Become a Patron!

Fake News: 84% of e-cigs in one Utah county contain opioids

Irked Particle

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Here is a link to the petition to sign at Whitehouse.gov.
Please share everywhere; we need 100,000 signatures in 30 days. And remember to confirm your email for your signature to count!
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pe...ump-signing-federal-flavor-ban-e-cig-products

---
https://fox13now.com/2019/09/11/rep...county-vape-shops-tests-positive-for-opioids/

According to Rep. Paul Ray, this is true.

Are you kidding me? Can this actually be true? Or is there no end to the lengths people will go to bring this fear of vaping as a whole to a fever pitch?

We all knew there are already multiple problems on the table regarding our right to buy & use e-liquid. And several states & cities have already suffered devastating losses in the fight to keep e-cigarettes legal & available to the public.
But now, within just a week, the entire state of Michigan (just north of me! I'm in Ohio!) has banned flavors. There is a real possibility of the Trump administration seriously restricting flavor access (& hopefully only that, if we're lucky). And now I find this insane story.

I realize that some people have recently developed serious lung problems, but are we really to believe those cases are caused by vaping regular e-liquid, consisting of no more than vegetable glycerin, propylene glycol, & nicotine?
It seems much more likely to me that these health problems are being caused by the illegal, black market sources we've heard about. From what I've seen, there is already evidence pointing to this as being the culprit.

This article really bothers me. Even moreso, obviously, if it's actually true. But to me it just smacks of fear mongering designed to elicit a knee-jerk reaction to get flavors banned across the country, or worse. It sounds like a freaking The Onion headline!

Am I overreacting? Do you think this claim about e-liquid containing opioids (at least in Salt Lake County) could really be true? Please let me know what you think. I can't be the only one with a strong opinion on this story or its timing.

---
A personal note about advocacy:

Today has been a real wake-up call for me in terms of advocacy. In the past I've participated in some of CASAA's recommendations, but I never thought too much about really getting the word out about the benefits of vaping e-liquid as a smoking alternative. I just hope I didn't wait too long to register a reality check.

I hope that everyone here at VU & other forums starts or continues to do everything they can to help protect our right to safer alternatives to smoking.

If you're reading this & you haven't already, please sign the White House petition at the top of this post. Then head over to CASAA.org & follow their recommendations, including contacting lawmakers. I realize I'm preaching to the choir & that @VaporJoe has already a pinned message about this at the top of the site, but it can't hurt to repeat it, right?

I also think one of the best things we, as experienced vapers can do is educate our friends & loved ones about the benefits of e-cigs. Just today I talked to at least 3 people who were blatantly misinformed about even the most basic facts of what e-liquid is made of & what vaping as a smoking alternative really entails. The internet is great, but word of mouth is still a powerful thing.

I believe it is important to distinguish the use of electronic cigarettes from the term "vaping," which is a broad term which has helped stigmatize regular e-cig use by lumping it in with other narcotic or unknown substances that can also be vaporized.
And every one of us can help make this differentiation with every person with whom we speak & educate. I waited a long time to begin my advocacy, but I can promise I'll be talking to anyone who'll listen from now on. And above all, I'll never lose hope.

---
Thank you for reading this far. I didn't intend for this to turn into a full-on rant or manifesto, but hey, here we are.

I've been on VU for a year this month (Sept), & I'm so happy to be a part of this community. Take care, everyone, & remember, we'll get through this together, no matter what. :)

Last edited:

Rooster Cogburn

Memento Mori
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
From the story: tested positive for opioids, PCP, barbiturates, and THC.

No fucking way, people would be high as a kite. I mean when I’ve popped some barbies and oxy then smoked a J that’s been dipped in some liquid PCP I damn near lost my mind, didn’t know if I was coming or going. Even at pretty low levels, if you mix these drugs together the effects they have are compounded significantly. Then I read they used dipsticks that weren’t designed to test vape juice and I don’t even know what to say. How does something like this even come out as significant or noteworthy in any way. It’s would be like a headline on the front page of a newspaper reading “man spotted flying high in the air wearing tights and a cape” and then the article saying well I seen this on my tv during an episode of The Greatest American Hero. Like seriously WTF are these people thinking it’s completely outrageous. Oh by the way how about me mindfucking you by going with Ralph from TGAH. You totally thought I was going Superman, you think I’m turning right and I hang a sharp left, BOOM, you’ve been mindfucked. Believe it or not, I’m walking on air, I never thought I could feel so free-e. Flyin' away on a wing and a prayer, who can it be?
Believe it or not it's just me..........

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
all of this is part of a phase is fear tactics targeted at the misinformed all we can do is try time and again to get the word out that these blanket statement are just that and should be taken from the viewpoint of what does the government gain in banning vape flavors... the market shrinks and big T can push there approved products out.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Google had it buried pretty deep.
I hope the lab puts out that full statement that they mentioned as soon as possible.

I can't believe they used the dip sticks that they use to test piss:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Were they used piss test sticks? Otherwise how did opiates et al come up? It would be comical if people didn’t believe this shit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tornadoalleydeb

Vaping whilst slaying dragons in the land of Tyria
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I know the story is bullshit and here is why and someone needs to call this guy out. IF any opoids had been found in the ejuice. HSI and DEA would be all over the shops doing raids as we speak. Simple as that.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I know the story is bullshit and here is why and someone needs to call this guy out. IF any opoids had been found in the ejuice. HSI and DEA would be all over the shops doing raids as we speak. Simple as that.

Definitely. The whole idea behind this rumor is ridiculous. Street junkies would be lining up to get a cheap high from juice. I still can’t fathom that people truly buy into this happy horse shit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors