Member For 5 Years
May be an image of text

SEE there's always a way :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
mail

The Joy of Gardening is alive and well!

We would love to hear one thing about COMPOST from yesterday’s episode that you learned or will apply this year. Join the conversation with other gardeners from around the world on Facebook here.

Get ready for today's episode, it's all about plants. Some of us have really large growing spaces, but an overwhelming amount of people have smaller plots.

WATCH STARTING AT 10AM PACIFIC TIME TODAY>>>Small Plot Growing & Packing In Plants
*You can watch this episode free until 10am Pacific / 1pm Eastern tomorrow.

A few words from the thousands of people who are joining us from around the world: “I am enjoying this series…” “I feel empowered…” “So informative…” “Love the lessons! So much information!”

Enjoy! That’s what this event is all about … finding joy in your garden. 💚

To Your Joyful Garden,
🌱 The Grow Your Own Vegetables Team 🌱

P.S. Tomorrow, you’ll discover the garden resource very few people ever talk about.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
mail

Can you believe we are more than halfway through this docuseries?!

Please share a takeaway from yesterday’s Plant episode on Facebook here that you can incorporate into your garden plan this year?

Starting at 10am Pacific today...Episode 5 is why we are all here. We want a fresh food lifestyle where we are harvesting the healthiest, juiciest, most flavorful, cleanest (insert your descriptors that make you feel joyful about your fresh food) food possible.

>>>Fitting Gardening into Your Lifestyle
*You can watch this episode for free until 10am Pacific / 1pm Eastern tomorrow.

If you can’t figure out how to fit gardening into your lifestyle and life is constantly throwing a wrench in your grand master plans, how do you get the lifestyle? It can be very challenging, especially if you’re busy. And we get it!

That’s why Episode 5 is so important. It transforms the entire docuseries from a how to grow, to a how to get the lifestyle, the long term success, the vision, the everything you have for yourself and your life. The strategies of Episode 5 can help… and they are just a few of the strategies you can use to integrate gardening into your everyday life.

Have you been able to apply any of the lessons to your garden yet? If so, do you have any wins or results to share?

To Your Joyful Garden,

P.S. Tomorrow, get ready for another very important area of a happy and healthy garden… 💦

Here is what people are saying about yesterday’s episode:

“I learned about how close together plants could go, what to plant slide-by-side, the temps needed. the best soil mixture, and how/when to broadcast seed.” Nancy W.

“The charts with germination time/temps were very useful (I DO start most of my own plants from seed), as well as recipes for seed starting mix and soil blocking mix. I also liked the idea of starting the fall babies near the irrigation tape. THANKS.” Nancy A.

“I now understand the importance of hardening my seedlings. I lost my hard work last year doing it wrong. Never again. Thank you so much!” Johanne G.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ends Monday! Watch 'Grow Your Own Vegetables' for Free
Typically, you have to pay to gain access to Stacey Murphy’s beloved "Grow Your Own Vegetables" online course. However, she is sharing much of it for free via her 8-episode docuseries: the Joyful Gardener Virtual Event, and there are still a few days left to join.
Warmly,​
mail

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
mail

We are so glad you are hanging out with us this week!

Have you been able to identify or apply any of the lessons from yesterday’s episode, Fitting Gardening Into Your Lifestyle yet? If so, do you have any wins or takeaways to share?

Please share those wins or takeaways on Facebook here.

Episode 6 is all about water 💦 and it starts at 10am PT today.

>>> Simple Irrigation Systems

Watering is one of the most TIME CONSUMING tasks in the garden and who doesn't love to meander about the garden watering with the hose iconically watching the birds and the bees… but there’s not always time for that!

Spending time relaxing in the garden is important. But watering by hand is not the best task choice if you have a lot going on. Because if you run out of time, your plants may not get the precious liquid life force they need.

You want to know that your garden is not too dry, not too wet… not too often, not to sparse… the list goes on. Episode 6 is all about how to be a Garden Goldilocks and make the just right water choices.

To Your Joyful Garden,

P.S. Mark your calendar: There will be a 🎉 Joyful Gardener After Party 🎉 to come together and celebrate after the final episode airs. The celebration will happen on Tuesday, February 22nd at 3pm PT / 6pm ET. More details coming soon!

P.P.S. Up for tomorrow … you’ll get to see how to pick your most succulent and flavorful veggies and herbs ever. Harvest time! 🥒🥦🥕🥗🍅

Check out these takeaways from yesterday’s episode:

“Once again, planning, planning, planning will save time and labor when growing your own. I need to get started planning before I start planting this year. I can see I have been going about it all in a haphazardly way. It is time to get serious!” Kathy C.

“I will be starting over with a new garden plot next year, and I promised myself that an irrigation system would be a part of the planning phase. No more tripping over hoses. Thanks for the great ideas.’ Janet W.

“Loved the easy ways to measure the moisture in our raised beds..as we water and also the useful tools for determining how long we need to water particular vegetables and beds. These will be implemented into our garden this year and are real time and resource savers!” Martha D.

____________________​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
mail

We are in the home stretch but still have so much to share with you!

What have you learned from this docu-series so far that you have applied to your garden (or plan to soon)? Please share those discoveries or results in the Facebook group here.

Episode 7 is all about harvesting for higher yields (starting at 10am Pacific today)… getting every last morsel from your garden. 🥒🥦🥕🥗🍅

>>> Harvesting and Pruning to Improve Yields

You may recall in Episode 2, on soil, that we mentioned that the best growers don’t grow plants, they grow soil. And that’s true. We don’t grow plants, mother nature does all that. We are, however, the stewards.

To Your Joyful Garden,

P.S. Tomorrow wraps up this docuseries but it’s one of the most important episodes. It could determine the difference between ending the season with a bowl full of salad or dozens of pounds of harvested produce! Don’t miss it!

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yep... happens every year here (central CA) early "false spring" then suddenly cools down. We have frost advisory for several days and snow coming to the mountains. Garden will have to wait.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Years ago, I made my own compost (lawn clippings, leaves, veggi scraps, ect) Between my mothers yard (huge lawns, lots of leaves) and my son got a rabbit for the grandkids... and more lawn and leaves. It would have made excellent compost (I had rabbits and the droppings are golden for compost) Anyway... just couldn't get them both on board so it never happened (they both just buy bags of stuff that is nowhere as good and this would have been free... I would have even done all the work involved) Oh well.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Seed Up Saturday
Jump in HERE!​

Hey Jimi,
The processes inside nature are the most prolific systems on the planet. I have said for years that the ONLY place that lack lives is between our ears. And that is displayed in the amazing amount of fruit from my trees and the mind blowing amount of seeds I am able to harvest from my garden.
The picture is HALF my yearly harvest of cowpeas that grow wild in my yard. Seven pounds is what you see AND I did not plant them this year or last - they just come back naturally.

Can you imagine your garden providing you a never ending supply of seeds? It's possible and actually quite simple, you just need to know the rules.
I have dedicated my life to teaching how to become more self sufficient and saving seeds is one of the most productive things you can do to that end.
Seed Up Saturday is your opportunity to start venturing down your own seed saving path. Join me for this free 3-hour online event this Feb 26 at 1pm Mountain Time for the inspiration to take your garden to the next level.
Seed Up Saturday will help by showing you why seeds are key in creating a healthier life for you and your family, and a better world.
Click HERE to reserve your spot at Seed Up Saturday (it's free)
This Seed Up Saturday (all new lineup of classes) is all about:
  • Why Save Seeds
  • Seed Saving 101
  • Seed Storing
  • Starting From Seed
  • Garden Nutrition and Seed Soaking
  • Bulk Orders and Limitless Possibilities
Seed Up Saturday is free to attend, and there will be opportunities to ask the experts your pressing seed questions. You’ll also have opportunities to stock up on bulk seeds to start (or continue) your own seed journey.
Remember growing seeds is the most abundant and simplest action you can take for the long term success of your garden. Start HERE!

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It feels like yesterday...

It was the spring of 1999, and Kimberly and I were planning our wedding.

We were getting married by the waterfall that we hiked to on our first date. It was just us and a few friends for a misty morning ceremony deep in the forest.

We grew 100 calendula starts to give to everyone who joined us at an afternoon potluck, a little herbal gift that would spread healing throughout our community.

This was our first year learning about herbs together, and I was amazed how simple it was to grow all those calendula plants. Simply pressing this little seed in the dirt grew a plant that could make healing oils for years to come. It was miraculous.

Just a few years later, my son Rowan and I would plant calendula and other container herbs on our tiny apartment balcony.

Since those early days, we’ve moved some of our favorite herbs to eight different homes as our family grew up. Many of those original herbs from our first years of marriage are still with us today.

This shows you that medicinal plants are MUCH more forgiving than vegetables when it comes to gardening. It’s so simple to grow your own medicine.

In fact, you can start your medicinal herb garden with five plants that Tara Ruth shares in today’s post.

Tara shares...

• The growing needs...
  • The medicinal benefits...
  • Plus what to make with these five amazing herbs.
It’s true that there are a lot of medicinal plants that you can gather in the wild. I love wildcrafting. However, there’s also many healing herbs that we use from our garden. All of the herbs for our healing salve, elecampane for cough syrup, echinacea for our tinctures... these all come from our garden.

Gardening is fun, empowering, and super rewarding.

Also, now is the perfect time of year to start planning your garden.

Join Tara for How to Start an Herb Garden with 5 Easy-to-Grow Medicinal Plants.

Happy gardening!

John Gallagher
LearningHerbs

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
We’re back! Encore of all 8 Episodes are now available

Last chance to see it

Reviews are coming in from Joyful Gardener Docuseries viewers from around the world, and the consensus is …

...“The Joyful Gardener Docuseries explains science, systems and processes in such an easy to understand way.”
…”It makes gardening more successful, which makes gardening more enjoyable!”
…”Wow, what a game (harvest) changer! Thank you!”
…”I can do this! You make it simple to understand what I need to do”
...“So informative and easy to understand. Stacey's delivery is clear and compassionate.”

Many of you wrote in asking for access to a daily episode you missed. We hear you! And we want gardening to fit into your lifestyle…including finding information and inspiration :)That’s why we’re giving you extended access to the WHOLE docuseries!

GOOD NEWS!!! You’re getting an additional 36 hours to watch every episode in the docuseries!!!

Simply go to this page to start binge watching right away 😉:

>>> Watch ALL the Replays for the Next 36 Hours

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hey Jimi,
WOW our Seed Up Saturday event was a smashing success. We got to hear from our team about many aspects of saving seeds and so much more. If you missed it, the replay is available until March 5th at this LINK!
This Seed Up Saturday (all new lineup of classes) is all about:
  • Why Save Seeds
  • Seed Saving 101
  • Storing those Seeds
  • Starting From Seed
  • Seed Soaking & Garden Nutrition
  • And a Great Segment Bulk Orders and Limitless Possibilities
The links we mentioned for more information are:
  • Great American Seed Up Seed Bundles - HERE - Order by March 5 for two extra varieties of seeds.
  • Seed Soaking Supplies - HERE - Use Coupon Code SEEDSOAK for 5% off your order - Good Till March 5.
  • Seed School Online - HERE - Use the Coupon Code SEED for $100 off - Good till March 5.

Greg Peterson
Your Urban Farmer

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hey there!

Homegrown tastes SO good…There's nothing like fresh-picked vegetables and herbs, chock full of flavor!

And when you grow your own, there are so many varieties to choose from so you're never bored with your food.

And the good news is that you don't need a lot of space to grow your own greens.

You might want to think about your garden as a BIG homegrown health plan in a teeny, tiny box.

CLICK HERE to discover how LITTLE garden space you need to grow ALL your own greens.

(It’s less than you might think!)

And here's what I want you to remember…Your garden doesn’t have to be big to yield big results or bring you joy. Sometimes the tiniest gardens are the ones that make the biggest impact.

Maybe you want a small container garden, or an indoor micro-garden. Or maybe you want to take over the whole lawn! The size doesn’t matter. If you're growing greens, you ARE a gardener!

How much space do YOU need?

Watch the video to find out just how little space it takes to put homegrown, fresh greens on your plate!

Enjoy!

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hey Jim!

With perhaps the most instability and uncertainty in Western democracies in 80 years, this is a time when many people (including me!) are thinking more about self-reliance, community, and food security.

With that in mind, I want to let you know about a very important webinar that will teach you how to grow your own food.

It’s called: “How To Grow Lots Of Food In A Grid Down Situation Even If You Have No Experience, Are Older, And Out Of Shape”.

This is for people who want the fastest and easiest ways to produce healthy and delicious meat, eggs,and vegetables.

This educational webinar will cover:

• Current status of global food supply (there are major players working to centralize the global food supply – which some think is good, and others, like me, think is very dangerous)
  • How much space you need
  • The easiest, fastest and highest calorie foods to produce
  • A full plan to be able to produce all your own food
  • How to get started today (regardless of the season!)
This is a free livestream event and the most popular part is the Q&A after the presentation, so come with your questions you want answered!

Growing your own food is like printing your own money, so….

<< CLICK HERE to register for this free educational webinar Monday September 13th at 2pm CST >>

Yours in health,

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What’s the #1 key to unlocking abundant harvests, managing pests, and increasing the nutrient density of the food you grow?

Healthy soil!

Soil is all the garden buzz these days, and for good reason. If you get your soil right, everything else starts falling into place. Healthy soil even contains natural antidepressants!

Creating healthy soil starts with having information you can understand and apply in your garden. You don’t need to start a science lab or search the YouTube abyss!

Are you ready to learn how to make soil better and better, season after season, year after year?

There’s no better place to learn more about soil than with our garden friend, Matt Powers, author of Regenerative Soil. He has put together a new course based on his bestselling book!

The Regenerative Soil Course is all about understanding soil and taking action in your garden.

Matt will teach you what to do, when to do it, and why these steps matter. The course is designed for your context, whether you’re a beginning gardener or experienced farmer, no matter where you live. Global soil experts and farmers weigh in with the latest soil studies and science, and you can start applying these lessons in your garden immediately!

Learn how to:
  • Turn all your waste that can decompose into amazing soil
  • Reverse erosion & heal degraded soil
  • Turn clay, sand, & silt into rich, chocolatey loam
  • Absorb & store tons of water = water less
  • Partner with plants, microbes, animals, machines, & more to build soil
  • Use a Microscope & SEE what’s in your soil
  • Save money, time, & effort

The equation is simple: Healthy soil = healthy plants = healthy animals and humans!

>>> Learn more about the Regenerative Soil 2022 Course here

When you register using this link, you’ll receive special pricing plus some amazing bonuses (especially if you’re interested in using a microscope to evaluate soil) and his hardcover book included!!!

Don’t just take our word for it. Check out what his students are saying:

“Wow! I haven't even had my coffee yet, as I was so thoroughly engaged, and was in a time warp because those forty five minutes seemed like seconds.” - David

“Just so you know, This Is A Fantastic Course. Thank you sooo much.” - Melinda

“Thank you Matt for making this real.” - Rikesh

2022 is your year to ‘dig deep’ and get your soil working for you! Matt Powers’ Regenerative Soil Course will help you break ground on garden abundance.

P.S. Dig Into Healthy Soil with Expert Matt Powers! Learn more here.

Matt’s physical book (included with the course) alone is an invaluable reference tool you will come back to time and time again.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Years ago, I used to pick wild greens, herbs, ect. Some for food, some for medicinal uses, and some (like dandelion roots) for a coffee substitute (just add some chicory) Then I got scared... saw them being sprayed with "roundup" weed killer. A plant may have been sprayed but you won't know for days. I still feel safe with wild plants in the mountains (away from cities) but no way here in the city where I live.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yes NEVER eat wild grown herbs from the city, even places in the country, I don't like to eat any I didn't grow, sometimes I have to. I do forage for herbs and mushrooms growing deep in the woods. Glad you aware of this, so many don't :eek:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hey Jimi!

(The previous email we sent had the wrong date mentioned - the correct date is March 12th as mentioned below)

With perhaps the most instability and uncertainty in Western democracies in 80 years, this is a time when many people (including me!) are thinking more about self-reliance, community, and food security.

With that in mind, I want to let you know about a very important webinar that will teach you how to grow your own food.

It’s called: “How To Grow Lots Of Food In A Grid Down Situation Even If You Have No Experience, Are Older, And Out Of Shape”.

This is for people who want the fastest and easiest ways to produce healthy and delicious meat, eggs, and vegetables.

This educational webinar will cover:

• Current status of global food supply (there are major players working to centralize the global food supply – which some think is good, and others, like me, think is very dangerous)
  • How much space you need
  • The easiest, fastest and highest calorie foods to produce
  • A full plan to be able to produce all your own food
  • How to get started today (regardless of the season!)
This is a free livestream event and the most popular part is the Q&A after the presentation, so come with your questions you want answered!

Growing your own food is like printing your own money, so….

<< CLICK HERE to register for this free educational webinar Saturday March 12th at 2pm CST >>

Yours in health,

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Films About Soil​

I recently came across this page with a handly list of six eye-opening, mind-blowing, and inspiring movies about soil and its many virtues and powers.
However, one must-see film is missing from this list ...
... The Need to Grow.
If you haven't seen it yet, you'll definitely want to check it out.
By the way, Rob Herring, the co-creator of this film put together an awesome bonus package in connection with the film. If you want to see the list of what is included, click here for more info, and then check your inbox in a few minutes for another email that I will automatically send you with the details.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
My mother and me are very excited. Watered the garden(s) going to till in some soil amendments.
Most local places do not have tomato plants yet... so i called the local nursery (I love these guys and like to support them) Do you have tomato plants (yes) do you have Ace (yes... that is the variety that mom likes) and I was going to plant "snow peas" from seed but should have started that sooner... they had 6-packs of starters ready to go (woo ho) Double score! The tomato starts are very healthy and super thick stems (best I have seen in years) Support your local nursery! Going to till in some stuff monday. Very soon will be planting peppers (jalapeno and poblano) Never had much luck with sweet (bell) peppers but last year these two kicked ass. After the snow peas crap out I will consider planting something else (maybe herbs)

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My mother and me are very excited. Watered the garden(s) going to till in some soil amendments.
Most local places do not have tomato plants yet... so i called the local nursery (I love these guys and like to support them) Do you have tomato plants (yes) do you have Ace (yes... that is the variety that mom likes) and I was going to plant "snow peas" from seed but should have started that sooner... they had 6-packs of starters ready to go (woo ho) Double score! The tomato starts are very healthy and super thick stems (best I have seen in years) Support your local nursery! Going to till in some stuff monday. Very soon will be planting peppers (jalapeno and poblano) Never had much luck with sweet (bell) peppers but last year these two kicked ass. After the snow peas crap out I will consider planting something else (maybe herbs)
When I plant my sweet peppers I put about 10 to 20 farmer match heads in the hole then add 1/2 inch of dirt then plant. Peppers, especially sweet peppers love sulfur and the phosphorus (self striking tip) helps them root better. Peppers are sulfur lovers. ;)

Last edited:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Both of your Urban Grower’s Guide emails this month will be focused on getting started as a beginner. If you’ve been waiting to start growing food until the right moment, your moment has arrived.
I’d like to gift you one of my most popular resources for beginning gardeners: my online class called 3 Steps Jump Start Your Urban Farm.
In this class, I share everything you need to get started, including what it means to be an urban farmer, 3 steps to take to get started easily, how to create healthy soil, and more.
HOW TO ACCESS YOUR FREE CLASS...
If you ALREADY have an account with Urban Farm U:

Click HERE to log into the Student Resource Library. Simply sign in with your email and password and 3 Steps to Jump Start Your Urban Farm will be waiting for you! (It might take up to 10 minutes after clicking the link above for the class to show up in your account.)
If you DO NOT have an account with Urban Farm U:
If you do not have an account yet, click HERE and then wait a few minutes. You will receive an email with login instructions. If you do NOT receive the email after 5 minutes, go to the link above and click "Forgot password" to get a new password email sent to you.
Please email [email protected] if you experience any trouble accessing the class.
3 Steps to Jump Start Your Urban Farm is great for anyone just getting started, or anyone that needs a little extra inspiration. Please enjoy!

Greg Peterson
Your Urban Farmer

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
[Action Hour] Waking your inner gardener

Hi Jimi,
Do you like farm-to-table meals that taste amazing and nourish your health? You can’t get food that’s any fresher, or more nourishing, than food you grow yourself!
That’s why we’ve invited Stacey Murphy to join us for our March Action Hour discussion to inspire your inner gardener and help you get growing — no matter what your circumstance. Stacey helps gardeners of ALL skill levels to grow lots of food in small spaces — so they can enjoy fresh, affordable vegetables while creating a more sustainable future.
Watch this month's Action Hour video interview here.
Stacey is a masterful and inspiring food-growing mentor. She believes growing food organically is the best health plan for people, communities, and the earth. Dozens of her students who have trained at her backyard urban farms have gone on to start their own homesteads, gardens and organic farms.
Even if you’re short on time or money, pressed for space, or have a challenging climate, Stacey has made it her mission to remove all the perceived obstacles so you can have the opportunity to “wake up, step into your garden, and harvest organic breakfast greens or mint for your morning tea.”
Check out our inspiring conversation right here.
Like Stacey says, “Gardening is cheaper than therapy…and you get tomatoes!”
Yours for the empowering benefits of growing your own food,
Ocean Robbins

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Recipe for a Garden that Grows!​

Nutrient-rich food grown right from home to boost your immune system and help fight disease… that’s what we call a homegrown health plan.
Plus, have you ever noticed how people who grow food laugh more and smile more?
When you follow Stacey’s garden recipe, you will see how it can take JUST MINUTES each day to grow vegetables and herbs for you and your family. That makes gardening a lifestyle of sheer joy.
It’s easier than you think! Get ready to grow!

How much time do you spend in YOUR garden?

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Apparently Russia produces 40% of the worlds fertilizer (or so I read), so ya know - garden more. But if you are someone who doesn't know how or worries you can't do enough my friend Marjory has a live event this Saturday you should check out. It's called You Can Grow Food and it is the perfect place to start (or start again).

"How To Grow Lots Of Food In A Grid Down Situation Even If You Have No Experience, Are Older, And Out Of Shape"​

Last edited:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hi Jimi,
Thanks so much for registering for the "You Can Grow Food" Live Webinar!

I want to make sure we're all able to thrive through all the changes coming our way . . .
To help you get started right away, here are 5 of our most popular Community resources:
50 Easy And Free Fertilizers - An all-time favorite eBook that shows you how to turn common household trash into soil-building treasure!
Free Chicken Feed - Video guide from Justin Rhodes on cutting your chicken feed bill by 100%.
Compost Everything (Even Your Enemies) - A really funny movie created by David the Good that will have you laughing all the way through new methods of creating compost.
Adventures in High-Performance Gardening - An incredible 33-episode series you won't be able to resist binge-watching! Watch every step as two experienced gardeners go from raw lawn to huge harvest.
And, just for fun, A Hilarious Rooster Ad (Please don’t read this if you are easily offended!)

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Hey, Jimi –
Does your produce
come from a gas chamber?​
If you buy it from a grocery store, then yes, it likely does!

Watch Event co-hosts Alec Zeck and Tara Pilling as they talk with Chef Mollie Engelhart, Brian Maisenbacher, and Rob Reiner about this topic (and the importance of connecting with a local farmer).

VU Sponsors