Become a Patron!

Nicotine question

Brad Mitchell

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'm thinking of buying 100mg nicotine in a liter.
I vape at about a 1mg ejuice.
If I vape 300ml per month would that last me roughly 27 years? Is my math right is my question. Granted the nicotine wouldn't last that long I don't believe.

Thanks

Rin Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'm thinking of buying 100mg nicotine in a liter.
I vape at about a 1mg ejuice.
If I vape 300ml per month would that last me roughly 27 years? Is my math right is my question. Granted the nicotine wouldn't last that long I don't believe.

Thanks
Yes... 27.77--- years. I wouldn't recommend going that route... Get a smaller bottle or a weaker NIC solution.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Your calculations are correct.
However the nic has an expiration date, more like 2.7 years then 27 years :)

If I wanted to buy a bulk of nic in advance, I would buy a lot small sealed bottles rather then one big one, a total of nic that would last me for 2-3 years, no more.

Brad Mitchell

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Your calculations are correct.
However the nic has an expiration date, more like 2.7 years then 27 years :)

If I wanted to buy a bulk of nic in advance, I would buy a lot small sealed bottles rather then one big one, a total of nic that would last me for 2-3 years, no more.
Yeah i just bought a gallon each of PG and vg and my next step is nicotine and I was explaining the cost and how long it would last to my wife and I was like wait what did I do. Will this really last me 27 years lol. But yeah now I'm thinking of buying a couple of much smaller ones just off the top of my head one 100ml of 100mg would last me 2.5 years. Mind you these are really rough estimates to what I actually vape.

I do vape about a 1 but I think it's more like 900 ml per month but I was just checking the simple math of it. I need to sit down and see how much I actually vape lol

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Granted, I don't vape 1mg, but I do buy liters at a time, split them up into glass amber bottles, and put 'em in the freezer. I've got several years worth in my freezer now. Currently, I'm mixing with nic I purchased roughly 3 years ago. It still looks as clear as when I split it up, and has held it's strength (nic test kit). When I started mixing, I think I was at 16mg. I'm at about 8 now.

Just sayin', if you did choose to buy more than you'll use up in a year, you can safely split and store it.

Brad Mitchell

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Granted, I don't vape 1mg, but I do buy liters at a time, split them up into glass amber bottles, and put 'em in the freezer. I've got several years worth in my freezer now. Currently, I'm mixing with nic I purchased roughly 3 years ago. It still looks as clear as when I split it up, and has held it's strength (nic test kit). When I started mixing, I think I was at 16mg. I'm at about 8 now.

Just sayin', if you did choose to buy more than you'll use up in a year, you can safely split and store it.
Hm interesting. What happens to old nic? Does its strength just degrade? Basicly what do I look for if it's old and unusable?

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nic will oxidize and loose strength over time.
While some have nic that is slightly over the exp. date, nobody has really old nic at the moment so we can't really tell you how it will be.

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
While some have nic that is slightly over the exp. date, nobody has really old nic at the moment so we can't really tell you how it will be.

I recently pulled some nicotine out of my freezer that is just shy of being 6 years old and it's still crystal clear with no discernible scent; both of which would be indicators that some degree of oxidation had taken place.

Take that as you will but for me at least, I'm pretty comfortable that with continued proper storage, my nicotine is going to be viable well into the future.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Hm interesting. What happens to old nic? Does its strength just degrade? Basicly what do I look for if it's old and unusable?
Nic can degrade in strength, sure, and as mentioned, can oxidize. I once saw a bottle of nic that was REALLY dark, but the guy said he had vaped it, waiting on an order for new nic. Said it tasted a bit peppery, but he survived it, lol.

My nic isn't at 6 yrs, like NGAHaze's nic, but after 3, there's been no degradation. I split mine up into 100ml amber glass, only removing a bottle, as needed, to keep as a working bottle. When I'm not mixing with it, I keep it stored in the fridge.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nic (and PG/VG) usually carry a 2 year expiration date, but that doesn't mean it can't still be good after 3-4 years or more.

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Nic will oxidize and loose strength over time.

A bunch may depend on how it is stored.

7+ Years ago, when asked at "that other place" about how long, "Kurt" (an organic chemist by trade) stated...

"I can't find any data, but I do know that if pure nic free-base is stored dark, dry and away from oxygen, its essentially forever...10 years at least. I know this because my brother worked with pure nic in tests on rats for Alzheimers...nic reverses the disease in many respects. They routinely used 10 and 20 year old nic that had been stored properly that tested essentially unchanged and pure. "

Just saying...

Ron
---
"If you make any money, the government shoves you in the creek once a year with it in your pockets, and all that don't get wet you can keep."- Will Rogers

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Pure nic in powder form can last for many years when properly stored, but that's not what we're talking about here.

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Pure nic in powder form can last for many years when properly stored, but that's not what we're talking about here.

I guess in my past post the nic. could be powder or liquid. I'm not sure. I see myfreedomsmokes.com sells Pure Freebase Nicotine by the liter. My experience has been that items sold by the liter are usually in liquid form.

https://www.myfreedomsmokes.com/1-liter-pure-freebase-nicotine-997mg-or-higher.html

Ron
---
"Poison's not bad. It's a matter of how much."- Keith Richards

Last edited:

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I recently pulled some nicotine out of my freezer that is just shy of being 6 years old and it's still crystal clear with no discernible scent; both of which would be indicators that some degree of oxidation had taken place.

Take that as you will but for me at least, I'm pretty comfortable that with continued proper storage, my nicotine is going to be viable well into the future.

Can you tell me how you stored it? I'm stockpiling nic now in anticipation of the bullshit hitting the EU in May and I'd like to have 3-4 years worth, just in case. Better to have it then and not need it...

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nic can degrade in strength, sure, and as mentioned, can oxidize. I once saw a bottle of nic that was REALLY dark, but the guy said he had vaped it, waiting on an order for new nic. Said it tasted a bit peppery, but he survived it, lol.

My nic isn't at 6 yrs, like NGAHaze's nic, but after 3, there's been no degradation. I split mine up into 100ml amber glass, only removing a bottle, as needed, to keep as a working bottle. When I'm not mixing with it, I keep it stored in the fridge.

Do you do anything else to the bottles, such as put them in plastic bags?

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I fill the bottles, leaving as little air as possible. Then I put them individually in plastic bags. Then I put them all in a larger plastic bag.

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
the bottle on the left is the bottle I have been using for over a year. the one on the right is a bottle new out of the freezer bottle . right about 6 months old. I just open it tonight for the picture. both are 100mg vaperstek TH. the one on the left is actually a little more pink that it looks, this picture kinda makes it look like piss yellow lol. the one on the right is actually more clear I dont make base mixes because I already just have to much shoved in the freezer and I rarely make less than 120mls at a time anyways so bases kinda dont fit my mixing habits really. they are good options for folks who mix less. my personal bottle as you can see has been through the ringer. I hardly every put it in the dark. usually just on the top shelf of my cabinet. the old stuff has more of that nicotine smell compared to the new one but doesnt taste very much like it. I prefer this year old pink nicotine than most others fresh. I constantly get compliments on how smooth my juice is and normally end up filling peoples bottles all day so hense the reason for big batches lol. and thats using the throat hit nicotine. I can tell the degradation other than visually has been extremely minimal. my body lets me know if im under 6mg ha. Ive tried going lower and i just cant do it. got to have my nic fix always. so that tells me degradation in strength over a year hasnt been enough to make a real difference. ... some people will tell you a juice is perfectly steeped becasue it changes color. it only changes color because of oxidization and nothing else. my nic on the left sure does look like a perfectly steeped custard :p .............. you can do everything you want to "protect" you nic but the minute you open it and introduce oxygen its over. Ive tried chasing that fresh bottle scent and look doing all kinds of extra work with little justifiable result in the end to continue those habits. thats merely my scenario others may have different results :)

rsz_img_1161.jpg

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Since I order 100ml bottles by the case (of 12), I typically use that box (has little dividers) and put that in the freezer. For some I have in bigger bottles, I wrap them in bubble wrap, then a ziploc bag, then in the freezer. I always label the bottles, or case with exactly what it is, the strength, date I got it and even the lot number. (I'm odd :crazy: )

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I do agree that you can prolong the shelf life most definitely like ms @Huckleberried and anything I have un open stays in a feezer. and I actually have freinds that have bought nic and gave it to me to mix for them and those bottles stay seperate and marked in the freezer. but as for my personal life i just dont have time or space lol. Im a dad so i have the old shoes and old pants and the nic bottle on the shelf cuz there is no room for mine in the freezer lmao .

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Since I order 100ml bottles by the case (of 12), I typically use that box (has little dividers) and put that in the freezer. For some I have in bigger bottles, I wrap them in bubble wrap, then a ziploc bag, then in the freezer. I always label the bottles, or case with exactly what it is, the strength, date I got it and even the lot number. (I'm odd :crazy: )

No you're not, you're pretty cool actually.

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
wllmc, is the bottle in the bag a plastic one?
yes it is the same dark plastic vaperstek bottles just different and new plaques.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
yes it is the same dark plastic vaperstek bottles just different and new plaques.

So, do you keep it in the freezer just like that? I ask because the place I get my nic from ships it that way as well. He fills it to the very top and puts in argon. Then it's sealed in the bag. I asked him if I could freeze it like that and he said it would be fine. Any thoughts on that?

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
correct, I always store it just the way its shipped. I have other bottles in there as well that are several years old un opened in the argon. I do kinda wish they shipped in glass but I have a tendency to be a bit butterfingery at times so im sure this plastic has saved me $$$ in the long run lol.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
correct, I always store it just the way its shipped. I have other bottles in there as well that are several years old un opened in the argon. I do kinda wish they shipped in glass but I have a tendency to be a bit butterfingery at times so im sure this plastic has saved me $$$ in the long run lol.

Thanks a lot, it's helpful information.

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
For superior permeability factors during long term freezer storage; I use glass bottles. (with phenolic cone caps)

Each to their own. :bliss:

Ron
---
"Buy the ticket, take the ride."- Hunter S. Thompson

Slots

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
correct, I always store it just the way its shipped.
Me too ... I've checked the "grade" of the plastic bottlers they use, and they have always been good to go for me, according to the chemical contents and their requirements for protection needed.

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Uhm, how do you keep it cold enough for it to remain in powder form? Pure nicotine has a melting point of −79 °C (−110 °F).

VU Sponsors