Become a Patron!

DisasterousDan

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
hey guys

I am new to box mods and rda's. I currently have a fixed wattage mod at 40w and have a 0.5ohm tank. I bought my first rda and built a 0.3 ohm dual coil set up and it works great. I am looking to buy a new box mod which is variable. It can go to a max of 70w and says that it can use 0.1-3.5 ohm coils.

I was just wondering if it is ok to use a 0.3 ohm setup using 24g kanthal, 7wraps and 3mm id, at 70 watts? Obviously I don't want to damage the mod or cause a hazard to myself. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, that's about the right power level for such a build. You're not going to damage the mod by running any coil within its specified resistance range at any wattage. The way that they regulate the power prevents them from running configurations that the circuitry can't handle.

Running a low enough coil at a high enough wattage can cause it to heat up a bit, but most mods will let you know that they're getting too hot by not firing. That build would be a pretty warm vape, but still well within reason.

If it's a single-battery mod, then it will pull 15 amps to give you 70w. Make sure you have some decent 20A batteries. I recommend the Samsung 25r5. The one thing you're not protected from is the mod pulling more current than your battery can handle. It doesn't know the amp limit. It's not psychic like that. Don't skimp on batteries. Other than that, you're good to go. Have at it.

Just out of curiosity... ...what mod are you looking at? What atty are you going to drop that dual 24 in?

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
hey guys

I am new to box mods and rda's. I currently have a fixed wattage mod at 40w and have a 0.5ohm tank. I bought my first rda and built a 0.3 ohm dual coil set up and it works great. I am looking to buy a new box mod which is variable. It can go to a max of 70w and says that it can use 0.1-3.5 ohm coils.

I was just wondering if it is ok to use a 0.3 ohm setup using 24g kanthal, 7wraps and 3mm id, at 70 watts? Obviously I don't want to damage the mod or cause a hazard to myself. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
There are a lot of variables as far as correct wattage for a build. Wire makeup, coil details, wicking capabilities, and even the juice you use. Wick it wrong and you'll end up getting dry hits and scorching your wick. Different wire types will have different properties like resistance. Coils will differ, a spaced coil will not have the same vape as one closer together. More surface area means more vapor, but do it wrong and you get a higher resistance meaning it heats up faster with lower wattage. PG is thinner than VG so it'll soak into your wick faster meaning you can use a little higher wattage.

Best advice I can give you is simply play with your coil building, and take mental notes of the goods and bads. Always start below what you think it can handle, and take a puff and decide if you can crank it up. More metal means higher wattage and lower resistance means higher wattage as a general rule of thumb. So if you were to twist up the wire then wrap the coil it'd likely be able to take a bit more wattage. If you used thicker guage and ended up with lower resistance you'd want higher wattage. And, the reverse is true in both cases.

As for .3Ω I know my old Aspire Atlantis coils at that resistance I was using 60-80w, that was a spaced vertical coil. But, yeah lots of variables to consider. The best you can do is guess, and it's always better to guess low and adjust. Vaping is physics but hell if I know how to do the exact formulas completely and I like to think I know it decently well. So Trial and Error is the key to vaping, play around and test. If you get a burning taste/feel turn the wattage down, if it's not enjoyable at that wattage then try a different type of coil. Keep playing with it till you're happy... then keep playing with it for fun and you'll likely find something that makes what you liked obsolete :D

DisasterousDan

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
There are a lot of variables as far as correct wattage for a build. Wire makeup, coil details, wicking capabilities, and even the juice you use. Wick it wrong and you'll end up getting dry hits and scorching your wick. Different wire types will have different properties like resistance. Coils will differ, a spaced coil will not have the same vape as one closer together. More surface area means more vapor, but do it wrong and you get a higher resistance meaning it heats up faster with lower wattage. PG is thinner than VG so it'll soak into your wick faster meaning you can use a little higher wattage.

Best advice I can give you is simply play with your coil building, and take mental notes of the goods and bads. Always start below what you think it can handle, and take a puff and decide if you can crank it up. More metal means higher wattage and lower resistance means higher wattage as a general rule of thumb. So if you were to twist up the wire then wrap the coil it'd likely be able to take a bit more wattage. If you used thicker guage and ended up with lower resistance you'd want higher wattage. And, the reverse is true in both cases.

As for .3Ω I know my old Aspire Atlantis coils at that resistance I was using 60-80w, that was a spaced vertical coil. But, yeah lots of variables to consider. The best you can do is guess, and it's always better to guess low and adjust. Vaping is physics but hell if I know how to do the exact formulas completely and I like to think I know it decently well. So Trial and Error is the key to vaping, play around and test. If you get a burning taste/feel turn the wattage down, if it's not enjoyable at that wattage then try a different type of coil. Keep playing with it till you're happy... then keep playing with it for fun and you'll likely find something that makes what you liked obsolete :D
Thank you for your help

DisasterousDan

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah, that's about the right power level for such a build. You're not going to damage the mod by running any coil within its specified resistance range at any wattage. The way that they regulate the power prevents them from running configurations that the circuitry can't handle.

Running a low enough coil at a high enough wattage can cause it to heat up a bit, but most mods will let you know that they're getting too hot by not firing. That build would be a pretty warm vape, but still well within reason.

If it's a single-battery mod, then it will pull 15 amps to give you 70w. Make sure you have some decent 20A batteries. I recommend the Samsung 25r5. The one thing you're not protected from is the mod pulling more current than your battery can handle. It doesn't know the amp limit. It's not psychic like that. Don't skimp on batteries. Other than that, you're good to go. Have at it.

Just out of curiosity... ...what mod are you looking at? What atty are you going to drop that dual 24 in?
That is great thanks you for your help. The mod I'm looking at is the Innokin cool fire iv plus. It has an integrated battery 3300mah, runs 6w-70w, 2v-7.5v and can handle coil resistance from 0.1 ohm to 3.5 ohm. The RDA I'm using just now is a troll clone. Which I am annoyed about because I didn't know it was a clone until 2 days after using it. However it works the way I hoped it would.

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That is great thanks you for your help. The mod I'm looking at is the Innokin cool fire iv plus. It has an integrated battery 3300mah, runs 6w-70w, 2v-7.5v and can handle coil resistance from 0.1 ohm to 3.5 ohm.
Ahh, yeah, the integrated battery mods are nice and easy to run safely. So long as they don't malfunction (rare, but has happened,) you really don't have anything to worry about. Keep everything in spec and forget, pretty much.

The only problem with them is that you can't change batteries, which sucks when they die. They won't last too long at 70w, either. There's also lifetime. Once the batteries give out completely, you're pretty much left with a useless block of electronics.

May want to consider upgrading in the coming months. When you get comfortable with it, consider higher power, dual 18650 mods. They seem intimidating at first, but they're really no harder to use/more dangerous to use, the battery life is better at the mid-power levels, and they expand your horizons when it comes to what you can do with RDA's and even some of the beefier tanks... ...something you can better grow into.

Not knocking it. The mod you have now should suit you just fine. Just a suggestion from someone who's already climbed the ladder. You may eventually want something with more convenience and robustness when you inevitably have to replace the mod you have now.

The RDA I'm using just now is a troll clone. Which I am annoyed about because I didn't know it was a clone until 2 days after using it. However it works the way I hoped it would.
Haha, well if you couldn't tell it was a clone at first, then its probably not a bad one! I have an authentic and it's one of my favorite attys... ...has been for well over a year. Hold on to that thing. If you ever get a 150w+ box mod, you're going to love that atty. It really shines with big, high-power builds. Honestly, you might want to try something a little smaller/closed off for the mod you have now. Maybe a Sapor or Lush, if you like wotofo's designs. They're cheap, high quality RDA's that can handle 70w and lower coils much better than your troll probably does. That thing is a straight cloud atty. It likes big, hulking coils that need 100w or more the most. That is more what it is designed for.

Again, just suggestions.

Even though your mod is well-protected, I still recommend that you brush up on your ohms law, as it's a big part of the picture behind something I like to call coil theory. With a better understanding of how things work electrically comes the ability to better conceptualize your builds and get them to perform the way you want to. It's a good compliment to the trial-and-error work that you'll have to do. You learn more from it faster if you read up on ohm's law and how it pertains to coil building.

Happy building! Once you get comfy with dripping, you may never go back to anything else.

VU Sponsors