NATIVE WICKS - REVIEW

rolltidevaper

Still here! Just covered up with "life"
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
This is my first review and I hope some find it useful. Unfortunately I'll probably write the same way I talk and spending all my life in the deep south and Texas that might prove interesting. At least you don't have to listen to the drawl :)

Before I begin I want to say that I purchased this product and it was not sent to me for review. However since receiving it I have had contact with the vendor and I have been quite pleased with their responsiveness. Also, these are my opinions and findings. As with many facets of vaping my views are subjective.

Native Wicks is a USA Pima Cotton wicking material. It is not treated with any pesticides or chemicals. It is "combed" to rid it of any impurities. I will paste below directly from Nativewickscotton.com:

Native Wicks is a premium Pima cotton grown in the USA. Arizona to be exact. Hand-crafted from its birth in the field and through many strenuous production process steps. It is rigidly cared for and inspected before eventually making it to the inside of your atomizer. Native Wicks is designed specifically for the use of vaping—this is not your normal re-packaged cotton.

Our premium grade cotton contains zero pesticides, chemicals or natural oils found in most other brands of cotton that aren't intended for vaping. Native Wicks cotton doesn't have a "break in period" and provides a clean flavor from your first pull to the last. It is extremely heat resistant and absorbent making it great for all your vaping needs.

I found this product to be generally easy to work with and because of the way it is packaged had much less waste than with traditional Japanese cotton(JC). Because of it's packaging, rolled in a "hockey puck" container you have more control of the amount you cut. Instead of cutting a length of JC and trimming off nearly half of it, you can cut this in almost exact sizes for wicking. It is about 1 inch wide and because of the way it's combed, it is almost sectioned for perfect wick widths. I have been able to get 3 to 4 wicks out of a 1 inch by 1 inch section, using 2.5-3mm coils. It comes 36 inches per container which will give me around 100 wicks. (I purchased this from litecigusa.net at the cost of 7.99. That would work out to about .08 cents per wick)

This wicking material is very dense, much more so than JC. Unless you are using coils larger than 3mm you will not need more than about 1/3 width. I did find it necessary to "wet" the end for inserting in the coil due to the fact that this cotton "fluffs" back up quickly. I would "roll" it tight to get it in the coil and then "unroll" it back to its original state.

For me, the two most impressive attributes of this cotton were 1. "taste" - there was no break in period and no "cotton" taste. I use 50/50 and 60/40 vg high juices which had full and clean flavor. 2. - "durability" - I am in my second week with wicks in my RTA's. With traditional JC I would re-wick every 3-4 days. Being able to use a wick for this extended period also reduces cost greatly.

Finally, I was fearful that due to the density of this cotton it would not wick well. That has not been my experience. In my RDA's and RTA's I have found that this cotton has saturated easily and wicked well. I can not speak to "high" VG juices (greater than 60/40). I have also been impressed at how well this product has held up to high temperature. When re-wicking my RDA's even the wick that is in the coil is still completely in tact. If anything I have to cut it to remove it. Holds up well!!! (I am using with Kanthal and Nickel builds)

I personally, highly recommend Native Wicks! My experience has been nothing but good!! It is the only material I amFullSizeRender-4.jpg FullSizeRender-5.jpg FullSizeRender-6.jpg FullSizeRender-7.jpg currently using! I will post a few pictures of how it comes and a couple of builds. The build in my dripper is the initial build and after a few days of use. You can see how well it holds up.

Last edited:

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
That's always been my complaint with the JC cotton, that it required wicking more frequently and the taste muted out rather quickly. This was a great read and very interesting, at that.

So the last pic is days after? That's impressive. Very good review, thanks!

rolltidevaper

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
That's always been my complaint with the JC cotton, that it required wicking more frequently and the taste muted out rather quickly. This was a great read and very interesting, at that.

So the last pic is days after? That's impressive. Very good review, thanks!
Yes, I DIY my own juice and it's very light in color, but my JC doesn't look like that after a day or two. I'm on about day 9 in my Kayfun Lite with a 1.0 Kanthal build and still no flavor muting.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Sounds great. I switched from JC to Rayon because of all that and I DIY, too. I still have quite a bit of Rayon (not the bog ass box most have), but will keep this one in mind. Thanks!

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
Just got mine in today. Going to wind new nickle coils for billows v2 and wick with this stuff. It looks divine :)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 Dumbphone

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
It looks amazing and reviews I watched are all favorable. Got my rta in the UC now. Wanted to start with a super clean setup

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Nice review!

How much did that puck cost?

It doesn't look like it is sold anywhere near me but I suspect ( haven't looked yet ) that I might be able to find it online somewhere.

rolltidevaper

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Nice review!

How much did that puck cost?

It doesn't look like it is sold anywhere near me but I suspect ( haven't looked yet ) that I might be able to find it online somewhere.
Hey NGA - I purchased it for 7.95 (pretty common price) from litecigusa.net and their shipping was quick. If you check nativewickscotton.com they have a list of vendors.

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hey NGA - I purchased it for 7.95 (pretty common price) from litecigusa.net and their shipping was quick. If you check nativewickscotton.com they have a list of vendors.

Thanks! I think I'm going to give this a try, it sounds great.

Yeah I did check that website but didn't find anyone carrying it near me unfortunately; I might of missed it but it looked like they were only listing local vendors. I don't mind ordering it online and waiting a bit though, I have a ton of rayon and KGD to hold me over. :)

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
I got mine from kidney puncher for bout same price. Shipped same day I ordered. Ordered on Tues and in my mail on Thursday. Arizona to NY. Nice

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
Sorry for the delay on this but with good reason. I received my native wick late Thursday and wicked my billows v2 Friday am before departing on a long weekend camping trip. I brought another tank but it was damaged immediately due to my own stupidity. That left me with only the new wicks in the billows. So over a long hard partying weekend I vaped close to 100 ml of high custard juice through these puppies. Flavor was just as intense today when I RE wicked as it was the first day. I only RE wicked because I'm home now and coils themselves look shot. Pictures are of the deck before RE wicking. U can see the inside of the wick still look decent. Rest are pictures today with new wicks. These should price the point. Get these awesome native wicks
f6e6bf5d76a2888d548795eaf470b569.jpg

0eb5a5799cf72273ae36c809adaa44d0.jpg

8bdb3ccb40d449556df6bd262f9ecc32.jpg

52ac90ce194da8e47864ec0c51b0ee20.jpg

10cae969a5cb4c5616c018e53b052df3.jpg

rolltidevaper

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Sorry for the delay on this but with good reason. I received my native wick late Thursday and wicked my billows v2 Friday am before departing on a long weekend camping trip. I brought another tank but it was damaged immediately due to my own stupidity. That left me with only the new wicks in the billows. So over a long hard partying weekend I vaped close to 100 ml of high custard juice through these puppies. Flavor was just as intense today when I RE wicked as it was the first day. I only RE wicked because I'm home now and coils themselves look shot. Pictures are of the deck before RE wicking. U can see the inside of the wick still look decent. Rest are pictures today with new wicks. These should price the point. Get these awesome native wicks
f6e6bf5d76a2888d548795eaf470b569.jpg

0eb5a5799cf72273ae36c809adaa44d0.jpg

8bdb3ccb40d449556df6bd262f9ecc32.jpg

52ac90ce194da8e47864ec0c51b0ee20.jpg

10cae969a5cb4c5616c018e53b052df3.jpg

Found the same! I think these wicks might outlast the coil. I'm over 2 weeks into my Kayfun 3.1 with a nickel build and still getting great flavor and good vapor. I've probably changed a couple builds just because I thought I should, not because I needed to. Glad you like it!!!!!

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
Found the same! I think these wicks might outlast the coil. I'm over 2 weeks into my Kayfun 3.1 with a nickel build and still getting great flavor and good vapor. I've probably changed a couple builds just because I thought I should, not because I needed to. Glad you like it!!!!!
Exactly true. These should outlast the coils. I've never seen mine look so bad but hit great at same time. I'd recommend these to anyone. Next I might try to rewick Atlantis coil with it see how awesome those might become lolol

Dark Kys

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
One of my local stores here sells Native Wicks. As I wasn't really happy with the JC I had been using I decided to give this stuff a try. Been using it for months now without a single complaint. The packaging is much less wasteful than the standard pads that JC is sold in here, so I get way more usable product. It's a bit more money but the less waste more than makes up for it. I find that the width of the wick when torn down the middle fits perfectly into 3mm diameter coils. Just like the OP said however I do need to wet the wick to slide it through the coils and it fluffs back up easily.

On the off chance there isn't quite enough juice on my wicks and get a dry hit it's way less awful than a dry hit on JC. And the best part I can re-juice it straight away and not even notice that I had a dry hit.

I find that I need to clean my coils long before these wicks need to be changed.

Edit: added picture. Wicks used about 5 days with a few dry hits throughout. Barely show use.
e669f8f3696492305c8e44c3e2e785bc.jpg

Last edited:

rolltidevaper

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Just an update about a giveaway! It will be coming in the next few days. There will be more than 1 winner :) Keep a look out!!!!!

Edit - I can tell you it will be a US only giveaway! Sorry, but I'm covering the shipping and want to keep it simple and cost effective. It would probably cost more to send it internationally than what it would cost to just purchase the product.

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
Just an update about a giveaway! It will be coming in the next few days. There will be more than 1 winner :) Keep a look out!!!!!
I will be watching. These wicks kick ass. There isnt any better cotton wick that I have tried. Their longevity is unbelievable. Your coils need dry burning or replacing before the wicks do

eris667

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Been using JC for a while now, wicking less often sounds good to me! TY for the Contest!

thewanderernick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks man I definitely wouldn't mind trying something that works better than what I am currently on.

Vaperjim

Not here for the Drama!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank you for the review rolltidevaper. I don't want in your drawing, but thanks for doing it. I've tried several wicking materials. Going to order some now because of your review. I'll mention what a great spokesperson you are for them, while ordering. Thanks again. Jim .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Demoniacal

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
sounds like I need to give this a shot, I've been pretty happy with the JC, but I do have to rewick about every two or three days, if this stuff lasts longer it would make my life easier.

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Looks good, I haven't been re building or dripping myself, but I have been rewicking some of my coils with mixed results, but this definitely looks promising.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Certainly a review that makes one want to try this...Thanks for the opportunity with the contest.

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I already said as much but since he is not counting earlier posts I'll say it again .. nice review! ;)

I would like to try this but I already have so much KGD and rayon, it's hard to justify buying more wicking material. :(

Yeah, I'll prolly end up getting some anyway! :D

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It's always interesting to try new wicking material, perhaps native wicks might be better then Japanese cotton. Hoping to find out.

thewanderernick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah nice review there is so much cotton to choose from these days. This does look like some quality stuff.

VU Sponsors