Become a Patron!

I have a bad feeling about this... Battery Drought Coming?

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Battery Technology is only getting better everyday so this is just to protect the manufacturers and placate the FDA. There are batteries made that outperform what we use for vaping just nobody trusts them or they just aren't advertised. I trust Mooches opinions without question~!

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, It is kinda scary to me as well. Like he said, if it says not for vaping right on it, how are shops and retailers going to be able to sell it? I guess on a possitive note, I can see a bunch of loop holes right off the bat. I know our shops went through something with the Nic warning not being big enough. Now they stick a huge sticker on each bottle, and have a trash can buy the door for you to quickly dispose of it :rolleyes:
I likd to think something pretty easy will get us around it. Like he said as well, lets hope Molicel continues to embrace vaping use.

susieqz

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
well,if batteries get hard to find, you're gonna have to stop thinking i'm silly to
extend battery life.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
well,if batteries get hard to find, you're gonna have to stop thinking i'm silly to
extend battery life.
:):gaah::)
I don't think you're silly for trying to extend battery life. (lifespan)

I think you're driving yourself nuts after 10 people have told you have the perfect batteries for your way of vaping and that you aren't going to dramatically extend their lifespan beyond simply using and charging them with decent care. You might shorten their lifespan by NOT using and charging them with decent care.

You're looking for a magic method of being set for life with batteries. You're not going to get that. Nobody is. We're always going to need new ones. That IS the reality of the situation.

I just hate to see you with your stomach all tied in knots over something you have no real control over instead of enjoying your vape.
Yellow-Friends-Floral-bouquet.jpg

susieqz

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
oh, pooh!
i just think charging at .75 n only charging only to 4.15
is the proper way to treat batteries.
i bet i get 5-6 years out of them.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I have a couple sets of batteries from 2015.
They went from a shitty nitecore charger to a shitty efest charger and still work fine.

Actually 95% of the time when a battery stops working on me it has ZERO to do with lifespan.

There is some kind of internal fuse or thin spot somewhere under the positive terminal and the positive terminal becomes disconnected from what ever that is under there.

The battery just no longer does anything.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
"if it says not for vaping right on it, how are shops and retailers going to be able to sell it?"
The same way any shop sells anything, there are no laws that state a product can only be sold to a consumer that guarantees under penalty of law they will only use it for it's marketed purpose. People who fall for that waste a lot of money and manufacturers love taking advantage of them by having different sale prices for the items based on how much you need it in the marketed field.

Worst thing that can happen is that the battery manufacturers look up a buyers company to see what the business is, and that's easy to get around. Just register a separate business to purchase the batteries under the guise of making custom battery packs for portable electronics.

hellcatrydr

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Actually 95% of the time when a battery stops working on me it has ZERO to do with lifespan.

There is some kind of internal fuse or thin spot somewhere under the positive terminal and the positive terminal becomes disconnected from what ever that is under there.

Have you tried drilling a hole through the positive terminal? :bingo:
I'll bet that would work... :)

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
They went from a shitty nitecore charger to a shitty efest charger and still work fine.

I also have batteries from 2015 still in use. I don't baby them. Fully charge all the time. Thinking about it, I have never disposed of a battery due to end of lifespan. All that I have quit using were due to some fault of mine. Even in those cases, they still worked, I just didn't trust them anymore. I use to put a sticker on them for when they went into use, but through re-wrapping that got all mixed up. I have 56 in use, and I can't see quitting using them all just because some are 5 years old and still working fine.

susieqz

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
if you guys get 6 years from batteries, i'm real curious how long i can get mine to last.
it's not just slow charging to less than full capacity.
i have lots of batteries.
they only get charged once/week.

plus, lots of batteries means i don't notice
the extra time it takes to charge.
i just have no need to charge at 2.0.

i have made a game of trying to get batteries to last forever.
it's fun.

i'll only buy batteries if mooch finds something better than 30qs.
i was gonna try 10 amps, but everyone says they won't work.

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
if you guys get 6 years from batteries, i'm real curious how long i can get mine to last.

it's fun.

I really haven't done anything to make mine last, they just have. I don't 2.0 charge either. I use the Gryfalcon All 88, and only does 1.0. Fine by me. Due to the number I have, mine only charge once maybe twice a week as well. I almost never pull them before 4.2 charge, unless I happen to be sitting right there when they get to 4.15 or so. I am bad about leaving them on the charger after they are fully charged. Bad habbit to be in, but I do.
Many of mine are 30Q's. I basically keep three classes= Married sets, Samsung 20S for mech's and low builds, and everything else. In there is 30Qs, VTC6's, VTC5A's, LGHG2's. I couldn't tell you which is which, cuz I re-wrapped them all, but all perform fine. I also keep 25R's seperate, only because of the 2500 mah.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Batteries from vape vendors will be very problematic. But then come May so will vape vendors.
Hopefully we will still be able to get batteries form battery suppliers that do not sell vape stuff.

No experience with Molicell yet.
however if they advertise/sell their cells for use in vaping then they are a tobacco product and subject to PMTA?

susieqz

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
steve, why in the world do you need to charge that often?
a pair of batteries lasts me all day, sub hm.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
steve, why in the world do you need to charge that often?
a pair of batteries lasts me all day, sub hm.

How much do you vape? Sure if I don't hit my MOD it will last for 2 days.

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I recently retired 7 HG2's from 2015. Capacity got abysmal.
been using the same Trustfire TR2 charger since 2015. Had a Nitecore as well but it quit...
Have another $7 Trustfire as backup though :)

susieqz

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
you guys are missing out.
smart chargers are lots of fun,
you don't buy them just to charge batteries tho.
mine would get up n walk the dog if i was more of a techie.

DrVapenstein

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
18650s are always going to be around regardless of what brand a or b does to availability. They're the standard for tactical flashlights and probably a whole bunch of other stuff too.

susieqz

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
um, i think the manufacturers want to cut off the flashlight guys n the rcers too.
battery packs only!

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
18650s are always going to be around regardless of what brand a or b does to availability. They're the standard for tactical flashlights and probably a whole bunch of other stuff too.

Ahh but the commercials say they want to cut off all single cell use and they show flashlights and a fan and such.
It is not just vapes.

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon

it's fun.

Slow charging to less than capacity? OK...N WHY? So mayb youl gwt 3 more ch as rges out of them in comparison. Smh

susieqz

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
there was a study done in australia i think.
charginging to 4.1 doubled battery life.
to 4.0. you triple it.

Last edited:

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
And vaping at 35W or less helps too.
does not stress a 20 amp cell much at all.

That's good to know -- you know I vape at 10w, using 20 15 amp batteries (30Q's), and that is never likely to change. I'm still using some 30Q's I bought in 2017, they still work fine, though I've moved them to "occasional use only", and mainly use them in the battery devices I've gotten from liionwholesale as free gifts -- a little fan, and a stupendous flashlight. The ones I got in 2018 are still in regular rotation, and still work fine. I got a new pair for xmas 2019, and they might be just a TAD longer-lasting than the 2018s, but the difference is so small it's nearly undetectable.

However, I do always charge them at 2A (one at a time since that's how I use them), in a Golisi charger I got for xmas in 2018; would it be better for their lifespan if I charged them at 1A?

I just ordered some nicotine, some new coils for the spawn's mesh atty, and a new Aegis Solo mod, thx to this bullshit proposed legislation here in GA, but maybe I need to go ahead and get another pair of batteries too?

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's good to know -- you know I vape at 10w, using 20 amp batteries, and that is never likely to change. I'm still using some 30Q's I bought in 2017, they still work fine, though I've moved them to "occasional use only", and mainly use them in the battery devices I've gotten from liionwholesale as free gifts -- a little fan, and a stupendous flashlight. The ones I got in 2018 are still in regular rotation, and still work fine. I got a new pair for xmas 2019, and they might be just a TAD longer-lasting than the 2018s, but the difference is so small it's nearly undetectable.

However, I do always charge them at 2A (one at a time since that's how I use them), in a Golisi charger I got for xmas in 2018; would it be better for their lifespan if I charged them at 1A?

I just ordered some nicotine, some new coils for the spawn's mesh atty, and a new Aegis Solo mod, thx to this bullshit proposed legislation here in GA, but maybe I need to go ahead and get another pair of batteries too?

Andria
it would extend their life some to only charge at 1A or less. will probably make more difference in the life of the battery for low amp vapers vs high amp vapers.
I too demote some of my batteries to flashlight use.
My personal rule on the 3000 mah batteries is if I cannot vape an entire squonk bottle of juice on a charge it gets recycled or demoted.

Last edited:

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
it would extend their life some to only charge at 1A or less. will probably make more difference in the life of the battery for low amp vapers vs high amp vapers.
I to demote some of my batteries to flashlight use.
My personal rule on the 3000 mah batteries is if I cannot vape an entire squonk bottle of juice on a charge it gets recycled or demoted.

Well, the 30Q's still last me more than 2 days of vaping, nearly 3 -- the newer ones are closer to 3, but the 2018s still in regular rotation still last more than 2 full days. I vape at 10w, and still vape 5ml or less each day. I usually mix 90ml of strawberry & cream at a time, and it seems to be lasting nearly 3 wks... I guess that's about right.

The 2017 batts I demoted to fan or flashlight still work just great -- I keep that outstanding little flashlight on my sewing table, to help me thread the needle when the thread is dark and hard to see... I've had that flashlight with the same batt in it since xmas, and it's still just as bright. I might go ahead and rotate to the other 2017, just so i can see how the charge in the one i've been using has held up in over a month's occasional use.

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, the 30Q's still last me more than 2 days of vaping, nearly 3 -- the newer ones are closer to 3, but the 2018s still in regular rotation still last more than 2 full days. I vape at 10w, and still vape 5ml or less each day. I usually mix 90ml of strawberry & cream at a time, and it seems to be lasting nearly 3 wks... I guess that's about right.

The 2017 batts I demoted to fan or flashlight still work just great -- I keep that outstanding little flashlight on my sewing table, to help me thread the needle when the thread is dark and hard to see... I've had that flashlight with the same batt in it since xmas, and it's still just as bright. I might go ahead and rotate to the other 2017, just so i can see how the charge in the one i've been using has held up in over a month's occasional use.

Andria
At your wattage using 30Q you are good to go on those batteries until their run time no longer satisfies you.

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I also find it odd or questionable the Mooch says we may just need to rely on internal battery mods more? I have a feeling in the very near future those will be extremely hard to come by as well :(

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Andria
Haven't seen Andrea in these parts for a while :)

Yeah, there's good evidence that slower charging over the long haul will degrade the chemicals in our batteries at a meaningfully slower rate. I rarely charge at over an amp for that reason.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The thing I'm disputing with dear @susieqz about is the idea that extra meticulous measures beyond some simple best practices as have been mentioned in this thread, will bring a dramatically increased lifespan to the batteries we use.

Take care of em and they'll last a good while.

Don't take care of em and they won't last as long.

I have yet to see anything to convince me that there is any way to make them last very much longer than just using and maintaining them according to those simple best practices.

VU Sponsors