Become a Patron!

Nic salts

vapenvain

Member For 1 Year
Helloo
New member and relatively new at vaping. Just wonder can e juice salts be used in sub-ohm tanks? Has anyone tried or should it not be done?

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Salts provide a smoother throat Hit with more concentrated nicotine if I understand it correctly. Like a 9mg salt will feel like a 3or 4mg or regular nic. So you have to be careful not to over do it. But a high level of nic salt in a subohm isn't recommended in my opinion. Way to harsh on the throw.

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
I make salts juice for my cousin and myself, 12mg for Meg and 8mg for me. We both dl subohm. My coils run .2-.43 and hers are .4 resistance. These are the same levels we would use with regular freebase nic. I will say if I'm using a high wattage build I only use 2-3mg in my mix. Pretty much use salts same as you would regular.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I make salts juice for my cousin and myself, 12mg for Meg and 8mg for me. We both dl subohm. My coils run .2-.43 and hers are .4 resistance. These are the same levels we would use with regular freebase nic. I will say if I'm using a high wattage build I only use 2-3mg in my mix. Pretty much use salts same as you would regular.
That's great news. Something I didn't know

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
That's great news. Something I didn't know

So you haven't tried mixing with salts yet? I order from LNW, liquid nicotine wholesalers, and theirs are good. Code ELRECIPES gets you a 15 or 10% discount, forgot which. They don’t offer free shipping but the customer service is excellent so I'm willing to over look it. I've been ordering the 250mg to save freezer space. NR has good salts as well, I just like LNW as a company better. Shipping for my last order for a liter of 250mg pg base was under 12.00. Discount covered that plus some.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a naturally high tolerance for nicotine, even though I never smoked, and have been sanely adding a bit of additional nic salts to my commercial juice for months with great results.

I emphasize "sanely" here because if you overdo it it'll blow the top of your head off.

Yes I learned this the hard way by not paying close enough attention and doing other things while mixing one time.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Now watch, somebody will read this and think:

"WHOA, COOL!! "BLOW THE TOP OF YOUR HEAD OFF!?!?!?!? Please tell me more!!!! "

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
On a side note: mixing with 250 vs 100.
advantage:
1 less freezer space.
2 max VG higher % if that's what your mixing for.
3 maybe a little cheaper over the long run, (not worth pushing a pencil for me).

disadvantage:
1 less margin for error when mixing, probably not a big deal, it's not that hard.
2 higher cost upfront would bite if you got a bad batch or didn't store it correctly.

Am I missing anything? @Letitia9

Last edited:

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
I see no downside personally. If you get a bad batch and you've chosen a good vendor there will simply be a slight inconvenience while they make it right. If you don’t store it properly you deserve what you get. No one should be handling nic with out doing their home work first. As far as cost I order far fewer times than normal. I spend the money now while I have it to spare so I won't need to when I would miss it.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
On a side note: mixing with 250 vs 100.
advantage:
1 less freezer space.
2 max VG higher % if that's what your mixing for.
3 maybe a little cheaper over the long run, (not worth pushing a pencil for me).

disadvantage:
1 less margin for error when mixing, probably not a big deal, it's not that hard.
2 higher cost upfront would bite if you got a bad batch or didn't store it correctly.

Am I missing anything? @Letitia9
Also if you do the math the up front cost is identical between the two.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
This is what does me in.
I know it's the same in the long run, but I can't do 80 bucks up front. Even if somebody sold less than 500ml at a time it would be easier.
LNW 60ml 250mg salts 30.00.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
As you stated, less ordering means less shipping costs,

When I order my DIY supplies I always get free shipping because it is so easy to spend $50. Last time there was a Sale and when I applied the code I needed to order more stuff to get the Free Shipping~!

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Seems like every time I try to order flavors from anywhere other than BCF they're always out of some that I need. That leaves me getting nic somewhere else and paying shipping. I keep trying to use nic river, just never works out.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Don’t know why there is so much diy talk on a newbies thread....

@vapenvain
I would avoid nic salts in a sub ohm if you are just starting out. Most commercial salts juices are between 25-50mgs. If you are interested in the salts, get a pod system.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Don’t know why there is so much diy talk on a newbies thread....

@vapenvain
I would avoid nic salts in a sub ohm if you are just starting out. Most commercial salts juices are between 25-50mgs. If you are interested in the salts, get a pod system.
Salts are available as low as 3 and 6mg. Absolutely no reason to avoid them.

G>O>M

Member For 1 Year
i have 6mg nic salt flavours
im getting a poor throat hit ( 50/50 vp .3 ohm at ~40 watts )
so a question
has anyone tried mixing say 3-6mg nic salts with say 3mg free base to up the throat hit without getting to much nic overall ?

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Honestly there really isn't any remarkable difference between freebase and salts outside of the reduced th salts provide. Most could blind test a 3mg juice of each and not notice a difference.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Honestly there really isn't any remarkable difference between freebase and salts outside of the reduced th salts provide. Most could blind test a 3mg juice of each and not notice a difference.
Is this true? I got a small bottle of 35mg freebase from a local shop several months back that sells their own juice and it made me nauseous. I still have it.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
so a question
has anyone tried mixing say 3-6mg nic salts with say 3mg free base to up the throat hit without getting to much nic overall ?
You can try but at 3mg doubt you'd notice much difference. You would likely have better results adding some pg instead or order hit nic. There is a flavourart concentrate that adds th, can't remember the name but @AndriaD is familiar with it. Not sure if BCF carries it but FA does still offer the flavor.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Is this true? I got a small bottle of 35mg freebase from a local shop several months back that sells their own juice and it made me nauseous. I still have it.
Also lowering watts and reducing af will help if it's a semi harsh flavor like a citrus blend.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
What mg did you use in the mix. Nausea generally comes from too much nic and you mix salts at the same mg you would freebase. So if you are using 24mg freebase then yes 35mg salts or freebase could make you nauseous for example.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Salts are smooth with NO Throat Hit so you can't expect TH with them. At 50 PG I am surprised you are not getting TH but maybe the salts react with the PG reducing TH?

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You can try but at 3mg doubt you'd notice much difference. You would likely have better results adding some pg instead or order hit nic. There is a flavourart concentrate that adds th, can't remember the name but @AndriaD is familiar with it. Not sure if BCF carries it but FA does still offer the flavor.

It's called Flash -- but from what I've heard, the soft TH is probably because of the nic salts; apparently they provide a much milder vape than regular nicotine -- I would hate that!

The TH from Flash is ok, but the more nicotine in the mix, the better it works. Not sure it would work at all with nic salts instead of real nicotine, and at 3mg, you'd need so much Flash, you'd get more sneezing than TH. My recommendation would be 6mg REGULAR nicotine, and then if more TH is needed, add some Flash.

And I strongly recommend, if Flash is used, that a pre-mix of about 25% strength be made, to add to the ejuice or ejuice mix, because Flash is really strong, and it's very easy to use too much and ruin an entire batch of ejuice.

@gsmit1 -- if you send me a PM with your address, I'll send you the Flash I have left, because I don't use it anymore -- never thought it would happen, but I finally got to the point that nicotine + high-PG provides decent TH for me, even though I always used to like a lot of it -- guess it's just part of the ongoing recovery from smoking. :) But that way you could try it out and see if you like it, and not have to buy some that might go to waste, if you don't.

Andria

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@gsmit1 -- if you send me a PM with your address, I'll send you the Flash I have left, because I don't use it anymore -- never thought it would happen, but I finally got to the point that nicotine + high-PG provides decent TH for me, even though I always used to like a lot of it -- guess it's just part of the ongoing recovery from smoking. :) But that way you could try it out and see if you like it, and not have to buy some that might go to waste, if you don't.

Andria

That's very generous of you Andria, but I'm not actually looking for throat hit. As much as I certainly do appreciate your gracious gesture, it would probably be best taken advantage of by somebody else here whose vaping style would benefit from it.

Maybe I'm getting soft in my approaching old age, but I feel bad turning you down. :( I just don't want to take something that would be better used by somebody else.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What mg did you use in the mix. Nausea generally comes from too much nic and you mix salts at the same mg you would freebase. So if you are using 24mg freebase then yes 35mg salts or freebase could make you nauseous for example.
I don't actually make my own juice. I like to boost the nic levels in commercial juice, so it was just several drops in a 5 mil tank. It wasn't even really harsh, it just made me feel sickly and nauseous. It was supposed to be 35mg/ml freebase.

I got a small bottle of salts from LNW and it was great.

Maybe that 10 mil bottle I got from the shop here was just old or bad. It was pretty brown, which at the time back in like may, I didn't know was bad.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Salts seldom go bad and don't get peppery but they will turn dark if not stored in a cool location. Several drops in a 5ml tank is a pretty steep boost on top of not being able to shake out the hot spots. You would be better served boosting the bottle rather than the tank.:)

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Salts seldom go bad and don't get peppery but they will turn dark if not stored in a cool location. Several drops in a 5ml tank is a pretty steep boost on top of not being able to shake out the hot spots. You would be better served boosting the bottle rather than the tank.:)
Oh, I'm sorry. The 35mil bottle I got from the shop was freebase.

This was in a sub tank where I made sure there was probably 2/3 of a tank of regular juice, (well above the already saturated cotton) added the base and then more juice and then gently tipped the tank around upside down and so on, while rotating it at the same time for a few minutes to make sure it was mixed well.

Doing the same thing when I got the salts (100mg) worked fine, but now, yes, I mix it in a glass bottle because now I use rebuildables pretty much exclusively.

I suppose I should have explained better, but I'm trying to work at the same time lol. Sorry.

Last edited:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I just realized, it wasn't @gsmit1 that was wanting more TH - :facepalm: @G>O>M -- if you'd like that Flash I have left, PM me with your address, and I'll send it your way. It's just going to waste here, since I no longer need it.

Andria

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Oh, I'm sorry. The 35mil bottle I got from the shop was freebase.

This was in a sub tank where I made sure there was probably 2/3 of a tank of regular juice, (well above the already saturated cotton) added the base and then more juice and then gently tipped the tank around upside down and so on, while rotating it at the same time for a few minutes to make sure it was mixed well.

Doing the same thing when I got the salts (100mg) worked fine, but now, yes, I mix it in a glass bottle because now I use rebuildables pretty much exclusively.

I suppose I should have explained better, but I'm trying to work at the same time lol. Sorry.
May have been my misunderstanding. Good to hear you are not mixing in the atty. Mixing any nic by drops is a crap shoot. I suspect you just got nic sick either way.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Mixing any nic by drops is a crap shoot.

For the Giants Game I eyeballed the nicotine in a glass dropper~! Not something I do on a regular basis but could have been 18MG or maybe 24MG, but actually I didn't care because I was only mixing up around 7-8 MLs. People DO NOT DO THIS AT HOME, this was done by an accomplished mixer under controlled circumstances.

G>O>M

Member For 1 Year
just realized, it wasn't @gsmit1 that was wanting more TH - :facepalm: @G>O>M -- if you'd like that Flash I have left, PM me with your address, and I'll send it your way. It's just going to waste here, since I no longer need it.

i would love to play with it and your offer is most generous
but
i dont live in the states and the postage is prohibitive
the idea of adjusting TH with flash, freebase and salts is out here now
so someone is bound to take the ball
see where it goes
you are also right in that TH is something that can be weaned so its only really useful to help new vapers stop smoking
phill

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
i would love to play with it and your offer is most generous
but
i dont live in the states and the postage is prohibitive
the idea of adjusting TH with flash, freebase and salts is out here now
so someone is bound to take the ball
see where it goes
you are also right in that TH is something that can be weaned so its only really useful to help new vapers stop smoking
phill

Well, what I was always told, to get more TH -- in order of efficacy -- 1) higher nic level (this was years before this whole "nic salts" craziness); 2) higher PG; 3) Flash; and 4) grain alcohol. As mentioned, recovering alkie here, and I never could use much nic -- 10mg was my top limit, not to be nauseated by it -- so it's really fortunate that my breathing *requires* high PG, and that I was able to find Flash, and it really does work. Check around, wherever you are; it's by FlavourArt, and not expensive. But use it sparingly! It's potent stuff. :)

Andria

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Ok so nic salts e liquid is ok in a subohm tank if it’s a low mg? Am I understanding all this correctly? o_O

Whatever you want and can take without getting Nic Sick. Your own body is the best one to tell you what you can handle. Nicotine overload doesn't last long so unless you are a hypochondriac no need to go to 1st Med or the ER. I know a few members who Sub Ohm 48MG all day.

vapenvain

Member For 1 Year
Ok cool I *was* a heavy smoker so I mainly just need a nic level that won’t keep the vape glued to my lips all day like it currently is I appreciate the feedback guys!

G>O>M

Member For 1 Year
i started on 12mg tobacco flavoured free base .. then went straight to 6mg salts
i missed the Th for awhile but only for the first few weeks was it really important ( to me )

.3 ohm single coil prince tank ~40 watts

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Ok cool I *was* a heavy smoker so I mainly just need a nic level that won’t keep the vape glued to my lips all day like it currently is I appreciate the feedback guys!

I started vaping 24-36 and gradually decreased to 18/12/6 and then the 3MG I vape now. Whatever works for you~!

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
10 drops (1/2 ML) of 36MG would make 5MLs 6MG all by itself. Then like @Letitia9 said Hot Spots you could have gotten a good close to 40MG hit. That wouldn't turn my stomach but would be a OMFG hit.
This was in a subohm tank that had already been used for a couple days so I don't think hotspots, but it's a been a while and I knew a lot less then.

Maybe I did put more in than I thought. I did the same basic thing when I got the 100mg salts though and was fine. Except for the time I wasn't paying attention. :( I add the salts int he bottle now and have it down.

I dunno. I'm happy with smooth salts in any case and LNW has been good to me in that regard.

VU Sponsors