Become a Patron!

Help with Goon 1.5 ( With original goon cap) build

Komrade

Member For 1 Year
Hello all,so back when it came out I bought the goon 1.5 which was extremely dissapointing even tho I am a huge fan of the original goon 24mm so I ended up putting him in my drawer and pretty much never used him again,couple of days ago I found some of the original goon caps online and since they fit the 1.5 as well I decided to give it a try since the only major difference between the original and the 1.5 is the airflow.I have tried several builds and wicking methods but I can't seem to be able to get the flavour I should be able to get with what is practiclly the original 24 mm goon,don't get me wrong,it vapes good and taste is 6/10 but I thought I would be able to get better performance from what is regarded as one of the best rdas out there.Anyone have any advise on the issue? Pics : https://imgur.com/IjYOEOI

https://imgur.com/c3EL5MU

https://imgur.com/mk3jDvX Currently running some ni80 framed staples and kendo gold cotton

Don29palms

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
1. Install the coils.
2. Bring the coils out as close to the airflow as you can without hitting the barrel.
3. Dry burn the coils at a lower wattage. Make sure the coils are firing evenly from the middle out.
4. Set the height of the coils so the airflow is hitting the coils on the lower side almost the bottom of the coil around 5 o'clock.
5. Wick the coils. The wicking should have some resistance when pulling through the coil but not enough to move the coils.
6. Trim the coil so the tails just touch the deck.
7. Drip juice on the coils and lightly pulse. Repeat that until you can see the wick getting saturated.
8. Saturate the rest of the wick.
9. Fire the coils and check the vapor production.
10. Install the top cap.
11. Vape on it.
IN MY OPINION, you can get good flavor from any RDA if it's setup correctly with good coils and proper wicking. Also I would say the Goon is a good RDA but far from one of the best on the market today for a flavor RDA.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Man I love the goon 1.5. With some big coils and high wattage it's hard to beat for me. If you're vaping smaller coils at low Watts, I don't think you'll get the flavor you want out of it. Maybe if you dial down the airflow but I've never tried.

There's just too much space in that deck for low wattage vaping. Flavor generally requires a smaller deck/chamber.

I vape it at 80w with 0.12 aliens.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
well I am currently running a dual framed staple at 0.11 ohm about 90 watts
Idk then man. Like Don said, it's more of a cloud chasing rda than a flavor rda but some of my juice gives too much flavor if I vape it that high.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
In looking at the pics provided those coils need to come out from the posts a great deal. Like about another 1-1.5mm it looks like. Hitting them directly on the side like that is whats wrecking the flavor. The air is hitting the side and drawing up over the top with no real contact, you want it hitting the bottom side so the air wraps all around around the coil on its updraft.

Dons recommendation was spot on for this RDA.

VU Sponsors