Become a Patron!

Old Pharts Club

JMB17

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
It's a medication that different people react very differently to. I've had friends who couldn't tolerate it, who had the confusion and all that you describe, and others who swear it's the best thing since sliced bread. So you're right - for some people it can be a nightmare. Personally, I wouldn't be able to move the next day if I didn't take my Gabapentin before bed. I also can take it during the day and be fine to drive and unimpaired at my job, so since it works for me for pain, I guess I should consider myself lucky that I can do without narcotics. I should also say that my dosage is really low, comparatively. I take 600mg before bed.

I absolutely believe what you say, though. It isn't for everyone. Frankly I just didn't think about that when I made that suggestion to Andria, so thanks for reminding me.

I'm glad it's helping you!
It's a medication that different people react very differently to. I've had friends who couldn't tolerate it, who had the confusion and all that you describe, and others who swear it's the best thing since sliced bread. So you're right - for some people it can be a nightmare. Personally, I wouldn't be able to move the next day if I didn't take my Gabapentin before bed. I also can take it during the day and be fine to drive and unimpaired at my job, so since it works for me for pain, I guess I should consider myself lucky that I can do without narcotics. I should also say that my dosage is really low, comparatively. I take 600mg before bed.

I absolutely believe what you say, though. It isn't for everyone. Frankly I just didn't think about that when I made that suggestion to Andria, so thanks for reminding me.

That's very true. I'm glad it's working for you! I have been suffering from Migraines with Brainstem Aura and it's a pain in the ass, or head- actually both because I used to lose consciousness a lot because of my migraines and I would some times fall on my ass if I was lucky. The severity of the pain is something I can't even begin to describe. The doctors have been trying to figure out why I'm losing consciousness and why I forget things and why I can't walk or even open my eyes at times but then finally this amazing Neurologist at Toronto Western Hospital diagnosed me with Migraines with Brainstem Aura and the medication she's given me is amazing! I still have my daily constant migraines but at least I'm not losing consciousness and falling anymore! But before I saw this doctor I have been to many different neurologists and they couldn't figure it out so they just kept giving me all these random pills. To make it even worse I was a University student and I couldn't even go to class. Thankfully my Professors were understanding and they let me just study from home and do my tests and exams when I was able to. But even on those days my mom would take the day off to take me to do my tests because the doctors still said I shouldn't be going anywhere alone. Somehow even with all that shit I didn't fail a single class!

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I'm glad it's helping you!

That's very true. I'm glad it's working for you! I have been suffering from Migraines with Brainstem Aura and it's a pain in the ass, or head- actually both because I used to lose consciousness a lot because of my migraines and I would some times fall on my ass if I was lucky. The severity of the pain is something I can't even begin to describe. The doctors have been trying to figure out why I'm losing consciousness and why I forget things and why I can't walk or even open my eyes at times but then finally this amazing Neurologist at Toronto Western Hospital diagnosed me with Migraines with Brainstem Aura and the medication she's given me is amazing! I still have my daily constant migraines but at least I'm not losing consciousness and falling anymore! But before I saw this doctor I have been to many different neurologists and they couldn't figure it out so they just kept giving me all these random pills. To make it even worse I was a University student and I couldn't even go to class. Thankfully my Professors were understanding and they let me just study from home and do my tests and exams when I was able to. But even on those days my mom would take the day off to take me to do my tests because the doctors still said I shouldn't be going anywhere alone. Somehow even with all that shit I didn't fail a single class!

I appreciate your post, but I sure don't want to "like" it - just feels wrong to me to like a post where someone has described the kind of problems you have there. Chronic migraines, I can't imagine anything much worse than that, if a person is still trying to function, and then add the passing out and falling, and you've got a recipe for disaster as far as autonomy and mobility go. You must be one tough cookie to deal with that and still pass your classes. You have my respect, for sure. :hug:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Well, it is past my bedtime already anyway, so I guess I should go snuggle the kitties after I slather some more of that cream all over my achy body. Catch ya tomorrow buddy.

I sure would love to know what's in that cream. We could use tubs of it at my house. :)

JMB17

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
I appreciate your post, but I sure don't want to "like" it - just feels wrong to me to like a post where someone has described the kind of problems you have there. Chronic migraines, I can't imagine anything much worse than that, if a person is still trying to function, and then add the passing out and falling, and you've got a recipe for disaster as far as autonomy and mobility go. You must be one tough cookie to deal with that and still pass your classes. You have my respect, for sure. :hug:

These past few years have definitely been a living nightmare but all nightmares have an end eventually. Thank you! :cheers:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
So is anybody up for another bitch session today? Here's my latest:

We just got back from a few days in Florida. I drove 1500 miles in 6 days. We cut the trip into two parts, so a little over halfway going down we spent the night in Savannah. Had the good luck to get a hotel room with two beds, one firm and one soft, which is perfect for hubbs and me. I can't stand sleeping on a bed that isn't cushy.

Spent three days at Crystal River because we love the rivers and the manatees and the shady landscape and the not-so-damn-hot weather there.

Then drove back to Savannah and spent the night at the same place, same room, slept like a log.

Here's the bitch: I was very nearly CRIPPLED by the time we got home. Vacation is HARD. I know, I know, I'm a wuss. But I've gained a lot of weight in the past 7 or 8 years since I blew out my right knee and then had a full-on flare up of a hereditary condition called lipedema. What that is, basically, is fat I can't lose by dieting, that localizes in my lower half. The medical community is finally beginning to recognize that it is a true medical condition (classified as a rare fat disorder, and please, don't laugh - it is not funny) and not just (mostly) women who eat all the time and are lazy. AND I'm hypothyroid, AND I'm old. (I said that about laughing because, when I told my sister that, she actually did laugh at me.)

So we spent all this money, did all this driving, put all these miles on my car, and we both felt like we'd been hit by a train when we got home. Sure, we had some nice dinners, and two pleasant and interesting river cruises, but DAMN. I just wonder if next time I take a week off, I wouldn't be better off to just stay home and sleep in my own bed.

So has anyone else "treated" themselves to vacation lately?

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I sure would love to know what's in that cream. We could use tubs of it at my house. :)
Lannie sells it to the folks on the KFC (Keeping a Family Cow) forum, but maybe she'll just share the recipe with you. Besides Fire and Ice, my favorite cream she makes that works for just about any all-around body pain is something I named Ouchie Fixit Stuff. Lots of the Cow gurls seem to buy that from her too. The prime ingredient is Devils Claw Root (grows on the edge of deserts). Anyway, maybe if you PM her, she will share the exact contents.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Never buy welding rods at Tractor Supply. I just threw away 4 before giving up on welding one bolt.

Sent from my NS-P10A7100 using Tapatalk

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I bought some there several years ago and they were fine.
Hobart 6013. But that was several years ago.

I am assuming you got the proper numbered rod for AC or DC however you are welding?

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Never buy welding rods at Tractor Supply. I just threw away 4 before giving up on welding one bolt.
About the only thing I buy there is ProBios for the critters. Almost all my tools and tool supplies come from Menard's or sometimes Harbor Freight.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
About the only thing I buy there is ProBios for the critters. Almost all my tools and tool supplies come from Menard's or sometimes Harbor Freight.
I went thru there tool shopping about a week ago.
Did find a nice 4 lb hammer for $5 and a genuine 12" Crescent wrench for $9.99.
But otherwise naah.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I guess I'll hafta go to Lowe's. The only rods they sell locally are Forney, and they are junk.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
There is a Lowe's in Rapid City, a couple miles closer than Menard's (both are over 100 miles from me), but the few times I bothered to go in there, everything I was looking for was significantly more expensive. As I implied before, however, I cannot speak about welding supplies - who's good, bad, or pricey.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
There is a Lowe's in Rapid City, a couple miles closer than Menard's (both are over 100 miles from me), but the few times I bothered to go in there, everything I was looking for was significantly more expensive. As I implied before, however, I cannot speak about welding supplies - who's good, bad, or pricey.
Lowe's is 47 miles. Home Depot is 53 miles.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
To the best of my knowledge, there is not a Home Depot anywhere in this entire state. When we lived in Orygun, I shopped there a lot.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I hate Lowe's. They're like the Walmart of the building supply business. I had to work with them years ago to implement an electronic data transfer application, and they were just terrible - pushy as hell when they needed something from me, yet they took their good sweet time when it came to getting things done in their own shop.

Where are all the Old Pharts tonight? It must not be time to get cranked up yet. Guess I'm just gonna have to talk to the folks that are here earlier in the day - I can't stay up late any more or I just don't function the next day.

Night all. Sleep tight.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
My son bought a Voopoo Too kit yesterday. Damn nice looking mod, black turquoise. Notice I haven't made it off here yet?

Don't know what that thread is, but I'm sure I'll stumble across it eventually. I've been wandering all around in here. :)

Have a good night, Cromwell.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I hate Lowe's. They're like the Walmart of the building supply business. I had to work with them years ago to implement an electronic data transfer application, and they were just terrible - pushy as hell when they needed something from me, yet they took their good sweet time when it came to getting things done in their own shop.

Where are all the Old Pharts tonight? It must not be time to get cranked up yet. Guess I'm just gonna have to talk to the folks that are here earlier in the day - I can't stay up late any more or I just don't function the next day.

Night all. Sleep tight.
The main thing I dislike about both Lowe's and Home Depot, is that the employees scurry away as fast as they can when they see somebody might need help.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yep lowes employees do tend to scramble off.
A few reasons.
One it will interfere with their smart phone time.
The boss has given them too many duties.
Worked at lowes for 5 years.
Horrible job and some customers I would run from too. Some people tend to make our lives miserable because they can and if we say anything we get fired. And then some are dumb beyond help.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My brother works at Home Depot. He avoids helping people too. I wonder how lazy he is doing security at the Air Force base, which is his other job.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I was never fired from any job.
I've never been "fired," but I got laid off twice. They called it corporate downsizing, but I noticed I was the only manager to be laid off in that division in both cases. Also, in both cases, I had made suggestions for improvements that the general manager didn't like. In one case, I was rehired a year later and HE was "let go" because his failure to take my advice cost the company a few hundred thousand dollars.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ohh I have been caught in downsizing and reorganizations, etc.

My last nice job was outsourced to India....

In a few of times in my life I have been the only one not to get cut off at the neck in a downsizing, etc.

Then at the end of my working life I get in Retail and sometimes wanted to cut my own throat.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was 19 when I got fired. I guess the boss thought a 19 year old girl was supposed to be a pushover.

That sucks.
I have run lots of crews in my lifetime and I always worked to treat all equally.
Some women tried to use their female status to get out of stuff or get gravy assignments.
Did not work with me.
And any man who tries to take advantage of a female employee is scum.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have run lots of crews in my lifetime and I always worked to treat all equally.
One of the first things I did after becoming a manager was to take a course in psychology. No, I wasn't trying to gain an advantage over my employees; I was trying to understand the things people do and why they might be doing that. It worked and I kept studying. I not only made no allowance for one sex over the other, but made sure to talk to each person on a personal level at least once a day. They got to know what I expected regarding their job -- without me issuing any edicts, and I got to know what they wanted out of their jobs and how both sides could interact to make it healthier and happier on all sides. I never micromanaged. And I always let each person know that they could reach higher goals if they so desired and I would help them get there. Over the years, many of my employees told me I was the best manager they had ever had.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
They kept wanting to make me a manager at Lowes.
Every time I would just seriously ask them why they wanted me to quit ;)
My husband does not want to be in charge of people either. He works at Lund International, making toolboxes for p/u trucks. Most of the newbies that come in are too weak and too unwilling to do their jobs.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If I have a good organization over me and the means to do a management job I will but in Lowes there is none of that.
Just responsibility and stupid goals that you have no control over and no power to accomplish.
I try and avoid positions that are an exercise in futility.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sorry for all the snowflakes out there, but if you don't want to do the job you were hired to do, go work someplace else. Companies are not required to babysit assholes that don't want to work, and I would fire them.
Ahh but now the ones who are useless are getting into management jobs and think nothing of people on the floor paying more attention to their smartphone than their job they are paid to do.

VU Sponsors