Become a Patron!

Jimi's Daily Health Articles

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
New Cancer Treatment: Exercise

Since Sheryl Crow was diagnosed with Stage 1 breast cancer in 2006, the now 57-year-old has embraced a workout routine that led to recent headlines like, “Sheryl Crow's Secret to Killer Arms.”

Her favorite routine: “I have a rowing machine, and I knock out 20 to 45 minutes first thing in the morning. I enjoy burning through some of the mental steam that builds up, and I think exercise is really good for that.”

Clearly, Sheryl's come up with a prescription that works for her physical and mental health after having battled cancer.

And now science is backing her up. In new study published in CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, researchers from Penn State College of Medicine, in conjunction with the American College of Sports Medicine, say that exercise should be prescribed for everyone during cancer treatment and recovery.

That's because exercise can ease fatigue, anxiety, and depression; improve gait, balance, and strength; increase blood flow; boost mood and energy; and even reduce nausea.

In addition, it's been shown to improve survival rates for breast, colon, and prostate cancer, and it can help prevent secondary cancers.

Clear it with your surgeon/oncologist, then aim for 30 minutes of moderately intense aerobic exercise three times weekly and 20 to 30 minutes of resistance exercise twice weekly.

For help, get a prescription for a physical therapist who specializes in treating cancer patients and can tailor a workout routine to your abilities.

In addition, see if your hospital has shared medical appointments for post-cancer exercise, and work with your newfound friends to stay cancer-free.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
mail

Spots Are Filling Up!

Dear Reader,

A favorite nightly ritual for many Americans is suddenly under attack.

Research now shows there are over 70 additives and chemicals in many bottles of one of America’s most beloved luxuries, wine.

For years, we’ve been told a moderate amount is good for us, but the truth is winemakers are allowed to load additives in wine as part of the mass-production process. And the most shocking thing is, they don’t even have to declare them on the label!

But you can still pop a cork, enjoy a relaxing glass, and not have to take a single risk.

How?

This brand new docuseries, by legendary filmmaker, Jeff Hays and hosted by Dr. Patrick Gentempo that not only dives into the joy and richness of life that wine brings… it will also tell you the truth about the wine in your glass.

But hurry and register because the FREE viewing of this spectacular adventure is only available for a limited time during the holidays!

Click here to claim your free seat to watch Wine Revealed.

You’ll discover:

• The outrageous (yet legal) winemaking methods used in mass wine production.
  • Why you find it harder to handle your wine these days… and it has nothing to do with getting older.
  • How your taste buds may have been “brainwashed” and what you need to do to retrain them.
  • How to choose wines based on quality rather than marketing hype.
But hurry and register because the FREE viewing of this spectacular adventure is only available for a limited time during the holidays!

Claim your free spot here and find out more about the wine you love.

Sincerely,

Karen Reddel
Executive Producer
Hidden Within: The Science of Miracles

P.S. Wine Revealed is a never-been-done-before docuseries that will open your eyes to the joy, sense of community, and understanding about the wine you’re drinking.

Watch this series (for FREE) and improve, enrich and revolutionize your relationship with wine forever.

Sign up here to see the world premiere of Wine Revealed… from the creators who brought you the hugely successful Pain Revealed and Money Revealed.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
When having to eat at someone else's house for the holiday
this is how I feel you can navigate your holiday gatherings and still remain on track with your health:

• Offer to bring dishes to compliment your hosts dishes (like I am doing). This is especially important if you are gluten/dairy sensitive or are struggling with inflammation.
  • Eat before going to the gathering. This allows you to pick and choose what to eat while there and not be ravaged by the time you get home.
  • Let your host know which foods that you cannot eat and then offer to help them in cooking.
  • Host the gathering yourself and then create a wonderful fully aligned menu that everyone will enjoy.
Choosing to nourish yourself with healthy foods year round is part of loving yourself deeply.
Yes, it may just be a cookie...but the inflammatory response you have from it may cost you months of pain or anxiety. It's not worth it. Trust me.

You deserve to feel good!

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yup, and been mixing red onions and garlic with the carrots, then add pink salt and fresh ground pepper. Just don't get near anyone for a few hrs.....:oops:
Yeah, I know all about that, first time I used garlic in my juice I went with half a bulb and my wifey wouldn't even ride in the same vehicle with me, now she has gotten used to it I guess:giggle:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Awe thank you:hug:, it's slowly gettin back to to what I call normal, today I can almost make out this size letters with it and my glasses on. I've been worried about you lately my friend:hug:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
mail

Dr. David Brownstein, M.D., writes:

The slick commercials that promote proton pump inhibitors do not spend nearly enough time explaining their adverse effects.

As we learn and understand more about these medications, more problems are being revealed. Here's a partial list of adverse effects from taking PPIs:

Increased risk of heart attack. Studies have found a 58% higher risk of heart attacks in PPI users. This should come as no surprise, because it is well-known that PPIs cause deficiencies of vitamins and minerals that are crucial for optimal heart function.

Special: 4 Medical Doctors Made a Surprising Discovery

Increased risk of fractures. PPIs block acid production, which leads to poor digestion of nutrients, including minerals. This can result in poor bone mineralization and an increased fracture risk. Multiple studies have found a significantly higher risk of bone fractures with PPI use. And it doesn't take long-term use. Increased fracture risk with PPIs was found immediately after the drug began to be used.

Kidney failure. A new study found a 20% to 50% increased risk for developing chronic kidney disease in people who take a PPI. This same study found twice-daily dosing of a PPI was associated with a 46% higher risk of kidney failure. In addition, many people are placed on a PPI even after they have been told to take a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID), a type of medication that can also cause kidney problems. If you are taking an NSAID such as Motrin or Advil along with a PPI, you are at a much higher risk for developing kidney disease.

Vitamin B12 deficiency. Stomach acid is necessary for the body to break down vitamin B12 from food. Without adequate stomach acid, vitamin B12 will not be absorbed. Deficiency is common in people who take a PPI for longer than two months. Vitamin B12 deficiency can result in irreversible neuropathy, heart disease, and brain dysfunction. I discuss vitamin B12 deficiency in more detail in my book, Vitamin B12 for Health.

Dr. David Brownstein, M.D., editor of the Natural Way to Health newsletter, is a board-certified family physician and one of the nation’s foremost practitioners of holistic medicine. In addition to his practice, Dr. Brownstein has lectured internationally to physicians and is the author of six very popular books.

Dr. Brownstein: Eye-Opening NEW Vision Formula Protects Eyesight

Your Allergies Linked to Hidden Diseases, Conditions

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Awe thank you:hug:, it's slowly gettin back to to what I call normal, today I can almost make out this size letters with it and my glasses on. I've been worried about you lately my friend:hug:

Thank you, I appreciate you caring! :hug: I’ll be okay, it’s probably something I picked up eating in the City. I felt bad when I got home, like a sore throat was coming on. I ate at a “natural” place with my step mom. Yuch. I had a chicken salad, maybe that was it.

Ack, I was hoping your eye would be better by now. Did you use boric acid? Maybe try a pirate patch? Love you, my friend. :hug:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thank you, I appreciate you caring! :hug: I’ll be okay, it’s probably something I picked up eating in the City. I felt bad when I got home, like a sore throat was coming on. I ate at a “natural” place with my step mom. Yuch. I had a chicken salad, maybe that was it.

Ack, I was hoping your eye would be better by now. Did you use boric acid? Maybe try a pirate patch? Love you, my friend. :hug:

You're welcome, well of coarse I care:hug:, I hope that is all it is:hug: and that chicken salad sounds like a good candidate for food poisoning:eek:, I'm gonna keep an eye you;).

Yeah it's slow to heal due to being infected. yup I sure did use boric acid:). It's gettin a little better every day. Awe thank you, love you too my friend

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
One article two posts

Encounters With
The Humble Potato

Read this email carefully: this is not just another “newsletter”. Here is pathos, drama, tragedy and triumph… and here is sinful knowledge that doctors and phoneys would not like you to know!

I have a talk/lecture I trot out from time to time: FOODS CAN REALLY HURT YOU. In fact foods can put you in bed for years, keep you crippled for life (unless someone comes to the rescue), and work serious mischief that I can guarantee 99.99999% of doctors, chiros, DOs etc. will miss.

Because they really haven’t got the message. Foods can really hurt.

We are so used to the concept that foods nourish our bodies, it’s a real shock that many foods are not so friendly.

Oh sure, everybody knows that red beans need cooking long and hard, otherwise the whole family can end up in the emergency room. Everybody has heard of the nightshade family of foods… gluten sensitivity… casein allergy (except for raw milk, which doesn’t have any casein in it, obviously… PLEASE: I’m being ironic! Don’t write to me and tell me that there is casein in raw milk. I know that. Most of the world knows that. But the raw milk loonies believe nothing bad can come of raw milk, so long as it isn’t heated and so it can carry TB and Brucellosis!)

OK, I’m getting snarky. But honestly, the baloney out there is disheartening for someone who knows the score. And I DO know the score. I’ve been working this game for over 40 years.

Any food can do it. I’ll repeat: ANY FOOD. To listen to the ravings of self-styled experts you’d think it was all gluten and grains, or all lectins, or all animal products, or all GMOs. Not one of these “experts” has sat in front of 10,000 people and listened—really listened—to their stories and what they can teach us.

I thought I would take as an example the humble potato. You know: (Solanum tuberosum), annual plant in the nightshade family (Solanaceae), grown for its starchy edible tubers. Spuds, in other words; French fries; chips; mash; you name it. It’s got to be one of the most friendly foods there is. It kept the Irish nation going on love, song and poetry for centuries (no thanks to the British).

mail

But beware.

One of my patients, Iris, back in the early days, was badly crippled with arthritis. She could hardly walk. Her husband had been warned that she would need a wheelchair and he would have to give up work to tend to her. All very gloomy but just routine medicine, huh? Tragedy is what we do!

But in this case there was a lucky turn. I found she was severely allergic to potato and took her off it, completely (not the other nightshades, just potato). She recovered in just 2 weeks. It became a media cause celebre and I was suddenly the knight on a white horse! (This was about 1984.)

Iris went with a team of photographers and journalists to climb a mountain and be photographed at the top; a big challenge you’ll agree. In fact she beat all the troupe and was first to the top! I can’t find that article but I have the first feature that was done on her…

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Part Two

Fluke? No way. Take the young baby of 4 months (I forget his name but not his appearance). He was bloated (puffy) and plastered with eczema, his brief existence had been a terrible torment. He scratched till he bled. Parents had tried to restrain him but the little mite pulled his limbs free at night and went back to scratching. His sheets were covered in blood every morning.

The hospital had tried to help but there seemed little they could do, since at that time they did not believe in food allergies; “Mumby-jumbo” they called it and sniggered. The child was sent home with steroid creams, which were not helping and I think everyone expected the child to die. The parents were distraught and brought him to me.

Well, we did a food diary: what exactly was the child being fed? There was ONLY ONE repetitious daily food. Milk? Nah, it was potato!

I said it was the number one suspect and to stop him eating any more potato—and be very careful with infant formulas, where it could be hidden.

In the next 48 hours this little lad literally peed himself down to size; 2 or 3 litres of fluid came away through his tiny willy. The bloating vanished. The skin healed and was closed to the outside within 24 hours! It was an instant triumph… EXCEPT! …The parents still couldn’t believe it was potato. So, without telling me, they fed him another meal with potato… you can guess the result. The child’s skin erupted, he tore at it with his fingers and he was covered in blood yet again when I next saw him.

However, the parents were simple and good folk; they owned up to the experiment; everyone was happy I’d nailed the cause; he would never get to eat potato again.

Still thinking it’s rare? Let’s look at a lady who had very bad eczema. Yes, if you consult my writings in detail, you’ll see I have drawn a strong association between eczema and potato. Doctor pseuds call that “anecdotal” and it doesn’t mean anything, they say. Well, it means a lot to me and the torrent of lovely people who came past my desk in those exciting, pioneer years.

Anyway, back to the story. This lady had eczema so bad, she would wake up some days with her pajamas stuck to her. If she tried to peel off the garment, it would strip her skin from the flesh. For occasions like this she was given a special dispensation to just show up at ER, without an appointment, and they would soak her jammies off, clean her up and send her home with some more steroid creams.

Lord knows why: the fact she kept turning up every couple of weeks should have alerted any intelligent doctor to the fact the creams were not working!

Well, you will already have guessed it was potato… and it was. Result: stop eating potato; eczema GONE! Incidentally, potato was the ONLY allergy in that case.

So is it all skin stuff, hives (urticaria), eczema and the like?

No. One lady suffered with extreme depression for over 20 years. That turned out to be potato too. As I was finalizing the test, at the same moment the husband was at home peeling 3 lbs. of potatoes, which they ate every day.

In my writings I talk a lot about the fact that a person tends to get hooked on their allergy foods. It’s an addiction to the very thing that is making them ill.

Yes, she recovered within a week and threw out all her meds.

I had a patient who reacted to a pretty nice vitamin and mineral formula. I took it myself. But she got suicidally depressed. It turned out that potato shavings were the starch used to bind the pills and, yes, she was allergic to potato.

Any more? Yes, hundreds more. Let me just mention a wonderful executive businessman, Ron I think. He had chronic rhinitis; he’d had it for well over twenty years. A test showed a reaction to potato. My first wife and I were both in his presence when he sniffed through his nostrils for the first time in twenty plus years!

That was a smile to remember!

Last quick tip, before I get to the point: many people report having very itchy skin on their hands when they peel raw potatoes. But they eat the potatoes anyway! WHAT? It’s crazy, I know. But people often just don’t think things through: if it’s inflaming your hands, what is it doing to the rest of your body when you swallow it?

So, What Is The Point?
Nothing heavy. I’m just reprogramming my “Diet Wise” book approach and I am going to launch a whole program called “One Diet For Life” (actually OneDiet4Life).

It’s a journey I think everyone should make, at least once in their lifetime. Find out which foods your body likes and which ones your body HATES. You know what to do when you find your bandit foods! I can guide you through this. You’ll love it when it launches.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
One Article Two Posts

Astounding News
about Aspirin and Cancer

The evidence for taking aspirin to prevent cancer has been building for decades. The US Preventive Task Force advises people in their 50s to take low-dose aspirin to prevent colorectal cancer.

But can we really trust this recommendation? My readers know that drugs are always a last resort, as far as I’m concerned, and taking an anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) every day for life sounds especially dangerous.

Let’s take a close look to see if aspirin really works to prevent colorectal cancer -- or any cancer at all. . .

Aspirin does cut colorectal cancer deaths by 40%

In 2014, research led by Professor Jack Cuzick, head of the Center for Cancer Prevention at Queen Mary University of London, studied low-dose aspirin as a preventive for colorectal cancer.

Professor Cuzick found low-dose aspirin does prevent this type of cancer. At the end of his research he concluded that if men and women aged 50 to 64 took low-dose aspirin every day for ten years it would cut the incidence of colorectal cancer by 35 percent and reduce deaths from colorectal cancer by 40 percent. He published his study in the journal Annals of Oncology.

Aspirin reduces risk of other cancers, too

During this study Professor Cuzick looked at aspirin’s effects on preventing other cancers as well. He found similar reductions in cancer occurrence in the same 50 to 64 aged group, taking the same low-dose aspirin every day for ten years.

For example, taking low-dose aspirin cut the incidence of esophageal cancers by 30 percent, and esophageal cancer deaths by 50 percent; cut the incidence of stomach cancers by 30 percent and stomach cancer deaths by 35 percent; reduced the incidence of lung cancer five percent and lung cancer deaths by 15 percent; reduced the incidence of breast and prostate cancers by ten percent and deaths by breast and prostate cancer five and ten percent respectively.

These findings are significant and led Professor Cuzick to proclaim that taking aspirin "looks to be the most important thing we can do to reduce cancer after stopping smoking and reducing obesity...My personal advice would be that everyone 50 to 64 should consider taking aspirin."1

It sounds like a slam dunk, but actually there are some problems with taking aspirin daily. I’ll get to those in a moment. First, let’s allow the advocates finish making their case. . .

Other researchers have found similar results…

In 2017 the largest study yet undertaken -- involving 600,000 people -- found that taking aspirin every day for seven years on average lowered the risk of developing a range of cancers. The effect was especially strong for cancers within the digestive tract.2

Another study that also included 600,000 people was published in the International Journal of Cancer in July this year. It found aspirin users compared to non-users had a significant reduction in cancers of the liver, stomach, colorectum, lung, pancreas, esophagus and for leukemia.3

In addition, the research shows aspirin can also help people who already have cancer.

Aspirin reduces cancer patient’s risk of death by 37%

In 2012, two papers published in the Lancet suggested that low-dose aspirin could be effective in improving outcomes in cancer patients.

The first paper analyzed data from 51 randomized clinical trials. Daily low doses of aspirin reduced the risk of death from cancer by 15 percent. This reduction in risk improved over time, reaching 37 percent for those on aspirin for five years and more.

Plus, low-dose aspirin appeared to reduce the incidence of new cancers in patients who already had cancer. After only three years taking low-dose aspirin, the incidence of new cancers dropped by 23 percent in men and 25 percent in women.

The second paper collected data on five large randomized trials to see if aspirin had any effect on the spread, or metastasis, of cancer to other organs—and it did.

Aspirin reduces the spread of certain cancers by 36%

In this research, aspirin reduced the risk of cancer metastasis by 36 percent over six-and-a-half-years on average.

Professor Peter Rothwell of the University of Oxford, England, led the research, saying, "In terms of preventing spread of cancer, the data suggest that the effect is largest in adenocarcinomas. These include cancers of the gut, particularly colorectal cancer, some cancers of the lung and most cancers of the breast and prostate.

"In terms of preventing the longer-term development of new cancers, the largest reductions are seen in risk of colorectal cancer and esophageal cancer, with smaller effects on several other common cancers."4

A later review from researchers at Cardiff University, Wales, in which aspirin was included in cancer treatment, concluded that "Reductions in mortality are shown in colon cancer, probably in prostate cancer and possibly in breast, and individual studies of several other cancers also suggest benefit."5

Even pharmaceutical companies are betting on aspirin’s anti-cancer benefits.

http://links.cancerdefeated.com/a/2...8174/b9540c2daefda921a581c3a33476277f8e98abc1

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Part Two

New proprietary aspirin breakthrough for brain cancer

Currently researchers are studying a new aspirin formulation, called IP1867B, which combines a liquid form of aspirin with the sweetener saccharin and triacetin, a food additive, in the treatment of brain tumors.

In a study in mice implanted with cells from highly aggressive human brain tumors, IP1867B was able to cross the blood brain barrier and reduce epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) whose activity enhances tumor growth, invasion, and metastasis.

It also blocked insulin-like growth factor 1, which prevents the tumor from acquiring resistance to EGFR inhibitors. In addition, it cleared prostaglandins surrounding the tumor. This renders the tumor visible to the immune system, allowing immunotherapy drugs to do their job to attack and reduce the size of the tumors.

Dr. James Stuart, medical director at Innovate Pharmaceuticals in the UK where the drug was developed, commented:

"Our work on multiple disease areas in the cancer field has shown that hitting a number of targets with IP1867B allows us to not only shrink tumors, but unmask them allowing other therapies to attack them.

"This action of ‘turning cold tumors hot’ alongside the reversal of acquired resistance, boosting combination efficacy and a possible lowering of side effect burden makes IP1867B a true breakthrough in cancer treatment."6

Overall, the evidence seems overwhelming and impressive. It makes me wonder how aspirin works to achieve these astounding results? The key appears to be its active ingredient.

Aspirin is born out of an ancient remedy

Before there was aspirin, there was willow bark. For thousands of years healers turned to willow bark for relief from aches, pains, and fever. Willow bark’s active ingredient is salicylic acid, which inspired the development of aspirin -- acetylsalicylic acid -- about 120 years ago.

Even though aspirin is an old drug, scientists still don’t fully understand how it produces its effects. Several theories suggest aspirin works against the development of cancer in the following ways:

Anti-inflammatory - Inflammation plays a critical role in tumor formation, growth, and metastasis. Aspirin shuts down COX2, the protein that changes arachidonic acid, an omega 6 fatty acid, into prostaglandins which promote inflammation.7 Interestingly, prostaglandins also promote cellular growth, help blood vessels grow and lower the ability of cells to die off (apoptosis). All these factors contribute to tumor growth.

Anti-platelet - In the 1970s, scientists discovered that aspirin helps protect people at high risk of heart attack by helping thin the blood. Platelets are responsible for blood clotting but also travel to areas of the body experiencing inflammation. Cancer cells can piggyback on blood platelets to help spread the disease. Aspirin is able to block a protein called COX1. By doing so it reduces the number and stickiness of platelets in the blood, reducing the ability of cancer cells to grow and spread.8

Anti-Wnt - The Wnt signaling pathway plays numerous roles in normal tissue growth and development.

Abnormal Wnt signaling leads to cells growing out of control and has been strongly linked to skin, breast, bone marrow, and colon cancers. Aspirin appears to modulate Wnt signaling at multiple levels to reduce unnatural cellular growth.9

Activates AMPK - Aspirin has been shown to increase the protein AMPK, a key player in regulating cell growth and metabolism. AMPK has recently emerged as a potential tumor suppressor and target for cancer prevention.10

Blocks PGE2 - Some types of tumors produce large amounts of the prostaglandin PGE2. This hampers the immune system's targeting of faulty cells, allowing cancer to escape attack. Aspirin stops the production of PGE2. This removes the tumor's protective barrier, allowing the full power of the immune system to fight cancer.11

So, everyone should take low-dose aspirin then? If only it were that simple…

Aspirin comes with risks

Dr. Julie Sharp, head of health information at Cancer Research UK, warned,"Aspirin is showing promise in preventing certain types of cancer, but it's vital that we balance this with the complications it can cause – such as bleeding, stomach ulcers, or even strokes in some people."12

The cancer prevention picture is further complicated by two recent studies.

Reviewing the first study, David Kerr, professor of cancer medicine at the University of Oxford, said, "They found that subjects taking low-dose aspirin who were under 154 pounds had real possibility of harm—an increased incidence of early cancer. This is particularly pronounced in those patients who are more than 70 years old.

"As we grow older, liver function deteriorates, and therefore we clear drugs less effectively. This could potentially underlie what is happening. We need more mechanistic work to understand this better."

On the second study he adds, the researchers "showed that in an elderly patient population, which had been somewhat understudied in the past, low-dose aspirin brings harm. The majority of that harm is caused by an increased incidence rate of cancer in the patients who were exposed to low-dose aspirin."

Study authors concluded that "a one-dose-fits-all approach to aspirin is unlikely to be optimal, and a more tailored strategy is required."13

The debate about whether aspirin should be taken at all, and if so, by what particular groups of people, in what dose and over what length of time is likely to continue for years.

As impressive as some of the evidence is, I’m not thrilled by the idea of taking aspirin every day. Drugs almost always have unforeseen negative consequences. And it’s almost always the case that you find out too late.

NSAIDs including aspirin and ibuprofen are simply not safe.

I take quite a few natural anti-inflammatories myself, such as turmeric and boswellia. I can’t say whether they’re as effective as aspirin appears to be, but they’re safe. If you’ve already had cancer, it might be a different story. You might consider taking low-dose aspirin to keep it from spreading or from returning.

VU Sponsors