Become a Patron!

Making sure nicotine in VG gets mixed well.

er5reni

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hello everyone, I am new to the mixing game and just got my first nicotine (100mg/250ml) shipment from Nic River, I accidently ordered it with the VG base. What is the best way to make sure that it is mixed well before dividing it up, what containers and sizes (I use 6mg) do you suggest I use and should I freeze some or most of it.

Thank you, Eric

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

er5reni

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I also got a gal. each of PG/VG, should I just mix 250ml of the PG to this to make it 500ml 50/50 mix to make it easier to keep from getting hot spots?

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I also got a gal. each of PG/VG, should I just mix 250ml of the PG to this to make it 500ml 50/50 mix to make it easier to keep from getting hot spots?

Makes it easier to work with when slightly thinner IMO.
And you can dilute the NIC to 50mg per ml while your at it.
Then break them up into smaller glass bottles, like 60ml, or 120ml, to store in the freezer.
Keep 1 or 2 30ml bottles out for mixing.
Be sure to shake very well before, and after, mixing/diluting.

er5reni

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
See post #188 here:

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/guide-to-mixing-by-weight.22891/page-4

Things combine with VG when the VG is warm...but not Too hot. Around 98-99 degrees F would be my choice. :ejuice:

Welcome!

Ron
---
"The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you."- B. B. King
Clicked that link and looked up #188 this is what the post said "I may refresh your memory...are you talking about the day I put a bottle of juice in my bra and ran my butt off at work all day? Ha!". Not sure how that pertains to my questions?

er5reni

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Makes it easier to work with when slightly thinner IMO.
And you can dilute the NIC to 50mg per ml while your at it.
Then break them up into smaller glass bottles, like 60ml, or 120ml, to store in the freezer.
Keep 1 or 2 30ml bottles out for mixing.
Be sure to shake very well before, and after, mixing/diluting.
Wouldn't that make it 50mg per ml?

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you've got the space for it, you can dilute all of it in advance with PG, cut it down and store most of the bottles in the freezer.

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Not sure how that pertains to my questions?

I thought in your OP you asked...

"What is the best way to make sure that it is mixed well "
:facepalm:

Vigorous shaking IS the best way

Ron
---
"What’s in store for me in the direction I don’t take?"-Jack Kerouac

er5reni

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Another question. I know that you should fill the containers up as much as possible before storing and/or freezing because of air, but that also makes it very difficult to shake and mix the nicotine up? Also when freezing how much room should you leave in each bottle to allow for expansion?

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Another question. I know that you should fill the containers up as much as possible before storing and/or freezing because of air, but that also makes it very difficult to shake and mix the nicotine up? Also when freezing how much room should you leave in each bottle to allow for expansion?
Shaking it should still provide enough agitation, you just may have to do it longer. Neither PG or VG will freeze in a typical home freezer, so it won't expand.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Once a sealed nic container (nitrogen sealed) is opened and gets in contact with air it starts to oxidise.
Placing the nic then in a lot of small containers rather then one big one helps limit the amount of additional air exposure and also makes handing more convenient and safe.
Placing nic in the freezer lengthens it's shelf life.

Think of a loaf of bread that hardens from contact with air, if you were to cut it into smaller portions, place each one in a sealed bag and place them in the freezer, it would last much longer.

Last edited:

er5reni

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Once a sealed nic container (nitrogen sealed) is opened and gets in contact with air it starts to oxidise.
Placing the nic then in a lot of small containers rather then one big one help limit the amount of additional air exposure and also makes handing more convenient and safe.

Think of a loaf of bread that hardens from contact with air, if you were to cut it into smaller portions, place each one in a sealed bag and place them in the freezer, it would last much longer.
Ty Nightshard, so when filling smaller containers to put in freezer you do not need to leave any room for expansion? And what about leaving room to be able to shake it?

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Neither one will freeze or expend, though VG will change viscosity and become thicker.
It is best to fill the bottles as much as possible (and with the least amount of air).

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Placing the nic then in a lot of small containers rather then one big one helps limit the amount of additional air exposure and also makes handing more convenient and safe.

I've talked with nic manufacurers and asked them about the freezer, they told me freezing doesn't do anything to keep nic from oxidizing,,,they told me to avoid extreme temps, keep air out and keep it out of light.

PuffOn

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
NN, Vapers Tec, Vape Clarity, Heartland Vapes, RTS
You can read about storage on the NN site.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
NN, Vapers Tec, Vape Clarity, Heartland Vapes, RTS
You can read about storage on the NN site.
of that list the only one that manufactuers nic. is NN....and I've had mixed results from NN....they're pretty good, but they don't make the cleanest nic I've ever used.

PuffOn

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
of that list the only one that manufactuers nic. is NN....and I've had mixed results from NN....they're pretty good, but they don't make the cleanest nic I've ever used.
No NN is not a manufacture, they "clean" "refine" "process" imported nic. Carolina Extract manufactures US grown tobacco. tho.
Yes, suppliers can vary batch to batch. Vape Clarity had very clean nic for the price, unfortunately they shut down.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No NN is not a manufacture, they "clean" "refine" "process" imported nic. Carolina Extract manufactures US grown tobacco. tho.
Yes, suppliers can vary batch to batch. Vape Clarity had very clean nic for the price, unfortunately they shut down.
I use carolina. and I think they have the best idea for nic storage...they recomend storing it under an inert gas ..it's an added expense but I think it's worth it.if it comes down to the FDA going medieval on us it is most likely what I will do.

PuffOn

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I use carolina. and I think they have the best idea for nic storage...they recomend storing it under an inert gas ..it's an added expense but I think it's worth it.if it comes down to the FDA going medieval on us it is most likely what I will do.
Yes that a good plan. I've read they have very good nic also.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes that a good plan. I've read they have very good nic also.
So, do you know where NN gets the nic they refine? I've heard the europen nic vapers tec uses sources some of their nic from India....also what do you know about the Nic Salts that NN is selling....I've tried it,but NN is not real explicit on it's description of it,,they have a sort of generic write up about it..I assumed to skirt around trouble from the FDA....the Salts really let the flavors pop, but I wonder how good they are at delivering nic into your body...and where the nic for the salts come from.

PuffOn

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So, do you know where NN gets the nic they refine? I've heard the europen nic vapers tec uses sources some of their nic from India....also what do you know about the Nic Salts that NN is selling....I've tried it,but NN is not real explicit on it's description of it,,they have a sort of generic write up about it..I assumed to skirt around trouble from the FDA....the Salts really let the flavors pop, but I wonder how good they are at delivering nic into your body...and where the nic for the salts come from.
Not sure where they are getting it. A few years ago I was waiting awhile for an order. It was delayed because they said a shipment was rejected and not to their standards.
Don't know anything about the nic salts, but noticed Nicotine River is now selling it.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not sure where they are getting it. A few years ago I was waiting awhile for an order. It was delayed because they said a shipment was rejected and not to their standards.
Don't know anything about the nic salts, but noticed Nicotine River is now selling it.
yeah I've never done bussines with Nic River and don't know anything about them...I tell ya, NN sure doesn't get your order out the door that damn quick.

ShowerHead

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

Well, think it through.
You have a bottle, you fill it to the neck with your nicotine. So, now you have, what, a 1" diameter surface area for the nicotine to interact with the air.
There is little air in the remaining space in the neck of the bottle. There is a fixed amount of oxygen in that air.
The nicotine is in solution, it isn't 100% nicotine or even close.
Just how much oxidation do you suppose is going to take place?

Me? I get liters of nicotine in 250 ml bottles. I put them into a baggie, then into a plastic storage box, then into the freezer.
Why the freezer? Because it is cool and dark. Also, nobody is going to knock them over in there, in the little container.
I work off a single 250 ml that has been broken down into 1-120 ml bottle and 2 60 ml bottles. I keep those in the freezer too.
Again, dark, cool, safe, and all my nicotine (stored and working) is in the same place.
I use this method because it keeps air and light away from the stored nicotine and minimizes it in the working nicotine.

VU Sponsors