Become a Patron!

Need advice on my new RTA

Hello! I got a Sigelei Moonshot RTA, and while I absolutely love its performance, I had some issues that I need some advise on. When I was building it using 24 gauge Kanthal A1, I was getting vastly different readings on both my Smok Alien, and my generic minitab. Sometimes I would make a build the way I liked it, and wicked it, and then when I put together the entire tank which was supposed to have an ohm reading of around 0.4 my Alien read it as 1.xx or even 2.xx. I tried to dry burn the coils on my minitab, but it did not want to work. It read the ohms, but didn't want to dry burn. Is there a minitab that anyone recommends where I could dry burn my coils? I was using my mod to dry burn the coils when priming it, and after I primed it, my mod read the ohms really high, in the 1.xx-2.xx range. Could it be because the coils were hot, and the mod thought it was a new coil with a much higher rating? Also, I would frequently get a message on my mod saying that the ohms were to low, or that there was no coil even though the tank was on my mod. Last night I made a new build, which was turning out to be great, but when I put the whole tank together and fired it, I saw a bright flash in the tank, and a burning smell. Doe anyone know what I could be doing wrong? Also does anyone know where I can buy replacement screws and what size screw driver I would need? The RTA came with an allen wrench, but I found it to be to small in my big hands, and I would like replacement screws just in case.

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Sounds like your build is touching the chamber walls to me. The moonshot is cramped to build, so you need to make sure the coils are isolated and not touching anything when fully constructed.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sounds like your build is touching the chamber walls to me. The moonshot is cramped to build, so you need to make sure the coils are isolated and not touching anything when fully constructed.
That would not make the resistance go up. It’s not a short.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Make sure the coil legs are making good and secure connection and not touching barrel or chimney.
Trust the Tab Mini reading.
When you put it on diff mods, do the mods ask anything about it being a new [different] coil? Or are they one of those that automatically read the resistance when you screw it on ~

Make sure the coil legs are making good and secure connection and not touching barrel or chimney.
Trust the Tab Mini reading.
When you put it on diff mods, do the mods ask anything about it being a new [different] coil? Or are they one of those that automatically read the resistance when you screw it on ~
It automatically reads the ohms when I put on a tank. The only box mod I own is my amok alien.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
It automatically reads the ohms when I put on a tank. The only box mod I own is my amok alien.
OK, make sure the coils are well connected and not touching anything else once you assemble it.
Check the reading on the Tab, then the mod.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I just saw your Tab is generic, not Coil Master so I don't know how trusting it is, presumably ok, but once you rebuild and compare to the mod, you will see.

I made new build today, which is the third one so far, and the fastest one that took me to complete, haha. I put coils in the deck and made sure to keep the screws tight as I went along. When I put it in my Tab it read at about 0.44, and since I cannot dry fire it on my Tab I put it one my mod, and after dry firing it, it read at 0.505, and I got no leaking what so ever. I am really loving this tank, but does anyone have any suggestions on a Tab that will allow me to dry fire the coils, since mine will only read it and not fire it?

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You don't need a tab to dry fire the coils. Just visually inspect the coils after you mounted them, verify that they are secure, also make sure nothing will be touching them after you close up the tank, and, re-check on that a few times every once in a while during the first week or so of daily use. They can move slowly out of position during that initial period of time. So, re-position them if necessary, before their misalignment grows worse and before they might eventually be touching the inside of the tank. Measure the ohms with both the tab and the mod. Measure the ohms before dry firing, and, measure the ohms once more before starting to vape on it.

P.S. - Forgot to mention that you can just use the mod to dry fire the coils. Those Coil Master tabs typically don't last very long if you keep using them to dry fire your new coils.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You don't need a tab to dry fire the coils. Just visually inspect the coils after you mounted them, verify that they are secure, also make sure nothing will be touching them after you close up the tank, and, re-check on that a few times every once in a while during the first week or so of daily use. They can move slowly out of position during that initial period of time. So, re-position them if necessary, before their misalignment grows worse and before they might eventually be touching the inside of the tank. Measure the ohms with both the tab and the mod. Measure the ohms before dry firing, and, measure the ohms once more before starting to vape on it.

P.S. - Forgot to mention that you can just use the mod to dry fire the coils. Those Coil Master tabs typically don't last very long if you keep using them to dry fire your new coils.
Wow that's the first I've ever heard of coils repositioning themselves. I figured that's why you dry fire. To make sure there's no distortion, burn off any grime and oil for cheaper wire and working out hotspots. Never actually had coils move or shift but never looked for that either because I've never heard of it

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Never actually had coils move or shift but never looked for that either because I've never heard of it.

A person can hear all kinds of stuff on the Internet & Web. For example, recently heard the speed of light & gravity are the same. I do not know if that is factual, or not. I do not care if it is or not, either. Merely providing an example of stuff one can hear.

Usually, as in a general case, if one tightens the post fasteners down well coil wire will not shift, or move. THIS HAS BEEN MY EXPERIENCE, AT LEAST. Apologies for the bold capitals, thought I should be clear though. Excuse me, could write more but choose rather to not. Sorry, just rather stay quiet.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
In 7 years of vaping I’ve not noticed it. I’ll a
throw the atty on a regulated box just to make sure it’s still sound after rewicking and dry burning; but, I’ve never used a tab. I’ve always kept a regulated box close to where I do my builds though. Kind of the same thing in theory. I figure if I’m going to spend money on something to fire an atty, I’ll make it a mod.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Wow that's the first I've ever heard of coils repositioning themselves. I figured that's why you dry fire. To make sure there's no distortion, burn off any grime and oil for cheaper wire and working out hotspots. Never actually had coils move or shift but never looked for that either because I've never heard of it
Dry firing does stabilize the coil build, yes of course, but not necessarily always in full.

With Ni80 alien coils at high wattages, for example, after about a whole week of all day use the displacement can be up to 2mm or maybe more, enough to get yourself into trouble if there's not much space around them to begin with. Even if they end up not touching anything on the inside of the atomizer, the flavor performance can start to suffer. With an RTA after the first few days of vaping on a pair of new coils, remembering to check them one time before you refill the RTA yet again is never a bad idea. Whereas with an RDA, you can always pull the top cap off after you vape the RDA almost dry. But it's still easy to forget if you are new to high wattage vaping on Ni80 complex coil builds. During the second week of all day use the displacement typically will be much more subtle. So, after that, I only check my coils each time when I'm going to rewick.

I was Vaping on my moonshot today, and it leaked after I refilled it. I think I must have not wicked it well enough, so I removed the tank to clean up the eJuice, and my mod read the ohms at 0.442

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
P.S. - Forgot to mention that you can just use the mod to dry fire the coils. Those Coil Master tabs typically don't last very long if you keep using them to dry fire your new coils
They're cheap and they're not surgically accurate that's true. However, I've had one for 2 years in constant use. I'm not giving you a hard time. I'm just saying that no, you don't really NEED one, but they do make a great build stand and can at least heat up most coils enough for the heat to do it's thing and they'll get you in the ballpark resistance wise. Like most things, they'll last longer if well taken of, but yes, especially the lowest cost ones are cheap plastic and cheap electronics.

They can also be had for 8 bucks at one of the US suppliers right now :D

Last edited:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Maybe not, but they're great to have. :cool:
To measure the ohms, yes of course they are. But especially when you're on a limited budget, a spare mod and a non leaking atomizer (such as a decent RDA) are just so much greater to have... unfortunately however, for many, this doesn't become apparent until AFTER they wish they had listened to that advice........

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
...And you can go worse by relapsing back to smoking normal cigarettes after your mod breaks and/or your tank keeps leaking all over the Moon and back to Earth. ?

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
you can go worse by relapsing back to smoking normal cigarettes after your mod breaks and/or your tank keeps leaking all over

All the more reason to ask for help. One might ask for help, even knowing some will seem to cause self doubt. Facing that self doubt and those who appear to stir it up, in my opinion, presents as courage. That is an honorable trait when trying to quit smoking, quit any addiction.

Why then would someone who has shared the addiction chastise them over how they seek freeing themselves? I leave that as rhetorical question. It does not need an answer, merely consideration.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
All the more reason to ask for help. One might ask for help, even knowing some will seem to cause self doubt. Facing that self doubt and those who appear to stir it up, in my opinion, presents as courage. That is an honorable trait when trying to quit smoking, quit any addiction.

Why then would someone who has shared the addiction chastise them over how they seek freeing themselves? I leave that as rhetorical question. It does not need an answer, merely consideration.
Asking for help is not usually that hard. Accepting help is a whole other story.

Hello everyone, I ran into another problem. I woke up this morning, and then started to vape. After 3 puffs all of a sudden my Smok Alien said that the ohms was 2.xxx then I took off the tank and put it back on and it read 1.xxx so I took off the tank, cleaned the connections with just a q tip since there was some leakage, and it read 0.5xx then I Vaped on it a few times, took off the tank again and put it back on and it read the correct ohms. Anyone know why my Alien is doing this? I rewicked it last night, and after a few issues it was working just fine and I let it charge. I don't know if I screwed on the tank to tight or what.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Either you have a coil leg that isn't tightened down well, or some part of a coil is shorting out. You have to keep looking until you find it.

Do you have any 26 gauge wire? If I was having this problem, I'd build a smaller set of coils to reduce the chance that something is shorting out.

Also check your deck completely to be sure no tiny snippets of wire are laying loose in there.

All else fails, replace the tank.

I do have 26 gauge wire! I will definitely make a smaller build next time! Also, now that you mention it, the screws were a little loose after I rewicked the coil. I tightened them down the best I could, but one of the screws is a bit stripped, and I already ordered replacement screws that are supposed to be of much better quality.

VU Sponsors