Old Pharts Club

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Anyone else labor on Labor Day?

All these years I thought today was supposed to be a special "work day", come to find out I was wrong, damn I hate it when that happens....:oops:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
And I always thought it was a day of no labor. Boy have I been wrong all my life,

And I really blew that temperature comment earlier. The fog burned off, the sky got bright, and we hit 91 °F with humidity down to 80%, the "feels like" was 117 °F

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
And I always thought it was a day of no labor. Boy have I been wrong all my life,

And I really blew that temperature comment earlier. The fog burned off, the sky got bright, and we hit 91 °F with humidity down to 80%, the "feels like" was 117 °F
Hhahahaha....only 117?.....not bad.....:vino:

I'm not sure what the humidity is here, but I'd bet we're about tied.....:devil:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just finished washing "work clothes"....which were the only dirty clothes I had to wash. Now I have clean Work Clothes for tomorrow's Work Day....:teehee:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Gonna be a nasty week ahead.....:devil:

upload_2019-9-2_22-59-4.png

By the way, Rich....what formula do you use to come up with what the temperature is by combining humidity and current temp?

I don't have a hygrometer to check the current humidity, need to get one tho

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I quit using the formula ages ago when I discovered the computer can calculate that crap for me. Use this website:
https://www.weather.gov/epz/wxcalc_heatindex
Thanks, I knew there was a way to calculate it without using actual arithmetic......kinda like the people at any store nowadays, they have no idea how to make change without looking at what the register tells um to do....:crazy:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Note that the one you keep inside the house is not the same as the humidity outside, so yes, you'll need a couple.
Just one to tell me what the actual temp is outside, I keep the indoor temp at about 75-76, which feels great, so what the actual temp is makes no difference....just as long as it's comfortable....close enough....:teehee:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Thanks, I knew there was a way to calculate it without using actual arithmetic......kinda like the people at any store nowadays, they have no idea how to make change without looking at what the register tells um to do....:crazy:
And some of those cashiers are really funny. The computer says your change is $3.17 and they hand you 3 ones, a dime, a nickle and count two cents... "Your change, sir, is, one, two, three and ten, fifteen, sixteen, seventeen cents." It's almost like they don't trust themselves to hand it to you without the counting because they are incapable of simple arithmetic.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
And some of those cashiers are really funny. The computer says your change is $3.17 and they hand you 3 ones, a dime, a nickle and count two cents... "Your change, sir, is, one, two, three and ten, fifteen, sixteen, seventeen cents." It's almost like they don't trust themselves to hand it to you without the counting because they are incapable of simple arithmetic.
Oh you are SO correct.....give um any change and it fucks up the whole deal

Unless you happen to run into someone 50+/- years old, they usually pull it off, but I don't run into these folks often any longer....dying breed.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Just one to tell me what the actual temp is outside
I meant the hygrometers rather than thermometers. I bought several little AA-powered hygrometers (humidity is the big number with a small temp at the bottom) and keep one in the chicken coop (with the big door open, it equals "outside"), one in the shop, one in the garage, and a couple in the house (one upstairs, one basement). Brand: AcuRite, the battery lasts more than a year, size about 2"x 3", I think they were about $4 each.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Unless you happen to run into someone 50+/- years old
Well, we grew up when you had to learn math in school. As a matter of fact, when I was a senior in high school, the only hand-szie calculator available was an HP at about $350, so no one had one, but the math teacher said if he caught anyone using one, they would be failed. We all had slide rules, pencils, and paper.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I meant the hygrometers rather than thermometers. I bought several little AA-powered hygrometers (humidity is the big number with a small temp at the bottom) and keep one in the chicken coop (with the big door open, it equals "outside"), one in the shop, one in the garage, and a couple in the house (one upstairs, one basement). Brand: AcuRite, the battery lasts more than a year, size about 2"x 3", I think they were about $4 each.
I bought my mother a fancy Weather Center a couple years ago, wireless, she loves it, but keeps telling me its wrong....but when I step into her house, I can tell its not wrong, its usually so warm in her house i can't take it, but she says it feels fine.....when I look at the weather gig its showing 83 degrees in her house, which is why its so damn uncomfortable.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well, we grew up when you had to learn math in school. As a matter of fact, when I was a senior in high school, the only hand-szie calculator available was an HP at about $350, so no one had one, but the math teacher said if he caught anyone using one, they would be failed. We all had slide rules, pencils, and paper.
Indeed, I believe they don't teach simple math any longer, cuz its not necessary in todays world....which is really sad.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
And another thing to bitch about is college graduates, they are dumber than a box of rocks, been in school for four years getting indoctrinated into the liberal club....and owe 50-100K in loans and end up making 50K a year.

I was inspecting a building for a guy the other day, said he paid 100K for his daughter to become a teacher, who don't make jack shit here, so hes buying her a business to run, cuz she can't make ends meet as a teacher....and he had to pay for her college, which he was bitching to me about.....simply incredible

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Other than us old pharts, do you think anyone in this country could even find their own asses if all computers and cell phones died?
Absolutely not...my brother was telling me his son couldn't even get to the restaurant he works at without using the GPS, and he takes the same route everyday, but couldn't tell my brother how to get there without looking on the phone....unreal, but sadly true

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Absolutely not...my brother was telling me his son couldn't even get to the restaurant he works at without using the GPS, and he takes the same route everyday, but couldn't tell my brother how to get there without looking on the phone....unreal, but sadly true
WOW! When we first moved here, I drove through Rapid City a couple times (population about 70,000) and had the city memorized. I have driven across this country by just looking at a road map a couple times. I do not own a GPS, and never will because I do not need it. I know where I am and where I want to go and just go there.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
WOW! When we first moved here, I drove through Rapid City a couple times (population about 70,000) and had the city memorized. I have driven across this country by just looking at a road map a couple times. I do not own a GPS, and never will because I do not need it. I know where I am and where I want to go and just go there.
I hear you, when he told me I asked him if he planned on teaching the kid anything incase it might be needed at some time in the future.................ITS JUST NICE TO KNOW where the fuck you work and how to get there each day without looking at a phone

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
how to get there each day without looking at a phone
Even if I had one, I wouldn't look at it while driving, and if I need directions that bad and have to pull over to read the phone, I can look at the map.

And speaking of looking at something, I think it is time to look at my pillow. Catch ya tomorrow.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Very little other than routine chores. I did go to Faith. Ironhorse says Bob will come into the shop by the end of the week (It has been sitting out in their parking lot for over two months now), so with any luck, maybe I'll get it back before the end of this month. This is so fucking frustrating... I also stopped by the vet to pick their brains on fixing all the sick cats. Their answer was to bring one of them in for a checkup. This is also frustrating... Then top off the gas tank and go to the grocery store for some god damn ice cream. That was very tiring and when I feel like I have nothing left in me to do what needs doing, I wonder why I am still on this planet. But no one has seen fit to shoot me yet, so I might as well work on tomorrow's "to do" list.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I fixed the pole [chain]saw and whacked a bunch of broken limbs off one of our pine trees and dragged them over to the burn pile. In this heat, that was areal pain ...

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I worked at my office most of the day, have some guy suing a contractor for shoddy workmanship......:teehee:

I went over and looked at it....he paid the guy almost 500K to remodel his house, just a new kitchen, interior doors and new flooring, he got taken to the cleaners......I could put a pen between the baseboard trim and the flooring....the kitchen countertop (granite) cracked to half, and then skipped town and didn't finish fucking the guys house up....:)

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
he paid the guy almost 500K to remodel his house, just a new kitchen, interior doors and new flooring, he got taken to the cleaners......I could put a pen between the baseboard trim and the flooring....the kitchen countertop (granite) cracked to half, and then skipped town and didn't finish fucking the guys house up
Wow! Makes me afraid to use contractors.

VU Sponsors