Become a Patron!

My First RTA build.

Supernoob

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Didn't work out, :p . Rebuilt a bunch of times after this. I thought it was beautiful, but it didn't work good. This was 26-30 kanthal clapton wire. I made a different pair I'm using now with only 5 or 6 wraps and spaced. It's at .44ohm but that's not vaping well either. I'm learning....I'll get there.

IMG_0234.JPG
IMG_0237.JPG

gadget!

"The Trader"
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
VU Patreon
More information would be helpful.
What RTA?
Mod?
Wattage?

That's a pretty high build for a dual coil setup.
Are you after MTL or Direct Lung?

Sent from a Galaxy far far away

Supernoob

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
It's a Geekvape ZX RTA
GV L200 mod
Wattage I couldn't figure out. Too low and the vape took too long and was very cool. But then after a few puffs it heated up to the point it was spitting to the point like I was drinking juice.

I'm just playing around and learning. I guess what I was shooting for was more of a mid level vape in the .4 to .5ohm range. The tank comes with an awesome set of coils but my whole purpose is to learn to make my own. Plus the .2ohm range is just too much for me. And I wanted to document my process, that's all. But I'm interested in any thoughts of course.

Last edited:

Supernoob

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Too much mass.... takes higher wattage to heat up
What wattage are you trying to use?
Keep in mind, this is to answer the question of the current coils I'm using, not the ones in the picture, that didn't work at all.

Currently I have 5-6 wraps and spaced, reading .45. I've tried from 28 watts to 45. And similar things happen. Cool at first, then when it heats up its warm and flavorful, then the third puff.....potential danger. Airflow from 20% to 100% same thing.

I'm still making it work only because I'm nearly out of juice and don't want to rebuild till I reup my supply, you go through a lot of juice playing with coils and rewicking.

I just received shipment of DIY gear, and I'm just waiting on the nic which should be here Saturday. After that, you will see many pics from me as I experiment. I really like this, it's a fun hobby.

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
You need to throw out your ideas of i want to vape at a certain wattage. I was the same way when i started diy. The builds n wattage i was convinced i wanted to vape with are a nite n day difference from what i actually found to be my vape style n sweet spot.

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Also you tails on that wick job are to long.they need to stop at or barely in the juice ports.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Keep in mind, this is to answer the question of the current coils I'm using, not the ones in the picture, that didn't work at all.

Currently I have 5-6 wraps and spaced, reading .45. I've tried from 28 watts to 45. And similar things happen. Cool at first, then when it heats up its warm and flavorful, then the third puff.....potential danger. Airflow from 20% to 100% same thing.

I'm still making it work only because I'm nearly out of juice and don't want to rebuild till I reup my supply, you go through a lot of juice playing with coils and rewicking.

I just received shipment of DIY gear, and I'm just waiting on the nic which should be here Saturday. After that, you will see many pics from me as I experiment. I really like this, it's a fun hobby.

When you build an RTA, regardless of what your ohms read (as long as they are above 0.1 ohms), you have to consider the amount of metal you're trying to heat up, especially when you build with Kanthal. That set of coils in your top picture could take at least 60 watts to vape properly, just because it's so much metal, and it's metal that is slow to heat up and slow to cool down.

If you have 5-6 wrap dual spaced Claptons in it now and it spits, your wattage still isn't high enough. You're cooking the juice, not vaporizing it. Bump the watts up about 3 to 5 at a time and give the RTA at least two or three draws after each change, to settle and vape out the extra juice that's been pulled into the chamber. Open the airflow more if it's too warm for you. Take shorter draws if it's still too warm for you or it's still spitting. When you get the watts right, the vape will settle down and you'll get the flavor where it should be, too.

You have to remember that only half of the current coming out of the mod is going to each coil, so if you're vaping at 45 watts with dual coils, that's like 22 watts on a single coil. 22 watts on a single 5-6 wrap spaced Clapton would be wimpy and the juice would pop and the tank would eventually flood and gurgle.

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I’d only go 5 wraps on each coil slightly spaced.

Install said cotton where it barely snugs to the inner diameter of the coil without pulling said coils.

I’d start at 70/30 consistency of juice and change in 5% variables til it wicks to your vape frequency without dry hitting.

I’d also start at 20w, move incrementally 5w til you achieved desired warmth without dry hits.

I’d also not look at what others run in their RTAs as a baseline, for we all vape differently.

Additionally, some flavor profiles just taste better in other atomizers; example…

My favorite juice by one of our resident mixers here on VU…I absolutely love in the Asgard Mini with .09 Alien coils on a mech at 130w, but it’s horrible in my Boro devices at 13w… same goes for the juice I like in my Boro devices… tastes like ass at high wattages

Regulated mods suffer with high mass coils, especially high mass dual coils, my above suggestion of only going 5 wraps is a reduction of 37% total mass approximately.

2x 5 wrap is 10

Where you have 2x8 being 16

10 of 16 is 62.x% aka 37.x% reduction

There is no magic waiving of a wand to dial in your RTA from not performing… there is only suggestions we can give and either you try them or you don’t… it’s a journey to find that middle ground of peek performance and flavor production and as mentioned… only suggestions we can give.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Supernoob

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor

Install said cotton where it barely snugs to the inner diameter of the coil without pulling said coils.

I’d start at 70/30 consistency of juice and change in 5% variables til it wicks to your vape frequency without dry hitting.

I’d also start at 20w, move incrementally 5w til you achieved desired warmth without dry hits.

I’d also not look at what others run in their RTAs as a baseline, for we all vape differently.

Additionally, some flavor profiles just taste better in other atomizers; example…

My favorite juice by one of our resident mixers here on VU…I absolutely love in the Asgard Mini with .09 Alien coils on a mech at 130w, but it’s horrible in my Boro devices at 13w… same goes for the juice I like in my Boro devices… tastes like ass at high wattages

Regulated mods suffer with high mass coils, especially high mass dual coils, my above suggestion of only going 5 wraps is a reduction of 37% total mass approximately.

2x 5 wrap is 10

There is no magic waiving of a wand to dial in your RTA from not performing… there is only suggestions we can give and either you try them or you don’t… it’s a journey to find that middle ground of peek performance and flavor production and as mentioned… only suggestions we can give.

Good luck!

Great advice from you guys. Really appreciate it. I'm really enjoying the journey.

Just mixed my first juice. Straight orange 6.5%. 70/30. So I'm doing that journey at the same time. Gonna put a new build tonight as soon as my tank is dry to try it out.
I used this calculator, it was awesome, especially since my base was a custom 25mg of unflavored 70/30, it started getting complicated. The calculator took it all in.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I like to "dry burn" my coils when I first install them (before doing the wick(s) Start lower watts, do short pulses, increase watts as needed. Don't get them red hot... just glowing (ideally from the center outward or at least evenly) I go into a closet behind the door so it darker (not fully dark just in the "shade") Look for hot spots and "strum" the coils between dry burns (it really helps) Each time, they should glow more evenly. Spaced coils are so much easier but strumming contact coils helps so much. Also, when you find a wattage that slowly glows the coils, this will help you estimate how many watts to use when vaping (generally a bit higher) Always check resistance (on your mod) before and after assembling the RTA (it's possible to have a coil touch the chamber if too close to the side or top) Be patient... there is a learning curve with each different RTA but once you get it down, it becomes much easier to repeat. Wicking is the tricky part (to avoid dry hit or to avoid flooding/leaking) Cotton should be snug but still be able to pull from side to side without distorting coil (as mentioned) That was good advice given about the wick tails being a bit too long. Prime your coil/wick before assembling the RTA, fill it and wait a few minutes before using. Break it in at lower watts and work your way up. If you ever get a "dry hit" (not actually dry but you can tell it's not wicking well... if it actually dry you will know instantly) try doing a few "primer puffs" (draw air without firing)

I just copied and saved that (have written similar too many times... now I have it handy)

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon

2x 5 wrap is 10

Good luck!

This is why a lot of times I build dual coil RDAs/RTAs (if the design allows) with single staged coils, or I just use plain round wire for dual coils. I wrap them like I would a parallel, then just turn the legs a few times to separate the two coils from each other. Then they're always the same.

My vision is pretty bad, so counting wraps on a coil I've already made is a challenge. That's why I like to wrap them the way I described.

Supernoob

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Got it vaping good now. I made some six wrapped space coils, but with 2.5 diameter. Wicked the cotton well...I think. I tried wicking it with less in the holes but the whole thing leaked on me. I've seen so many vids that I think I got that part right. I've got it the right length, touching the bottom. That works for me. The experience is humming along right now. .39ohms 54watts, and vaping nice medium warm.

My homemade juice tho....harsh! Lol. That's another adventure for another time. Obviously I waited almost no time for it to do whatever voodoo it does over time.

Supernoob

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
This is why a lot of times I build dual coil RDAs/RTAs (if the design allows) with single staged coils, or I just use plain round wire for dual coils. I wrap them like I would a parallel, then just turn the legs a few times to separate the two coils from each other. Then they're always the same.

My vision is pretty bad, so counting wraps on a coil I've already made is a challenge. That's why I like to wrap them the way I described.
My eyes are going too. Reading glasses not enough. I need one of those jewelers head rig deals, :D
1636067219980.png

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
My homemade juice tho....harsh! Lol. That's another adventure for another time. Obviously I waited almost no time for it to do whatever voodoo it does over time.
Since you mentioned it... what specific brand/flavor and what nic strength?

Supernoob

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Since you mentioned it... what specific brand/flavor and what nic strength?
I'm waiting on nic base from Delosi, was the only place that would ship to ny with no hassles or quirks. But what I used for the moment was this.

ONYX 6mg unflavored boosted to 25mg with a nic shot by the store, I don't know what brand of nic. I consider it 25mg, even though the math says it should be 26mg, only because I can see there is a bit of waste in how the guy does it.

Delosi VG, PG, and Valencia Orange flavoring in PG. I waited nearly ZERO time for steeping. Only the time it took to build up my tank. And was very harsh on first hits. BUT, after it heated up in the tank it smoothed out CONSIDERABLY.

nico.png
Base 25 mg (70/30 VG/PG) 15.6ml 26%
pg.png
PG 9.72ml 16.2%
vg.png
VG 31.08ml 51.8%
flavor.png
Orange (in PG) 3.6 ml 6%

Totals
60ml 100%
Strength: 6.5 MG/ML
VG/PG-ratio: 70/30
Flavor total: 3.6 ml (6%)

Last edited:

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I think you'd enjoy 26/36ga a lot more, or even 2x28/38ga. 30ga for a Clapton wrap is just way too big. It's not very efficient at hearing and cooling (as a Clapton wrap). Hell, I use 30ga as core wires. 32ga ain't much better as a Clapton wrap, same goes for 34ga. At a minimum, look for 36ga or even better 38ga especially for lower wattage.

Supernoob

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor

I'm going to try some 22gauge round wire next. I know I'm a noob, but I honestly think kanthal clapton might not be the right thing. It just stays too hot too long. I also have some SS flat clapton....but one thing at a time.
I think you'd enjoy 26/36ga a lot more, or even 2x28/38ga. 30ga for a Clapton wrap is just way too big. It's not very efficient at hearing and cooling (as a Clapton wrap). Hell, I use 30ga as core wires. 32ga ain't much better as a Clapton wrap, same goes for 34ga. At a minimum, look for 36ga or even better 38ga especially for lower wattage.
Totally agree.That's been my experience so far. I did a lot of "research" before I began this. I would have bought different wire but I bought what the store had. In NY you can't get shipping for anything unless it's a NY store. I'll have a huge selection at some point. I saw an online resource or two that sells wire and ships but markets it as heating wire to get around the vape connection. We live in fkin clownworld. But I'll get my wire.

What are your thoughts on this, or am I too noob for SS just yet?VV 24x2+32.JPG

Supernoob

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor

My .38ohm build is vaping real nice today at 45 watts, 40% open airflow. It has settled in nicely. Very satisfying. I'm loving it so much I might not do my dailly coil change, lol. Nah, who am I kidding! :D

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
My .38ohm build is vaping real nice today at 45 watts, 40% open airflow. It has settled in nicely. Very satisfying. I'm loving it so much I might not do my dailly coil change, lol. Nah, who am I kidding! :D

Mama always told me....if it ain't broke, don't fix it! lol

ajvapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
experimentation is the key to success. I think a single coil build rta is the easiest to do this with. just my $ .02....YMMV

Supernoob

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
experimentation is the key to success. I think a single coil build rta is the easiest to do this with. just my $ .02....YMMV
Yes, and the tinkerer in me is loving it. There are so many nuances to it, I love it. Devil is in the details, like everything in life. And it's so satisfying to be vaping my own juice on my own coil. Wish I did this years ago. But I'm happy to take advantage of the veterans' knowledge.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What are your thoughts on this, or am I too noob for SS just yet?
VV 24x2+32.JPG
Its pretty big wire. You might be able to get away with dual coils but it's gonna ohm low. You're gonna run into the same problems but maybe not as noticable. I dunno. 2x24/32ga is old school "cloud wars" type wire IMO. It'll be able to handle some high wattage.

Supernoob

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Today gentlemen, I finally got some success. My ZX is finally functioning normally. Best wick job so far. I was going to resort to putting in the .4ohm x2 fancy coils it came with but I really wanted to get a medium vape in it making my own.

I used the 26g kanthal, small enough to heat up and cool down good. 5 wraps. Very carefully wicked.
.31 ohm and running real nice at 46 watts. That's probably the most medium I can get with this tank with my current wire supply. No spits, no leaks, no drinking juice. :D

My homemade juice on the other hand....needs work, lol. :p

1636228527050.png

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
That first pic was absolutely amazing for pretty much being your first successful build. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. You'll figure out the cotton amount, how to tuck it into the ports, etc... that's all secondary to the coil build. You'll also figure out that some RTA's require higher coils, some lower, and some in-between. It's best to start high and trim your way down if you are not familiar with a new RTA.

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Diy juice has a steep learning curve. Keep good notes on what you make. Hell so long as it is vapable you can count it as a win. But it gets easier and a hech of alota fun too.

Supernoob

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Diy juice has a steep learning curve. Keep good notes on what you make. Hell so long as it is vapable you can count it as a win. But it gets easier and a hech of alota fun too.
I'm happy to not be smoking. The rest is gravy. The government is the only thing in the way. As usual. I got one liter of nic, and I'll get a gallon by year end. I could vape unflavored if necessary.

Supernoob

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Stock up. The gov can do as they please and it won't effect me or many others here. As we r stocked up until we die. Lol
A liter should last me about 2-5 years. There is a lot of waste in big clouds, so I would vape accordingly if the nicpocolyse happens. I believe I take in 100mg a day to satisfy me. That's nearly 3 years. That would be vaping efficiently in high milligrams and low clouds.

My plan is to get a gallon by end of year. Then another gallon IF and when I can after that. That should do me till I'm dead or can't vape anymore. I would have been more prepared but I just began vaping 4 months ago.

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
O
A liter should last me about 2-5 years. There is a lot of waste in big clouds, so I would vape accordingly if the nicpocolyse happens. I believe I take in 100mg a day to satisfy me. That's nearly 3 years. That would be vaping efficiently in high milligrams and low clouds.

My plan is to get a gallon by end of year. Then another gallon IF and when I can after that. That should do me till I'm dead or can't vape anymore. I would have been more prepared but I just began vaping 4 months ago.
Odds are you will end up moving your mg per ml down in time. I was at 18mg for a long time but made the move to 3mg.

Supernoob

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Odds are you will end up moving your mg per ml down in time. I was at 18mg for a long time but made the move to 3mg.
I would definitely get frugal in the face of apocalypse. But right now, I'm vaping a 15mg mix in a .7 mtl and really satisfied. I was a heavy hardcore smoker.

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I was 3 packs a day for 20 plus years. I didnt go down to save on nicotine. I could vape 20mg now till im 80 and not run out. I mainly did it so my flavor would get off the charts better.

Supernoob

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
are you mixing in weight or volume
I haven't cracked open the liter yet. I'm just messing around with some 25mg unflavored 70/30 base.
I used a great calculator and did my first mix by volume. 6.5mg, 6% orange flavor, 70/30. Couldn't be easier. I used 2 different size syringes with 14awg blunt tips, and press-in bottle adapters to limit exposure for the VG and PG. As practice for how I will handle the nic after I rebottle it.
The calculator I used.

For this ~15mg stuff I mixed the base with my DIY orange by eyeball in a small 10ml, about 50/50. Added a few drops of lemon/lime.
That's my experience so far, lol.

I'm just messing around until I work out the details of how I will handle the nic. I have some good advice from the lab itself on how to keep the stash safe from oxidation. The proper method to ensure you open your bottles as few times as possible during their life. I didn't rush into this, did my homework.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I consume about 6 ml of 18 mg strength juice a day. 1 L usually gets me through about 9 months.

Supernoob

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
I consume about 6 ml of 18 mg strength juice a day. 1 L usually gets me through about 9 months.
1 liter of 18mg?

That works out to about 5.5 months, but generally in the range...you probably take in a bit less than you think overall.

In the examples above I'm talking about 100mg/ml nic base.

Interestingly, at 108mg a day (6x18), you do a similar amount as I estimate at about 100mg.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
That works out to about 5.5 months, but generally in the range...you probably take in a bit less than you think overall.

You're probably correct. I've only started noting about 6 ml daily over the last month or three. Before that, I was solidly at about 4 ml daily.

Supernoob

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
You're probably correct. I've only started noting about 6 ml daily over the last month or three. Before that, I was solidly at about 4 ml daily.
Tanks look real low when they have a lot left in them too sometimes. So if I go by refills it's not always accurate.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
If you need tips on DIY juice, give me a PM. BTW... I'm screwed (with all my experience and knowledge of DIY, I only have 200 ml of nic) Trying to make one last order before the tax kicks in.

Supernoob

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
I finally used the coils the Geekvape ZX came with, and I still am having problems. Used their good shoelace cotton and took care to carefully wick, strummed the coils, burning properly, etc....but I'm doing something wrong. The thing is producing lots of vapor but it spits some and it feels like it's vapor is not fine enough particles....if that makes sense. Tried from 50 to 8 5 watts. Coils come in at .18. No dry hits. Wick ends just tuckin, and not too dense.

I've rebuilt my mtl a dozen times successfully, so I'm familiar with strumming, tightness of wick, length of wick, etc. So I have no clue what I'm doing wrong here.

I have the sub ohm tank my mod came with. It's .2 and smooth as hell and very fine vapor with same juice, etc.. WTF am I doing wrong with the ZX?
11.12.21 ZX problem1.jpg

11.12.21 ZX problem2.jpg

11.12.21 ZX problem3.jpg

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Do you have room to push the coils farther apart from enter? Instead of directly parallel as you have them maybe a little more space offset would help.

Supernoob

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Do you have room to push the coils farther apart from enter? Instead of directly parallel as you have them maybe a little more space offset would help.
I can add space in the middle, if that's what you mean. There is space there to manipulate it in any direction. Not sure what you mean by the second sentence. If not parallel then do you mean crooked? Or do you mean to space the coils? Lol.

Anyway, I'm done with it for tonight, I have recipes to dream of, my brain is on my BullCity order. Lots of good stuff coming. And I'm getting some fully setup RDA's from another member here, maybe I can see what I'm doing wrong. Maybe there is more voodoo to it than I'm thinking. I'm glad my Ares2 is not finicky like this....that thing is practically foolproof.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I can add space in the middle, if that's what you mean. There is space there to manipulate it in any direction. Not sure what you mean by the second sentence. If not parallel then do you mean crooked? Or do you mean to space the coils? Lol.

Well not crooked, yes more space in the middle. Was thinking also a perpendicular offsetting. *chuckles* That might sound crooked. Hm, opposing ends maybe a mm or two offset.

Supernoob

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Well not crooked, yes more space in the middle. Was thinking also a perpendicular offsetting. *chuckles* That might sound crooked. Hm, opposing ends maybe a mm or two offset.
"Fixed". It wasn't the coil placement. For some reason....maybe because it's Ni80 coils?.....but the thing is working like a dream at 35-40 watts. Even though it reads .18ohms.

Just as a comparative side note.....Vaping 6mg, 65/35, DIY unflavored, and its VERY smooth compared to my Ares2 with 12mg. It hits me stronger in the 6mg with the ZX. And it's much cooler and nearly no zingy/peppery. The particles are clearly finer and that HAS to contribute to proper nic uptake. I went from hating this thing to loving it just by changing the wattage. I'm learnin....

VU Sponsors