Become a Patron!

IPV5 or RX200.. Or wait for the RX200S?

rueric

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hello All,

I took a break for vaping a while back (about 9 months) and when I was vaping, I was using the Aspire CF Mod with the Aspire Atlantis coil..

Fast forward to present time, I am looking for a box mod that I can adjust the wattage etc.. Now they came out with new "features" like TC and stuff.. Aside form that, while performing my own research, two mods I keep hearing about/seeing..

The IPV5 and the RX200..
I like the idea of using my own 18650 batteries (I still have some, along with an external charger).
I understand the gist of the RX200 and the IPV5 being able to upgrade it's own software/firmware.. But other than the use of 3x batteries and 2x batteries in series, what are the majors differences/flaws with each of them?

Will my Aspire Atlantis tank fit in these mods? Or do I need a different one and if so, what is the recommendation?

Finally, should I just hold out on the newly announced RX200S? I like getting the latest and greatest (within budget).. But at the same time, it seems like the vaping industry is CONSTANTLY turning out new products.. I want to get a good solid box mod and just not have to worry about keep throwing money into something when I just want to vape.

Thank you for your input!

-E

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
ok heres the deal

if you plan on using the IPV Pure atomizer then get the ipv5
dont know what that is .... either do alot of people...look it up if you want. havent heard much goo don it, but some love it

if you are a stickler about looks....then go rx200 or 200s cuz it can hold a 25mm atty and look good
the ipv5 needs to be a mm thicker i think to look good

in terms of features your getting great features from both

in terms of upgrades.....yihi has been notoriously bad about updating... they did release an update to the 3li for some features, but instead of adding another update to add the features the ipv5 has that it dont...they released the ipv5 lol
wisemec has been better with updates then most companies...but becuase you can update it dont mean that you will get an update

in terms of quality...both are great

yes your aspire will fit both of them

other then that not much difference.
3 batteries will be safer if you build really low ohms and 3 batteries iwll last longer between recharges.
but thats about it

rueric

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ok heres the deal

if you plan on using the IPV Pure atomizer then get the ipv5
dont know what that is .... either do alot of people...look it up if you want. havent heard much goo don it, but some love it

if you are a stickler about looks....then go rx200 or 200s cuz it can hold a 25mm atty and look good
the ipv5 needs to be a mm thicker i think to look good

in terms of features your getting great features from both

in terms of upgrades.....yihi has been notoriously bad about updating... they did release an update to the 3li for some features, but instead of adding another update to add the features the ipv5 has that it dont...they released the ipv5 lol
wisemec has been better with updates then most companies...but becuase you can update it dont mean that you will get an update

in terms of quality...both are great

yes your aspire will fit both of them

other then that not much difference.
3 batteries will be safer if you build really low ohms and 3 batteries iwll last longer between recharges.
but thats about it

Thank you so much!
It's good to know the state and rep of companies that sell these mods.. I'm always in favor of a company that provides regular updates to their devices.. I think I'll go with the RX200.. and maybe even just wait for the RX200s to drop..

Any recommendation on a new atomizer that should go well with this?

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
atomizers depend on what you like.
there are so many choices
premade coils
build your own coils
ceramic vs stainless steel vs kanthal vs temperature control wire like ni200. I never owned an aspire so im clueless about them. hopefully someone familiar with them can weigh in on things they ahve used besides it to give you an idea or 2 of where to start looking

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Thank you so much!
It's good to know the state and rep of companies that sell these mods.. I'm always in favor of a company that provides regular updates to their devices.. I think I'll go with the RX200.. and maybe even just wait for the RX200s to drop..

Any recommendation on a new atomizer that should go well with this?
I used to have a RX200, until I PIFed it to someone in need. I liked it a lot, while I was using it. However, I bought the DNA200 version prior to the RX200, and with a second DNA200 mod, there was really no need for me to keep it. If I were you, I'd get the RX200 now, due to the current price drop, and wait longer for the RX200S. Which also gives you time to hear about the RX200S from other forum members.

Regarding your new atomizer, suggestions depend on wether you do MTL (mouth to lungs, like smoking), or DL (direct to lungs). There are so many tanks out there, and most are designed for DL. In addition, do you want to buy and replace coils, or do you want the option to be able to build your own coils, or do you want an Atty purely for building your own coils?

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

As is mine. I have both, use both everyday and love both. If you you want really accurate SS TC, get the IPV5. If you do decide to go the RX route, I'd wait for the new one. If you are all about wattage then consider the IPV3 Li. It's a powerhouse as well, gets the best battery life out of all my duel 18650's and the only one that discharges them evenly.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Too many DNA REULEAx shells
Not enough DNA boards lol...
Oh well.. That looks amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
hoe did i miss those???

anyone know why theres a gap??? is that normal

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
101 vape has the new rx for less than what I spent on the original rx, I don't know if waiting is going to save you much more than $5.
There are new regulations going into effect that may push you to make a decision faster and not wait for price drop also.
The rx is great, ipv5 has a yihi chip. Menu navigation on the rx is better but the 5 is more accurate with TC and there is not any delay to fire whatsoever. The rx has a slight lag to fire.

Lots of differences between the two like 2 or 3 cell, size and what not but to me the main differences is rx wins in the menu navigation category and the 5 wins the speed to fire and accuracy category.

Don't get me wrong, the rx runs SS coils in TC very well... but yihi does it better.

rueric

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thank you everyone for your great input!
I like the fact that the RX200 will be using 3 batteries instead of 2 (Charging and changing the batteries on my Aspire CF Mod was a bit of a PITA).
According to 101 Vapes, the RX200S will begin shipping 5/17/2016.. A bit longer than what I was hoping for but I may end up waiting.
I found a site, efun.top that is pre-saling for $38.89.. Are they reputable as well? Or should I just make the jump and place the order with 101 Vapes? It is only a $3 difference but seems that efun.top may take a while to ship as well, est. 7-15 business days.

Also, as for the atomizer.. I've had the Atlantis Aspire (Version 1 apparently) as my first real atty.. It was easy enough to purchase coils but I found it to add onto the overall cost of the device.. $12 for 5.. I'm not sure if that is considered a lot or not but it may be easier to make it myself? I would have to learn how to do it but im not sure if I have the confidence to do so yet.

I was reading up on the Theorem atomizer and that seemed like it comes with a notch coil.. Can I just re-wick those (Put in new cotton) and keep going? Or will I need to make my own coils to keep using it?

Thank you!!

Stigma

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you everyone for your great input!
I like the fact that the RX200 will be using 3 batteries instead of 2 (Charging and changing the batteries on my Aspire CF Mod was a bit of a PITA).
According to 101 Vapes, the RX200S will begin shipping 5/17/2016.. A bit longer than what I was hoping for but I may end up waiting.
I found a site, efun.top that is pre-saling for $38.89.. Are they reputable as well? Or should I just make the jump and place the order with 101 Vapes? It is only a $3 difference but seems that efun.top may take a while to ship as well, est. 7-15 business days.

Also, as for the atomizer.. I've had the Atlantis Aspire (Version 1 apparently) as my first real atty.. It was easy enough to purchase coils but I found it to add onto the overall cost of the device.. $12 for 5.. I'm not sure if that is considered a lot or not but it may be easier to make it myself? I would have to learn how to do it but im not sure if I have the confidence to do so yet.

I was reading up on the Theorem atomizer and that seemed like it comes with a notch coil.. Can I just re-wick those (Put in new cotton) and keep going? Or will I need to make my own coils to keep using it?

Thank you!!
I don't have any friends who vape so I watched a shit load of YouTube videos. Fortunately I work in the Electrical field so I had an understanding of ohms law.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would pre order from 101, efun may be shipping from China or the US, make sure on that.

Soooo many tanks to choose from now, VU will be a good guide on choosing one. Take a browse.

Theorum looks good, notch coils can be reused up to a point I guess... but that should be many many rewicks. That coil can be used in any other rda/rta that has decent room to fit it.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also... from what I can tell... the only difference in the S is a bigger screen.
You can get many colors for the original one and have it in a few days... just sayin :vapemail:

rueric

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I knoww.. But I wouldnt mind a bigger screen, and also the factor of "latest and greatest".. Though probably not the greatest in the sense of not much of an improvement lol.

While we are on the subject, what batteries would you recommend? I am trying to bundle it with the order. Thanks!

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
LG HG2 for a 3 cell mod and samsung 25r (green) for a 1-2 cell mod... imo.

Liionwholesale has great prices, it may be cheaper to buy from him even with the shipping added and you know they are authentic (not saying 101's won't be but for sure with liions). Take a look at least.

Last edited:

rueric

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks!

I did a bit of my own research (Google) and found the HG2's were also recommended.
I am going to place the order with 101vape since they offer them for $12 a pair. I'll grab 2 pairs and call it a day.

Still doing some more research into Tanks before I officially place the order.

rueric

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
More on the atomizer..

I'm traditionally a smoker, so I think I'd be looking for a DL.
I like the option of making it cheaper by doing what I can without that much of a hassle.
If it means I have to make my own coils and then wick them myself, that is fine too.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Keep 3 of those cells married (label rx) and the 4th on the side for a future mini mod or something. You want the same hours of use on all 3 cells in the rx.

There is a big mouth to lung attomizer thread here with a ton of good info, take a look there... I haven't done mtl for a good 5 or more years so I'm no help.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And that is a very good price for that battery so yeah, might as well order all from 1 place

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Correction to my post above... mouth to lung is usually what new quitters go with. Direct to lung is what most long time vapers use as we are used to it and want moar and moar vape :)

Thought you were asking about mtl tank but if you are looking for a DL tank, the Boreas. Learn to build (see stigma's post above about learning ohms law) or use the new notch coils. Disclaimer: don't know for sure if those fit in the boreas but they should. Or hell, get a theorum. Only thing I don't like about that is it is held together by orings.

Easiest route to DL tank with great clouds and flavor, Crown tank with 0.25 SS coils.

Last edited:

rueric

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
After some research, it seems like a lot of work to build coils.. Ohm meter.. the kanthal wire.. Japanese cotton.. Wire cutter.. Blow torch.. How much would I be saving if I were to buy my coils rather than making my own?

P.S. - My local shop sells coils for $5 a piece.. that's a bit much too. I might as well buy packs of coils for the $12 (+$5 shipping) for a 5 pack.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Saves quite a bit... and run stainless wire.

With those notch coils, if they work well... you don't necessarily need all that gear when using a TC mod. It will tell you the resistance more accurately than most meters and let you know if there's a short and with the rx it's robust enough to use as a base to build on. And you know within a few hundredths what the resistance will be with the notch.

If the notch doesn't perform well... start building.;)
Wire is pretty cheap from lightning vapes amazon or ebay, same with temco.

Last edited:

Steamhead

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee

rueric

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks for the recommendation! I submitted the pre-order! Question.. what do you guys think of the Smok TFV4? I heard it comes with a starter coil kit which would help

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When it comes to Sub-Ohm tanks (pre-built coils) the TFV4 is good (I actually have 2, 1 still unopened), but I prefer building my own coils so I don't use them. Another very popular tank is the Crown.

As for batteries I think your best bet is the Samsung 25R. They are rock solid and basically what all other 18650's are measured against. At the moment I can't really recommend the LG HG2's because there are alot of fakes (possibly factory seconds going around) Mooch himself said if you absolutely want the extra mah (at the expense of a slightly higher higher max current), get the Samsung 30Q. You just can't go wrong with 25R's imo. Here's a link to the story on the LG HG2's if you are interested:
https://batterybro.com/blogs/18650-...an-you-identify-the-fake-lg-hg2-18650-battery

As for mods you are looking at, I prefer Yihi chips over Joyetech (I actually prefer the DNA200 over everything but that's not one of your choices). Also keep in mind while a 3 battery mod is better for some circumstances (longer battery life, true 200 watts), it's also heavier and less pocket friendly.

Cheers,
Steve

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Owning both, I would say they both have their merits, and it is really down to do you want a dual or triple 18650 powered device?

The IPV5 uses a Yihi Chip, with Sx pure support for the tanks, so it should be a solid device, and it is very nice to use.
The RX200 also is a very nice device though, with battery life that lasts for a very long time, it is quite heavy though.

I would decide what form factor I preferred, as both are great and I don't feel one is a clear winner over the other, others opinions may differ though.
Both offer custom TCR, although the RX200 has 3 memory settings for this against the IPV5's 1, so if you plan on using different wire types to NI, TI, and SS(or different grades of SS) the RX200 may be better due to the 3 custom TCR settings you can create.

keithh1981

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Your not supposed to use the smok TFV4 with the RX200 because you will void your warrenty. My vape shop informed me on this, something about the pin on the TFV4 can interfere and damage the pin contact on the RX200 mod.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Your not supposed to use the smok TFV4 with the RX200 because you will void your warrenty. My vape shop informed me on this, something about the pin on the TFV4 can interfere and damage the pin contact on the RX200 mod.

I think your vape shop is quite confused if I am honest. Please, anyone correct me if I am wrong, but I do not see how a 510 threaded tank could damage the pin inside the RX200-I have used the TFV4 on both my Reuleaux DNA200, as well as the Joyetech RX200 version.

Plus-how would they know you had used the TFV4, unless you told them ;).

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank you-that is new to me, I will ensure I no longer use the TFV4 on the RX200. That is very odd though, thank you for letting me/us know though about it :).

EDIT: I am going to measure my Gemini threading, as this actually does not sit flush on my RX200-but does on other mods. I am thinking it could well be longer than the specified length.

keithh1981

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I don't vape on the TFV4 since IMO it is overrated with little to no taste nothing but a overpriced cloud tank.

I heard them tell new customers this to inform them which is always great to hear them do.

And to answer your question if a pin connector gets damaged from a 510 connection it is a pretty safe bet they were using a TFV4 tank since that is the only tank researched to do this.

Fact is if you like using a TFV4 and care about your warrenty on your mod then don't use the RX200. If you don't care about the warrenty on your mod go ahead.

You can use the TFV4 on the DNA 200x though since the pin is designed differently than the rx200x version.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't vape on the TFV4 since IMO it is overrated with little to no taste nothing but a overpriced cloud tank.

I heard them tell new customers this to inform them which is always great to hear them do.

And to answer your question if a pin connector gets damaged from a 510 connection it is a pretty safe bet they were using a TFV4 tank since that is the only tank researched to do this.

Fact is if you like using a TFV4 and care about your warrenty on your mod then don't use the RX200. If you don't care about the warrenty on your mod go ahead.

I use many different tanks on my mods, I enjoy the TFV4 with the Dual coil RBA-with stock coils I find it to be too much of a juice drinker/power hungry tank for my liking.

I will ensure I do not use the TFV4 or the Gemini-I have just compared the threading and it seems the gemini is the same length as the TFV4, but with a even bigger protruding positive pin.

I will in future check my tanks threading for use on the RX200, thanks for letting me know.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Im also not a fan of the TFV4 but I have used it lots of times on the RX with no issues whatsoever.

keithh1981

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What I read is it could damage your rx200x doesn't mean it will IMO. But your warrenty will be voided if you do that is the point. My advise is not to have it on real tight just to be safe.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What I read is it could damage your rx200x doesn't mean it will IMO. But your warrenty will be voided if you do that is the point. My advise is not to have it on real tight just to be safe.

Do you know if this also applies to the DNA200 version? As in the image, that is what is used-I really do not want to damage that one, I am guessing as the housing is essentially the same the 510 connection is also the same on both devices?

I also think that finger tight is always right, don't go cranking down on your tanks or RDA's, I never have done from first vaping to now, but this does seem to explain why the Gemini has space all around it when used with the RX200-the threading is just too long for it to sit flush. I did not notice this with the TFV4, but I wasn't actually looking for a gap, so there could well of been.

keithh1981

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My vape shop said the DNA was different and you could but to be safe just Google it to find out.

keithh1981

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Re from webpage:

It is important to remember that this isn’t happening with all Reuleaux RX200s that use atomizers with connectors longer than 4.6mm. As with any mass produced vaping device, the tolerances will have variance. While there are certainly some people having issues with the Reuleax RX200 topped with a TFV4, there are also vapers that aren’t having any issues with the combination.

Like I said not everybody is having problems. I assume some people are like me who like their tanks tight on their mod and may give it an extra twist or 2 and I figure the people who don't have any problems just screw it till it stops turning for a loose yet still stable connection. That is my recommendation is to keep it loose and maybe out of your pockets when you are moving about so your cloths are not pushing the tank in and about while your walking/running.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Basically any tank can be used on any mod. If you happen to have a tank with a 510 connection longer than the travel of the 510 pin on your mod, you have some options. Don't screw it down all the way, use a spacer, or a heat-sink.

Edit I'm not saying that's what the OP should do or that a TFV4 is a great tank. He asked about it and said it's ok and also mentioned for tanks that use premade heads a Crown tank is/was also popular. Truth be told I only use RTA's and build my own coils. With the post above I'm just saying if you find yourself in a situation where your 510 on your tank is too long for your mod, there are options that are available.

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:

DP2Raja

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
That is my recommendation is to keep it loose and maybe out of your pockets when you are moving about so your cloths are not pushing the tank in and about while your walking/running.

Is that an RX200 in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me??? :sneaka:

I don't have a pocket large enough for my RX200...well at least not a pants pocket. Guess I should get some Dockers huh?

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Re from webpage:

It is important to remember that this isn’t happening with all Reuleaux RX200s that use atomizers with connectors longer than 4.6mm. As with any mass produced vaping device, the tolerances will have variance. While there are certainly some people having issues with the Reuleax RX200 topped with a TFV4, there are also vapers that aren’t having any issues with the combination.

Like I said not everybody is having problems. I assume some people are like me who like their tanks tight on their mod and may give it an extra twist or 2 and I figure the people who don't have any problems just screw it till it stops turning for a loose yet still stable connection. That is my recommendation is to keep it loose and maybe out of your pockets when you are moving about so your cloths are not pushing the tank in and about while your walking/running.

I had a little look online, and found it to also be the cuboid and Evic VTC mini with a short 510 connection.

Long story short, I found a thread somewhere, people are using washers on the RX200(a couple of 0.5MM washers-I didn't have any to hand so dremeled a 1MM guitar pick to size).

I think you are probably right, some people are screwing down all the way, and this may cause issues, I have never cranked down all the way, just until it feels tight, sometimes this does leave a gap though.

So, a spacer or even a heatsink would be a good idea for users of the RX200, if there is worry of damaging the mod from the TFV4 or tanks with longer threading.

I am a little annoyed this also applies to the Evolv powered version too, as that is probably my favourite device, so a heatsink shall be going on that as I do not want to damage it if possible.

SgtRock

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Making a spacer disk out of an old credit card works well for a spacer if needed. I had a few old Amazon gift cards laying around that work perfectly!

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have both the RX and the Ipv5. I just got the IPV5 the other day and this things a beast. I really like the IPV and I have always loved the Yihi chip. I would definitely take an IPV over an RX. It just vapes better. That being said I still love my RX. My RX is my all day, take fishing, leave in the car, go to the bar mod. The mod that I really don't care about because it's easily replaced and it vapes well. My only complaint about the IPV is I don't have a pre set for 316 SS only 304. Hopefully that will be handled in an update but for now I use the TCR setting.

The Vape Crusader

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just bought an RX200... the non-S version. Couldn't resist at $35, shipped free, US seller. Why not, right?

And I already got a 3 Li, no need for a 5 really. Got enough mods laying around!

SmilinVapor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It sounded like the OP pre-ordered, so I assume it is the "s" version. Supposedly it has an improved 510. So there may not be a problem with the TFV4.

VU Sponsors