Become a Patron!

My thoughts and experiments on vaping-related headaches

Th3_uN1Qu3

Member For 1 Year
I've been getting some headaches lately and was wondering if vaping could have anything to do with them. So i messed around with the juices and started to draw some preliminary conclusions.

Sometimes, I definitely drink less water than i should, and this likely plays a big role. I need to drink quite a bit of water to function optimally, more than some other people, and i sweat a lot in the summer. I know that both PG and VG tend to suck water out of the body so I will be hydrating myself more. It could be the nicotine level, the fact that i've been playing with higher PG in my juices lately, or some of the flavors I have are crap. I remember getting a headache from some cheap Liqua juice when i first started vaping, and have avoided that brand since.

I am kinda doubtful it is the nicotine as i was vaping 6-8ml per day of 6mg/ml juice not too long ago, then have gone down to 4 and 3mg/ml, I am vaping a bit more of this, but not by much. Maybe my new coil builds are more efficient in delivering nicotine, or maybe i just need to avoid PG altogether, although i haven't had any issues with 75/25 VG/PG and have used this base for all my juices until recently, when i started experimenting with more PG.

For now, I have cut down some of my 3mg juice to about half, using 100% VG base and have gone thru 2ml in less than an hour for clouds and experiments' sake. No headache, while it was there less than 2 hours ago.

One thing to note is that it seems to work both ways - if i have a headache due to another reason, like having to work/concentrate on something for a long time, especially if it involved straining my eyes, taking a break and blowing some nice clouds will make it go away.

Thoughts welcome.

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Too much and/or not enough of something can give you a headache. If you are broken, fix whats broken and reap the reward. If I vape 6mg nic all night, there will be no sleep. If there is no sleep after a few days shit starts getting weird and I start getting headaches. So I vape 3mg nic at night and cut it off an hour or so before bed when I can stand it.

Th3_uN1Qu3

Member For 1 Year
Haven't had any issues sleeping, and i do vape a little before bed.

As a matter of fact, i don't know if they are related or just coincidence, but since quitting tobacco I have been sleeping better. :)

No headache with the dilluted juice last night. I will finish this juice with weaker nicotine and high VG, then try with just one or the other (more nicotine/higher PG), to figure out exactly what's caused it.

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Quitting smoking will definitely cause you to sleep better. Its been a decade or more but pretty sure I used to wake up to go smoke every night. Maybe you are vaping too much and by diluting the juice nicotine down you are getting what you need. Glad it worked out.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I vape 3MG from the time I open my eyes until the time I close them. Rarely get headaches and when I do I can attribute it to other things. When I was vaping 24-36MG I did get Nic Sick a few times and that resulted in a nasty headache but those tended to go away in an hour or so. Good Luck

Th3_uN1Qu3

Member For 1 Year
Ok, so further developments.

In the past 2 days I have been vaping the juices i had already made, with 3 and 4mg/ml nic, withou dilluting them any further. No headache. Today I bought the RTA kit for my Cleito atomizer and only had the watermelon juice left which is 2.5mg/ml (where i'd spilled more flavor than i should've). Took 3 or 4 puffs and bam, instant headache.

Waited for the headache to go away so I poured that back in the bottle and put in 100% VG liquid, only base, no flavor, no nicotine. Feeling fine. Added a few drops of my favorite tobacco flavor. Still fine. Will add some nicotine later, right now i don't feel a need for that.

So i've narrowed it down to 2 things so far - that watermelon flavor, or maybe i'm taking in too much nicotine at a time. With the stock coils of the Cleito i used to draw shorter puffs as not to overheat them, while with my SS rebuild and now the RTA i inhale for longer as accidentally burning the wick is out of the question with TC mode.

Th3_uN1Qu3

Member For 1 Year
After vaping 0mg half the day, i refilled the tank with one of my nicotine-containing liquids, can't remember if it's 3mg/ml or 4mg. I instantly felt the hit from the nicotine, in a good way.

So in the end, i guess it was just crap flavor. Thanks for the feedback everyone. :)

Th3_uN1Qu3

Member For 1 Year
Just went thru what was left of some 100% PG liquid i did as a flavor experiment. No headache with this either. So it was also not the PG. Case closed.

VU Sponsors