Become a Patron!

I don't know what i'm doing!

Henli503

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey guys, as the title states, i don't know what i'm doing! I'm new to vaping and i feel like i've already made all the mistakes i can without thinking ahead. Firstly, i had My Friend help me set it up but even thought he did prime the Cotton i'm pretty sure we both Took a couple of dry hits and apparently that's not Good and that kind of freaks me out. I traded smoking for vaping and i realy don't need My lungs to take any more punishement! I also realized My vape is leaking slightly and ofcourse i didn't know the nicotine fluid was dangerous and i didn't Wash it of....finaly i heard My vape crackling and poping and i just Lost it! I wan't My vaping to be safe and apparently i don't know how to...can someone please tell me all i need to know?! I bought the kangertech topbox mini platinum kit from kangertechs website and got a 3.7 V 3000 mah battery from an other site. I am using the pre-mounted coil and i don't know but i think it Said something like 50w om it that makes any sence? The display days 0.23 ohms and i've been trying with wats from 20-25 in the settings....i'm really worried that i've done things incorrectly and hurt My lungs even more in the process...can someone please guide me? Thanks //Henrik

CactusFanaticus

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Welcome
Some cracking/popping is normal, you may even come to enjoy it, just start at a low wattage and increase until the vape is what you want (within the limits of the coil).

Dry hits taste terrible and burn, but are not harmful to you. If the vape tastes fine now and not burnt then the coil is ok, just needed some time to soak up juice. The liquid isn't harmful to get on your skin, I've gotten nic concentrate on my skin with no ill effects.

A lot of tanks will have some liquid come from the air holes from condensation, no problem. If it's pouring out and leaking from the O rings may need to make sure everything is tight/put together correctly.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you like the vape and the mid is functioning you probably didnt do anything wrong....
What is brand and CDR of battery...

If you fired the mod before the wick was saturated with juice you may have burned the wick..... if you fired a new fully primed coil at high wattage. .... you might have burned the wick on a hot spot. if yiu burned the wuck the coil is trash. if wick can be replaced the coil can be reused.

Crackling and popping is normal.... ever fried something in oil or boiled water... Popping and sizzling is controled by adjusting the heat.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Henli503

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If you like the vape and the mid is functioning you probably didnt do anything wrong....
What is brand and CDR of battery...

If you fired the mod before the wick was saturated with juice you may have burned the wick..... if you fired a new fully primed coil at high wattage. .... you might have burned the wick on a hot spot. if yiu burned the wuck the coil is trash. if wick can be replaced the coil can be reused.

Crackling and popping is normal.... ever fried something in oil or boiled water... Popping and sizzling is controled by adjusting the heat.

Battery:
Efest IMR 18650 High Drain 3000mAh, 35A

So i can continue to hav it at 20-25 w? I Read somewhere that IF the Wat is too low the juice can build Up and Splash out in to your mouth..

Henli503

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Welcome
Some cracking/popping is normal, you may even come to enjoy it, just start at a low wattage and increase until the vape is what you want (within the limits of the coil).

Dry hits taste terrible and burn, but are not harmful to you. If the vape tastes fine now and not burnt then the coil is ok, just needed some time to soak up juice. The liquid isn't harmful to get on your skin, I've gotten nic concentrate on my skin with no ill effects.

A lot of tanks will have some liquid come from the air holes from condensation, no problem. If it's pouring out and leaking from the O rings may need to make sure everything is tight/put together correctly.

Thanks for the reply, it really calmed me down. So i can't have a too low Wat/ohm?

Now the vapour tastes fine so i Guess the coil isn't Broken.

It's not leaking so i can see it. It gets sticky and smelly if i have it in a pocket or a bag

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Dry hits taste terrible and burn, but are not harmful to you. If the vape tastes fine now and not burnt then the coil is ok, just needed some time to soak up juice.

You're not wholly incorrect nor fully correct. Let me explain, rayon used for wick can produce noxious and possibly highly toxic fumes. That is subjective of course to the toxicology rule, "it's the dose what does the toxic." The OP is using cotton though so there ought not be any concern. I'm merely offering them a little more food to think and digest. You do not need to use rayon for wick. Rayon has pros and cons, the added risk with dry hits on it is a con. I'm switching out to organic cotton or Ready X, either one safer & saner for wick.

Battery:

Here, let me help you select better batteries next time. These are ones I'll be ordering a bunch of soon. They are good quality betteries from a trusted vendor. Efest batteries likely might be poorer quality than advertised and that carries extra risk. Sony, Sanyo, Panasonic, LG are all good brand name batteries to get as they are companies what strive to do excellent business, which translates to higher quality products. :) Also, while we're talking batteries ... you might want to look up "Mooch's Blog" he has posts there detailing battery tests and who is reliable and not.

So i can't have a too low Wat/ohm?

Check the literature which came with your mod. It ought to give you suggested low number for ohms. If you go below that, the mod will not fire. That is if you are using a regulated or computer chipped mod. I use mods that are unregulated. This means I can build my own coils & have to know reasonably safe ohms levels to build them in. I see you're using regulated mods. You'll be fine without much concern over watts. As others here say, start low and work up. :) Most regulated mods don't let you go below 0.20 for the coil/s. This is a safety feature, well, for some. :)

Others will be along to aid you further shortly. :) I need to scoot out a bit, firewood to rick, laundry to do. :)

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
Trust me I was just like you once. Hearing a pop or cracking noise, having even hot juice in your mouth and 120ml bottles run all over your hands, because they weren't close, can an will be scary but absolute harmless in most cases.

I am not familiar with your setup, but coils normally state the watt they can be used at, and best result wattage. But that doesn't mean you can't go lower or higher. I would be careful with higher so, since that can turn into an issue on its on, when used way above recommended. You have to find a temperature you like and enjoy, paired with a great mod/tank/coil and juice.

So with that out of the way, there's mostly just 3 reasons a tank leaks, unless you dropped it and it broke or you tried, to perform weird non vape related procedures lol.

One could be, that your tank isn't fully closed or the ohm rings are broke/not correct in place/or fully forgotten.
Second could be a burned coil, then but not always, it can result into leakage.
Third, over flooding your coil, and that's mostly the main issue ppl will run into. This can be caused by either vaping at extreme low watt with a higher VG juice, since your coil can't vaporize or heat it quick enough, causing a drowning effect, that then ends in the juice leaking out of the tanks airflow. Another reason can be thinner juices, depending on the ohms of the coil and watt of the mod, but mostly at mid range or higher watt range, can cause leaks too. But again its not for everybody like that, so keep that in mind.

If you're vaping at 20-25w with a coil thats recommended at 50 and actually getting any vape out of it, I for sure wouldn't with my smok bb and a 0.4 ohm, then be happy and enjoy it as long as its satisfying for you. Nothing wrong with that. Don't let brands tell you that you should be vaping at their set wattage.

I hope with that you can ease your mind a bit, and it will get less scary for you down the road. A bit caution is better than being reckless and careless, but don't let it overwhelm you.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey guys, as the title states, i don't know what i'm doing! I'm new to vaping and i feel like i've already made all the mistakes i can without thinking ahead. Firstly, i had My Friend help me set it up but even thought he did prime the Cotton i'm pretty sure we both Took a couple of dry hits and apparently that's not Good and that kind of freaks me out. I traded smoking for vaping and i realy don't need My lungs to take any more punishement! I also realized My vape is leaking slightly and ofcourse i didn't know the nicotine fluid was dangerous and i didn't Wash it of....finaly i heard My vape crackling and poping and i just Lost it! I wan't My vaping to be safe and apparently i don't know how to...can someone please tell me all i need to know?! I bought the kangertech topbox mini platinum kit from kangertechs website and got a 3.7 V 3000 mah battery from an other site. I am using the pre-mounted coil and i don't know but i think it Said something like 50w om it that makes any sence? The display days 0.23 ohms and i've been trying with wats from 20-25 in the settings....i'm really worried that i've done things incorrectly and hurt My lungs even more in the process...can someone please guide me? Thanks //Henrik
Damn! let me guess you have anxiety issues.....I know the signs...relax you haven't even begun to make many mistakes, why most of us here after years of vaping make new ones daily..no biggie. It's good,hell ..it's is neccessary to be educated to the possible dangers involved in vaping,but honestly there aren't many of them and from what I've seen most people get into trouble not out of a lack of knowledge but out of laziness,arrogance, and immaturity.you are doing just fine and there's lots of help available here.

Henli503

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Damn! let me guess you have anxiety issues.....I know the signs...relax you haven't even begun to make many mistakes, why most of us here after years of vaping make new ones daily..no biggie. It's good,hell ..it's is neccessary to be educated to the possible dangers involved in vaping,but honestly there aren't many of them and from what I've seen most people get into trouble not out of a lack of knowledge but out of laziness,arrogance, and immaturity.you are doing just fine and there's lots of help available here.
You guessed it right. Still...i just realized i've been taking Lung hits with a ni200 coil om Wat mode...so if that doesn't trigger My anxiety i don't know what will

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Hi and Welcome @Henli503
Did you read the instructions? https://www.slimvapepen.com/kangertech-topbox-nano-instruction-guide/
Also You Tube has many tutorials on this mod and tank and coils- sometimes easier to watch someone walk thru it!
The Ni coil should be used with the Ni setting in TC mode only! You are going be OK- just stop using a nickel coil in watt or power mode.
I would take out that coil and install the spare- Kanthal coil which is vaped in wattage -power mode! Buy more SSOCC coils in Kanthal- 5 packs! I use the SSOCC Kanthal coils in the .5Ω in my Kanger Nebox on wattage or power mode not Temp Control or Ni!
Prime that new coil and let it soak in the tank for at least 15 minutes, then start the watts slowly- few inhales without pushing the button to get juice flowing to the coil- start out at 10w and work your way up till you see vapor and doesn't taste burnt- if it starts tasting burnt or hot, dial it back down till you like the flavor.
Don't over fill that tank! Liquid getting down that center tube can leak and spit! Blow down through the center tube with paper towel on the air flow to clear out any liquid. Make sure that coil is seated -hand tight-
Crackling is normal and you will get used to hearing that!
If you have a Vape Shop close by they will also help! Maybe the eliquid is not good? What are you using? VG/PG and Nic level? Don't worry about some eliquid on your skin- just wash it off.I have had whole tanks spill out on my hands and I have been vaping for almost 3 years and still OK!
Relax

As for the Battery- Look into Samsung 25R https://www.imrbatteries.com/samsung-25r-18650-rechargeable-battery/
LG HG2 Brown
LG HE4
Efest are rewrapped batteries- but I would look into the ones I listed above and IMR, No Amazon or EBay for batteries! Buy a battery case to keep your spares safe! Do not throw a loose battery in your pocket,purse,bookbag- make sure it is in a case!

http://vaping360.com/top-5-18650-batteries-for-vaping/

Last edited:

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Battery:

So i can continue to hav it at 20-25 w? I Read somewhere that IF the Wat is too low the juice can build Up and Splash out in to your mouth..
Yeah you ok at 20 to 25 watts... NOTE that battery is only good for about 20 amps of draw....as per testing.... not the 35amps the label says.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Second could be a burned coil, then but not always, it can result into leakage.
Third, over flooding your coil, and that's mostly the main issue ppl will run into. This can be caused by either vaping at extreme low watt with a higher VG juice, since your coil can't vaporize or heat it quick enough, causing a drowning effect, that then ends in the juice leaking out of the tanks airflow.

This happens to me at times with squonking. It's kind of a pain in the somewhere to burn baby, burn. All that vapor wisping away. :( Got to be smarter than the average bear, eh, Boo Boo? :)

VU Sponsors