Become a Patron!

Dry Tasting DIY Eliquid

imJxmie

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My juice is completely fine, tastes nice. But when I steep it for the recommended time it leaves a dry/sweet taste on the tongue and is unpleasant. and eventually leaves my entire mouth dry for the most part of the day.

cz3iHls.png

Here you can see my mix, The recommended % of Concentrate for mine is 10-15% and i use 10%.
Still cant figure this out, I use high quality VG/PG & VG Nic.

-Thanks, Jamie

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    21.5 KB · Views: 38

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
What flavoring are you using? Some do have a bit of dryness to them. For me, some of the nut flavorings do.

imJxmie

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Aww Thank you. i'm using a Vanilla Custard flavoring.
It's just weird how it's really pleasant freshly made, and after 2-3 day steep time it goes to a dull dry taste of just sweet?

Thanks.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Aww Thank you. i'm using a Vanilla Custard flavoring.
It's just weird how it's really pleasant freshly made, and after 2-3 day steep time it goes to a dull dry taste of just sweet?

Thanks.
Maybe reduce the percentage a little bit? That might really help if after a few days it's too sweet for you, or even adding something not super sweet to the mix, like just a bit of a contrasting flavor. Anything you think might go well with Vanilla Custard a fruit, or like a cookie or graham cracker flavoring. Just shooting ideas out there. Custard isn't one of my things, necessarily, but strawberry custard has many fans.

Even yogurt flavoring popped into my mind, to cut the sweetness some. I hear that one is a little tart, but creamy, so might balance well for you.

imJxmie

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Maybe reduce the percentage a little bit? That might really help if after a few days it's too sweet for you, or even adding something not super sweet to the mix, like just a bit of a contrasting flavor. Anything you think might go well with Vanilla Custard a fruit, or like a cookie or graham cracker flavoring. Just shooting ideas out there. Custard isn't one of my things, necessarily, but strawberry custard has many fans.

Even yogurt flavoring popped into my mind, to cut the sweetness some. I hear that one is a little tart, but creamy, so might balance well for you.
Thank you, I understand where your coming from, maybe if I make 5ml Vcustard x2 at maybe 4-6% and let one steep and vape on right away, might be able to narrow down whats causing it, maybe to much concentrate. but the revies and recipes say around 10-15% so it's quite confusing. could add a little berry flavor to the mix? I just cant really pin point what it is.

Thank you.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Thank you, I understand where your coming from, maybe if I make 5ml Vcustard x2 at maybe 4-6% and let one steep and vape on right away, might be able to narrow down whats causing it, maybe to much concentrate. but the revies and recipes say around 10-15% so it's quite confusing. could add a little berry flavor to the mix? I just cant really pin point what it is.

Thank you.
You can definitely add a berry to the mix, just choose your fave one. We're all kind of all over the place with the % we use. Everyone tastes things so differently. I have a couple that I keep on hand all the time. One is great just mixed, does not change at all over a couple of weeks. Another is good after about 4 days, then 2 weeks later, so sweet, like you, I can barely tolerate it.

Something else that may, or may not, work. Marshmallow flavoring is sometimes used to "moisten up" the feel of a vape. Even ethyl maltol at about 0.5% in a mix, AKA Cotton Candy flavoring.

imJxmie

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You can definitely add a berry to the mix, just choose your fave one. We're all kind of all over the place with the % we use. Everyone tastes things so differently. I have a couple that I keep on hand all the time. One is great just mixed, does not change at all over a couple of weeks. Another is good after about 4 days, then 2 weeks later, so sweet, like you, I can barely tolerate it.

Something else that may, or may not, work. Marshmallow flavoring is sometimes used to "moisten up" the feel of a vape. Even ethyl maltol at about 0.5% in a mix, AKA Cotton Candy flavoring.
Very informative, so the dryness and sort of paste like feel on my tongue is caused because of the sweetness?

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Very informative, so the dryness and sort of paste like feel on my tongue is caused because of the sweetness?

How long you been vaping?
Dryness could also be caused from dehydration.
I had dry mouth quite a bit when I first started vaping.
Most likely the sweetness is coming from the VG IMO.
CAP Vanilla Custard doesn't really taste very sweet by itself, I don't think it does anyway.
But 10% VC is a lot for me, might start at 5%.
Or make some plain without any flavoring to narrow it down.
It may just be the flavoring itself.

imJxmie

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
How long you been vaping?
Dryness could also be caused from dehydration.
I had dry mouth quite a bit when I first started vaping.
Most likely the sweetness is coming from the VG IMO.
CAP Vanilla Custard doesn't really taste very sweet by itself, I don't think it does anyway.
But 10% VC is a lot for me, might start at 5%.
Or make some plain without any flavoring to narrow it down.
It may just be the flavoring itself.

Been vaping for around 2 years now, and it's not just me that gets this I made a batch for my girlfriend and my father and they say the same, it's like something happens when it's allowed to steep. Don't really understand this whole thing, it's fine....leave it 2-3 days and it tastes horrible.
Thank you for your help

Fxck the FDA

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Been vaping for around 2 years now, and it's not just me that gets this I made a batch for my girlfriend and my father and they say the same, it's like something happens when it's allowed to steep. Don't really understand this whole thing, it's fine....leave it 2-3 days and it tastes horrible.
Thank you for your help

Fxck the FDA

Are you by chance using CAP VC v2?
If yes, throw it in the trash, JK, but it is kinda mostly just plain nasty:D.
Only thing it's good for is making Jason's White Coconut Cake IMO.

imJxmie

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Are you by chance using CAP VC v2?
If yes, throw it in the trash, JK, but it is kinda mostly just plain nasty:D.
Only thing it's good for is making Jason's White Coconut Cake IMO.

I'm not using that, I've purchased a vc from vapemate.co.uk

But what is causing it, I've vaped pure VG in my rda it's fine, made a batch without flavouring and it's fine, just when I let it steep it goes weird.

Could you confirm that it would be because I'm using to much flavouring? Even though the website told me to use 10% with that flavouring. I guess I could vape it without steeping.

Thanks

Fxck the FDA

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
But what is causing it, I've vaped pure VG in my rda it's fine, made a batch without flavouring and it's fine, just when I let it steep it goes weird.

Steeping without any flavoring gets weird?
Trying to use process of elimination to rule out the flavoring.
Then the only thing left would be the VG/NIC base that's causing it, since you don't use any PG.

Well, other than letting it steep longer, with flavoring, like for a month.
Some Custards can take a long time to get right.
And higher amounts tend to need more time IMO.

imJxmie

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Steeping without any flavoring gets weird?
Trying to use process of elimination to rule out the flavoring.
Then the only thing left would be the VG/NIC base that's causing it, since you don't use any PG.

My apologies, maybe I should have been clearer. I've made a batch 80/20VG 3MG Nic excluding the flavouring and it tasted fine, nothing dry and/or didn't leave a paste like feel on my tongue. But if I add flavouring to a new mix which is identical it tastes fine, nice, custardy pleasant taste. As soon as I let that steep for a few days it goes to complete rubbish, as explained, hopefully that will help as I'm not that clear with previous replies.

Thanks.

Fxck the FDA

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
As soon as I let that steep for a few days it goes to complete rubbish,

This is most likely the problem, Custard goes through several changes over time.
Make some to vape right away, and make another batch and put it away for a month.
You can test at 1 week, 2 weeks, and 3 weeks also.
It will probably turn a dark golden color when it's ready:D.
Then you can tell better if it needs more or less flavoring.

imJxmie

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This is most likely the problem, Custard goes through several changes over time.
Make some to vape right away, and make another batch and put it away for a month.
You can test at 1 week, 2 weeks, and 3 weeks also.
It will probably turn a dark golden color when it's ready:D.

Well thank you very much for your time and help, it's much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Fxck the FDA

PreparationHero

I drink and I know things
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
What nic do you use? And does it have any kind of scent? I get the same problem with custard and I have to make a batch without nic then add it right before I vape. Not sure why.

VU Sponsors