Become a Patron!

For the love of God I Desperately need HELP!

Hi All,
I've made up a few juices from ELR (the most popular ones). They are only steeping a couple of days - I've tried a couple of them and I can taste nothing!!! off them. I know its only a couple of days but I should be tasting something? I've put a drop on my hand and I can taste flavour of this so something is in there. Is this because.......... I'm using Aspire Zelos at 20ish watts? Is there any point in me making recipes off ELR - will I never be actually able to taste them?? Can these only be tasted at 40,50,60 etc watts?
Is there anything I should/could be doing..... increase the concentrations add loads of sweetener?? Am I doing something wrong?????
I'm used to the off the shelf stuff. Is there somewhere else I can get recipes that would be more appropriate for me.
Please helppppp.......... I've spent loads of money on flavors and as far as I can see they are useless to me???
Thanks for any ideas on this,
Slick.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
When deciding to make a new recipe, it is always helpful to look at as many user comments as possible to see what kind of gear others are using who are praising the juice, especially the recipe's creator, if that info is available

I can't tell you if the recipes you made will mature the way you want them to with the gear you are using, but I would advise you to let them age awhile to see

I am a low wattage vaper also, but use only RBAs

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Hi Slick, welcome to VU.

Can you post an example of one that you've mixed? Don't add anymore flavoring, or sweetener. Over flavoring can kill a juice.

Funny, I was thinking of your Golden Oreo recipe as a possible good one for low wattage vaping, because I'm pretty sure it was developed by you for your low wattage style :)

Disclaimer: I have never tried the recipe myself, but know it is legendary :banana:

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Funny, I was thinking of your Golden Oreo recipe as a possible good one for low wattage vaping, because I'm pretty sure it was developed by you for your low wattage style :)

Disclaimer: I have never tried the recipe myself, but know it is legendary :banana:
Oh man, yeah definitely low wattage. I made that when I was using an ego and protank, lol. It was 11% flavoring, I've cut it down to about 2% now. My, how tastes change!

Hi Slick, welcome to VU.

Can you post an example of one that you've mixed? Don't add anymore flavoring, or sweetener. Over flavoring can kill a juice.

Thanks for the replys guys. Hope you can see the below. Its 14mg and 50/50 (hope you can see it). I don't think it's overloading on flavour (maybe too much nic but 14mg is weak for me)
upload_2019-2-22_19-16-14.png

This one is 12mg 50/50.
upload_2019-2-22_19-20-40.png
Cheers,
Slick.

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-22_19-11-15.png
    upload_2019-2-22_19-11-15.png
    24.1 KB · Views: 22

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Are you really making 19mg nicotine juice? Just wondering why that ratio has changed in the recipes?

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mmmmm, golden Oreo....:inlove: I still vape that one, even at 80+ watts, and it's still good!
Am I reading correctly that the first recipe posted is 26% flavor? A bit much for my taste, but I've found that heavier flavoring does take more time to steep. I don't think two days is near long enough with that one. Equipment definitely makes a difference. Quite a few mixes that were good with low wattage equipment tasted totally different when I started to sub ohm, and not for the better.
Thread moved to DIY General Discussion. ;)

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My final at the bottom say 3mg and up top says 3%. Wondering why yours is different
7eb8b5d68a31dabc1f5a6192825a83fc.jpg

Hey
This is the recipe I did on ELR - yeah its 26% flavour maybe that is way to high? But it should only be 14mg nic. But it's one of the # 1 recipes on ELR. I'll go back and check the original maybe I did something wrong :oops:
upload_2019-2-22_19-55-36.png
Thanks again to all - for the help
Slick

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Is the nicotine you have the 72mg 100pg like in the picture. Just wondering if this is someone's recipe like you didn't adapt the recipe to your nicotine and stuff? I'm kinda confused now.

Is the nicotine you have the 72mg 100pg like in the picture. Just wondering if this is someone's recipe like you didn't adapt the recipe to your nicotine and stuff? I'm kinda confused now.

Sorry I'm really new to this. Yeah - I used the recipe of ELR but changed the pg/vg ratio and nic quantity. The one in the above pic is what I did. The original is below.

upload_2019-2-22_20-10-14.png

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Welcome to VU. At those percentages you should be tasting something, either something good or something bad but all the same something. While I havent used the Zelos it looks pretty much like all other aspire tanks so it should be producing flavors. Have you tried some basics like running a new coil, trying a different tank and so on? I cant imagine not tasting 10% ripe strawberry.

Welcome to VU. At those percentages you should be tasting something, either something good or something bad but all the same something. While I havent used the Zelos it looks pretty much like all other aspire tanks so it should be producing flavors. Have you tried some basics like running a new coil, trying different tank and so on? I cant imagine not tasting 10% ripe strawberry.

I suppose I'm tasting something bad like vaping old socks.:eek:
Did'nt change the coil (cos I'm cheap - and only wanting to see what it generally tasted like - I don't think its the coil cos I'm vaping a batch of Athena I made up (using same pg vg nic) and that tastes fine).

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hey
This is the recipe I did on ELR - yeah its 26% flavour maybe that is way to high? But it should only be 14mg nic. But it's one of the # 1 recipes on ELR. I'll go back and check the original maybe I did something wrong :oops:
View attachment 132225
Thanks again to all - for the help
Slick
I think Strawberry Ripe @10% is too high. Thoughts everyone? What should he lower it to?

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
do you think it would be worth making one up at 5% Strawberry? do you think I should change any of the other flavour %'s?
the original recipe is from 2015? It never crossed my mind that this would matter? I'm thinking of starting smoking again!:gaah:
No don’t start smoking. Try lowering it to 5%. In the future look here on VU in the DIY section for recipes.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
do you think it would be worth making one up at 5% Strawberry? do you think I should change any of the other flavour %'s?
the original recipe is from 2015? It never crossed my mind that this would matter? I'm thinking of starting smoking again!:gaah:
No dont smoke again. That's back pedaling and out health is worth more than that

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have a few ideas. Go to ELR & plug in the flavors for that recipe in the “What’s can I make” tab. Find recipes with reviews.

Go to bullcityflavors.com & they have a Community Recipe Section. Those recipes have been tested to be be good. BCF makes it real easy for you to add all the needed flavors in your cart.

I love @wllmc Juicy Strawberry Cheesecake. I’ve made that over & over more times than I can count. I’ll go look for the recipe for you.

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
I wouldnt recommend going back to smoking. Some recipes just taste like shit and should be avoided. Just because someone ranks a recipe high doesnt mean its good. I specifically mentioned 10% Ripe strawberry because I have mixed 10% ripe strawberry and it definitely tastes like ripe caca. I mix ripe strawberry at something like a 1-2% max.

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
My perfect Strawberry is only 6% Ripe Strawberry TFA mixed with 2% Shisha Strawberry INW, and that's powerful in most mixes. 10% Ripe Strawberry would probably give that lovely argile sock taste... There are heavy mixers out there (like me) that do mix some flavors at 10% or sometimes even higher. But not with Ripe Strawberry.

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/wts-wtt-aspex-performance-coils.434798/

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My perfect Strawberry is only 6% Ripe Strawberry TFA mixed with 2% Shisha Strawberry INW, and that's powerful in most mixes. 10% Ripe Strawberry would probably give that lovely argile sock taste... There are heavy mixers out there (like me) that do mix some flavors at 10% or sometimes even higher. But not with Ripe Strawberry.

I'll have to try that one. Looking for a good strawberry at the moment myself. Made mustard Milk clone. But just trying different recipes

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Thanks for the replys guys. Hope you can see the below. Its 14mg and 50/50 (hope you can see it). I don't think it's overloading on flavour (maybe too much nic but 14mg is weak for me)
View attachment 132222

This one is 12mg 50/50.
View attachment 132223
Cheers,
Slick.
So everyone else has pretty much summed up what might be wrong. Strawberry Ripe @10% is just too damn high. 2-3% is probably more than enough. The recipe is from 2015? Yeah.....a lot of high percentage mixing. I think maybe all your percentages can be dropped a point or two or five....except the Caps Vanilla Custard. That one is fine....on the low side of things, actually. And it need a good long steep(IMO. I know plenty of people that like it fresh). The whole recipe could use a week, at least, to steep out.

Also....a PITA, I know, but have you single flavor tested, by any chance? That’s the only way you can figure out YOUR preferences with any flavor. And do some more research. ELR is actually pretty ok for flavor notes. Or go through back threads here in the Mixing section. Or hit YouTube and check out some mixing videos. There are tons.....

And ELR is a crap shoot. There are definitely some banging recipes on there, but you really gotta weed out the plethora of bad ones.

All my opinion. I generally don’t mix above 12%. You might need to mix like @VAPEROXX . I have no idea. Just don’t go back to smoking,

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
So everyone else has pretty much summed up what might be wrong. Strawberry Ripe @10% is just too damn high. 2-3% is probably more than enough. The recipe is from 2015? Yeah.....a lot of high percentage mixing. I think maybe all your percentages can be dropped a point or two or five....except the Caps Vanilla Custard. That one is fine....on the low side of things, actually. And it need a good long steep(IMO. I know plenty of people that like it fresh). The whole recipe could use a week, at least, to steep out.

Also....a PITA, I know, but have you single flavor tested, by any chance? That’s the only way you can figure out YOUR preferences with any flavor. And do some more research. ELR is actually pretty ok for flavor notes. Or go through back threads here in the Mixing section. Or hit YouTube and check out some mixing videos. There are tons.....

And ELR is a crap shoot. There are definitely some banging recipes on there, but you really gotta weed out the plethora of bad ones.

All my opinion. I generally don’t mix above 12%. You might need to mix like @VAPEROXX . I have no idea. Just don’t go back to smoking,
@wildgypsy70 is referring to me mixing flavors at high percentages. I'm known for it because I had a pretty nasty sinus surgery that left me with a diminished sense of taste and smell.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
If you decide to let these steep longer and still don't like them, maybe put them in a larger bottle, add only pg and vg, shake them really well and try them again. Cutting them in half might help, I'm with the crowd that says the percentages are too high. As mentioned, a recipe I created years ago that was posted at 11%, I now mix at a tad under 2%. The equipment I use these days, I can't tolerate near the amount of flavoring that I used to.

Any questions you might have, we're all happy to help, so don't give up. We were all new to mixing at one time, too, sticking with it is how we're still mixing.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sometimes you just got to try a few recipes to see what you like. I forgot to mention, I tried a bunch of the highest rated recipes on ELR too. I think most are overrated, out dated, and just average tasting.

It could be your equipment too or lack of sweetener if your used to it.

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
instead of making more you could just take half of it for instance if you have 30mls take out 15ml and add 15mls of VG and try it again. That will reduce the total flavoring by half and Its a better use of your supplies :) if you dont like it you didnt waste anything more but a little extra base material.

Last edited:
Hi
Thanks to everyone for all the advice. I'll give them another few days to steep and see if there's any improvement (here's hoping). If not I'll definitely try watering it down with VG. I'm just thinking I've done something wrong! Cause I made 5 different recipes (not just the 2 above) and they all taste like S**t. I've been thinking about it (ALOT) and.... I stupidly put in the flavours and then the nic on top then VG and lastly PG. Would the Nic have destroyed the flavours? I've just put a new coil in and I'm going try the best smelling one fingers crossed there'll be some taste of it. Just tasted it.... crossing your fingers doesn't help its still flavourless and horrible. Time will tell I suppose.
Thanks again to all for the help - its very much appreciated - and given me some hope to carry on.
Slick.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
IDK if it's been mentioned, but if you are a recent smoker, you won't taste much.

It takes weeks, months, sometimes even longer to clear out the effects smoking had on your system.
You were literally smoking your sinuses, tongue and throat like a ham for years.

When I started, we used 24mg juice and up to 25% in DIY flavors...but that was a looong time ago.
Now, I vape pretty conservatively at under 40W usually and still using 14-16mg DIY'd juice. For me, 8-10% is still pretty usual for DIY percentages.

All that matters is you aren't smoking, you do what is good for you and maybe have some fun too. Drink lots of water too, vaping dehydrates ya.

Perhaps your freaking out because you have withdrawals and need more nicotine? Ya can't just go from smoking to 3mg or something and expect a good result. I smoked mostly bareazz cigs for 35 years, I'm fine staying with 15mg. ;-)

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Also, try a one-flavor mix. Fuck the fancy shit until you learn that.
For simplicity, you could try a 'one-shot' flavoring. That is a pre-mixed blend of flavorings all ready to go.

Like: http://www.onestopdiyshop.com/category-s/176.htm

The folks at OSDIYS are super and will be happy to help you too. They got me started in DIY via MANY chat box replies...lol..great people.

I started DIY on a simple tobacco vape; just the PG, VG, Nic base, and one flavoring.
Me, I'd suggest something like Hangsen Essence RY4. It's a simple sweetish/nutty/tobacco, and if you hate it ya can always modify it.

OFC, if you hate tobaccos or just want away from them, that's fine too. Just don't try to dive before ya can swim, eh?

That 'old sock' taste? It might be your nic base....some nic bases are very strong smelling, almost dank. How old is it and what color?

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Also, if ya have a computer, this is indispensable for mixing recipes, IMHO:

eJuice Me Up - eJuice Calculator
http://www.ejuice.breaktru.com/

For most everything else like ohm's law stuff, coil building and a simple juice calc: https://www.steam-engine.org/

The Zelos is a pretty decent kit, but remember, if using pre-built coil heads...once you flavor them, they probably will stay that flavor unless you clean or replace them. Same if you burn one...burnt cotton tastes like shit forever.

Running multiple flavors through a single coil head will end up like MEH...
Most all DIY'ers have RDA's for testing stuff...easy to clean between mixes. :)

My advice: always have a juice you know and like around ready to vape. Whether DIY or pre-made it don't matter. That way, when you get frustrated with your current DIY efforts, and you will, you can just put aside the DIY project and go enjoy a vape. :D

DIY can be awesome, but it is not required to be a vaper. Many folks never DIY and are perfectly happy with that. Staying off cigs, that is the goal.

Last edited:

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
A few days steep is way to short. On average i steep 2 weeks minimal

VU Sponsors