Become a Patron!

Kayfun [Lite] 2019 Thread...

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If I take my fingers, I can easily slip that O ring up over the hexagon part, but I don't believe it happens when tightening the deck, or it would leak and mess up the AF
Maybe I had that right all along, but that would mean that the deck threads would have to terminate just so before crushing the o-ring or you'd have to leave it loose. It didn't seem like either one of those could be the case. I need to do some specific testing for that.
The o-ring you're talking about butts up against the bottom of the hexagonal portion of the pin. This vid should help you assemble it.
I actually watched that video a few times before it even got here and went through it slowly today before posting my frustrations. I couldn't see the parts that were in question for me well enough to tell. In Todd's video, he showed how that o-ring in the base comes off sometimes when disassembling it, but it looked like his had a recessed channel for the o-ring.

@~Don~ @R3alJim Shady @dubya314

In the next day or so, I'll try n get detailed pics of all this stuff. I really do appreciate your guys help.

If the af plug would have just gone in, none of this probably would have been a problem. I pulled it apart quickly thinking it should be no problem going back together so I didn't pay attention when taking it apart.

I had probably a good 3 hours of video time under my best before it got here.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh yeah. I have the last spare nylon plug in there which worked fine after my friend ran the tap through it. Must have just been a one off bad tap/threading job. I have 5 of the SS ones (I think he said they're SS) as spares. 18 cents a piece. Their coated, but they carry no current. Same exact size as the stock nylon ones.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh yeah. I have the last spare nylon plug in there which worked fine after my friend ran the tap through it. Must have just been a one off bad tap/threading job. I have 5 of the SS ones (I think he said they're SS) as spares. 18 cents a piece. Their coated, but they carry no current. Same exact size as the stock nylon ones.
I'm shocked that SvoeMesto would use a nylon screw like that when a SS one would work so much better and be more durable.

I knew that going in, obviously, but it's still a bone head move. Don't forget that Teflon tape! I know they improved the screw at one point to help with condensation and such seeping throw the airflow pin, but better safe than sorry

All atties have their shortcomings and although I'm sorry to see you struggle with this one, I'm glad your enjoying the vape. Once you get it sorted I'm sure you'll be very happy with it!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I actually don't really mind the idea of the nylon af inserts. They'll seal better and they do give you three. Extras are cheap too. 3 for 5 bucks.

What was killin me was the dirty threads in the pin. Once I got the threads cleaned up the undamaged one I had left works fine. I'll put in one of the metal ones I got when this one wears out. These are allen heads.

Take a look at this still from Todd's review. It looked to me, probably in concert with some assumption on my part, like the o-ring was sitting in a machined recessed circular channel.
==================================
base-ring.JPG
Now that I look closer, I can see the shadow and his is just sitting in there too. That o-ring does not fit snugly around the pin below the airflow hole. That threw me off too. It just kinda hangs on there. I assumed again that that just couldn't be the way it was supposed to fit. I wondered if they accidentally packed the wrong rings or something. Apparently that IS how it's supposed to work. :)

@dubya314 I just checked the authenticity for the heck of it really. Excerpt for the threads in the pin, the build quality is superb. As good as it gets. I just figured it coudn't hurt to check because of this stuff I had in my mind about how it was supposed to be. Apparently in this case, binge video research didn't prepare me as well as I thought it had. None of things I was encountering were directly talked about in the videos though either.

Last edited:

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I actually don't really mind the idea of the nylon af inserts. They'll seal better and they do give you three. Extras are cheap too. 3 for 5 bucks.

What was killin me was the dirty threads in the pin. Once I got the threads cleaned up the undamaged one I had left works fine. I'll put in one of the metal ones I got when this one wears out. These are allen heads.

Take a look at this still from Todd's review. It looked to me, probably in concert with some assumption on my part, like the o-ring was sitting in a machined recessed circular channel.
View attachment 164193
Now that I look closer, I can see the shadow and his is just sitting in there too. That o-ring does not fit snugly around the pin below the airflow hole. That threw me off too. It just kinda hangs on there. I assumed again that that just couldn't be the way it was supposed to fit. I wondered if they accidentally packed the wrong rings or something. Apparently that IS how it's supposed to work. :)

@dubya314 I just checked the authenticity for the heck of it really. Excerpt for the threads in the pin, the build quality is superb. As good as it gets. I just figured it coudn't hurt to check because of this stuff I had in my mind about how it was supposed to be. Apparently in this case, binge video research didn't prepare me as well as I thought it had. None of things I was encountering were directly talked about in the videos though either.
Now I get what you meant by seated gor that O ring, but yup, just sits there. I have replaced that on many of mine. Good that it doesn't seat, imo, because I found any ole ones at work that were not perfect, but work just fine.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So you resolved the insulator/airflow height/pin length issue too?
I'm still not entirely certain about that part. Let me ask this. Did you guys get two of those L insulator rings that go under the deck? Like I was talking about? One that goes in a deeper channel and one in a shallower channel? That did not come up even once in any of the videos.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm still not entirely certain about that part. Let me ask this. Did you guys get two of those L insulator rings that go under the deck? Like I was talking about? One that goes in a deeper channel and one in a shallower channel? That did not come up even once in any of the videos.
I don't remember those, but I also never broke mine down that far.

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The important thing is that it IS the best mtl vape I've ever had.

Oh yeah. I like the bottom fill myself.
Now that's great to hear! I kinda thought and hoped. I have tried quite a few mtl rta's, this is the one for me, for sure. I also like the bottom fill. I have top fill sections for many of mine, only leave it on one.

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Not sure what you mean?

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Now I get what you meant by seated gor that O ring, but yup, just sits there. I have replaced that on many of mine. Good that it doesn't seat, imo, because I found any ole ones at work that were not perfect, but work just fine.
Maybe I overdid it in my own mind, but that messed me up man LOL!I was like "there is NO way this is how this is supposed fit. I even wondered if this specimen escaped unfinished without the channel that I was convinced was supposed to be there. .

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Maybe I overdid it in my own mind, but that messed me up man LOL!I was like "there is NO way this is how this is supposed fit. I even wondered if this specimen escaped unfinished without the channel that I was convinced was supposed to be there. .
The ones I put on are a tad fatter, so pin doesn't protrude so far. But that really doesn't matter either since they sit flush

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not sure what you mean?
I got 2 different sizes of these. The top of the pin goes up through it and it insulates the positive pin from the negative deck. There are two steps of depth in the bottom of deck. One for each size.
20200703_163626_cr.jpg

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I got 2 different sizes of these. The top of the pin goes up through it and it insulates the positive pin from the negative deck. There are two steps of depth in the bottom of deck. One for each size.
View attachment 164199
I would have to check, not sure. That sits in the bottom where the deck screws into then? I have noticed some of my clones have one there and others do not. Always wondered that.

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
View attachment 164199
I have two examples right here. One on the left has it, one on the right does not. Also metal scrrew in the left, teflon in the right. Never looked for spares, just been using them that way
15938092722411416074562.jpg

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would have to check, not sure. That sits in the bottom where the deck screws into then? I have noticed some of my clones have one there and others do not. Always wondered that.
I'd have to take my deck out of my base to show you and it's all set and juicy. I don't want to move the coil while unscrewing it. Lemme see if I can dig up a pic.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That white thing there. I got the two I mentioned above. If you unscrew the pin, that piece comes out and there's two recessed levels in there. One channel for each size of that insulator.
insulator base.JPG

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have two examples right here. One on the left has it, one on the right does not. Also metal scrrew in the left, teflon in the right. Never looked for spares, just been using them that way
View attachment 164200
Those must be clones. It looks like you have the smaller one that goes in the deeper channel in the gold one and bigger one that goes in the shallower channel in the blue one. It seems like mine protruded farther than that.

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That white thing there. I got the two I mentioned above. If you unscrew the pin, that piece comes out and there's there two recessed levels in there. One channel for each size of that insulator.
View attachment 164201
Oh, different piece. Idk about that. Could check my boxes, and decks as they need to come apart.

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That white thing there. I got the two I mentioned above. If you unscrew the pin, that piece comes out and there's there two recessed levels in there. One channel for each size of that insulator.
View attachment 164201
Oh, different piece. Idk about that. Could check my boxes, and decks as they need to come apart.

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Those must be clones. It looks like you have the smaller one that goes in the deeper channel in the gold one and bigger one that goes in the shallower channel in the blue one. It seems like mine protruded farther than that.
Yes, clones, and they are all a little different. Idk what's what, I believe I have 4 different clone companies for 11 attys, lol.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This was not so much as hinted at, not that I can remember, in any of the numerous videos i scoured while waiting for it to get here. First I ever knew of it's existence was when I opened the box.

The closeup pic above is my larger one that was in my box. The other one obviously is in the tank.

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This was not so much as hinted at, not that I can remember, in any of the numerous videos i scoured while waiting for it to get here. First I ever knew of it's existence was when I opened the box.

The closeup pic above is my larger one that was in my box. The other one obviously is in the tank.
Hmm, don't know nothing about it, odd. I'll check mine out over time. Wish I had an authentic to check, lol.....

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That white thing there. I got the two I mentioned above. If you unscrew the pin, that piece comes out and there's two recessed levels in there. One channel for each size of that insulator.
View attachment 164201
I would assume they all have to have one in there, just no idea why you would get two different ones.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would assume they all have to have one in there, just no idea why you would get two different ones.
Ya know what? I wonder if they slipped out a revised version when nobody was looking or something. I was just checking a bunch of vendor sites and I don't see that insulator size option anywhere.

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ya know what? I wonder if they slipped out a revised version when nobody was looking or something. I was just checking a bunch of vendor sites and I don't see that insulator size option anywhere.
What would be the advantages/disadvantages to the different ones that you could see?

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What would be the advantages/disadvantages to the different ones that you could see?
The only purpose I can see is the ability to bring the pin up and down inside the deck. Unless I'm missing something.

All I know is that they gave me 2 insulator rings of different sizes and they both fit in the different countersunk channels in bottom of the deck? Outta nowhere. No sign of their existence until I opened this box ?

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't know if anybody else will find this as interesting as I do, but here is the whole deal

These are the two underdeck insulators I got with this tank. The smaller one was installed and the larger one was in the bag.
insulators.jpg
======================================================================

This is the underside of the deck that accommodates said insulators. You see those steps in there.
steps.jpg
=====================================================================

Here is the pin in the deck with the smaller/deeper one that came installed.
deep deck.jpg
======================================================================

Here is the bottom of the pin with the smaller/deeper one that came installed.
deep pin.jpg

The bottom of the deck with the smaller/deeper one.
deep in.jpg

Now here is the deck with the larger/shallower one.
shallow deck.jpg

The bottom of the pin with the larger/shallower one.
shallow pic.jpg

The bottom of the deck with the larger/shallower one.
shallow channel_cr.jpg

It must be out there somewhere, but I cannot find any pic of any parts bag or any video where this option exists except mine.

I hope this helps explain some of my confusion and frustration when I first got it. None of the reading or watching I'd done mentioned any of this at all.

I have no idea.

Last edited:

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That o-ring is way to freaking big, it should hug the pin a bit I thought.
Also, the smaller, shallower insulator is the one to use. The pin sticking out that far in from the base/threading looks normal to me.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Can't say I have!
Weird right? Like I say, It passes the authenticity check on the Svoe Mesto site.

How this started for me was that as soon as I got it, I took it all apart and put the parts in the box. When I went to put it back together I poured the spares bag into the box as well going after the af plug.

Not knowing that there were two different size insulators there, I randomly grabbed the larger shallower one and wound up with the bottom of the 510 sticking out like that, which didn't look right. When I realized the other one was a different size, I put IT in and then saw the top of the pin sticking up into the deck, which at the time looked weird to me too. It turns out that's how it's supposed to be.

Then comes the oversized o-ring which easily slips up over the af in the pin and I didn't know what to think about the whole situation at that point. "WHAT AM I MISSING HERE!!" Looked so simple in the videos.

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'd assume it was a pin to use on a hybrid mech... KHW did similar with an extended 510 pin, then made it part of production on later units

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'd assume it was a pin to use on a hybrid mech... KHW did similar with an extended 510 pin, then made it part of production on later units
That would explain it, but it would be jist peechy keen if they would let somebody know if so. :wait:

Just for clarity's, it's the same pin but a different depth insulator that moves the pin up and down in relation to the rest of the tank.

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That would explain it, but it would be jist peechy keen if they would let somebody know if so. :wait:

Just for clarity's, it's the same pin but a different depth insulator that moves the pin up and down in relation to the rest of the tank.
Yeah KHWs was the same pin, just a different length isolator

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I agree on the O ring, that is not the one that should be in there. Should be a lot more snug than that. Also agree on the insulator, but why? Pin sticks out plenty far with the shorter one in?

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I agree on the O ring, that is not the one that should be in there. Should be a lot more snug than that. Also agree on the insulator, but why? Pin sticks out plenty far with the shorter one in?
I stopped asking why German engineers do things... Each time I look at my 535i Msport I am like, WHY, WHY... then like a year later I come across some other person on BimmerForums asking and Boom the reason was presented lol... then I go, well that makes sense

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I stopped asking why German engineers do things... Each time I look at my 535i Msport I am like, WHY, WHY... then like a year later I come across some other person on BimmerForums asking and Boom the reason was presented lol... then I go, well that makes sense
Well they can engineer the hell outta a bratwurst, that's all I know :giggle:

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I agree on the O ring, that is not the one that should be in there. Should be a lot more snug than that.
I have zillions of o-rings and I intend to buy a spares kit anyway. Can be had for 5. Not a huge deal, but also not something you'd expect from a company like Svoe Mesto Anybody can make a mistake. even with the threads. I've made boneheaded human mistakes in my day too.
Also agree on the insulator, but why? Pin sticks out plenty far with the shorter one in?
It does stick out plenty far already. In fact perfect. Now that I know what's what, it's not hard to work around the pin sticking up into the deck either. If I really wanted to i could grind the top off a hair.

You can easily secure the coils around the outside of the of the posts too the way they designed the posts. That's brilliant the way they thought of that. Works great. Super secure and no resistance issues at all. I made a single core 29/37 Ni80 2.5 for it.

In the end you were right. This is hands down the best mtl vape I've ever experienced. As much as I love the Asvape Zeta, this is a noticeable step up. As I said last night. I don't hold the thread issue, and there definitely was one, against them. Their reputation is wide and long standing. I just got the odd one that slipped through. Actually some people were saying the post screws were a LITTLE rough at first and mine are perfect.

Svoe Mesto needs to make a Kayfun BB rba. I can't believe they haven't.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh yeah baby! This coil took it up another notch. Single core 29/37 Ni80 2.5. 1.2 ohms. Magnificent.

I had a simple kanthal micro in there before. 20200704_122331_cr.jpg

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Going all in huh?
You know how it goes.
I wanted a spares kit and while I'm there I'm thinking, "might as well grab a long mode kit now if you're ever going to". Then it's like "well, the af grubs are pretty cheap, may as well throw those in too." The pin was a little more than other places, but i wanted to try it and makes no sense not to grab that too since I'm already ordering this other stuff. :wait:

The intense quality of the mtl vape from this tank can't be denied. It IS what people say it is.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You know how it goes.
I wanted a spares kit and while I'm there I'm thinking, "might as well grab a long mode kit now if you're ever going to". Then it's like "well, the af grubs are pretty cheap, may as well throw those in too." The pin was a little more than other places, but i wanted to try it and makes no sense not to grab that too since I'm already ordering this other stuff. :wait:

The intense quality of the mtl vape from this tank can't be denied. It IS what people say it is.
Yep. I have plenty of other high(er) end RTAs, but the Kayfun vape quality is legendary for a reason.

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You know how it goes.

Oh yeah, I know how it goes. It really is, I have recommended it to many, none of which were disappointed I don't think. Some of which it is all they use. Just don't go thinking the V4 or V5 is worth a shot. THEY ARE NOT, lol. I still say unless you are stuck on the looks, long mode is definitely the way to go. Interested to hear about that XS pin.

PaulS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yep. I have plenty of other high(er) end RTAs, but the Kayfun vape quality is legendary for a reason.

I have three Kayfuns. They vape nicely. But the Dvarw is better and the new cheaper Pioneer is as good. Not knocking Kayfuns. I use all of mine - mini V3, Prime and Light.

VU Sponsors