Become a Patron!

Latest purchase thread

Doomsday Vaper

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
An exam at the opthalmologist and some new eyeglasses! If you don't wear glasses or contacts, you might not understand the exclamation point.

I'll be happy as hell to be able to see properly again.

Ordered a style I've ordered before from eyebuydirect.com, in a different color. Cost about 1/3 what they'd cost at a retail store. I wear progressive lenses and they are EXPENSIVE.
Wife and I ordered from Zenni optical last time. Worked out well.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Got this singing mascot money box. Put a coin in and it sings the club song with its mouth moving. 😁
20210402_113605(1).jpg
They are playing this afternoon so each goal they get im putting a coin in.
Im wondering how many quarters of the game we get through watching till my misses yells ....
"WOULD YOU PLEASE STOP DOING THAT AND SHUT THAT IDIOT THING UP!?"
images.jpeg

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Wife and I ordered from Zenni optical last time. Worked out well.
Hubs and I have been ordering from Zenni for years. Can't beat the price and ordering is simple.
We're getting exams next week. Been 5yrs.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
the link you put up's not working..
I need glasses
{{ need a proper eye exam first}}
YET i need glasses so always looking...{ or at least trying to }

Can you see it now? I did just a copy and paste instead of using the "Insert Image" tool.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Had to buy a new phone. My old Samsung S4 won't run a couple of new apps that are updating that I need for work.
I've had this S4 since 2014 and it has never given me any problems. The factory battery even lasted up till last spring.
I hope the new IPhone 11 I ordered today is as durable. Got it for a song from a Verizon store for $375. Tried selling me a 12, but no thanks. Too much coin for me.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Had to buy a new phone. My old Samsung S4 won't run a couple of new apps that are updating that I need for work.
I've had this S4 since 2014 and it has never given me any problems. The factory battery even lasted up till last spring.
I hope the new IPhone 11 I ordered today is as durable. Got it for a song from Verizon. Tried selling me a 12, but no thanks. Too much coin for me.

You bought a Black Box and there is Nothing you can repair yourself. Right To Repair~!

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
You bought a Black Box and there is Nothing you can repair yourself. Right To Repair~!
I hear you man but what can you do.
A friend of mine runs a big farm and he deals with the same shit. John Deere has the farm equipment so locked down he can't do any repairs . He can't get access to any repair manuals in print or online.
What a crock of shit.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I hear you man but what can you do.
A friend of mine runs a big farm and he deals with the same shit. John Deere has the farm equipment so locked down he can't do any repairs . He can't get access to any repair manuals in print or online.
What a crock of shit.

Do a little research someone got a hold of some Hacked Information and now Farmers can get a hold of the Diagnostic Software. I have been following this for years and when I was in the Automotive Repair Industry I had to wait years to get a Catalytic Converter for a customer. Honda wouldn't release he Specs for the aftermarket and what they wanted was insane.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
A simple sensor replacement requires the Computer to see the new part and a $50 repair, now costs Thousands in Trucking the machine back or a Service Tech to make a Service call. There is now a way around it~!

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
A simple sensor replacement requires the Computer to see the new part and a $50 repair, now costs Thousands in Trucking the machine back or a Service Tech to make a Service call. There is now a way around it~!
He may have that info now.
I haven't seen him since the harvest last year. Think I'll give him a call to see.
Thanks Steve

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
7378a635e855d6b282ea353bc2ff616e.jpg

Birthday present to myself

Sent from my iPhone 12 Pro Max using Tapatalk

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Ordered another pair of glasses. Should be here tomorrow!
(These aren't shades, they're just regular untinted lenses in some frames I really liked)
Also bought a way-too-expensive phone and Otter Box for my son. At least I've got sense enough to get insurance on the damn thing.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Bought birthday gifts for my daughter and one of my granddaughters, tops and hoodies from Old Navy. Flip flops too for the granddaughter in Arizona.

Have a grandson with a birthday on the 29th, so will need to start looking for a present for him, too.

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I just bought a 34" lamp for between the recliners. This way we can see/talk to each other without the shade being in the way.
And a new 8'x10' rug will be delivered Monday. Oh, and I'm loading up my Birthday Wish List cart at Amazon for my b'day on the 26th.

1628737005348.png 1628737057906.png

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I just bought a 34" lamp for between the recliners. This way we can see/talk to each other without the shade being in the way.
And a new 8'x10' rug will be delivered Monday. Oh, and I'm loading up my Birthday Wish List cart at Amazon for my b'day on the 26th.

View attachment 185108 View attachment 185109
Nice rug! Like that you have wooden floors. If our place was ours we would not ever have wall to wall carpet. I loathe here having wall to wall fixed carpet and always have. Just rugs like that are the go on wood or tiles. 👍

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I wish- lol
it is a 2014 Cadillac SRX- I did buy it new in 2014 my 1st new car ever!
I did own a few muscle cars in the past- '68 Firebird convertible and a '85 1/2 Trans Am
Traded our 20 year old '96 Harley Nostalgia for a '93 Cadillac Allante Convertible a few years ago, still own and drive that today.

View attachment 179103View attachment 179104

I know I'm responding to an old post, but I don't remember seeing it at the time.

I always wanted a dark blue Sedan de Ville with blue velour upholstery, about a 1990, when they were square-ish and quite a bit smaller than the older models. Like this:

1635091670325.png

I'd still buy one if I could find one in good shape. Had a 90 Olds 98 Regency Brougham, which was almost the same car, except had that exceptional General Motors 3800-series V6 engine in it. Ran it into the ground and was very upset when I finally had to give it up after the overdrive gear went kaput.

And my latest purchase? And ask me, am I excited about such a little thing? Hell yeah, I am. Bought an Old World Christmas miniature blue parakeet ornament off eBay. I haven't put up a Christmas tree in two years, but I'm gonna, this year. Have almost enough OWC ornaments to cover the tree in them. I've been addicted to the things for years, ever since my first trip into a "Christmas Mouse" store in Williamsburg.

1635094104170.png

I LOVE Christmas trees!

Last edited:

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
I LOVE Christmas trees!

Always wanted a Cadillac- my hubby is a tradesman at GM used the GM discount and was able to finally be able to afford one, used some of my retirement money too. My 2014 SRX is still running great after 7 years!

I love Christmas trees and collect decorations too, love your glass bird by the way. Last year I bought a smaller tree from Family Dollar and decorated that with Family Dollar decorations, since no kids and grandkids , aunts and uncles came for Christmas because of Covid. NY was strict on celebrations-
This is a picture of last years Covid Christmas tree-

20201207_171829.jpg

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Always wanted a Cadillac- my hubby is a tradesman at GM used the GM discount and was able to finally be able to afford one, used some of my retirement money too. My 2014 SRX is still running great after 7 years!

I love Christmas trees and collect decorations too, love your glass bird by the way. Last year I bought a smaller tree from Family Dollar and decorated that with Family Dollar decorations, since no kids and grandkids , aunts and uncles came for Christmas because of Covid. NY was strict on celebrations-
This is a picture of last years Covid Christmas tree-

View attachment 187236

I love that tree! The dark red and green looks great with the white! I had a small white tree at work, but when my coworkers packed up my office, I told them whoever wanted the tree and decorations could have them. They have a tradition there of putting things on the counter in the break room for anyone who wants it to pick up, so that's what they did (unless someone directly involved in packing wanted it, I really don't know).

I love the reindeer. A few years back I found a dozen lightweight wooden reindeer made of balsa wood on eBay. I spray-painted them white on both sides, then sprayed them with glitter, and they made beautiful ornaments. They are much smaller than your reindeer, though, only about 2.25" tall. I also have some Italian blown glass ornaments my therapist friend gave me one year, they are little teapots in different colors, and I love those, too.

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
I really like your place, and the driveway looks great. Is that a Japanese maple tree right in the center of the pic?
Thanks on the driveway, house has been a work in progress- I was so embarrassed on the old driveway- ugh! We put all the concrete walkways around 10 years ago. We have been at this house since '95
On the right is a flowering dogwood- on the left is a huge Japanese Maple- only things I left in the gardens- ripped out all the overgrown bushes and planted all the front plantings myself- lots of work but I love gardening.

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
I love that tree! The dark red and green looks great with the white!
All the ornaments and garland on this cheap white tree are silver and gold- I always wanted a white tree and saw this for $15.00 at Family Dollar- they had a silver tree years ago- I should have bought that when I saw it- would love a silver tree too.
I have a huge heavy tree too- over 7ft- weighs about 100lbs- I have to carry a few pieces up at a time- then a huge container full of funny, silly ornaments- like santa and a flamingo- pigs wearing high heels, lots of frogs wearing high heels- I think they are called Kringles- I have this set, but I don't hang in the tree- but I have many ornaments similar to these.

1635114610218.png

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
All the ornaments and garland on this cheap white tree are silver and gold- I always wanted a white tree and saw this for $15.00 at Family Dollar- they had a silver tree years ago- I should have bought that when I saw it- would love a silver tree too.
I have a huge heavy tree too- over 7ft- weighs about 100lbs- I have to carry a few pieces up at a time- then a huge container full of funny, silly ornaments- like santa and a flamingo- pigs wearing high heels, lots of frogs wearing high heels- I think they are called Kringles- I have this set, but I don't hang in the tree- but I have many ornaments similar to these.

View attachment 187239
Aw, those are really adorable! So cute!

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I bought the most boring thing ever.....a dishwasher, been working 14 - 15 hour days for the last 2 weeks, thought be nice to have the extra money for Christmas, but noooooo, have to pay $900 for a boring dishwasher.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
After doing a trunk or treat / haunted house event with the police department yesterday, the hubby and I were encouraged to do more scaring. I talked to a cousin of mine of whom runs a professional haunted house. This led to my latest purchase. An articulated werewolf mask and a set of elbow length gloves to go with it. $85 spent on an event that won't happen for another whole year.

However, I have liquid latex and paints, along with other supplies and my cousin's brain to pick, to create a true masterpiece out of what I have ordered and what I have.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Old-style Chinese Checkers games in a round, flat tin, 2 of them, for a couple of my younger grandchildren for Christmas

Who even knows what to buy for kids these days? The older they get, the more challenging it is.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Got this for the misses. She saw one once and thought it was hilarious. I got it sent to her.
She's all "wow, who sent me this, what is it?" Her eyes lit up when she opened the box.
"Oh grouse! A Fart Ninja!"
Motion sensor, remote control and record feature. The gift that keeps on giving :giggle:
IMG_20211123_100211_903~2.jpg

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
When it comes to working on what was my mom's room... I bought new double paned windows, and exterior wall board (siding). The hubby bought insulation, lumber, and heavy duty interior paneling. Now, we wait until he has a day off when the weather is cooperative enough that we can change the windows and finish up the exterior for the size difference. The new windows are shorter.
I bought a new gallon of paint to match, for when the weather allows me to paint, after we get to actually do the work. Then, I get to worry about painting the trim when weather allows.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hadn't really started with the xmas shopping yet, though might be done for the most part with my mom's stuff. lmao. She's got a graphics tablet for the pc but it wasn't really doing what she wanted. For quite awhile now she's been envious of a way to draw and do various things, spotted a program she wanted called procreate. Awesome, just run it on the pc right? Nope, apple app only. No apple products. Fook.

Not a fan of apple, never have been. Sure they have their perks but so damn overpriced. So an ipad 11 pro, apple pencil v2 and case later. Since there's no way to add storage (another nag I have with apple) opted for the 512gb version. I know jack shit about mobile devices, processors etc much less the appleverse. Looks like the latest ones got a decent upgrade with the M1 processor, around 40-80% faster depending on use. And I guess with the latest ipados they've removed the 5gb app limit on memory so it'll be able to use the full 8gb ram.

The irony? The abstract design on the flip case she wanted for it is the same kind of watercolor art she's looking to do with it. hahaha.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Favorite 18oz coffee mug broke. Gettin a new one...
(canceled the red one, ordered this instead)
1641077767573.png

...which prompted a new coffee maker o_O The current one is 5 yrs old and still works fine, and will for when more than a couple ppl are over...
1641068703816.png
...the new one is a cup [8/14oz] at a time w/ a reservoir. So no - filling water every time, filters to buy, or pot to clean. There's a lot of these single makers out there. Decided on this one. Happens to be same brand..
They have an older "The Scoop", hate it when they do that.
I think I'll like it just fine, if not Amazon's customer satis/return policy is almost as good as Walmart's used to be.

Attachments

• 1641069787067.png
    1641069787067.png
    99.1 KB · Views: 11
Rare first run Planet Eclipse autococker before Belsales started milling bodies for PE. Getting things ready for next season.

Attachments

• 270140951_954771102082006_7605917451930686316_n.jpg
    270140951_954771102082006_7605917451930686316_n.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 7

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
After years of working to become debt free (other than the mortgage) and saving we bought a new HVAC unit for the house for cash. I was surprised that the unit will fit through the attic access with no holes needing to be cut. We are also getting all new R8 insulated ducts and insulating the house to R44. Hopefully gone are the days of ridiculous PGE bills as well.

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
After years of working to become debt free (other than the mortgage) and saving we bought a new HVAC unit for the house for cash. I was surprised that the unit will fit through the attic access with no holes needing to be cut. We are also getting all new R8 insulated ducts and insulating the house to R44. Hopefully gone are the days of ridiculous PGE bills as well.

That is my profession!

R8 ducting only comes in the form of flexible, it’s not the best way to duct a home, but it’s far easier and cheaper since it’s not rigid.

Long term, rigid is better, but properly installed flexible ducting is good up to 25y depending on the UV penetration of the home. Also it’s impossible to clean without tearing and rendering useless, but with changing filters on schedule and cleaning of the fan and heat exchanger or addition of hepa filter OR addition of electric filtration, the ducting should stay 85-90% dirt free.

Most furnaces can fit through a roof access in one piece, sometimes it needs separation especially if it’s a single unit sized for a hole larger than 2500sqft, either case the A coil section is separate and will be installed horizontally with a drip pan under the unit suspended and or seismic strapped due to EQs.

If the unit was sized correctly, which most HVAC residential companies don’t do correctly the unit will be about 80% efficient, they have other efficiencies that are not related to the SEER rating of the condensing unit (higher seer the better)

Cooling tonnage should be sized as a rule of thumb at 400sqft per ton, so if your home is 1800sqft you should be on a 5T condenser.

Then you can calculate your electric bill easily by BTU…

5T condenser is 60,000 BTU approx

60000/Seer rating = Wh

So you can see a lower Seer rated condenser equaling higher Wh and higher lower.

You then can look at your Wh cost on your electric bill and extrapolate your daily cost and multiply that by how many days in the month to give a rough estimate of your electric bill.

60000/18= 3333 Wh convert to kWh (/1000) is 3.3 kWh

That’s what it would be to run an hour in the summer heat.

Summer has roughly 14 heat hours, BUT!

Your AC should never be running nonstop for an hour and where I mentioned sizing comes in (most under size)

If undersized my goodness, it will cycle more often, with it only being off 15% of the time.

Let’s say your rotating energy costs are the same in Northern California with PGE as it is with SDGE and depending if they also have the tiered on peaks and off peaks and super off fuckery peaks lol. That averages about $0.40

3.3 kWh X $0.40 is $1.34h times 14 heat hours average in summer (it’s actually longer) is $18.48 a day, times 28 day cycles is is $517 a month

Higher Seer here dramatically drops said cost.

60000/24 is 2500/1000= 2.5(.40) is $1

Or $14 a day or $392

392 vs 517 or 25% less

That is giving an all day running situation so don’t freak out.

If you work outside of your home, and the house is empty, you can basically take away 10 of that 14 hours

So figure the 3.3 or $5.28 a day (4 hours) and 28 days is $147 a month 🥱

The change is how the tiered system of power is, but the math is correct based on the condenser, which doesn’t take into account the energy used by the blower of the furnace across the A coil to cool the home…

Same math can be used on the BTU rating of the furnace which for cooling is additive to the $147 a month.

Wall of text out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Bought some speakers to upgrade the pc and living room tv. Ended up falling down the rabbit hole a bit starting out just looking to replace my aging pc speakers. Have had a dinky set of altec lansings on my pc for the last 15yrs or so and it's getting to where the sound randomly drops out. Everything sounds muffled until I raise the pc volume up around midway or higher, then suddenly they come back to life (rather loudly) and I have to lower the volume and they're fine again for awhile.

It was just a cheap 2.1 setup I got from walmart for like $30-40 or something. Seems inexpensive 2.1 setups are largely a thing of the past with many sets running $60-70 or more for still little pc speakers. The tinny sound from tiny speakers drives me nuts. Started to look at the klipsch promedia's and they were closer to $120. Then found they were basically as much as a set of bookshelf speakers.

The living room tv was running on one of those little htib setups with the dvd player integrated until the main unit gave out. Replaced with a yamaha avr, kept the tiny 3-5w satellite speakers and upgraded the center to a micca with the crossover. Definitely better but the main l/r stereo speakers are really lacking. Especially up against the larger center.

Figured I'd get a small amp like those little fosi 2 channel units or lepy's like a lot of people rave about. Until I found they were $60-90 and most were 50w. In the end I headed over to ebay and grabbed another yamaha avr for $60 that will give me around 75-100w per channel (it's just for my pc, not trying to peel the paint off the walls) and a pair of fluance sx6's on sale for $119. And a pair of neumi bs5's for the living room. Unfortunately the neumi's will take a couple months to get here, said something about march 17th. Ugh. It's really difficult trying to judge the sound of speakers over existing shit speakers lol.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks on the driveway, house has been a work in progress- I was so embarrassed on the old driveway- ugh! We put all the concrete walkways around 10 years ago. We have been at this house since '95
On the right is a flowering dogwood- on the left is a huge Japanese Maple- only things I left in the gardens- ripped out all the overgrown bushes and planted all the front plantings myself- lots of work but I love gardening.
I just found this thread.

Here is what I do for tabletop xmas trees most years, but you can't see the little wooden airplane on top of the taller one. The trees, 36" and 24", are made of actual pine cones wired together. I use vintage hat maker decorations (the red birds, bird nests, the berry clusters). I took apart a dollar store string of white fabric poinsettia to use. The little white lights are about all else.

HomeXmasTreesSm.jpg

I could have paid better attention to lighting for the pic, with the trees in front of open blinds.

VU Sponsors