the wires ground out somewhere on the inside of the box. Can cause shorts or make it auto fire. I had it happen before

MxDubZx25

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just didn't want to see ya have the wires ground out somewhere on the inside of the box. Can cause shorts or make it auto fire. I had it happen before

Thanks for the great tip!! Would you recommend putting hot glue over the solder for extra strength/protection? I'm also heat shrinking every open wire I possibly can to avoid shorts on the enclosure

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Definitely man! I wanted to get into the business of making custom ones for people so if this one turns out good and works well, I will totally consider it. And of course it will be dirt cheap since I have minimal experience lol
Can't wait to see it finished. Learn all you can from these guys. There is alot of good information here. Be safe, but most of all, have fun with it.

MxDubZx25

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey guys just a quick update I got my enclosure today (finally) and I should have this project finished on Monday! Sorry to keep y'all waiting

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Don't glue solder joints. Leave them naked so you can de-solder, re-solder or reflow if needed. And use flux. Keep it simple and clean.

MxDubZx25

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Post progress pics plz :)

Well unfortunately the 12mm switch I had turned out to be 16mm so it didn't fit in the hole for the enclosure. A 12mm is on the way though. Sorry for the wait. Everything else is put together and the enclosure is painted. It will be finished sometime this week

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well unfortunately the 12mm switch I had turned out to be 16mm so it didn't fit in the hole for the enclosure. A 12mm is on the way though. Sorry for the wait. Everything else is put together and the enclosure is painted. It will be finished sometime this week
Looking forward to seeing it and how it vapes!

MxDubZx25

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Looking forward to seeing it and how it vapes!

Ok guys so I'm still waiting for the push button but I'm attaching photos of what I have so far. Basically all I have left to do is wire the 510 to the battery sled and push button then it is all set :) also, everything is going to look a lot more neat once it's epoxied into place

Attachments

• IMG_4769.JPG
    IMG_4769.JPG
    946.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok guys so I'm still waiting for the push button but I'm attaching photos of what I have so far. Basically all I have left to do is wire the 510 to the battery sled and push button then it is all set :) also, everything is going to look a lot more neat once it's epoxied into place
Looks great! Love the fact that you included a power switch too. Extra safety never hurts :)

MxDubZx25

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Looks great! Love the fact that you included a power switch too. Extra safety never hurts :)

Quick question for you, do you think it's better to connect the push button to the 510 or to the positive point of the battery sled? I've seen wiring diagrams of both but I'm not sure which is better

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Quick question for you, do you think it's better to connect the push button to the 510 or to the positive point of the battery sled? I've seen wiring diagrams of both but I'm not sure which is better
I would think to the 510 myself

MxDubZx25

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Finished product :) :) :) it hits harder than any mech I've had so far. Also using the Phenotype L and have a transparent black lid on the way so I can show off the inside. Thank you everyone for the help as I couldn't have done it without you!!

Attachments

• IMG_4783.JPG
    IMG_4783.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4784.JPG
    IMG_4784.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 30

VU Sponsors