Become a Patron!

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hello all,

Today I received my IPV5 for e cigarette empire. So far I've been thoroughly impressed by it. Here's a quick run down...

Pro's

- So far battery life seems good. I got it rain around 12pm and have been steadily vaping between 70 to 85 watts in power mode and 65 watts at 520 degrees in SS TC. I'm at little below the halfway point so I should have no problem getting through a day.

- TC in SS mode is working great, better than my other two SS TC mods, the RX and Evic VTC. Since I'm using 316L I have the TCR set to 110 and the vape is warm and densce. What impressed the most is how using the standard value 92 actually provides a acceptable vape. On my Evic and RX using the same value seems very under powered.

- The over all fit and finish is great. It's a bit wide but comfortable enough. The buttons are very clickey with no rattle and the screen is very bright. The 510 is flush and everything I've screwed on sits flush.

- There is hardly any delay at all, when you hit the fire button it's shooting vapor out almost instantaneously.

- The battery door is probably the best I've seen on a mod. There is absolutely no play yet it comes off with ease.

Con's

- The temp can not be adjusted on the home screen. It needs to be clicked 5 times and then cycled through the menu. It's pretty cumbersome, especially when experimenting with it for the first time. However, being an owner of a D2, I knew this going in.

- it came with the dreaded glitch only mine capped out at 120 rather than the common 75 watts. I only had to do the fix once and haven't had the issue come back.

- When using temp control, there is no real time read out of what's going on. The only thing fluctuating on the screen is the applied voltage.

- As far as I can tell, there is no way to lock the device.

- Its tall, really tall. Add a standard 3.5 - 5ml tank and it becomes the Dekemba Motumbo of mods. Even with a shorty tank like the Herakles Plus V2 (pictured) it's still got some height to it.

- Its made by IPV so I'm not expecting any after market support. Good thing I'm happy with it the way it is.

So there it is. I feel that none of the cons are deal breakers and the pro's far out way them. I'll be making it my ADV for the next week so I'll update this thread if I discover any other pro's or cons. If you are considering one, I say go for it. Considering the price (I paid $57 with priority shiping) it's almost a no brainer. Below are some comparison pics for your viewing pleasure. I'm happy to answer any questions. Thanks for reading.

Photo 1 - IPV5 solo
Photo 2 - IPV5 vs VTC
Photo 3 - IPV5 vs Snow Wolf
Photo 4 - IPV5 vs Snow Wolf (side view)
Photo 5 - IPV5 vs RX200

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Congrats on the IPV5, I know you've been thinking about getting it for awhile, glad you are liking it. I have a question though. I know the way you enter Joyetech's TCR's is different than the standard TCR (I think you multiply by 10 the actual TCR). With DNA200's you enter the actual TCR's. On the IPV5 do you enter the actual or the Joyetech way? For 316l I use .00092 on the DNA200's, 110 seems awfully high.

PS On my IPV3 Li I have to lock resistance at room temperature by holding the + and - button, I assume the 5 is the same..

TCR-500x281.jpg

Cheers,
Steve

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Congrats on the IPV5, I know you've been thinking about getting it for awhile, glad you are liking it. I have a question though. I know the way you enter Joyetech's TCR's is different than the standard TCR (I think you multiply by 10 the actual TCR). With DNA200's you enter the actual TCR's. On the IPV5 do you enter the actual or the Joyetech way? For 316l I use .00092 on the DNA200's, 110 seems awfully high.

PS On my IPV3 Li I have to lock resistance at room temperature by holding the + and - button, I assume the 5 is the same..

TCR-500x281.jpg

Cheers,
Steve

Thanks, it took me a while but I finally pulled the trigger. As far as the TCR goes, I'm just plugging the number in and bumped it up to where I felt it was comfortable. On locking the resistance, it's the same, wait until it's at room temp and then hit the plus and minus. However, I didn't do that the first time I tried out the SS tc, which is stupid of me since I have been using TC for almost all my vaping recently. The first thing I did after opening it (after fixing the stupid glitch) was try out the TC and set up the TCR. In my excitement I forgot to lock the resistance. I realized that after reading your post. So, I went back, set the TCR for .00092 and actually locked the resistance in this time and it's working perfectly. That probably explains why I had such an inconsistent experience before. Thanks for unintentionally reminding me :)

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well I wondered if you had forgot and if that's why you were using that high of a TCR. I was trying to remind you just in case but also trying to write it in a way that wouldn't offend if if that wasn't the case my friend :)

Cheers,
Steve

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well I wondered if you had forgot and if that's why you were using that high of a TCR. I was trying to remind you just in case but also trying to write it in a way that wouldn't offend if if that wasn't the case my friend :)

Cheers,
Steve
No offense taken at all, sir. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.... I don't know much about the different chips but I can tell this Yihi chip is def a step up from what I'm used to. I can't wait to finally wade into DNA territory.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No offense taken at all, sir. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.... I don't know much about the different chips but I can tell this Yihi chip is def a step up from what I'm used to. I can't wait to finally wade into DNA territory.
No problem at all. I think I wrote something like that in your original thread. That is basically Yihi's next chip down from the 350J series (their top dog). It's an upgrade over the chip in my IPV3 Li so I thought you would like it. It's no secret that I'm a fan of the DNA200 but I also like Yihi 350J and 330 series chips as well! I'm always a little hesitant to give buying advice and happy when it turns out well. From everything I've heard the IPV5 delivers the power instantly, most people really seem to like it.

Cheers,
Steve

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No problem at all. I think I wrote something like that in your original thread. That is basically Yihi's next chip down from the 350J series (their top dog). It's an upgrade over the chip in my IPV3 Li so I thought you would like it. It's no secret that I'm a fan of the DNA200 but I also like Yihi 350J and 330 series chips as well! I'm always a little hesitant to give buying advice and happy when it turns out well. From everything I've heard the IPV5 delivers the power instantly, most people really seem to like it.

Cheers,
Steve

PM sent...

centella4u

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm getting mine soon (already placed an order, now all I do is wait for my vapemail), however, I keep hearing about this "glitch". How do you fix it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Question, after you fix the glitch, once you take the batteries out and replace them, does it come back and have to be fixed again? So i heard and would like to confirm

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Question, after you fix the glitch, once you take the batteries out and replace them, does it come back and have to be fixed again? So i heard and would like to confirm

Nope, it only took one time to fix it. However, I've heard varying reports with others having to do it every time. If that was the case with mine, it would be on its way back to CA.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm getting mine soon (already placed an order, now all I do is wait for my vapemail), however, I keep hearing about this "glitch". How do you fix it?

It's real simple to fix but the question that begs is, where is the patch? The fuckers at IPV have known about it for a while and have done nothing to fix it. From what I hear the fix came from consumers messing with it and stumbling on the fix rather that IPV giving out the info. Shady shady.

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It's real simple to fix but the question that begs is, where is the patch? The fuckers at IPV have known about it for a while and have done nothing to fix it. From what I hear the fix came from consumers messing with it and stumbling on the fix rather that IPV giving out the info. Shady shady.
You knew all that before hand, a shady company that does not even care to release bug fixes type updates, and you still it bought it .. makes my head spin :confused: :)

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You knew all that before hand, a shady company that does not even care to release bug fixes type updates, and you still it bought it .. makes my head spin :confused: :)
A couple of things I'll point out. P4Y doesn't make the chip, Yihi does so I'm assuming they are the ones who have to make the update, not P4Y. Maybe it's not an easy fix and they are working on it. I don't know anymore than you do what is going on so it's only a guess.

PS I've not heard anyone call Yihi shady and I wouldn't necessarily call P4Y shady. I'm not totally thrilled with them because I believe they stop updating things once a new model is on the way to raise sales of the new item. Since they would never confirm doing that, it's again just my opinion. I would more likely say I'm not a fan of that business model. No matter how you spin it the IPV5 is a lot of mod for the money imo!

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
A couple of things I'll point out. P4Y doesn't make the chip, Yihi does so I'm assuming they are the ones who have to make the update, not P4Y. Maybe it's not an easy fix and they are working on it. I don't know anymore than you do what is going on so it's only a guess.
That is the very definition of shady, if neither You, I, or anyone else knows what is up with this, reports claim that over third of all IPV5s in the market suffer from this, even those new production that are purchased lately still have them, and the only fix that is available is community-discovered, the company did not make any announcement about this, apologize or promise any fixes, even an explanation why this is happening, how can a company get more shady than this?

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@Wingsfan0310 - Very good points.

@Vapomizer - I've wanted one for a while and despite those shortcomings its still a really nice mod. It's almost worth it for how well the SS TC works alone... and $57.

centella4u

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
All in all, has anyone tried it with the new x2 tank? That was the main reason I ordered it. Since there's only 2 mods atm that work with the x2 tank, the IPV5 and the SX Mini ML Class.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
All in all, has anyone tried it with the new x2 tank? That was the main reason I ordered it. Since there's only 2 mods atm that work with the x2 tank, the IPV5 and the SX Mini ML Class.

I have not tried it and probably won't. I do my best to stick with regular old kanthal or stainless steel. I have done some reading on it and watched some vids and the reviews seem to be mixed. I started a thread on it and seems like there are some problems.

Here you go..

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/ipv-x2-pure-tank.213370/

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

I saw a video on Youtube by some unknown dude who was using/reviewing both together, IMO that tank (like the Altas) is not all that good, any average Sub-Ohm Tank or RTA would perform better in terms of vapor and flavor.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Everything about the Altus tank rubbed me the wrong way. The owner of the company likes to talk down to his customers, they put together the worst videos possible, they were very cagey about details regarding the materials used, they charged over $100 for what seemed to be a poorly made bottom fill tank.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
One thing I noticed last night while using the IPV5, it has a slight buzzing noise while being fired in TC but not in regular power. No idea what it is, just thought I'd mention it.

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
One thing I noticed last night while using the IPV5, it has a slight buzzing noise while being fired in TC but not in regular power. No idea what it is, just thought I'd mention it.
buzzing as in electrical noise coil-whining type or could there be any internal arching going on? can any other IPV5 owner verify if they hear the same?

Deeks

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ive been enjoying my IPV5 quite a bit. It did have that stupid ass glitch right away where I couldnt go past 75w, found out how to fix and no problems with that part since then. However, now and then it will get stuck on one of the M memory settings then I have click 5 times for the menu, go thru it and then once back to the main screen I can then adjust the Joules.

I havent really ran anything but stainless steel in temp mode since after maybe the first couple days of owning it. Works great as far as Im concerned for the low cost of a high powered mod. It does have a weird humm to it though in tc mode as already mentioned.

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
@Vapomizer
buzzing as in electrical noise coil-whining type or could there be any internal arching going on? can any other IPV5 owner verify if they hear the same?
I can confirm mine buzzes too in TC mode. Only the fire button buzzes, although I have reports of others where any button press will cause buzzing.

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
I do like some things, but overall., I'm not wholly impressed with it so far, but the full review is coming, hopefully in the next week. :)

VU Sponsors