Become a Patron!

gyturzaeta

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi! I'm new to vaping and I have this tesla steampunk 120w mod. I built a dual clapton with 6wraps 2.5mm and it reads at .27 ohms. I started chain vaping and the mod just heats up. I'm using an Icon RDA btw. Then when I switch to my other atty which is a vapebreed atty that reads at .3 ohms(6wraps,3mm), it doesn't really heat up. Is this normal or should I be worried and change the build on the icon RDA? Thanks!

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The same build will not work exactly the same way in 2 different attys.
overall design and airflow are major factors in the performance of an atty.

gyturzaeta

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The same build will not work exactly the same way in 2 different attys.
overall design and airflow are major factors in the performance of an atty.

So should I build the icon with higher ohms so my mod won't heat up? I'm getting worried because this might not be safe.

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The most likely scenario is that your atomiser is very hot and the metal body of the mod is heating up because of it. I would get the batteries and see if they are hot, most likely they are not and thats ok. If they are very hot too - that is bad.

gyturzaeta

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The most likely scenario is that your atomiser is very hot and the metal body of the mod is heating up because of it. I would get the batteries and see if they are hot, most likely they are not and thats ok. If they are very hot too - that is bad.

They did get a bit hot. But these batteries are kinda brand new, just bought them about 2-3weeks ago.

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They did get a bit hot. But these batteries are kinda brand new, just bought them about 2-3weeks ago.
The batteries should be nowhere near as hot as the atty / mod. If that is the case then its just the atomiser heating up the mod. If they are hot like the atty something is wrong.

gyturzaeta

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The batteries should be nowhere near as hot as the atty / mod. If that is the case then its just the atomiser heating up the mod. If they are hot like the atty something is wrong.

Well the batteries ain't as hot as the mod. Just a little hot. So is this kinda dangerous even on a variable? Would building it back to around .3 or .4 ohms be safer?

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well the batteries ain't as hot as the mod. Just a little hot. So is this kinda dangerous even on a variable? Would building it back to around .3 or .4 ohms be safer?
Sounds like its just a HOT running atomiser, I don't have an icon so I don't know ...maybe someone that does will answer.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
depends on how you adjust the power/wattage.
100watts at .4 ohms is the same heat as 100 watts at .1 ohms.

gyturzaeta

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
depends on how you adjust the power/wattage.
100watts at .4 ohms is the same heat as 100 watts at .1 ohms.

I usually vape at 60w-75w. I just really want the flavor. I'd appreciate it if you can recommend a safe build for a lot of flavor. :)

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have an Icon RDA and a Wotofo Lush Plus RDA..Both make the top piece of my Smok Alien 220 hot to the point of being concerned. Batteries get warm which is normal. I believe it's the metal on metal factor as the heat transfers from atty to mod. I just slowed down the frequency of my puffs to the point that it doesn't happen and if it does I let it sit. It's kind of annoying and yeah it doesn't "feel safe" I think I prefer tanks and that problem doesn't happen with tanks.

gyturzaeta

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have an Icon RDA and a Wotofo Lush Plus RDA..Both make the top piece of my Smok Alien 220 hot to the point of being concerned. Batteries get warm which is normal. I believe it's the metal on metal factor as the heat transfers from atty to mod. I just slowed down the frequency of my puffs to the point that it doesn't happen and if it does I let it sit. It's kind of annoying and yeah it doesn't "feel safe" I think I prefer tanks and that problem doesn't happen with tanks.

Thanks. How do you build your Icon?

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Like smaller diameter coils? Wouldn't that lessen the flavor?
Maybe.. but then does more mean better....

Smaller in mass actually....the amount of heat generated and transfered is proportional to the mass of metal on the coil..
flavor. Is more about efficiently atomizing or vaporizing GOOD Ejuice. It is also more dependant on surface area than mass......

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Tanks have better liquid coiling..... juice acts as a heat sink. Just take longer to heat em up.

Mods and atties get hot cause you sucking on a 400f degree plus coil. Moving and regulating electrons creates heat in the mods circuitry. Simple as that.

gyturzaeta

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Maybe.. but then does more mean better....

Smaller in mass actually....the amount of heat generated and transfered is proportional to the mass of metal on the coil..
flavor. Is more about efficiently atomizing or vaporizing GOOD Ejuice. It is also more dependant on surface area than mass......

So, if it's more dependant on the surface area, should I build more wraps on 3mm to make it safer and to avoid it heating up?

VU Sponsors