Become a Patron!

Info about my mod battery lifetime

gangs73r

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Good evening everybody, I've camed back with some questions. A minute of your time and patience thank you.

I've recently bought a starter kit from Kangertech and that is the TOPBOX Mini 75w TC mode, I have 2 Sony vtc5 18650 batteries 2600 mAh, 3,6 V- 3,7 V, 30 A, bought a tester and a well rated single battery charger. So this is my current gear and currently I'm using the Ni200 coil that arrived in the kit, I'm very impressed of the mod performance, throat hits, eliquid tastes like but very disappointed on the battery life it barely keeps up for 16h on my ussage. So I understand that the 0.22 resistance coil from Ni200 lets more current flow throw the coil and thus is the lifetime.

So my question is how can I extend the life overall of my mod?

Bigger batteries ? Which ones, name some big and safe ones, then it's my job to find them here in Italy.

Meanwhile I've found these :
LG Chem 18650HG2 battery 3000 mAh, 3,6 V, format : LiNiMnCoO2/20 A (2)

1. Is this safe for my mod in TC and wattage ?

Coil with higher ressitance ? I'm thinking at SS so I can use it in TC.

Can you guys help me with some pointers.

Thanks in advance.

P.S.
This is an upgrade from the Innokin SVD iTaste Express kit to which I've past on to my brother with the all ohm law explained and fully understood.

Last edited:

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Good evening everybody, I've camed back with some questions. A minute of your time and patience thank you.

I've recently bought a starter kit from Kangertech and that is the TOPBOX Mini 75w TC mode, I have 2 Sony vtc5 18650 batteries 2600 mAh, 3,6 V- 3,7 V, 30 A, bought a tester and a well rated single battery charger. So this is my current gear and currently I'm using the Ni200 coil that arrived in the kit, I'm very impressed of the mod performance, throat hits, eliquid tastes like but very disappointed on the battery life it barely keeps up for 16h on my ussage. So I understand that the 0.22 resistance coil from Ni200 lets more current flow throw the coil and thus is the lifetime.

So my question is how can I extend the life overall of my mod?

Bigger batteries ? Which ones, name some big and safe ones, then it's my job to find them here in Italy.

Meanwhile I've found these :
LG Chem 18650HG2 battery 3000 mAh, 3,6 V, format : LiNiMnCoO2/20 A (2)

1. Is this safe for my mod in TC and wattage ?

Coil with higher ressitance ? I'm thinking at SS so I can use it in TC.

Can you guys help me with some pointers.

Thanks in advance.

P.S.
This is an upgrade from the Innokin SVD iTaste Express kit to which I've past on to my brother with the all ohm law explained and fully understood.
The LG HG2 will work safely and longer in your mod. Regarding the coils, you may have to try and see, if they help with battery life. If you do have a RBA with your tank, you could build a coil with a higher resistance, in order to use lower power, therefore saving battery life.

gangs73r

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Are you guys for real ?! Does subohming implies carrying around an extra 18650 ? Does this mean I'm a normal vaper or you are ?
Me who thought that the batteries are weak.

Thanks for sharing, really appreciate it.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Are you guys for real ?! Does subohming implies carrying around an extra 18650 ? Does this mean I'm a normal vaper or you are ?

There's no normal Vaper. Everyone has their own preferences.

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Where are you going that 16 hours isn't enough battery life for you?

Just buy a plastic battery_carrying_case and bring the other battery along if you need more

Last edited:

Rhett1977

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm happy to get four hours out of my triple 18650. Buy a mod with multiple batteries or carry a spare. If you build higher ohm you'll just have to go higher wattage to get a satisfying vape

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

I used to be a Boy Scout... Be prepared!!!

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Couple things.

First, Wattage is where your battery life comes from. The higher wattage and more usage the faster your battery will drain. Also, TC eats up battery life faster as it's doing a lot more work than normal wattage (constant pulses to check readings). Just like all elements of vaping there are a lot of variables and I have no patience to write everything I know just like likely no one would want to read it :D.

So... what wattage are you using?

I've been fine tuning my "travel kit" lately (pico mod + Diablo tank). Finally got it perfectly dialed in with a 1.11Ω coil and 45w, this lasts can me 3+ days of vaping at work depending on my usage (I'd say 3 days is average use for me). That includes draining 10+mL of juice (guestimate).

By upping the resistance I'm able to use lower wattage to achieve the same heating. My original .37Ω build when acquiring this setup had me having to recharge every 1.5days and about 6mL of juice as I was running at 70w. Now I get the same flavor same satisfaction but at a much lower power usage.

So higher resistance, lower power, more battery life!

This might not be what you were looking for but that's been answered already (yes you can go with those LG's, as an alternative there are Samsung 30qs, those two have the highest life) but I thought this might be some good food for thought for future decisions. I'd end in saying that in general higher resistance builds give less vapor, I make my own coils and I'm able to build them just right to get the quality while applying these ideas, but it's still something worth thinking about even if using premade stuff (a .5Ω coil at 50w in power mode might be satisfactory and would yield more life and may be worth the slight tradeoff in quality)

kross8

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
1.8Ω 5V I am running at 12.5W
0.46Ω 5V I am running at 54.4W

and ooops, forgot to go back to 12.5W 10V at 1.8Ω = very bad
i am always curious what settings others use......i dont see how you guys go over 40w....heck i rarely hit 30w.---above that is too freaking hot or 'harsh' for this wimp lol
my builds are .20--.75ohms always in the 15-25watts

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
i am always curious what settings others use......i dont see how you guys go over 40w....heck i rarely hit 30w.---above that is too freaking hot or 'harsh' for this wimp lol
my builds are .20--.75ohms always in the 15-25watts
The variables can be simplified to mass and resistance. A .08Ω coil and a 1.11Ω coil vape pretty similarly for me, the 1.11Ω is of course MUCH less massive than the .08Ω coil. I'd say that lower resistance coil produces a slightly warmer and more dense vape but not much at all. That resistance element makes a huge difference. The .08Ω takes in about 170w, the 1.11Ω coil I vape at ~45w. Lower resistance and more mass will take a lot more power to heat, in the end resulting in a similar vaping output.

I assume your .2Ω builds take the 25w and the 15w take the .75 Ω? It's all a matter of preference, but in the and I range quite a bit of the spectrum of resistances and wattage uses and get a similar quality vape. I think to get to 25w I'd have to do something like a 36g cored fused clapton which would yield probably a closer to 2Ω than 1Ω resistance... crap you just made me want to try something this weekend! :confused:

I'd also mention my series builds, with enough wicking/juice and airflow my ~130w build using a .5Ω coil I get a similar vape to those other two (slightly warmer).

Point is a lot of variables are involved. Airflow, wicking/juice, resistance, mass, power, it's all going to combine into the vape.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm happy to get four hours out of my triple 18650. Buy a mod with multiple batteries or carry a spare. If you build higher ohm you'll just have to go higher wattage to get a satisfying vape
In order to get higher resistance, you use higher gauge (thinner) wire. Therefore, you need less power (wattage) to heat up the coil(s), thus extending battery life.

kross8

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The variables can be simplified to mass and resistance. A .08Ω coil and a 1.11Ω coil vape pretty similarly for me, the 1.11Ω is of course MUCH less massive than the .08Ω coil. I'd say that lower resistance coil produces a slightly warmer and more dense vape but not much at all. That resistance element makes a huge difference. The .08Ω takes in about 170w, the 1.11Ω coil I vape at ~45w. Lower resistance and more mass will take a lot more power to heat, in the end resulting in a similar vaping output.

I assume your .2Ω builds take the 25w and the 15w take the .75 Ω? It's all a matter of preference, but in the and I range quite a bit of the spectrum of resistances and wattage uses and get a similar quality vape. I think to get to 25w I'd have to do something like a 36g cored fused clapton which would yield probably a closer to 2Ω than 1Ω resistance... crap you just made me want to try something this weekend! :confused:
most of my coils are 'what came out' and the wattage is determined by the flavor in use.. some taste better at a certain range that others dont fair so well at....ie,,, most of yesterday was at .98 ohms as i try out dif coil set ups. (everything is kanthal).. mostly 26g,,but yesterday was 30g, twisted then coiled... i have no complaints about coilings,, having fun playing around with them. (although i seem to be in flavor heaven nearer to .20 when i have certain juices i really like )

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
With my Mini Volt I use a .9 ohm coil and vape it between 20-27 watts. Otherwise its with a dual 18650 at 60-80 watts with a .25 - .30 coil.

gangs73r

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks to all the people that shared their preferences I'll sure try some within my mod parameters. Meanwhile I've ordered the batteries but please tell me if I get this right :
The user manual of my mod tells that I should use 30amps batteries but the ones I've ordered are 20 amps but conform to ohms law with the lg batteries I should be safe if my coils doesn't reach the 0.1 ohms(needed 37amps), as long as my coils have a 0.2 ohms(needed 18amps) and not under I should be safe right ?

Thank you once again for sharing

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Since you are using a regulated mod the amp draw is not a direct result of Ohm's law as it would be in a mech mod. The chip governs the amp draw on the battery. Your wattage setting and the voltage level of your battery are what govern amp draw made by the chip, not the resistance of your coil. As the voltage of your battery drops the amp draw actually increases not decreases as it would in a mech. The type of coil, resistance and mass can certainly affect how long the charge will last (by the wattage needed to make it perform) but not the safety. Your wattage settings and remaining voltage are the keys. If you are running it at the max 75 watts until the mod refuses to fire then a 30 amp battery would be best. The LG's (or other major manufacturer quality 20 amp cell), provided they are genuine and purchased from a trusted source as with all batteries, are sufficient for your likely usage.

Last edited:

gangs73r

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I understand, so far I only read and watch tutorials and documents but all of that was in general facts, I didn't know all that stuff you mentioned.

Thank you for the info

gangs73r

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Good evening again !

Today my order arrived, 1 battery from 2 that I`ve ordered, problem solved with amazon they reimbursed the full amount, after solving that problem I`ve checked the voltage on the battery and showed 0.6V is this possible ? Is the battery cell dead ? should I try to charge it ? The second problem is that i have 2 other cells bought, that must arrive tomorrow from the same seller. I`m a bit in the jam here donno what should I expect.

The battery were bought because of the very possitive feedback of the seller and product, the buyers posted photos with Amps draw correctly, capacity and voltage fully charged, so I was conviced.

EDIT : I didn`t bought the LG HG2 because of this post
http://vapingunderground.com/threads/warning-fake-hg2s-out-there.234681/
so I`ve chossed the second best.

VU Sponsors