Become a Patron!

I have a bad feeling about this... Battery Drought Coming?

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I also find it odd or questionable the Mooch says we may just need to rely on internal battery mods more? I have a feeling in the very near future those will be extremely hard to come by as well :(
Batteries have been my greatest concern all along. I've said so many times. Only instead of the DC despots making them illegal outside of their intended protected battery packs like I thought, now the OEMs themselves don't want to sell them to us.

It makes no difference what else you can get. Mods, tanks, coils, juice etc. No power, no vape. Period.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The thing I'm disputing with dear @susieqz about is the idea that extra meticulous measures beyond some simple best practices as have been mentioned in this thread, will bring a dramatically increased lifespan to the batteries we use.

Take care of em and they'll last a good while.

Don't take care of em and they won't last as long.

I have yet to see anything to convince me that there is any way to make them last very much longer than just using and maintaining them according to those simple best practices.

I remember a Mooch Video saying that charging at 2A or .5A makes no freaking difference. Not worth my time to search for it but I remember watching it and debating with others in threads at the time about it. Like I really give two shits about a battery aside from it venting? If I need cells I go to LIION and 2 days later my cells are here.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I remember a Mooch Video saying that charging at 2A or .5A makes no freaking difference. Not worth my time to search for it but I remember watching it and debating with others in threads at the time about it. Like I really give two shits about a battery aside from it venting? If I need cells I go to LIION and 2 days later my cells are here.
If I may be so bold. One of us is remembering wrong. :)

He just said in the last couples months about lower current charging bringing longer lifespan.

I very much hope that the days of going to LIION and grabbing more are not soon to be behind us. Never happen? Lots of things were supposed to never happen.

I hope you know by now I am not giving you a hard time for the sake of it Steve.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
He just said in the last couples months about lower current charging bringing longer lifespan.

The video I was referring to was over a year or more old and I have always been Old School and Slow Charging is best.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have known for a long time that you and I can debate or argue a difference of opinion or recollection without being Dick Heads~! :vino:
My preferred modus operandi for sure :) :vino:

In that light, I post this not to be proven right, but only to inform the thread. I mean that.
The following is from HERE
==========================================
Mooch:
How can we extend the life of our batteries?
(Reposting this every couple of months)

There are several things you can do to help your Li-Ion batteries last as long as possible before needing to replace them. Some are easy, some are quite inconvenient. Some have a big effect, some very little. But doing any of them can help slow down the aging and degradation of your batteries.

-- Temperature --

Don't overheat them. High temperatures are the biggest cause of battery damage and reduced battery life. Anything over about 45°C/113°F, what most would call warm, and your batteries start aging faster. The more time they spend being warm or hot, and the hotter they get, the more damage you're causing.

Don't use them when they're very cold, below -20°C/-4°F. The chemical reactions in a battery are a lot less efficient at low temperatures leading to poor performance. The sudden heating of the battery if used when cold can cause localized internal heating, possibly damaging the battery.

-- Discharging --

Don't overdischarge them. Our batteries are rated down to 2.5V or lower but you can extend their life by staying above 2.8V-3.0V***. Going below 2.0V or so leads to metal being plated inside different parts of the battery, eventually causing an internal short circuit and possible bursting of the battery.

If you accidentally overdischarge your battery below 2.0V immediately recharge it at the slowest rate your charger supports. Once the battery rises up over 3.0V or so you can switch to your normal charge rate.

If the battery has been at 2.0V for a while then it's probably damaged. It's not worth trying to use the "recovery" mode of your charger (if it has it) because the damage can lead to an internal short circuit later.

Li-Ion batteries do not need to be discharged occasionally all the way down in order to keep them in top condition. Li-Ion batteries do not suffer from "memory". This is only needed for NiCd (nickel-cadmium) or NiMH (nickel metal hydride) batteries.

Partial discharging and recharging multiple times is better for long battery life than discharging all the way down to where the mod indicates "low battery" and then recharging.

-- Charging --

Don't charge a battery that is below 0°C/32°F. It causes metal to be plated inside the battery eventually leading to an internal short circuit and possibly bursting of the battery.

Where possible, setting your charger to 4.1V will reduce stress on the battery and extend its life. But you will lose 10%-15% of the capacity of the battery.

Make sure the charger you use turns off once the charge is complete. Check the instructions for the charger you want to use.

Never use a trickle charger with Li-Ion batteries! The continuous holding of the battery at the trickle charge voltage damages it.

Don't overcharge them. To get the longest running possible time from a battery some chargers go up to as high as 4.27V. While this does result in a bit more vaping time before needing to recharge, it damages the battery. Most of the batteries we use are rated at up to 4.25V but even this is quite high. It's not dangerous until we're approaching 5V but battery damage starts occurring way below this.

Without a separate meter monitoring the battery's highest voltage before the charger stops it's hard to know what our batteries are actually being charged to. Our best option is to have our batteries spend as little time as possible fully charged and charge them just before using them. This usually isn't very convenient but it does extend battery life.

Charging at a slower rate is better, to a point. Most of our 18650 batteries have a "standard" charge rate of 1.0A-1.5A and a "rapid" charge rate of up to 4A. Charging at 0.5A might help extend the life of your batteries a bit but if the batteries are not getting warm at 1.0A then that's a good compromise between battery life and convenience. Going down to 0.375A or 0.25A won't help much versus charging at 0.5A.

Charge 18350's at 0.5A until you know that they aren't getting more than a bit warm.

Charge 26650's at 1.0A until you know that they aren't getting more than a bit warm. The better 26650's can be charged at up 2.0A without adversely affecting battery life.

-- Miscellaneous --

Storing batteries in the refrigerator doesn't make much of a difference in battery life unless you live in an area with high temperatures year around. It's not dangerous to refrigerate them but be sure to let them come to room temperature before opening whatever airtight wrapping/container you have them in.

If a battery wrap becomes damaged, replace it immediately. Replace the top insulator ring if it's also damaged.

Every time you buy batteries also buy battery boxes or sleeves, wraps, and top insulator rings. You...will...need...them.

-- Additional Information --

***This is the resting voltage, NOT the voltage "under load" that the battery drops to when being used. If your mod stops firing when the battery drops to 3.2V the battery can rise back to to 3.5V or even higher after resting for a while. This "resting voltage" is the important voltage, the one to be used when determining how low you are really discharging your batteries.

While stopping at 3.4V, 3.6V, or even higher might extend battery life a bit you are missing out on a lot of additional vaping time that you could use before needing to recharge. That additional vaping time can be enjoyed every day for, at most, just the cost of one extra set of batteries a year. Stopping at these higher voltages won't hurt the battery though. Just let the batteries sit for an hour before charging to see what their true resting voltage is when deciding how low you want their voltage to go in your mod.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The thing I'm disputing with dear @susieqz about is the idea that extra meticulous measures beyond some simple best practices as have been mentioned in this thread, will bring a dramatically increased lifespan to the batteries we use.

Take care of em and they'll last a good while.

Don't take care of em and they won't last as long.

I have yet to see anything to convince me that there is any way to make them last very much longer than just using and maintaining them according to those simple best practices.
You mean keeping them in a pyramid shaped battery holder will not help?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

In that light, I post this not to be proven right, but only to inform the thread. I mean that.
Mooch:

There are several things you can do to help your Li-Ion batteries last as long as possible before needing to replace them. Some are easy, some are quite inconvenient. Some have a big effect, some very little. But doing any of them can help slow down the aging and degradation of your batteries.

-- Temperature --

Don't overheat them. High temperatures are the biggest cause of battery damage and reduced battery life. Anything over about 45°C/113°F, what most would call warm, and your batteries start aging faster. The more time they spend being warm or hot, and the hotter they get, the more damage you're causing.

Don't use them when they're very cold, below -20°C/-4°F. The chemical reactions in a battery are a lot less efficient at low temperatures leading to poor performance. The sudden heating of the battery if used when cold can cause localized internal heating, possibly damaging the battery.

-- Discharging --

Don't overdischarge them. Our batteries are rated down to 2.5V or lower but you can extend their life by staying above 2.8V-3.0V***. Going below 2.0V or so leads to metal being plated inside different parts of the battery, eventually causing an internal short circuit and possible bursting of the battery.

If you accidentally overdischarge your battery below 2.0V immediately recharge it at the slowest rate your charger supports. Once the battery rises up over 3.0V or so you can switch to your normal charge rate.

If the battery has been at 2.0V for a while then it's probably damaged. It's not worth trying to use the "recovery" mode of your charger (if it has it) because the damage can lead to an internal short circuit later.

Li-Ion batteries do not need to be discharged occasionally all the way down in order to keep them in top condition. Li-Ion batteries do not suffer from "memory". This is only needed for NiCd (nickel-cadmium) or NiMH (nickel metal hydride) batteries.

Partial discharging and recharging multiple times is better for long battery life than discharging all the way down to where the mod indicates "low battery" and then recharging.

-- Charging --

Don't charge a battery that is below 0°C/32°F. It causes metal to be plated inside the battery eventually leading to an internal short circuit and possibly bursting of the battery.

Where possible, setting your charger to 4.1V will reduce stress on the battery and extend its life. But you will lose 10%-15% of the capacity of the battery.

Make sure the charger you use turns off once the charge is complete. Check the instructions for the charger you want to use.

Never use a trickle charger with Li-Ion batteries! The continuous holding of the battery at the trickle charge voltage damages it.

Don't overcharge them. To get the longest running possible time from a battery some chargers go up to as high as 4.27V. While this does result in a bit more vaping time before needing to recharge, it damages the battery. Most of the batteries we use are rated at up to 4.25V but even this is quite high. It's not dangerous until we're approaching 5V but battery damage starts occurring way below this.

Without a separate meter monitoring the battery's highest voltage before the charger stops it's hard to know what our batteries are actually being charged to. Our best option is to have our batteries spend as little time as possible fully charged and charge them just before using them. This usually isn't very convenient but it does extend battery life.

Charging at a slower rate is better, to a point. Most of our 18650 batteries have a "standard" charge rate of 1.0A-1.5A and a "rapid" charge rate of up to 4A. Charging at 0.5A might help extend the life of your batteries a bit but if the batteries are not getting warm at 1.0A then that's a good compromise between battery life and convenience. Going down to 0.375A or 0.25A won't help much versus charging at 0.5A.

Charge 18350's at 0.5A until you know that they aren't getting more than a bit warm.

Charge 26650's at 1.0A until you know that they aren't getting more than a bit warm. The better 26650's can be charged at up 2.0A without adversely affecting battery life.

-- Miscellaneous --

Storing batteries in the refrigerator doesn't make much of a difference in battery life unless you live in an area with high temperatures year around. It's not dangerous to refrigerate them but be sure to let them come to room temperature before opening whatever airtight wrapping/container you have them in.

If a battery wrap becomes damaged, replace it immediately. Replace the top insulator ring if it's also damaged.

Every time you buy batteries also buy battery boxes or sleeves, wraps, and top insulator rings. You...will...need...them.

***This is the resting voltage, NOT the voltage "under load" that the battery drops to when being used. If your mod stops firing when the battery drops to 3.2V the battery can rise back to to 3.5V or even higher after resting for a while. This "resting voltage" is the important voltage, the one to be used when determining how low you are really discharging your batteries.

While stopping at 3.4V, 3.6V, or even higher might extend battery life a bit you are missing out on a lot of additional vaping time that you could use before needing to recharge. That additional vaping time can be enjoyed every day for, at most, just the cost of one extra set of batteries a year. Stopping at these higher voltages won't hurt the battery though. Just let the batteries sit for an hour before charging to see what their true resting voltage is when deciding how low you want their voltage to go in your mod.

Yep heat is an enemy. Heat from fast charging and heat from fast discharging.

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Mooch:

-- Temperature --

-- Discharging --

-- Charging --

-- Miscellaneous --

Hmm, I learned a few things in there. Thanks for this

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Haven't seen Andrea in these parts for a while :)

Yeah, there's good evidence that slower charging over the long haul will degrade the chemicals in our batteries at a meaningfully slower rate. I rarely charge at over an amp for that reason.

No idea who Andrea is. ;)

I guess maybe I should just use the left-most bay then, instead of the right-most, in the Golisi. Or, since I have 4 batts in regular rotation, wait and charge 2 at once in the middle 2 bays. I'm just Homer Simpson with EVERYTHING -- "CAN'T THIS THING GO ANY FASTER?!?!"

I don't have a problem with battery run-time, as noted, my 30Q's last me nearly 3 days of regular vaping. Mainly I'm concerned about making sure that they have a nice long lifespan -- so far, no issues, but if getting batts becomes a problem, well then I might have as much of a problem as any other vaper. Might get one of those Aegis Minis, my son is real happy with his. And I do have about a half dozen of those Innokins I like so well, i4 or whatever it is. Since I got over myself and stopped vaping at 9.6w and just stay at 10w, then the Innokins are as good as any other of my mods.

Andria

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
there was a study done in australia i think.
charging to 4.1 doubled battery life.
to 4.0. you triple it.

@gsmit1 i forget exactly which one, but i think mooch's
minding your mahs, i think episode 5 or 6 has the info..

did you think i was making this stuff up/?
My friend, I need to see where Mooch or anybody else with credibility made the statement at the top of this post. :rolleyes:

"...charging to 4.1 doubled battery life.

to 4.0. you triple it."

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Those Molicell18650's seem to be geared to higher wattage vapers. Kiinda low on the mah for us lower wattage vapers.
Yeah, they're the rough equivalent of a VTC5A. I was just saying that if everybody else stopped selling us batteries, those 18650's would work for pretty much all regulated users. Not the perfect battery for lower power, but they would definitely work fine.

It's the Mech people who are really going to get jacked up if Samsung batteries are no longer available. There are other usable batteries, but nothing beats 30Ts and 20S. Mech users will have to adjust their builds to have the same safety margin.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, they're the rough equivalent of a VTC5A. I was just saying that if everybody else stopped selling us batteries, those 18650's would work for pretty much all regulated users. Not the perfect battery for lower power, but they would definitely work fine.

It's the Mech people who are really going to get jacked up if Samsung batteries are no longer available. There are other usable batteries, but nothing beats 30Ts and 20S. Mech users will have to adjust their builds to have the same safety margin.
Andria for sure and I could get by with salvaged laptop battery pack batteries if worst came to worst. I vape my Subtank Mini/RBA at 16W. Most laptop cells are at least 4.5 amp CDR. I only bought 1 batch of 25R's because of the reduced capacity. And gave my 4 VTC5A's away to someone who needed the safety margin.
WARNING: Do not try this at home.
Try it at somebody's house you do not mind burning down.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

What about regulated users who use the very-low resistance mesh coils? I'm a bit concerned about that, for my son. One of his mods is the Aegis Mini, with the internal batt, so that's probably ok, but the other he likes is one of the 2-batt mods, I fergit offhand which one... maybe one of the Vaporessos. I got him the 25Rs since they're 20A batts.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
They really are first rate batteries, but there's not a lot of selection. if you wound up being stuck with P26As if that's all that was available you'd be just fine though. Great 18650s
https://liionwholesale.com/collections/batteries/molicel-npe

I'll be looking into those, for my son's use. As long as I can get 10 or 15 amp batts for myself, I'll be fine -- in fact I could probably go back to those lame ass 5A Efests i used to use in my old Sigelei Zmax flat-top. :D

Andria

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What about regulated users who use the very-low resistance mesh coils? I'm a bit concerned about that, for my son. One of his mods is the Aegis Mini, with the internal batt, so that's probably ok, but the other he likes is one of the 2-batt mods, I fergit offhand which one... maybe one of the Vaporessos. I got him the 25Rs since they're 20A batts.

Andria
In my opinion (whatever that's worth), Molicell P26As would be fine for your son. More than fine actually.

They're a fabulous all round 18650. Given the choice, you'd want something with a bit more capacity and give up some current for better time between charges for low power vapers like yourself, but that doesn't mean that VtC5As or P26As won't work just fine in that scenario.

susieqz

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
mooch said double or triple battery life by undrcharging.
episode 6, minding you mahs.
can't you read?
in a private conversation with me, he backed off on triple a bit, but not much.
go ask him.
he'll tell you i'm right n you are wrong.
this is fact.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
mooch said double or triple battery life by undrcharging.
episode 6, minding you mahs.
can't you read?
in a private conversation with me, he backed off on triple a bit, but not much.
go ask him.he'll tell you I'm right n you are wrong. this is fact.
If he does, then I'll have no problem admitting it.
That would also contradict what he said in the article I posted though. I'm not trying to be right. I'm trying to be helpful. Like I say, I hate to see you spending more energy worrying about something that will get you minimal return, than just enjoying your vape. .

susieqz

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
go watch episode 6

ok, i went back n watched epiosode 6 again, to make suse that was the right place.
yup, mooch said charging to 4.1 doubles or triples battery life.

actually, that study said 4.15 doubles n 4.1 triples.

the science is all on my side.

please admit i'm right.

Last edited:

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
go watch episode 6

ok, i went back n watched epiosode 6 again, to make suse that was the right place.
yup, mooch said charging to 4.1 doubles or triples battery life.

actually, that study said 4.15 doubles n 4.1 triples.

the science is all on my side.

please admit i'm right.
I watched the episode. You're right. He did say that :)

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have been doing something wrong!
I charge to 4.2 and my batteries only last 3-5 years!
going to start charging to 4 and will have 15 year batteries YAAY!

susieqz

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
thank you.
i'm gonna try to watch that when it plays if i get the time zones right.
it's important that mooch sees lots of people are interested.

he takes questions too.
i might ask one.
mooch is always willing to answer questions, but i hate to send a msg.
it feels like an imposition.

usually, i just ask when we are on the same thread.
we both moniter battery threads.

susieqz

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
crom, if yours last 5years i may never have to buy batteries again.
that's my goal.
i don't care if they are cheap.

you can't charge to 4 because you buy $.99 chargers.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
crom, if yours last 5years i may never have to buy batteries again.
that's my goal.
i don't care if they are cheap.

you can't charge to 4 because you buy $.99 chargers.
I am just retiring some HG2's I got 4.5 years ago. Still work fine but capacity has dropped by around 25%.
A few for flashlight duty and the rest recycle.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Weird. None of my integrated-batt mods (I was wrong, they're CF4's, not i4s) will charge to 4.2 in any case. A couple will charge to 4.15, but most only to 4.10 or 4.12.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I tried to get Mooch to move over here from ECF. Didn't work. He is amicable to chat with though.

He's reachable on FB too; I had to go that route once, since I wouldn't go to ECF if they fucking paid me. Don't care much for FB, but it's a damn sight better than ECF!!!

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mine charge to 4.18-4.2 in my trusty Trustfire charger. the dratted I2 intellicharger started only charging to 3.8 volts. Binned it.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
He's reachable on FB too; I had to go that route once, since I wouldn't go to ECF if they fucking paid me. Don't care much for FB, but it's a damn sight better than ECF!!!

Andria
I chat with him some in ECR. I think he hangs out there more than ECF but how would I know? not been there for years excpet to go to Mooch's blog which I have bookmarked and go straight to it.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have the following ready to copy and paste into the chat questions during today's live show.
========================

@Battery Mooch
I'm going to respectfully put you a bit on the spot.
In episode 6 of MYM you make the assertion that slightly undercharging can double or even triple battery lifespan. Albeit with a hit on run time.

Lower power users routinely get 3-5 years with decent care. You can't be saying that undercharging can get them 9-15 years of usable life from our batteries. Again, hat in hand with grateful respect.
Thank you sir.

Last edited:

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I think I’d rather up the run time a bit, as long as I can always have access to cells. Is that selfish? I’m using mostly single 18650 mods, so the run time matters to me!

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
He is amicable to chat with though.
He is indeed amicable to chat with. I've sent him private messages a few times, even here, but never about tech issues. Because like @Suzieqz I would consider that disrespectful as he has requested that folks not do that.

He has always answered fully and thoughtfully. I appreciate that.

He is a true and highly capable expert in this field and a godsend to this community, for which we should all be very grateful.

All that said :) He is still just a man and I cannot believe that he really thought through that statement in episode 6 of Minding Your Mahs.

Last edited:

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I have the following ready to copy and paste into the chat questions during today's live show.
========================

@battery mooch
I'm going to respectfully put you a bit on the spot.
In episode 6 of MYM you make the assertion that slightly undercharging can double or even triple battery lifespan. Albeit with a hit on run time.

Lower power users routinely get 3-5 years with decent care. You can't be saying that undercharging can get them 9-15 years of usable life from our batteries. Again, hat in hand with grateful respect.
Thank you sir.

I hope Mooch doesn’t think you’re a wise ass!

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
In all honesty I think that Mooch focuses more of his testing and conclusions based on high current vaping.
He tends to vape mechs it seems.

this is not a criticism just my observation/opinion.

But I wrote it on the internet so it must be true?

And if gsmit1 gets flack from Mooch over the question he can just blame it on the wacko Cromwell guy.

I believe that about 5 years is they most one can get from LI cells. Based on my vaping experience and with other LI battery packs and such.
I did get 10 years out of a lipo pack in my Kindle before it puffed up and pressed on the screen causing weird things to happen. Replaced it and all good.

Last edited:

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
In all honesty I think that Mooch focuses more of his testing and conclusions based on high current vaping.
He tends to vape mechs it seems.

this is not a criticism just my observation/opinion.

But I wrote it on the internet so it must be true?

And if gsmit1 gets flack from Mooch over the question he can just blame it on the wacko Cromwell guy.

I believe that about 5 years is they most one can get from LI cells. Based on my vaping experience and with other LI battery packs and such.
I did get 10 years out of a lipo pack in my Kindle before it puffed up and pressed on the screen causing weird things to happen. Replaced it and all good.

Hmm, you replaced your Kindle cells? Good for you! I’m impressed.

You’re thrifty, not a wacko! :teehee:

VU Sponsors