Become a Patron!

Garden time is coming

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I figured I would make a thread for those here who garden. With the rising prices of food, and it WILL go up a lot more sooner than we'd like, here's a chance to save, eat healthier, and get out in the sun more.
Please post what you want (garden related), chat, post info, ask questions, and post pictures, lets all learn from one another.

Last edited:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

TIME FOR TOMATOES!​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

WHAT KIND OF COMPOSTER ARE YOU?​

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
The rabbits around my place would love it if I planted a garden. I have so many around my place it looks like I raise them for a living. Squirrels and Wild turkeys also.
I don’t think a garden would survive.

The one time hubbs and I planted a garden, well, between the rabbits and the deer, we got one mess of green peas out of it. The rest went toward healthier fauna. Sunburns and all. :)

Wonderful idea for a thread, @Jimi. I know it will be a big help especially to novice gardeners. :hug:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The one time hubbs and I planted a garden, well, between the rabbits and the deer, we got one mess of green peas out of it. The rest went toward healthier fauna. Sunburns and all. :)

Wonderful idea for a thread, @Jimi. I know it will be a big help especially to novice gardeners. :hug:
Thank you my friend :hug: , just thought with food prices goin up and availability some places are having with these shortages that maybe it help our community to get by and most of all be healthier. :)

MC5

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
We have rabbits, squirrels and the occasional deer to deal with. We surrounded our garden last year with chicken wire and put bricks around the perimeter and it kept the rabbits out and made it hard for the deer to reach over. The squirrels were another story.

This season I'm going to make frames out of scrap wood and cover the things the squirrels pillage, particularly squash. They munched every flower last season. The zucchini kept trying all summer while the other varieties gave up after a month or so.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Most of you all know the information I am going to post now but this is for those that don't.

Let's talk about seeds for a minute. Seeds come in three main types, Organic seeds (which is the healthiest) Non GMO seeds (which CAN be alright for your health if you grow them right.) And GMO seeds, these I URGE YOU TO AVOID.

Organic Seeds: These seeds are from organic parent plants grown organically. These are the healthiest IF you grow them organically. Plants grown from these seeds will die if sprayed with GMO herbicide Glyphosate.

Non GMO Seeds: These seeds were grown from non GMO plants (the seeds themselves have NO GMO genetics bred into them but were grown with chemical salt fertilizers and chemical pesticides.). These seeds if grown organically are very healthy for you. even if you had to spray them with a chemical they can still be healthy IF you soak and wash them properly ( I'll cover that later). Plants from these seeds will die if sprayed with GMO's like Glyphosate.

Side note: Glyphosate and 2 4 D were the main active ingredients in Agent Orange

GMO Seeds: These seeds should of never existed, Glyphosate, causes cancer. These seeds came from genetic modification, they have GMO herbicide genetically engineered into every cell of the plant they produce, THERE IS NO WAY TO WASH OFF/OUT THESE CANCER CAUSING POISONS. So Please stay away from these. Now you have to remember that there is NO regulation that says they have to place this info on the packages so my advice to you is stick to ordering from major seed companies that make the statement that THEY DO NOT SELL GMO SEEDS.

Side note for any of you that don't know why health means so much to me is because I have stage 4 cancer and this is one of the big ones I account for my staying alive for the past almost 7 years and I'd like to share that.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
No, he didn't go after the beans but I also had my Cucumber Plants eaten at the ground level before they even grew~! I would hate to have to fence in my Garden but I think I might have to do it.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It would be worth your effort my friend, better than taking a chance. I have to fence several things but have never had to fence cukes. I grow my cucumbers on a fence though.

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It would worth your effort my friend, better than taking a chance. I have to fence several things but have never had to fence cukes. I grow my cucumbers on a fence though.

I grow my cukes on a Rope Trellis and had Plants 10 feet high last year but I think birds or Squirrels were eating them~! That's what I get for feeding the birds~!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I started doing it for my Mom and the Bunny is an Italian since he eats the Italian Bread but not really the Carrots I put out for him~! I have a birdbath for them made of Concrete and stone.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Thank you for this thread! Looking forward to learning what I can do to enhance my garden

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Holistic Farming + Improving the Food Chain
(Your Immune System Starts with Good Food!)​

Hi Jimi-

I am so excited to share this episode of Beyond Wellness with you. Today I am joined by Joel Salatin–American farmer, lecturer, author, and owner of Polyface Farm. He uses successful, unconventional agricultural methods which are "beyond organic".

I'll start by talking us through the food journey and how a strong immune system starts with our food. We'll dive into segregation vs. integration in conventional vs. unconventional farming.

The benefits of Polyface Farm's methods are obvious–Salatin chooses not to mass produce to maintain a holistic and environmentally friendly business model. We shift into a discussion about quality and nutrient density of foods. We look at how some recent studies, documentaries, and food movements sweep over the fact that organic grass-fed meat is of a far superior quality to fast food meat.

The quality of mass produced meats, fast food "meats", and organic grass-fed meats are all different. Much is covered during this podcast, but stay until the end to learn how our food-spending habits are changing with the times. While we used to spend 18% of our income on food and less on health, now it is the opposite. I see this need to spend more on health in direct correlation with the quality and nutrient density of today’s foods. Spend more money on good quality food that is high in nutrients and you’ll spend less on hospital bills, etc.

I can't wait for you to listen to this episode!

>> Click here to check out the podcast!<<

In this episode, we cover:

00:00 Intro to holistic farming
07:01 Junk food epidemic
19:47 Food processing plants
26:16 Politics of food
31:10 Nutrient-dense food
37:00 Plant protein vs animal protein, bacteria, biomass and the climate
44:24 Food labels and grading system

>> Click here to check out the podcast!

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My onion seeds broke dirt today, still to small to get a good picture with my phone camera but probably will tomorrow

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I haven't seen @DaBunny around for some time, hope she is alright, I told her last spring that I would help her get onions this year and now I can't her:(:(:confused:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

To Insure We Eat Chemical-Free, Nutritious Foods, We Must Grow Our Own​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The first signs of spring here in central Illinois
20220129_161822.jpg

^^^ these are ^candy" sweet onions, at harvest they can get larger than a softball.

20220129_161900.jpg

^^^These are Red nugent sweet onions, I've enver had these but wanted to try them

20220129_161932_Burst01.jpg

^^^these are Sierra Blanca sweet onions, very sweet and get almost as big as the candy strain
Last year, with the covid delay at seed companies, I was over a month later than this year, onions have to be started very early if grown from seed. If I still have a pic of last years onions I'll post it.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The rabbits around my place would love it if I planted a garden. I
My son has a greenhouse. but also has a pet rabbit...not an easy thing to deal with (he seems to have fixed the situation with "railroad ties" from the "re-doing" the entire backyard (the greenhouse blew over in a storm... strong winds, but the old railroad ties have resolved that issue (and the rabbit issue) He loves the pet rabbit, but it can easily dig out of it's cage and also dig into the greenhouse (good luck with that) It eats everything (even a citrus tree... jumped up and broke off a branch and munched all the leaves) They love "Bun Bun" but.... will have to secure the greenhouse this spring. Good luck with that bro.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
We (mother and I) considered starting tomatoes from seed this year (have always bought seedlings already started) but we are having an early spring and maybe too late for that (I suggested starting them under lights but still too late for that) It's still too soon to plant (even though it has been close to 60 deg F) we get fooled every year with that... a week from now it will be heavy frost.

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
My son has a greenhouse. but also has a pet rabbit...not an easy thing to deal with (he seems to have fixed the situation with "railroad ties" from the "re-doing" the entire backyard (the greenhouse blew over in a storm... strong winds, but the old railroad ties have resolved that issue (and the rabbit issue) He loves the pet rabbit, but it can easily dig out of it's cage and also dig into the greenhouse (good luck with that) It eats everything (even a citrus tree... jumped up and broke off a branch and munched all the leaves) They love "Bun Bun" but.... will have to secure the greenhouse this spring. Good luck with that bro.
I have an old 4oz bottle of TFA Turkish. I was thinking about squirting that around the perimeter. No creature will get near that shit.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
One thing my mother and I agree on... homegrown tomatoes are so much better than what you buy at the store. No matter what else she grows, there will be at least 8 tomato plants.
8? Last year I mistaken bought too many~! I had to go to Home Depot and buy pails to put them on the patio~!

1643506365436.png

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
One good thing about a pet Rabbit is they produce a great organic fertilizer ;)
My wife and I had a pet rabbit before

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
We (mother and I) considered starting tomatoes from seed this year (have always bought seedlings already started) but we are having an early spring and maybe too late for that (I suggested starting them under lights but still too late for that) It's still too soon to plant (even though it has been close to 60 deg F) we get fooled every year with that... a week from now it will be heavy frost.
You could still start some from seed if you pick a short harvest time strain, just wont get them as soon or quite as many. I grow all mine from seed but not time here to start them.. The thing I like about starting from seed is that there is so much more selection. But the main thing is that you grow some, homegrown is SO much healthier.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have an old 4oz bottle of TFA Turkish. I was thinking about squirting that around the perimeter. No creature will get near that shit.
Anything to keep em out. I had a raccoon problem one year, tried all kinds of stuff then finally I put a radio out and had it set to static (most people put on music and some animals consider that soothing and safe, even rock and roll).

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The #1 Way to Clean & Wash Your Fruits & Veggies (do this before eating for 15 minutes)

Hey there,

As most of us are stuck in quarantine and self-isolating, we find ourselves cooking more at home than ever before.

In fact, I have literally lost 13lbs just by eating every meal at home with super clean foods like local fruits, veggies and even grass-fed meats like Elk, Buffalo, Beef and Lamb.

And while you don’t really need to “clean your meats” before you cook, it is still absolutely essential to naturally rinse, clean and disinfect your fruits and veggies, especially if you are going to eat them raw like hand-picked strawberries, blueberries, apples and more.

And most definitely if you are making a salad with raw veggies.

That’s why I use this exact Baking Soda and Apple Cider Vinegar solution to clean my produce.

In fact this solution has been so popular in places like Spain, that reports are showing they have been selling over 26,000 boxes of Baking Soda a day as everyone is becoming mindful of cleaning and rinsing their produce and cleaning their houses.

Source: https://en.as.com/en/2020/04/11/other_sports/1586595970_439711.html

And make sure you Never use soap. It was never made for human consumption

Simply Take a 2 Quart Glass Mixing Bowl, fill it with luke-warm water, 1tsp of Baking Soda and ¼ cup of ACV. Place your Fruits and Veggies in there for 15 minutes. Put them in a colander afterwards and rinse off the excess Baking Soda and ACV.

Fresh and clean fruits and veggies to serve!

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Anyone growing a flower garden are very welcome to post and talk about them here, this thread is for all gardeners, there are many edible flowers also, and they are beautiful. Thank you

Last edited:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Starting Veggie Seeds Indoors​

VU Sponsors