Become a Patron!

MASON 30MM & 40MM DUMPTANK RTA BY VAPERGATE

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I seen the 40mm in person yesterday and my god it's big! My next setup will be the 40mm dump tank on top of a 1590 n1 4s lipo pwm box! Go big or go home!!
Looks pretty bad ass....

Sent from my 710C using Tapatalk

bcr500

Member For 3 Years
i built my 40mm with some wotofo hive wire that I had laying around ohming out at .18 125 watts. Wicked with cotton bacon v2 and so fare no leaks but I didn't put a lot of juice in yet. Thank god I didn't put in a lot of juice because the flavor is almost unbearable strong. I have some juice that I could not taste in other tanks so I'm going to try it.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I read on reddit where someone was also having leaking problems. He looked closely at his orings and noticed a dry spot near the top oring. He took the tank apart and juiced up the orings and reinstalled. This has stopped the leaking for him and it makes sense, if you are not getting a good seal then you will get leaking.

kargurin

Member For 4 Years
I watched a video review today. Two things stuck with me. Massive post holes for your wire and similarly sized wells. I'm guessing you would want to use a lot of cotton. And it's asking for a thick fused Clapton or some such. Tank sounds like it wants to guzzle lots of juice .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well the trick of flipping the rubber gasket worked for 2 tanks but this morning about 8ml of juice came out. Luckily I have been putting the tank into a Pyrex to protect my mod and counter but yeah, bad design.

It has to be that the top just becomes loose over time, maybe the press fit pin on the swivel it the weak spot. Not really sure but at this point I am done fucking with it. Too bad too, it vapes great, a tank I really enjoy using.

Vapergate should really have new rubber gaskets made up with just a plug, remove it, fill with juice and plug the fill port back up. Send them out to all the customers free of charge. At this point I will not buy anything more from vapergate unless they make this right, it's a damn $60 tank.

I am going to post this in the other Dumptank threads to warn people of the problem, mine was working well for awhile but now something must have come loose.

Rixsta

People's Reviewer
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Could not get my Mason 30mm to stop leaking no matter how I wicked it. Back to the Modfather.. Shame because it's a nice looking tank.

rowie

Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vapergate did make a wicking tutorial as another option for those having leaking problems. Here it is:

bcr500

Member For 3 Years
I don't know what you guys are doing wrong because my 40mm doesn't leak. 4mm ID coils wicked medium tight. Stuff the juice holes full and use a thin pair of scissors to push the wicks away from the air holes. Take your o rings out and lube them. Also lube the top seal were the top swings closed. Works for me.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't know what you guys are doing wrong because my 40mm doesn't leak. 4mm ID coils wicked medium tight. Stuff the juice holes full and use a thin pair of scissors to push the wicks away from the air holes. Take your o rings out and lube them. Also lube the top seal were the top swings closed. Works for me.

Get back to us in a couple of weeks or a month then let us know if your leaks. Mine was fine for awhile but I think the problem is the top gets loose which makes the seal go to hell.

Edit: Most of us are talking about the 30mm, maybe the 40mm doesn't have the same problems.

rowie

Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Get back to us in a couple of weeks or a month then let us know if your leaks. Mine was fine for awhile but I think the problem is the top gets loose which makes the seal go to hell.

Edit: Most of us are talking about the 30mm, maybe the 40mm doesn't have the same problems.

Maybe you're right....I've had my 40mm since day one of release day and I've never had a problem with leaking. I've accidentally left mine halfway filled for three days with the vent holes all open and laying flat on its side since I forgot about it in the car, and no leakage on the car seat. I'll have to get a 30mm and see if it's different.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A buddy and myself got our 30mm Dumptank on the same day. Both of us were really liking it for the first couple of weeks, I started having problems first but his was fine. After about 3 weeks he started having the same problems and now when he uses his he just puts 3 mil at a time, anymore and his will leak as well.

I haven't spent so much time trying to get a tank right, rewicked 5 times and cleaned the tank 2 times. I even took it all apart again and lubed up all the orings and top gaskets with juice and still leaks. Turned the top to seal off the fill hole and it was fine for a day and the next day dumped 8 mil of juice.

At this point I have just put it to the side, tired of messing with it. Vaporgate should really come out with a fix and send everyone the free part who is having trouble which seems to be most of the 30mm owners at this point. I would love to get a fix that is reliable, the tank gives a great vape regardless of size.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just to add I am pretty sure it is the top fill port on the 30mm which is the problem. If you look at the top fill there is barely any lip between the outside of the tank and the fill port, if the top gasket is barely off then it will let air get it. Not sure how much space is on the 40mm fill port but the 30mm is just too close and if the top gets a little loose then that will cause a big problem.

2da383ddc49dc01945ce578523497f7b.jpg

bcr500

Member For 3 Years
I guess I'm in for a leaky tank soon. That sucks because I love this tank and I just ordered a custom pwm 1590n1 box mod which is big enough so there's no overhang . Now I'm thinking I should have got the mod father rta and a 1590b box. I hope vapergate makes this right considering it's a $70 tank. I watched the vaping biker review of the dumptank and he mentions a shim for the bottom glass oring being in the works to stop the seeping around the glass. Maybe they will come out with a v2 and ship the new pieces to the people who have bought the tank.

rowie

Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Just to add I am pretty sure it is the top fill port on the 30mm which is the problem. If you look at the top fill there is barely any lip between the outside of the tank and the fill port, if the top gasket is barely off then it will let air get it. Not sure how much space is on the 40mm fill port but the 30mm is just too close and if the top gets a little loose then that will cause a big problem.

2da383ddc49dc01945ce578523497f7b.jpg

With the pic you showed me compared to my 40mm tank the top looks deeper in my 40mm hard to say with just a pic. I'm wondering what kind of cotton do you use. Not sure if the cotton is also another factor to consider or whether or not good cotton can control flow really well. I use exactly what Vapergate uses which is cotton Bacon. With cotton Bacon I no longer have to over pack the wells. This brand I find has good control and flavor. I just wick it exactly like the video. I definitely will get the 30mm just cause it's a versatile size for my mech mods compared to my 40mm that works well with my HOG v1.3 and Reauleux.

As for the modfather I love that mod as well but I can never get good flavor out of it compared to the dump tank (yes I've watched a whole bunch of vids on wicking for the modfather).

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
With the pic you showed me compared to my 40mm tank the top looks deeper in my 40mm hard to say with just a pic. I'm wondering what kind of cotton do you use. Not sure if the cotton is also another factor to consider or whether or not good cotton can control flow really well. I use exactly what Vapergate uses which is cotton Bacon. With cotton Bacon I no longer have to over pack the wells. This brand I find has good control and flavor. I just wick it exactly like the video. I definitely will get the 30mm just cause it's a versatile size for my mech mods compared to my 40mm that works well with my HOG v1.3 and Reauleux.

As for the modfather I love that mod as well but I can never get good flavor out of it compared to the dump tank (yes I've watched a whole bunch of vids on wicking for the modfather).
I have used cotton bacon and Japanese organic cotton with the top layers removed and stretched the rolled in a Scottish roll. I have about 30 RTA's and have never had such problems, if it was just me having the problem then I would label myself a dumb ass. No problem doing that, but with all the other 30mm owners having the same problem I have come to the conclusion that the tank is the problem.

If you look back over my posts mine was fine in the beginning, the problems crept up then proceeded to get worse. If you look at the wicking video youtube yosh from vapergate posted he mentioned using the spacer he provided. He said to only use 1 to alleviate the problem, if you use more it would loosen the top cap and you would have to use more. I started off with 1 spacer, worked ok but I got a little seepage. Added another spacer and worked for about 4 tanks until it started leaking. 3rd spacer worked fine for awhile until it leaked overnight. Tried turning the fill port on the rubber gasket so it was covering the fill port and that worked for a single tank but the next night 8ml just flowed right out.

The tank has progressively gotten worse and I feel like shit for thinking others were doing something wrong, it is clear vapergate did something wrong.

Fellow 30mm Dump Tank user here. Bought it hoping it'd be the last tank I ever buy! Build space, flavour, clouds, all on point but yup, mine's a leaker too.

I've got 2 or 3 spacers in at the moment (can't remember now), thought it was sorted after the 3rd one but after a couple days the leaking returned. Wet rings around the top of my mod and it just gushes out of the AFC if I leave it alone. Also, one of the AFC pins is starting to protrude and work its way out.

I don't wanna give up on it as ÂŁ45 in the UK is crazy money for me (Never paid more than ÂŁ15 for a tank). The Serpent Mini is still my favourite of the bunch (Waiting for the 25mm big brother to arrive) but I just wanted huge capacity for long drives and such.

I'm thinking of finding and adding a huge o-ring around the gasket to try keep it sealed. Also, I think the fact the juice hole has a huge lip leading into the tank but a tiny one that presses against the black gasket in the cap is a big issue. If the lips around the juice hole and chimney protruded more, you'd likely get a better seal without risers.In fact, the risers will reduce the quality of the seal below the gasket, increasing the odds of air getting from the sides.
Also, dafuq is with the tiiiiny magnet that holds the lid closed?! For a 'premium' tank, this thing is badly designed.

tldr: The 30mm is a juice-leaking nightmare. By saying "Here's some risers in case it leaks", VaperGate is basically admitting they know it's badly designed. Seriously hope they release replacement topcaps to fix this.

I just had another thought (As if I didn't already write enough!), can anyone think of a type of thin oil that's flavorless?
I had a syringe I used for injecting oil into mechanical components. After a while, the rubber bung in the syringe swelled to the point where the syringe was basically unusable.

I'm wondering if I soaked the gasket in the top cap in oil for long enough, it would expand and result in a tighter fit. I've found liquid all around the sides of the gasket (on the seal itself and on the metal walls) suggesting liquid (and probably air) can pass through. If it were wider and squeezed into the slot, it would likely seal better. Also, I agree with the previous comments about the gap between the juice hole and the 'wall', It's super-thin and looks like a lot of liquid escapes there.

Kennel Boss

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Fellow 30mm Dump Tank user here. Bought it hoping it'd be the last tank I ever buy! Build space, flavour, clouds, all on point but yup, mine's a leaker too.

I've got 2 or 3 spacers in at the moment (can't remember now), thought it was sorted after the 3rd one but after a couple days the leaking returned. Wet rings around the top of my mod and it just gushes out of the AFC if I leave it alone. Also, one of the AFC pins is starting to protrude and work its way out.

I don't wanna give up on it as ÂŁ45 in the UK is crazy money for me (Never paid more than ÂŁ15 for a tank). The Serpent Mini is still my favourite of the bunch (Waiting for the 25mm big brother to arrive) but I just wanted huge capacity for long drives and such.

I'm thinking of finding and adding a huge o-ring around the gasket to try keep it sealed. Also, I think the fact the juice hole has a huge lip leading into the tank but a tiny one that presses against the black gasket in the cap is a big issue. If the lips around the juice hole and chimney protruded more, you'd likely get a better seal without risers.In fact, the risers will reduce the quality of the seal below the gasket, increasing the odds of air getting from the sides.
Also, dafuq is with the tiiiiny magnet that holds the lid closed?! For a 'premium' tank, this thing is badly designed.

tldr: The 30mm is a juice-leaking nightmare. By saying "Here's some risers in case it leaks", VaperGate is basically admitting they know it's badly designed. Seriously hope they release replacement topcaps to fix this.

Not trying to be mean in anyway but have you tried a Modfather 30mm RTA?? Never a leaker... Ever.

As Inspects had said earlier i c

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

The top loosened just like on the tfv4 and it looses vacuum..... And the bottom airflow doesn't help either.....

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Rixsta

People's Reviewer
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yup, Modfather is great but it does collect juice around the afc after a few fills.
Doesn't leak though like the Mason, I tried everything but that tank to me really does live up to its name.

Lately I've been using the Minikin V2 with the Serpent Mini 25, that is one tasty vape and a awesome setup when you want a break for the beasts.

Put that Modfather on a Hammer of God V3 and wow, hits like a train. (Depending on build)

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yup, Modfather is great but it does collect juice around the afc after a few fills.
Doesn't leak though like the Mason, I tried everything but that tank to me really does live up to its name.

Lately I've been using the Minikin V2 with the Serpent Mini 25, that is one tasty vape and a awesome setup when you want a break for the beasts.

Put that Modfather on a Hammer of God V3 and wow, hits like a train. (Depending on build)
It collects between the O-rings, they should be replaced every 3 months to 6 months to avoid that..... The twisting and closing and opening and heat wear the o-rings Out... These RTA and tanks are not made to run forever without maintenance..

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have to say the Scottua clone from fasttech I paid less than $14 for blows the mason shit tank out of the water. Vapergate sucks ass.

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have to say the Scottua clone from fasttech I paid less than $14 for blows the mason shit tank out of the water. Vapergate sucks ass.

They are nice.... I bought (2)
C360_2016-11-02-20-19-46-897.jpg

Rixsta

People's Reviewer
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It collects between the O-rings, they should be replaced every 3 months to 6 months to avoid that..... The twisting and closing and opening and heat wear the o-rings Out... These RTA and tanks are not made to run forever without maintenance..

I agree, I have replaced them once, with regard to that, is there a place you can buy them from Manny please ?

They are nice.... I bought (2)
View attachment 66568

May have to pick one of these up for that price

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I agree, I have replaced them once, with regard to that, is there a place you can buy them from Manny please ?

May have to pic one of these up for that price
Home Depot....or Rocco......

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

MMMMM, I lost count at around 35 RTA's, 60 RDA'S and 40 Mech's. I have 3 Modfather's, have used everything from Cotton Bacon, Hemp fiber, Rayon, Supima to Japanese Organic Cotton. I love the Modfather, flavor and Vaper production is unmatched. I use Koh gen Do 99.9% of the time never have had any issues with leaking or dry hits. She's a wonderful tank and Koh gen Do is the best I've found to date.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
LOL, what size are they though. Sorry for all the questions, I would usually google it but my PS4 Pro came this morning ha
Just take a gasket with you and in the plumbing department look for the size. They can be a little ticker but as long as the circumference is close your good to go.... A little thicker will make the afc to be tighter but that's ok......

Last edited:

Rixsta

People's Reviewer
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just take a gasket with you and in the plumbing department look for the size. They can be a little ticker but as long as the circumference is close your good to go.... A little thicker will make the arc to be tighter but that's ok......

Thank you :cheers:

joeybo693

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have a 30mil and it leaks like it's raining and I noticed I can push down on the top fill cap so I put a vape band on it. I'll let you know if it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, it's that damn topcap that is the problem, it gets looser and looser over time.

I still have mine taken apart. I had planned to try and find a solution but everytime I look at it I get pissed all over again. What really pisses me off is I really enjoyed using it when it held juice. Great vape but major flaw that the mfg continues to say we just all suck at wicking, they can go fuck themselves.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

joeybo693

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Since I put that vape band on it has not leaked yet. I have 1 clear spacer on it too with it three quarters of the way filled.

joeybo693

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
They should of made it with a screw on topfill cap!

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They should of made it with a screw on topfill cap!

Agree 100%

I might try the vape band, not sure yet though. I tried about 4 different things with the tank, some lasted a week or more then the sploosh. Not sure I want to deal with the frustration of this tank anymore.

I now have a Modfather, Aromamizer Plus, Scottua, BFT, Ohmega Beast, BFDFT and I think another 30mm tank. None of them leak, I guess they must be idiot proof because magically I can wick them properly but not the Dumptank.

I talked to Yost, I think that's his name, the owner of vapergate. He said his 30mm never leaks, we are just wicking it wrong. That is such fucking bullshit, he needs to man up and make a screw top replacement to send out to all his customers. His excuses makes me never want to buy another product from him, that's the only mfg I will say that about.

It's funny, I went to a vape convention with a buddy of mine who also has a 30mm dumptank. He asked if vapergate was going to be there and I said no. He said too bad, if they were he was going to bring his leaking POS tank with him and just toss it back at them.

joeybo693

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Agree 100%

I might try the vape band, not sure yet though. I tried about 4 different things with the tank, some lasted a week or more then the sploosh. Not sure I want to deal with the frustration of this tank anymore.

I now have a Modfather, Aromamizer Plus, Scottua, BFT, Ohmega Beast, BFDFT and I think another 30mm tank. None of them leak, I guess they must be idiot proof because magically I can wick them properly but not the Dumptank.

I talked to Yost, I think that's his name, the owner of vapergate. He said his 30mm never leaks, we are just wicking it wrong. That is such fucking bullshit, he needs to man up and make a screw top replacement to send out to all his customers. His excuses makes me never want to buy another product from him, that's the only mfg I will say that about.

It's funny, I went to a vape convention with a buddy of mine who also has a 30mm dumptank. He asked if vapergate was going to be there and I said no. He said too bad, if they were he was going to bring his leaking POS tank with him and just toss it back at them.

What was your favorite 30mm before the dumb tank?

joeybo693

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well I'm tried it again. 4mm standard wrap with vape band and a so called Scottish wick but for sheet style cotton about 1/2 or more wide lightly folded and then rolled to almost a round shape pinched and twisted one end to fit in coil pulled until I can't pull it through coil cut ends fluffed then jammed into passages with a small Allen wrench from a rda so it was some what tight. .28 ohms at 75.6 watts 4.60 volts a little mute and flavor but no dry hits yet and no leaking and it's been over an hour

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What was your favorite 30mm before the dumb tank?

The only 30mm I had before the dumbtank was the BFDFT which is decent but the airflow is too restrictive for me.
My favorite 30mm tanks right now are the Scottua clone from fasttech, Modfather and Aromamizer Plus. I like the BFT and Beast and the other 30mm tank I forgot I have is the Ohmega top airflow, I think it is the TFMT, that's an enjoyable tank as well. I also have the Ohmega Calypso and Iron Maiden but those are genny style like the limitless plus.

I would say the beat deal is the Scottua clone from fasttech but you also need to buy the $5 30mm heatsink. The only reason for the heatsink is not to dissipate heat but to keep the condensation off the top of you mod. The Scottua has bottom airflow that is right next to the 510 connection. It doesn't leak if wicked right but the condensation does build up.

4d64463054d216e6a8a3ecca0a29da9e.jpg

That's a pic of the Scottua with the heatsink under. See how it turns the airflow into side firing. The tank with the heatsink is less than $20, cheaper right now with the sale that ends today for another 15% off. Vape wise it is one of my favorites for sure, great flavor and clouds bro.

The Modfather is a great tank but pricey and hard to get. Great vape and a quality tank so you get what you pay for.

The Aromamizer Plus so far has been great. The only con for me so far is it could use a little more airflow. Build quality has been excellent and I got the full kit so the tank can be a dripper, 5ml, 10ml or a whopping 20ml. I have used all of the configs and even the 20ml doesn't leak a drop. I filled the 20ml to the top with juice then placed it in a bowl overnight in case it leaked. Nothing, held the juice like a champ just like all these other 30mm tanks aside from the Dumbtank.

20ml mode:

dc0d1a9c989e401becaf2d4874cbdea5.jpg

10ml mode:

bf68fcf783f38e1e691e8a4226bd0713.jpg

I thought I had pics in the 5ml and RDS mode but nope, you get the idea though.

I really do like all the Ohmega tanks, I think I have them all. There black is more of a gunmetal and looks killer. My favorite from them is probably the BFT, con is no adjustable airflow or JFC but in use I have no complaints. If your into limitless plus style genny tanks the Calypso is real nice. I love it because you can put HUGE coils in it. I actually use it like a RDA a lot of times but when filling up the tank this bastard burns through juice like a freight train. Vaporworld.biz usually has the best sales on Ohmega tanks. I got nearly all of them from there when they had a 50% off sale. I think the Calypso at regular price is only $17 now and the Beast is like $19 last time I checked.

I hope the vape band works permanently for the Dumptank. Let me know

joeybo693

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well it still leaked. I've done everything I can do except take off the air control ring. I love the tank but not the leaks. My hands are in the air on this one and I know it's not my wicking.

joeybo693

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm going to try replacing all the o-rings before I give up. Just have to order a kit.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I am interested in the 30mm but want to wait until reports come out on it, the $60 price tag doesn't scream buy it now :giggle:
Vaporlounge has it for 49.99 I am trying to force myself not to buy it but I want it I THINK

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Size comparison with the Modfather tank. I figured I might as well add these in before I clean this bad boy and build on it.

abe48cf32a3f7c152e0d9489b52d19bd.jpg

Close up

a019cb14ec5bf22f45cc92a6e095522d.jpg

Top view:

d6220d5d4dc4ac4317440c29969d8a3c.jpg

Need a big mod if you don't want overhang!

085cb6eaa6332941c5a957b2813a0667.jpg

Fits perfectly on the HOG v 1.3

266c07967ced28d837fa5dcd565a5396.jpg

Time to clean this bad boy up. He needs to soak in a warm vodka bath. Lol

That thing is just huge wow!

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vaporlounge has it for 49.99 I am trying to force myself not to buy it but I want it I THINK
Get the modfather or aromamizer plus instead and save yourself the heartache. I hear the 40mm doesn't suffer the same problems though

VU Sponsors