Become a Patron!

Help with building coils and safeties

cward5712

Member For 1 Year
I have a voopoo drag with the gene chip in it. I recently purchased a rda and a kit along with wire and cotton. I have researched ohm law and looked at coil building calculators. I have two 18650 batteries with 20 continuous and 30 pulse amps. they are both 3.7 volts. I'm confused as to since i have two of these in my mod if the voltage doubles or the amps or both or neither. If anyone knows and can help, thank you.

Kranky Kanger

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The voltage doubles in a series battery set up like the Drag. Most regulated mods the batteries are set up in series. i.e. one battery goes in + up the other + down. The wiring connects the + of one battery to the - of the other. This doubles the available voltage, that's all, available amps stay the same.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Regulated mods like your VooPoo Drag allow the user to determine the voltage output by adjusting the wattage setting. The Wattage set, along with the atomizer's resistance, determines the voltage output of the batteries and the current (amps) pulled.

This is an example of how ohms, voltage, amps and wattage interact
Screenshot_20180519-083216.png

This is the tool used
http://www.steam-engine.org/ohm.html

Regulated mods such as yours Almost always have limits that will prevent high-drain batteries (with a continuous discharge rating of 20 amps or more) from being over-discharged. Limits such as 157 watts, 7.5 volts, and 0.05 ohm minimum resistance like yours has, work together to protect good batteries.

cward5712

Member For 1 Year
Regulated mods like your VooPoo Drag allow the user to determine the voltage output by adjusting the wattage setting. The Wattage set, along with the atomizer's resistance, determines the voltage output of the batteries and the current (amps) pulled.

This is an example of how ohms, voltage, amps and wattage interact
View attachment 111483

This is the tool used
http://www.steam-engine.org/ohm.html

Regulated mods such as yours Almost always have limits that will prevent high-drain batteries (with a continuous discharge rating of 20 amps or more) from being over-discharged. Limits such as 157 watts, 7.5 volts, and 0.05 ohm minimum resistance like yours has, work together to protect good batteries.
if i wanted to keep my drag at 60 watts would this be how much resistance i would need to make my coil?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-05-19 at 9.42.40 AM.png
    Screenshot 2018-05-19 at 9.42.40 AM.png
    52.2 KB · Views: 4

cward5712

Member For 1 Year
The voltage doubles in a series battery set up like the Drag. Most regulated mods the batteries are set up in series. i.e. one battery goes in + up the other + down. The wiring connects the + of one battery to the - of the other. This doubles the available voltage, that's all, available amps stay the same.
thank you so it would be safe for max volts to be 7.4 since thats the max voltage

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
if i wanted to keep my drag at 60 watts would this be how much resistance i would need to make my coil?

Your coil can be anything under 0.9 ohms to reach 60 watts without hitting the 7.5 volt limit

In a regulated mod, YOU set the wattage by hitting the buttons, the resistance of the coil does not determine the wattage, You do

It's only mechanical or unregulated mods where the resistance determines the wattage, Not Regulated Mods like yours

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
A typical build that works well at 60 watts would be in the 0.1 ohm to 0.4 ohm range.

But really with your mod, you can change the wattage to whatever you like, to whatever works best for your coils, without worrying about the resistance as long as it is above 0.05 and below 1 ohm

cward5712

Member For 1 Year
Your coil can be anything under 0.9 ohms to reach 60 watts without hitting the 7.5 volt limit

In a regulated mod, YOU set the wattage by hitting the buttons, the resistance of the coil does not determine the wattage, You do

It's only mechanical or unregulated mods where the resistance determines the wattage, Not Regulated Mods like yours
oh i get what you are saying, it doesn't really matter what resistance it is as long as it doesn't exceed my voltage and amps required. which would be .9 and under.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
oh i get what you are saying, it doesn't really matter what resistance it is as long as it doesn't exceed my voltage and amps required. which would be .9 and under.

Yep! It's a lot easier than you might think, with mods like that (regulated variable wattage mods)

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VooPoo DRAG Product Features:
5 to 157W Output
  • Gene Chip
  • 0.05 to 3.0 ohm Atomizer Resistance Range
  • 0 to 7.5V Voltage Range
  • 40A Max Current Ouput
  • 95% Working Efficiency
  • Smart VW

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
this is what im thinking on running, but the heat capacity is in the red, is that bad?

Red isn't bad for a sub-ohm build, but I try to stay under 100. You're looking at huge coils there, try 5/6 wraps instead of 7/8

Are you planning on a single coil? 7/8 might be okay for one single coil

cward5712

Member For 1 Year
Red isn't bad for a sub-ohm build, but I try to stay under 100. You're looking at huge coils there, try 5/6 wraps instead of 7/8

Are you planning on a single coil? 7/8 might be okay for one single coil
i dont understand what half wraps are like i said i just ordered a rda and it hasnt even arrived yet, i was planning on the full wraps because i have some buddies and they do like 6 so i figured 8 full wraps wouldnt be too bad

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
i dont understand what half wraps are like i said i just ordered a rda and it hasnt even arrived yet, i was planning on the full wraps because i have some buddies and they do like 6 so i figured 8 full wraps wouldnt be too bad

Alright, what RDA is it?

Legs are the straight parts of the wire that go into the post holes (what holds the coil in place)

Whole wraps, legs opposite directions

IMG_20180514_184758_crop_527x462.jpg

Add a "half wrap" to get both legs same direction

IMG_20180514_184803_crop_604x605.jpg

Last edited:

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
its the recoil performance by grimm green and ohm boy, which is kinda older one i guess came out 2016, so would this be a better setup or should i go lower?

I would try that build, but you're going to need two of them for that RDA - it's a dual coil RDA

You just cut the resistance in half when you have two identical coils, so your final resistance would be around 0.2 - you don't have to mess with Steam Engine to figure that out though

And yeah it'll look like 7 wraps on one side, 6 on the other

cward5712

Member For 1 Year
I would try that build, but you're going to need two of them for that RDA - it's a dual coil RDA

You just cut the resistance in half when you have two identical coils, so your final resistance would be around 0.2 - you don't have to mess with Steam Engine to figure that out though

can't i just do a single coil build on a dual coil rda even though it can have two or no

cward5712

Member For 1 Year

because if i have .2 ohms, the ohm calculator says the amps will be like 37 and my batteries can only do 30 pulsing

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I have two 18650 batteries with 20 continuous and 30 pulse amps.
20/cont - 30pulse could be false. Depends on where you got the info and what batteries they are. For that reason and safety's sake , it's always better to state the battery brand - and model..
[ie Sony VCT5A / Samsung 30Q] ..as this says more about the battery than what's on it's wrapper or simply stating a spec.

cward5712

Member For 1 Year
20/cont - 30pulse could be false. Depends on where you got the info and what batteries they are. For that reason and safety's sake , it's always better to state the battery brand - and model..
[ie Sony VCT5A / Samsung 30Q] ..as this says more about the battery than what's on it's wrapper or simply stating a spec.
i called the store where i bought them its 20 continous and 30 pulsing, i cant do a dual coil build with .4 ohms because .2 is too many amps so ill have to do a single coil .4 to work past that.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
i called the store where i bought them its 20 continous and 30 pulsing, i cant do a dual coil build with .4 ohms because .2 is too many amps so ill have to do a single coil .4 to work past that.
Stores are notorious for being wrong on a number of things.

cward5712

Member For 1 Year
Stores are notorious for being wrong on a number of things.
well even if they are wrong someone posted the stats of my mod and the max amp for my mod is 40 so even if i had higher amp batteries my mod can only hold 40 and 37 would be way to close for comfort so im gonna stick with a single .4 ohm coil

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
can't i just do a single coil build on a dual coil rda even though it can have two or no

You can, if your RDA has that airflow option.

Listen carefully.

You Choose the Wattage with your Mod's Buttons.

You could use 0.2 ohm coils all the way up to the max 157 watts your mod allows.

This would be 28 amps total which is going to be Split In Half between your Two Batteries, so 14 amps per battery

cward5712

Member For 1 Year
You can, if your RDA has that airflow option.

Listen carefully.

You Choose the Wattage with your Mod's Buttons.

You could use 0.2 ohm coils all the way up to the max 157 watts your mod allows.

This would be 28 amps total which is going to be Split In Half between your Two Batteries, so 14 amps per battery
oh so my batteries will split the load i didnt know that, last question and im good to go, just for general knowledge in the future if i ever go over the wattage the ohms law says will it taste burnt or is that just a number for mech mods.

cward5712

Member For 1 Year
Some folks simply need to return to smoking.
you just need to go fuck off, im simply getting information on how to build my rda so i can do it safely. ive gotten the information i needed and im thankful for the help i got. its easier asking in a forum rather than looking it up and not understanding.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
oh so my batteries will split the load i didnt know that, last question and im good to go, just for general knowledge in the future if i ever go over the wattage the ohms law says will it taste burnt or is that just a number for mech mods.

Wattage has to be changed around until you find a good spot. Start low and raise it until it makes the amount of vapor you like. If it tastes dry or burnt, turn the wattage down.

Some folks simply need to return to smoking.

Don't be a dick, at least he's asking.

cward5712

Member For 1 Year
Wattage has to be changed around until you find a good spot. Start low and raise it until it makes the amount of vapor you like. If it tastes dry or burnt, turn the wattage down.

Don't be a dick, at least he's asking.
thank you i have all the information i need, you have been a huge help. i wish there was a way i could repay you.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
not necessarily. When Batteries are in parallel they share the Volts but combine the amps, in series they share the amps but combine the Volts, example -

2x 20a batteries in parallel are 4.2V and 40a
2x 20a batteries in series are 8.4V and 20a

cward5712

Member For 1 Year
not necessarily. When Batteries are in parallel they share the Volts but combine the amps, in series they share the amps but combine the Volts, example -
my taking of what he said is that if my coils are gonna run 37 amps that it will be split and each battery will take 14 amps and is safe for me to do.

cward5712

Member For 1 Year

and my mod is a series battery setup

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
you do not use ohms law when calculating amp draw on a voopoo drag. You use what is referred to as Watt's law
watt setting/low voltage cutoff/mod efficiency

basically a good 20amp battery can go up to about 60 watts per battery and not exceed 20 amp. 25CDR can go to about 75 watts per battery and 30 amp batteries can go to about 85 watts per battery

ohms law is only for building on mech mods, pwm, and VV mods.

Most regulated mods are series so add volts and amps stay the same
if it is a regulated parallel mod it will say it some where, since this is very uncommon

you can build as low as the chipset will allow
on low builds and at higher watt setting some chips will automatically cut power

You need to research your batteries. Search for mooch on youtube watch his videos.

according to mooch's testing(excluding rewraps and things not commonly available as of today)
for 18650 batteries
the best most efficient batteries are sony vtc5a
the longest lasting 20 amp batteries are vtc6
I believe LG HB6 are the best 30 amp- not positive

other good 20 amp batteries
lg hg2
samsung 25r
samsung 30q
lg he4

cward5712

Member For 1 Year
you do not use ohms law when calculating amp draw on a voopoo drag. You use what is referred to as Watt's law

basically a good 20amp battery can go up to about 60 watts per battery and not exceed 20 amp. 25CDR can go to about 75 watts per battery and 30 amp batteries can go to about 85 watts per battery

if it is a regulated parallel mod it will say it some where, since this is very uncommon

on low builds and at higher watt setting some chips will automatically cut power

You need to research your batteries. Search for mooch on youtube watch his videos.

according to mooch's testing(excluding rewraps and things not commonly available as of today)
for 18650 batteries

lg hg2
samsung 25r
samsung 30q
lg he4
i was just using ohms law to get a understanding of what amps i cant exceed. thats about it. i figured out how many amps .2 ohms will use and if its safe and will work.

cward5712

Member For 1 Year

for 18650 batteries

lg hg2
samsung 25r
samsung 30q
lg he4

can you just tell me what the best ohms i would need to stay at my preferred wattage of 60. my batteries are 20 continous and 30 pulsing and my two batteries have a combined voltage of 7.4. Can i use .2 ohms and be satisfied with the result of being at 60 watts or do i need to go higher.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
i was just using ohms law to get a understanding of what amps i cant exceed. thats about it. i figured out how many amps .2 ohms will use and if its safe and will work.
That is not correct
sorry but one of us is not understanding the other

OHMS LAW has NO BEARING on the amp draw of the batteries in your mod regardless of the resistance of the coil. a.01 ohm coil and a 1,8 ohm coil on a voopoo drag will have the exact same effect on the amp draw of your batteries. which is NONE.

the only thing you have any control over on a regulated mod that effects amp draw on the batteries is the watt setting.

The coil does not effect the batteries

in regulated mods you have a chipset that draws the power from the battery. It then supplies the the coil from the chip not the battery

If the mod will allow a coil to fire the based on the specifications provided by the manufacturer of the chip ( which includes what amp battery you should be using) Then it is considered safe by the manufacturer based on how they designed and programmed the chipset. That does not mean there couldn't be an issue, safety features failing, chipset failing, auto firing etc

Everything on a regulated mod like the voopoo drag is about the batteries you use and the watt setting. If you set the watt setting to 160 and use 10 amp CDR batteries and any coil you are asking for trouble. The chip does not know what battery you use so it can't adjust for that. You have to be sure to use batteries with a CDR that is sufficient for your watt setting.

cward5712

Member For 1 Year
That is not correct
sorry but one of us is not understanding the other

OHMS LAW has NO BEARING on the amp draw of the batteries in your mod regardless of the resistance of the coil. a.01 ohm coil and a 1,8 ohm coil on a voopoo drag will have the exact same effect on the amp draw of your batteries. which is NONE.

the only thing you have any control over on a regulated mod that effects amp draw on the batteries is the watt setting.

The coil does not effect the batteries

in regulated mods you have a chipset that draws the power from the battery. It then supplies the the coil from the chip not the battery

If the mod will allow a coil to fire the based on the specifications provided by the manufacturer of the chip ( which includes what amp battery you should be using) Then it is considered safe by the manufacturer based on how they designed and programmed the chipset. That does not mean there couldn't be an issue, safety features failing, chipset failing, auto firing etc

Everything on a regulated mod like the voopoo drag is about the batteries you use and the watt setting. If you set the watt setting to 160 and use 10 amp CDR batteries and any coil you are asking for trouble. The chip does not know what battery you use so it can't adjust for that. You have to be sure to use batteries with a CDR that is sufficient for your watt setting.
so you are saying that it doesnt matter what resistance im building. is there a way to say figure out what the best ohms is for 60 watts since i cant use ohm calculator.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
can you just tell me what the best ohms i would need to stay at my preferred wattage of 60. my batteries are 20 continous and 30 pulsing and my two batteries have a combined voltage of 7.4. Can i use .2 ohms and be satisfied with the result of being at 60 watts or do i need to go higher.

Now see that is a personal preference and depends on several factors.

I vape at what translates to 40-60 watts on a .8 ohm single coil SS fused clapton or 2 regular ss clapton coils that combine to be .8 ohms. It works fine for me. Other people may push that same coil setup to higher watts like 80-100 and like it better. Some may lower the watts to 20-30 and be very happy
Notice I say 40-60 watts, why? depends on the atty and its airflow, SOme work better with more power some with less.

YOu have 2 issues
1. you are worried about what is safe. GREAT. learn about batteries - seriously spend an hour or so watching Mooch's youtube videos, you will learn a mega shit ton in no time. Get good batteries. don't exceed the wattage setting for the CDR of your batteries. AND YOU ARE DONE WITH SAFETY on a regulated mod, provided it is in 100% working condition

2. YOu are looking for you perfect vape. Sorry, no magical one size fits all answer there. You have to experiment around alot to find that. Trying different type coils, attys airflow settings, wattage settings resistances etc

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
so you are saying that it doesnt matter what resistance im building. is there a way to say figure out what the best ohms is for 60 watts since i cant use ohm calculator.

0.05 to 3.0 ohm Atomizer Resistance Range

If you looked at what the features of your MOD are that I posted or maybe RTFM?

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

There's really not any better way than to build something and gain experience. With that build mentioned above, 0.2 ohm dual coils kanthal 22 g, 60 watts will be on the low end of okay

Resistance can vary Widely depending on wire type (kanthal, Nichrome, stainless steel), gauge, and how much metal is in the coil altogether - it's not easy to just say "use this resistance" because two coils can look completely different and have the same resistance

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years

for 18650 batteries

lg hg2
samsung 25r
samsung 30q
lg he4
DING DING DING DING DING

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I always go with what Mooch says a batteries rating is for vaping. Esp when trying to inform someone that doesn't know what a good battery is for their application. I don't want them misinformed by not knowing it's true ratings or believing in wrapped info that could be wrong. Too many battieries are mislabeled. Telling someone that may not know the difference between a good battery or not, to go with the batteries CDR, even if it is what someone believes to be the manufacturer, is like telling them to believe the labeling.

Last edited:

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Now if you want s to help you figure out what to try...
tell us what you like
hot or cool feeling vape
thicker or thinner clouds
etc
Then MAYBE we can offer some guidance

cward5712

Member For 1 Year
There's really not any better way than to build something and gain experience. With that build mentioned above, 0.2 ohm dual coils kanthal 22 g, 60 watts will be on the low end of okay

Resistance can vary Widely depending on wire type (kanthal, Nichrome, stainless steel), gauge, and how much metal is in the coil altogether - it's not easy to just say "use this resistance" because two coils can look completely different and have the same resistance
well i think i’m just gonna at building two coils .4 each for a overall .2 and if i’m happy use all the wire i bought, i can’t go really high because i bought thin wire and it will take so many wraps to get say a .4 dual coil build because the amount of times i would have to wrap to get .8 coils is ridiculous with 22 gauge wire i purchased.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
well i think i’m just gonna at building two coils .4 each for a overall .2 and if i’m happy use all the wire i bought, i can’t go really high because i bought thin wire and it will take so many wraps to get say a .4 dual coil build because the amount of times i would have to wrap to get .8 coils is ridiculous with 22 gauge wire i purchased.

Good luck. If you want to repay me, just click Like on my posts, I'm shallow haha

VU Sponsors