Become a Patron!

My First RTA build.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
That's the good in vaping. We all learn. One day X with Y might do well for you, the next you need Z. I might like A & B but not C one day, the next I try C again and like it. And we each have to learn and do for ourselves.

Yes we can come here and get some general advice. I tried different coil placement once on an RDA. It had started spitting back. This is why I suggested that. Besides that I was also thinking along what I use, mechanical.

I learn to try thinking further outside of what I use. I do most of the time but sometimes can own up to being "lazy". Which brings up a further point about humanity in vaping. Much as we all need to learn for ourselves, we each need to enjoy for ourselves.

Contrite as sounds, "you do you & I'll do me" with vaping is about the "best" we'll have. General advice here is okay. Often though it's difficult to gain learning, or convey it for everyone "doing their own thing". There's nothing negative in that, "it is what it is". A lot of folks though wind up not "getting" that.

Well, I'll digress to keep from rambling already too much.

Goober me the other day finally figured out, there's one hole off to itself on the Redemption RDA's airflow sleeve. Why is that "something"? Well, I was using dual airflow and it was alright. Found the single for using single coils. Damn! So much better. :)

But yeah it was a D'oh moment for me. "You silly idjit didn't see that before huh?" *smh* The price o' being human. *chuckles*

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
"Fixed". It wasn't the coil placement. For some reason....maybe because it's Ni80 coils?.....but the thing is working like a dream at 35-40 watts. Even though it reads .18ohms.

Just as a comparative side note.....Vaping 6mg, 65/35, DIY unflavored, and its VERY smooth compared to my Ares2 with 12mg. It hits me stronger in the 6mg with the ZX. And it's much cooler and nearly no zingy/peppery. The particles are clearly finer and that HAS to contribute to proper nic uptake. I went from hating this thing to loving it just by changing the wattage. I'm learnin....

Sometimes I have a little bit of a problem with spitting and/or gurgling right after I refill a Zeus RTA. I take a Kleenex, twist one corner of it into a long point that will go down into the chimney (from the drip tip, pointed down toward the coils), stick it down in there and let it soak up the excess liquid. That usually only happens, though, if I've overfilled the tank a little, or if I've let it sit for several days without being used.

You do have to play with wattage, no matter your coils or the RTA you're using. Where it's happy is just where it's happy, if you know what I mean.

I have a Haar RTA clone that I built at 0.22 ohms and I run it at about 27.5 watts. That's just where it works best for me. Doesn't necessarily have to make sense to run it lower, where you have to be careful is running higher, both in terms of the durability of your coil and the load on your battery and mod.

Supernoob

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
That's the good in vaping. We all learn. One day X with Y might do well for you, the next you need Z. I might like A & B but not C one day, the next I try C again and like it. And we each have to learn and do for ourselves.

Yes we can come here and get some general advice. I tried different coil placement once on an RDA. It had started spitting back. This is why I suggested that. Besides that I was also thinking along what I use, mechanical.

I learn to try thinking further outside of what I use. I do most of the time but sometimes can own up to being "lazy". Which brings up a further point about humanity in vaping. Much as we all need to learn for ourselves, we each need to enjoy for ourselves.

Contrite as sounds, "you do you & I'll do me" with vaping is about the "best" we'll have. General advice here is okay. Often though it's difficult to gain learning, or convey it for everyone "doing their own thing". There's nothing negative in that, "it is what it is". A lot of folks though wind up not "getting" that.

Well, I'll digress to keep from rambling already too much.

Goober me the other day finally figured out, there's one hole off to itself on the Redemption RDA's airflow sleeve. Why is that "something"? Well, I was using dual airflow and it was alright. Found the single for using single coils. Damn! So much better. :)

But yeah it was a D'oh moment for me. "You silly idjit didn't see that before huh?" *smh* The price o' being human. *chuckles*
:D I'm quite ok with rambling. Lol. I pick up far more when people "ramble". I like playing with these things, I have no problem with this as an adventure.....as long as I have other things to vape in case things go wrong. So any postings about me having trouble is just me sharing and documenting the ride.

What I'm really struck by is the ability for sub-ohms to smooth out the nic's pepperyness. That Ares2 is awesome for an mtl but it can have an inexperienced person like me think they got shitty nic. I've tested all my devices with my unflavored mixes and subohm is truly the best. The Ares is too hot, which I think is what affects that pepperyness, aside from the fact its 12mg. The ZX doesn't bite me or wear my tongue out. Liking it a lot. THIS morning. LOL.

Supernoob

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Sometimes I have a little bit of a problem with spitting and/or gurgling right after I refill a Zeus RTA. I take a Kleenex, twist one corner of it into a long point that will go down into the chimney (from the drip tip, pointed down toward the coils), stick it down in there and let it soak up the excess liquid. That usually only happens, though, if I've overfilled the tank a little, or if I've let it sit for several days without being used.

You do have to play with wattage, no matter your coils or the RTA you're using. Where it's happy is just where it's happy, if you know what I mean.

I have a Haar RTA clone that I built at 0.22 ohms and I run it at about 27.5 watts. That's just where it works best for me. Doesn't necessarily have to make sense to run it lower, where you have to be careful is running higher, both in terms of the durability of your coil and the load on your battery and mod.
Good info. Yes, I'm learning to start low and go by feel. AND to allow things to settle in.

Funny story about my Geekvape L200. I switch to my Zenith2 tank with a .48 coil while the mod was still at 70 watts. WOW! Won't be making that mistake again! The L200 doesn't always remind you that you just put a new tank on. Sometimes it does. This is a negative feature to say the least! That coil fried in one second flat! And the taste....OMG!

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Good info. Yes, I'm learning to start low and go by feel. AND to allow things to settle in.

Funny story about my Geekvape L200. I switch to my Zenith2 tank with a .48 coil while the mod was still at 70 watts. WOW! Won't be making that mistake again! The L200 doesn't always remind you that you just put a new tank on. Sometimes it does. This is a negative feature to say the least! That coil fried in one second flat! And the taste....OMG!

That's strange, and a bad oversight on Geekvape's part. I have a bunch of their mods and can't think of one of mine that doesn't ask me "is this a new coil?" or something like, at least on all the regulated mods. I bet that was a real treat; a dry, burnt hit from hell, sounds like.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
What I'm really struck by is the ability for sub-ohms to smooth out the nic's pepperyness.

Part of why I enjoy around 0.30 coils. Did use some tanks, way back. Tried an RDA tough and found it better suited. At any given have always used 18mg/ml nicotine. For the most part its always been "smooth" for me. A short while back, I made a fumble and got a dry hit. *shivers, twitches* Now I text myself reminders, "squonk it first."

Supernoob

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
That's strange, and a bad oversight on Geekvape's part. I have a bunch of their mods and can't think of one of mine that doesn't ask me "is this a new coil?" or something like, at least on all the regulated mods. I bet that was a real treat; a dry, burnt hit from hell, sounds like.
Gave a new meaning to "burnt hit".

Yeah, the GV doesn't always ask. And sometimes it will ask after I've already started vaping the switched tank. THAT's when I get the surprise dry hit...but it's not really a dry hit because it's just not firing. Like when you don't hit the button hard enough. It's like a dry NON hit. Kind of like sipping the glass of water when you think it's iced-tea.

Supernoob

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Part of why I enjoy around 0.30 coils. Did use some tanks, way back. Tried an RDA tough and found it better suited. At any given have always used 18mg/ml nicotine. For the most part its always been "smooth" for me. A short while back, I made a fumble and got a dry hit. *shivers, twitches* Now I text myself reminders, "squonk it first."
Damn, you do 18mg on a .3? That's a little too tuffguy for me! :p

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Sometimes, coils (both drop-in and rebuildables) don't behave as expected. I have a Vaporesso NRG tank with a 0.15 ohm coil (rated at 50 watts plus) that vapes fine at 45 watts. I have a RTA with a home-wound coil (26 ga, 7.5 wraps, 3mm ID) that comes out to 1.2 ohms... needs 25 watts and works fine (RTAs seem to be like that... slightly higher watts than drop-in coils) I'm glad you are working this all out (I've been doing this for awhile and still learning)
Short story: Built a RTA with nickel coil and my mod is "touch screen" that if you set the power, times out after 20-30 seconds and locks the settings. Wasn't paying attention and it hadn't locked the setting and went to full 220 watts. Instantly fried the coil (actually melted the coil leads) Forget burned cotton... I got a full blown nickel coil meltdown hit... not good. Always keep an eye on your mod resistance readings and power (watts) 18 mg at 0.3ohms... well I once forgot and did 12 mg on a RDA (didn't take long to figure out that was a mistake) Well. I guess it was a long story LOL.

Supernoob

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
The Geekvape ZX is running VERY nice lately! With the Ni80 coils, .2ohm, 44 watts....it's KILLING it! Runs far smoother with flavored liquid....don't ask why, no clue. I feel it comes to temperature faster.

Vapes awesome with my first 2 DIY mixes. The flavor is INCREDIBLE. I even used it like a dripper between changing flavors....I dunno if that's proper, but it works! Very happy with the ZX.....today...lol. Even happier with my mixes. Double Apple, and Orange Candy Cotton.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The Geekvape ZX is running VERY nice lately! With the Ni80 coils, .2ohm, 44 watts....it's KILLING it! Runs far smoother with flavored liquid....don't ask why, no clue. I feel it comes to temperature faster.
:wave: Good for you. I didn't mention it, but stayed up for hours watching videos an that RTA (it's one I was interested in anyway) Leave a bit more space between the coils and "fluff" the cotton (like I even know what I'm talking about... still learning too) Now DIY mixing... I have learned so much so feel free to PM me about that.

Keep in mind, this is to answer the question of the current coils I'm using, not the ones in the picture, that didn't work at all.

Currently I have 5-6 wraps and spaced, reading .45. I've tried from 28 watts to 45. And similar things happen. Cool at first, then when it heats up its warm and flavorful, then the third puff.....potential danger. Airflow from 20% to 100% same thing.

I'm still making it work only because I'm nearly out of juice and don't want to rebuild till I reup my supply, you go through a lot of juice playing with coils and rewicking.

I just received shipment of DIY gear, and I'm just waiting on the nic which should be here Saturday. After that, you will see many pics from me as I experiment. I really like this, it's a fun hobby.
Greetings Supernoob:) Welcome to the wonderful / and sometimes frustrating world or rebuildables. Glad to hear you finally achieved an acceptable vape. A friendly hint ...Getting familiar with Ohm's Law. really helps me when choosing the right coil build for a deck.
Nadalama had some great pointers. If your journey is anything like mine it won't be too long before you are researching the cloud chasing RTA attys ie...28mm QP Violator / 35mm Steam Crave Ragnar.

VU Sponsors