Become a Patron!

Have you ever been scammed by a vape shop?

carley816

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So the reason I'm starting this thread is because I just experienced yet another bad salesman. This is my third time experiencing bad service, with all instances happening in different shops.

The first time this had happened I was new to vaping. I went into a store to buy my first RDA, and after discussing my options I was told that there was no way I could run an RDA on a regulated mod. He tried selling me a hundred dollar mech mod, which could have been pretty dangerous for the noob that I was. I luckily was skeptical about what this guy was telling me, left the shop, and you guys confirmed to me that this guy was lying.

The next time something similar happened I fell for it. I went in to another shop to buy my iSub G, and was told that my current mod (the iStick 50w) wasn't capable of sub ohming. This seemed pretty believable and I wasn't about to google it, so I ended up buying a Sigelei 100w off this guy for way more than I should have.

It's been almost a year since that happened, but today is what really got me. I called a shop this afternoon to see if they had the Theorem RTA in stock, and they confirmed they did and told me it would be $45. They run about $30 online, so it seemed like a decent deal coming out of a shop. When I went in this evening to purchase it, the man at the register ran it up for $60. When I tried to explain to him that I was told it would be $45, he told me I must have called the wrong shop earlier as they just received their stock of them today. I decided to pass on it, and right as he was putting it back another salesman came out of the back to ask what was wrong. Before either of us said anything, he asked if I was the one who had called earlier about the Theorem. I told him about the price mix up, and he reassured it was in fact $45. I ended up buying it for $45, but it just goes to show how easily they can mark up to whatever price they want to make a quick buck.

Sorry for my rant, but how many of you have ever been scammed or taken advantage of by shops? I know I'm not the only one!

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I would have passed on the Theorem, if the sales guy was going to sell it for $60, and you were quoted $45, that indicates that the shop values money above all else and are ripoff artists waiting for victims. I've seen a shop advertise clones as authentics, one place closed down due to the fallout from the local vape scene.

kevin littell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
At the closest shop to my house I buy juice as I'm trying to avoid credit card purchases right now....3 out of the last 4 times the price on the juice varies as much as 5 dollars a bottle.

And this aint gourmet juice.

The Dripbox I'd like to buy is marked 60 bucks, they are 29.90 online....

If the next closest shop wasnt another 25 miles in the long direction I wouldnt grace the doorframe with my presence ever again....

Strike up a conversation with the person that helped you and (as I did the last time.) I ended up getting the juice I really like for 1/2 price and he took 25 off the dripbox. (And is gonna hold a dripbox 160 for me when they come in.)
Social engineering has its uses!

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
With one exception, all the vape shops I've been to in PA, VA, MD and DC have been more or less decent. No one has ever tried to sell me something I didn't need or pull a bait and switch. I've seen some pretty healthy markups but thats to be expected. The worst shop I've been to is in Hanover PA. The selection was poor and the staff seemed a bit too stoned for the time of day but they were still helpful. It's the only one I've been to with a used case and I managed to score a Snow Wolf 200w 1.5 for something like $45 with tax. If I could afford to, I would buy everything from my favorite shop just like I do with gun stuff. I buy vape stuff far more frequently than I do gun stuff so most of my gear comes from online shops or forums.

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Wow it's hard to believe with your bad experiences you'd still step foot in a shop. I've never got screwed over at a shop. When i did go to them they usto be very helpful actually but very pushy to get a sale. After I checked prices online and diy juice never went back.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
10ML bottle of juice for $15...clone attys for $45+...foot of wire $1 I skip the B&M unless I NEED it now

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I rarely go to a B&M. Only if I need something quick. I find 90% of them either ill informed or ridiculously over priced.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

Severs

Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I rarely go to a B&M. Only if I need something quick. I find 90% of them either ill informed or ridiculously over priced.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

I'm with you, I get most of my stuff online. We have 2 vape shops around here, one that has juices that are high priced, though the mods and attys seem par for the B&M markup, and another that the staff seems stoned every time I go in.

The second shop did one thing to piss me off though, went in there looking for a new tank for my wife, prior to getting her into letting me rebuild coils for her, and we were shown, recommended, and sold a eLeaf GS Air. My wife liked the tank, had a little more oomph than the last one she used, and she could get away with using the same coil for 3 to 4 weeks versus the week and a half she was getting from the nautilus. Problem was, soon as we needed a replacement coil we went back to get one, non in stock, and they'd been out of stock since they sold us the tank. So back to the nauty it was for my wife, called in weekly to find out if they had any coils for the GS Air, and it took them over 2 months to get any in. By that point I had finally found somewhere online to get the damn things. Seems kind of assholish to me to recommend a product to your customers and then just repeatedly say, "oops we keep forgetting to order the needed parts in for it."

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Coils are huge markup items, you would think they would have know that.

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Can't say I've had one try to scam me, but did have one when I went in to make the switch from cartomizer tank and ego battery to an RDA with mech mod, try to steer me towards a low power istick with clearomizer, saying that old people seem to prefer them. He couldn't have been more than 19 and I'm in my 40s, so I guess that makes me an old person? I went online and ordered my first mech and RDA from @Angel Cigs . :)

That same shop, different trip, different sales person, tried to sell me an efest battery *ugh*

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hmmm... never scammed because I've never purchased.

We have all of two shops locally (that may be down to one) and the one time I set foot in, I couldn't leave fast enough.

Between the dis-interested young lady owner, the hipster couple at the crowded small tasting table (hey, at least she had one), no pricing on merch in the counter displays and the juice board was entirely in illegible neon grease marker... I think I clocked 90 seconds.

No... no way I was in there that long. Call it a minute, tops.

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The shop near my house that I go to once in a while seems on the up and up re: lying to make a sale. They seem fairly honest (if not a little misinformed) about their stuff and advertise their stuff properly. My beef with them is their prices. To say they price gouge is an understatement. Perfect example is the RX200. Even when they were new and hot they were able to be had for under $50, nevermind now where you can get them all day for well under $40. The shop charges $120. One hundred twenty dollars. For the RX200, not the DNA. Its borderline insane. When I was new and bought my first set up I spent $130 on a Kanger Subox kit and efest battery and single bay charger. Every mod in that place is marked up AT LEAST 100%, some as much as 500%. Noisy Crickets are $50, Dripbox for $65, IPV5 for $130, the list goes on. They dont stock authentic RDAs, and their clones START at $20, some as much as $45. Crown tanks are $40 and TFV4s are $50.

About the only thing with a "normal" price in the whole shop is cotton, and some juice (standard $10-$12/15ml and $17-$22/30ml), though the One Hit Wonder stuff is $60.

So even though the guys working there are mostly super nice, the customers are mostly nice, and its a cool place to hang out for an hour or so and just shoot the shit with like minded people, I almost never go because just looking at the prices makes me queasy.

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've had good luck the past four years that I've been vaping. I have used 3 vape shops in the area and though I've experienced sales people who didn't know their products none have ever tried to scam me. One has really good prices. Then again, these vape shops have been around for a while and are also online, not little shops that I didn't know anything about before I tried them.

I still try to support them if they are in the ballpark price-wise when I need something, but that doesn't happen often anymore.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
i have 4 shops locally now

1. is fairly new and Ive never visited
another is actually a town over but was teh only shop we had about 7 years ago when I started.. Very helpful prices are average. but i got about 12 ego batteries there and EVERY ONE OF THEM died in about 3-7 days of use. The owner really tried to help me alot, but I started buying online.
then we have the shop that has 2 locations locally. Prices and selection are ok. But the service is horrible. you can wait 30 mins to buy a coil. So I don't go there

Then there is Maddcatt Vapors. This place is awesome. Every person there is competent. And if you ask one person something they arent sure about...guess what theres usually 3 or so other people there they will ask to find out the right answer for you. Prices are better then other store sin town. Plus I can use their VULIVE coupon for 15% off anything. Their coil prices are about the same as you pay online. Their juice is actually very good. I dont buy alot any more, but when I do spend money on vaping....I at least check there before buying it online. And I will happily spend my money there. So if your in Western Maryland, or even the areas of PA or WV near Cumberland. MaddCatt Vapors is worth a visit. ANd if your not local...ordering their juice online is worth it.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I only buy the on sale juice at my shop it's $10 for a 30ml of premium juice. Its juice that the shop needs to get rid of for shelf space. They always have new juice brands coming in.

sent from my droid turbo 2

Severs

Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
i have 4 shops locally now

1. is fairly new and Ive never visited
another is actually a town over but was teh only shop we had about 7 years ago when I started.. Very helpful prices are average. but i got about 12 ego batteries there and EVERY ONE OF THEM died in about 3-7 days of use. .

Reminds me of the first place I bought from. Not a vape shop, but a tobacco store that sold shitty vape supplies. Bought myself my first ego style there, a battery that was sold as a 1000 mah battery, but infact was a 600mah with a small bit of plastic on the end. Lasted 2 weeks before it broke, the ego threaded peice becoming separated from the rest of it, and the battery I bought for my wife there did the same thing in less time. When I took Them back, I was told by the ladies that worked there they were instructed never to accept them back, so I contacted the owner. I had just recently gotten my first set of batteries from the interwebs delivered so I knew a bit more of the price. After he adamantly informed me there was no circumstance under which he would give me my money back for the batteries, I told him his company was full of shit and I would be contacting the BBB. Mind you this was the only time I shouted or used any foul language

This guy was so awesome, when I did contact the BBB and he responded to them, he claimed that I stormed into his shop, shouting and swearing at his employees, and then called him swearing and degrading him the entire phone call and that I was a, "unsatisfiable," customer. To which I have just laughed as most people in my small town who have ever seen me vape has always asked me about it first, and I of course steer them very clear of that store. Not that it really did tons of business before, but in the last 2 years their customer base has dwindled to damn near nothing, and they certainly haven't been doing much vape business at all with the 2 other real vape shops nearby.

martin

Member For 4 Years
starting out 4 years ago i paid $4.50 for 10ml pg only from a b+m thats why i was put off re-visiting i now get 2.5 litre deliverd for $15

StanleySpadowski

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I got screwed over by a shop once. The result is they lost my business and it got me started into DIY mixing. So in the long run I'm grateful for it happening.

roxynoodle

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
When I was a noob I was sold fake vtc5 batteries by mine.

NickIsANoob

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
My first mod I went to avail vapor and was sold a telescoping mech mod a 4000 mah efest and a aero tank mega. He knew it was My first mod.

I was given no warnings about battery safety, no instructions how to use the mod no instructions for cleaning.

I still have my teeth and hands. Thank god.

Barbara E.

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Ok, as the owner of a vape shop, let's go the other way...

How about customers that come in asking about the differences between two different mods. We show them the mods, explain the differences, let them try them out and they say they'll 'think about it'. They come in a week later with one of the mods (saved $20 by buying it at the local jockey lot) but they're having problems. Turns out they're running a nickel coil in wattage mode (which I'm surprised works at all). We explain temp control to them and show them how to change the settings and they head off. Ten days later they're back. 'XXX products are crap'. Turns out their mod burnt out while charging overnight. I had told them on their second visit to check the packaging but reminded them again. They call me later - yup, it was a clone. They want to know what they should do. They say they'll come in and buy an authentic one but we never see them again.

How about customers walking off with our tester mods (used to taste juices). Another one tried it yesterday but I caught him. Our tester liquids are in Kanger mini subtanks. They disappear too.

How about customers coming in to buy a mod because their old one died. Five days later the old one starts working again so they want to return the new one (which they admit works perfectly). What am I supposed to do with a used mod? To be nice, I offer store credit but they walk out cursing.

We're not 'ridiculously overpriced'. We sell the RX200, three batteries and a 30 ml juice for 89.99. Our pre-steeped liquids (that we sell to several other stores) are $11.99 for 30ml (3 - 30 mls for $33.00). We sell the eleaf pico / melo tank kit for $50.00 (includes 30 ml liquid).

Don't get me wrong - most of our customers are super-nice. I guess I just get a bit tired of what seems to be constant bashing on vape stores. But 'scammers' work both ways.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

How about customers that come in asking about the differences between two different mods. We show them the mods, explain the differences, let them try them out and they say they'll 'think about it'. They come in a week later with one of the mods (saved $20 by buying it at the local jockey lot) but they're having problems. Turns out they're running a nickel coil in wattage mode (which I'm surprised works at all). We explain temp control to them and show them how to change the settings and they head off. Ten days later they're back. 'XXX products are crap'. Turns out their mod burnt out while charging overnight. I had told them on their second visit to check the packaging but reminded them again. They call me later - yup, it was a clone. They want to know what they should do. They say they'll come in and buy an authentic one but we never see them again.

How about customers walking off with our tester mods (used to taste juices). Another one tried it yesterday but I caught him. Our tester liquids are in Kanger mini subtanks. They disappear too.

How about customers coming in to buy a mod because their old one died. Five days later the old one starts working again so they want to return the new one (which they admit works perfectly). What am I supposed to do with a used mod? To be nice, I offer store credit but they walk out cursing.

We're not 'ridiculously overpriced'. We sell the RX200, three batteries and a 30 ml juice for 89.99. Our pre-steeped liquids (that we sell to several other stores) are $11.99 for 30ml (3 - 30 mls for $33.00). We sell the eleaf pico / melo tank kit for $50.00 (includes 30 ml liquid).

Don't get me wrong - most of our customers are super-nice. I guess I just get a bit tired of what seems to be constant bashing on vape stores. But 'scammers' work both ways.

One thing that should be of comfort to you, is you seem like a reasonable shop. Most truly are not. Most shops try to get at least double for a mod, for what we can buy it for online, after their wholesale discounts, mind you.

Your likely not the shop that also buys the cheapest, shit batteries, to give away with a mod for "free". I've seen that all too many times.

As a business owner, I know about overheads. But I also know about prices the market will bear. Anyone on a forum online, knows what stuff sells for. We aren't going to pay double, triple, or more, for something. We see that as a rip off with the buyers being ignorant of pricing. And lots of people who didn't know any better at first, get irate after that. Retail stuff IS a commodity. Although I will give you their is a difference that some don't realize until it's too late (clones).

And yeah, some customers are just assholes. If you got a camera, turn them into the cops. Fuck thieves. Cut their fucking hands off.

KY_Rob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've never been scammed at a shop...I've got a pretty good BS meter, so I won't buy if I'm not comfortable when in person.

I did get screwed out of about $150 by ShanMods 2 years or so ago. I knew going into that one, that service would be shaky, but she built nice boxes and always seemed to eventually deliver. Apparently, her personal problems finally got the best of her, and she just disregarded quite a few people who had paid for a custom mod. I did have several email exchanges with Shan, and I do believe she got in over her head...but there has never been any attempt to right that wrong since. I'm pissed that she just took my money (and many others). I tried to be understanding, and flexible. But at the end of the day, there was no delivery.

Johnny Hotsauce

Member For 4 Years
I think I've hit up most of the vape shops near where I live and run into the same issues, the staff is either uninformed of what they're selling or the shop is a scammer selling at outrageous prices and only care about the one time sale at more profit than the repeat customer.

A lot of the high cost shops near me sell on sex appeal, they hire attractive girls and they wear as little as possible and they sell their house juice for $30/30ML $50/50ML & $70/100ishML, the girls know nothing about the juice or products they're selling and just know how to run a POS system to ring you up. Tanks, RDA's, RTA's and everything sell for more than double what you can get them for online and the vibe just doesn't feel right in the shop. The owners usually don't care to explain what you're buying and just want you in and out and quick as possible.

There is one shop which is my go to place that is a great legit store, their house juice is great and very reasonable, $12/30ML $20/50ML & $30/100ML and they have sales every 2 weeks for either 25% off juice & 10& off hardware or buy 2 get one free. Their hardware is about 10-15% higher than most online shops which to me is very reasonable and I have no problem given them my money for most hardware but if something is just that much cheaper online as compared to their prices then I'll just get it there which isn't that often. I don't mind spending $5-10 more to support my local guy but when it's like $20 less online including shipping then that's a no brainer too and my shop gets that and doesn't feel insulted. Hell, they make all their money on the juice anyway.

The atmosphere there is awesome, they treat all their customers like family and make their customers feel very much welcome and at home. This place is how a vape shop should be. I feel like they have my best interests in mind and they're just good people.

kevin littell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee

I would frequent your shop....How about opening one in the Eastern Metro Atlanta area???

Severs

Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

Sounds to me like you run a good shop. Your prices seem reasonable, you seem knowledgeable about your stock. If my shops around here were like yours I'd probably shop at a B&M more often. But the store around here that keeps things in stock, tends to be overpriced. At the one shop the cheapest ejuice they carry is $13 for a 15ml so that's what we have to deal with in my area.

Now I will admit to semi window shopping at the ones near me. When I was in the neighborhood for a new mod I shopped around. The vape shop had a cuboid for $85, I got mine online for $30. On the other hand I then turned around and bought my wife's 60 watt TC iStick in the B&M shop because it was only a couple $$s more in the shop than online. Would have paid the extra in shipping. But when I can get the same thing online for half the price, and yes I did check for authenticity when it arrived, sorry but I'm going with the cheaper. Take it how you will, but as a consumer I am going to shop around for my vape stuff the same way I do for everything else. If the price online is alot cheaper, I'm buying online. If after comparing prices the savings I get online are equal to or just over what I'd spend on shipping, yeah I'll buy in the store.

Barbara E.

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
If the price online is alot cheaper, I'm buying online. If after comparing prices the savings I get online are equal to or just over what I'd spend on shipping, yeah I'll buy in the store.

I understand that and don't have a problem with it. But I do have problems with people that come in and take advantage of the store to make comparisons between different items, ask for help and/or troubleshooting, take up my time, etc. etc. with no intentions of buying anything. I'm not saying *you* do that but it happens a lot.

Seriously, I could tell stores, ranging from the guy who cursed at me because I wouldn't tell him my recipe for a particular liquid to people trying to return *defective* tanks after five months to people trying to return something to us that they bought at a different store. (They swore up-and-down they'd bought it from us but it was a mod we've never carried.) Then there was the guy who (loudly) accused us of carrying clone Aspire coils because they wouldn't fit his genuine Atlantis tank. Turns out he had a 'genuine Atlantis' tank made by 'Ospire'. (No, that's not a mis-print.) I could go on and on...

In general, if you treat people nicely, they will be nice back. It goes both ways.

And, yes, I realize this is a thread specifically to talk about *bad* experiences so I'll just shut up now. :wave:

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
The Stores around my area do the same thing...at 3 of the Stores a Cuboid goes for $125 and the RX200 goes for $145, Atlantis V1's for $60 and so on....and thats before the state implemented the 92% tax on all vape related gear....One reason I have always bought online and will keep doing so.

Severs

Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I understand that and don't have a problem with it. But I do have problems with people that come in and take advantage of the store to make comparisons between different items, ask for help and/or troubleshooting, take up my time, etc. etc. with no intentions of buying anything. I'm not saying *you* do that but it happens a lot.

Seriously, I could tell stores, ranging from the guy who cursed at me because I wouldn't tell him my recipe for a particular liquid to people trying to return *defective* tanks after five months to people trying to return something to us that they bought at a different store. (They swore up-and-down they'd bought it from us but it was a mod we've never carried.) Then there was the guy who (loudly) accused us of carrying clone Aspire coils because they wouldn't fit his genuine Atlantis tank. Turns out he had a 'genuine Atlantis' tank made by 'Ospire'. (No, that's not a mis-print.) I could go on and on...

In general, if you treat people nicely, they will be nice back. It goes both ways.

And, yes, I realize this is a thread specifically to talk about *bad* experiences so I'll just shut up now. :wave:

Ifn I'm testin, I'm lookin to buy. I got suggestions on mods from friends first, then I went to the vape shops to see them in action. Had I shopped at your shop, I probably would have gone with that RX200 deal you were saying about earlier, it's one of the mods I was looking at. Looks like you have a healthy mark up on that without gouging customers, and that is rare. Round here, that RX200 is $115, no batteries, no bonus juice. If more vape shops were like you, I don't think this thread would exist.

Waltheraustin

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I know head shops have a huge markup or they did in college so I'm guessing that applies to vape shops too. We (I didn't own just worked there) used to mark up 200%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Froggie1rw

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I have 2 shops that I trust and frequent and about 5 that I will never walk in to again that are all within about a 40 mile range. The one shop that I enjoy the most I have actually started working in part time on Saturdays. The 2 that I trust mark up hardware prices just enough to cover purchasing it and the shipping costs to the shop. The shop that I work in doesn't carry much pre-made juice because their house juice is awesome and we are always coming up with new flavors. When someone buys hardware they get free lg batteries and 15ml of juice. The other shop carries all kinds of pre-made juice at about the same price you would find it online.

VU Sponsors