Become a Patron!

Post your builds

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
A little single banger in the Merlin Mini RTA.
•Groove~fused Staggerton•
•10x.3mm//38g//42g
424f21554733cb6774e3a4a1fa95bc1e.jpg

01f98cc9436f3b155898531c1db79f2d.jpg

acda9c3a35daf977bb163e5efee06e92.jpg

f025319bbe2e5dca1b9bd11f6693708c.jpg

d94bb052150c51ef08f25a08fef7b223.jpg

e1d11e9458f5d4af196e66cd6d163d97.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HellbillyRJ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
127996960df2c26937a49d58c7cd279f.jpg

This is my best dual parallel build to date. The top lead is twisted just a little bit on the right hand side in the pic, but it's working. That's 6 wraps with a 4mm id using NiChrome 60 in 26g and coming in at about 0.2 ohms and didn't create a short or a hot spot there which was my biggest concern. It vapes good though.

"Some people call me a redneck, and some people call me a hick, some people call me an asshole, and some people call me just dick. I'm a hellbilly."

HellbillyRJ

stop'n'vape

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
New wire time, this was originally meant to be a corrugated staggerton but the corrugated part f-d up so instead I present the double helix framed stapleton :pdouble helix framed stapleton wire.jpg double helix framed stapleton.jpgThis is 3 wraps around a 2mm id in the compvape double vision and it ohms out at a sweet 0.06. Let me tell you this thing has flavour for days even at such a low resistance!

If anyone wants to try it message and I'll send instructions :)

Happy vaping and happy building

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Guys I made possibly one of my best fused claptons well I say made ... I've wound it up so far lol problem is I can't untwist the wire (you know the two cores twist a little as you wrap the outer core) how the heck do i do this I've tried by hand, slowly putting the drill in reverse, toothless plier the bitch just won't untwist

Will it naturally flatten out when I coil them on my coil master?

Please help oh wise ones :)

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
You can untwist it as you wrap it - just twist in the opposite direction while you wrap it.

Thanks buddy did the trick ... I apologise now for the crappy picture I don't have a macro lense :( can try zooming in on the pic ? Fused clapton 2x26 core with wrap 38 316L

IMG_0881.JPG
IMG_0882.JPG

HellbillyRJ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks buddy did the trick ... I apologise now for the crappy picture I don't have a macro lense :( can try zooming in on the pic ? Fused clapton 2x26 core with wrap 38 316L

View attachment 74749
View attachment 74750
I usually just the standard camera lense on my phone, but I zoom in x4 and hold phone about 3 inches from the coil

"Some people call me a redneck, and some people call me a hick, some people call me an asshole, and some people call me just dick. I'm a hellbilly."

HellbillyRJ

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
nice work @KingPin! im glad you changed your mind about posting in here :cheers:
Thanks buddy hopefully one day I'll be as good as some of you guys btw that's my 3rd complex build (complex for me anyway lol)

I really want to build an alien wire that's what I'm aiming for eventually

Last edited:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I usually just the standard camera lense on my phone, but I zoom in x4 and hold phone about 3 inches from the coil

HellbillyRJ
Dammit wish I'd though of that was trying to avoid crappy griany picture on my iPhone had a spare coil left from that wire ...here is the close up (used the other two as they were spot on there are a few blemishes on this one)

IMG_0884.JPG

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks buddy hopefully one day I'll be as good as some of you guys btw that's my 3rd complex build (complex for me anyway lol)
it comes fast once you get going man. just stick with it.

as for pictures, i press a magnifying glass against my phones camera lens. if theres enough light and you find the right distance (from coils to lens) you can get some surprisingly clean shots.

lcgixxer87

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yea i had a little cheap macro lens before too. They are amazing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120AZ using Tapatalk

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
•Staggerton•
•8x.4mm//40g//4x.4mm "frames"
•All Atomizerwick N80 in the Twisted Messes Gold AF

The f'n 40g popped on my leads when i tightened the terminals. I decided to shoot it anyways since i wont have any bench time until next week. Blah.
1bf47c59c56f2c186380739460aabc83.jpg

75e4175c04a278495c0d9a5b02106f0b.jpg

b07e8cbcf5863fc116bd9564a3a67a78.jpg

c8eeeb070023bb92eb09b49c853f2a0a.jpg

8ef3ebb8903edbcad968b25af825a060.jpg

ImposingGorilla

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It's amazing in comparison to a fused clapton mate. It seems to heat up a lot nicer. And the cool down is pretty quick too. I've been trying to upload a photo but it keeps saying the file is too large. Don't know how to make the file smaller.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Hmm might have to get some ribbon wire only tired 316L round wire for DIY coils so far a lot have people seem to like kanthal for core wrapped in N80 is this down to the heat difference of the heat sink effect as nichrome heats faster than kanthal

316L is very clean tasting although ever since I had a short on a premade coil that had SS wire in it it's like my brain is attuned to the god awful taste it produced and I seem to pick up on it on every build (even though no problems with the coil in my DIY)
how would you describe the taste of kanthal and nicrome? I know some say they can't taste metals at all I definitely can

ImposingGorilla

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hmm might have to get some ribbon wire only tired 316L round wire for DIY coils so far a lot have people seem to like kanthal for core wrapped in N80 is this down to the heat difference of the heat sink effect as nichrome heats faster than kanthal

316L is very clean tasting although ever since I had a short on a premade coil that had SS wire in it it's like my brain is attuned to the god awful taste it produced and I seem to pick up on it on every build (even though no problems with the coil in my DIY)
how would you describe the taste of kanthal and nicrome? I know some say they can't taste metals at all I definitely can
I've had similar issues with SS wire, I keep coming back to kanthal as I prefer the taste. This is the first time I've used n80 in my coils and so far it's a much cleaner taste in my opinion. The n80's quick ramp up time is definitely a bonus though. I've been using Charles chalk dust wonder worm with this framed staple coil and the flavour is amazing in comparison to using plain SS coils. Even with a juice that was a bit harsh/sour, it seemed to make it a lot smoother.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Cool if I do a staple coil I'll start with a framed one they look a tad easier to wrap .....the square edges look like a nightmare to deal with on a normal staple hehe

USMCotaku

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
cb5b93bd7d74ac370bf4f3175b692751.jpg

Just pulled the wick to change flavors, so thought I would drop a pic in here.
It's 3 strands of 28 gauge 430SS, twisted, then hammered flat on my jewelers block, 3mm ID, comes in at .25, great flavor.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Last edited:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Oh. It's 3x25 gauge kanthal cores with 36 gauge nichrome wrap.
Awesome thanks mate hehe hope when I get round to trying an alien build it looks as good as this ;) definitely going to go kanthal and nichrome over SS just made a clapton with SS core and kanthal wrap and its tastes nicer than all SS

Whiskeywarrior

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@Whiskeywarrior what did you make your initial decore on to get that alien wrap? thats an enigma right?

The decore was wrapped on 28g. I started out wanting to do an enigma but got pissed at it and moved the 28g wires to one side and went to my trusty four sided alien with a place to put an inlay. I am gonna try it another way this weekend.

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The decore was wrapped on 28g. I started out wanting to do an enigma but got pissed at it and moved the 28g wires to one side and went to my trusty four sided alien with a place to put an inlay. I am gonna try it another way this weekend.
i thought it looked a little crazier than an enigma. whats the recipe for a four sided alien?

Whiskeywarrior

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have done it a couple of ways now. One was with several small pieces of wire like 9 strands of 30g and one with 4 strands of 24g some with 28g this one was with ribbon and 28g. Just need to make it so the alien skin can lay down on each side. You can see a couple examples in the previous pages.

Whiskeywarrior

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thankyou. It kinda looked like a dragon's tail to me. My next one I'm gonna try is hopefully gonna look alot like that alien.

Last edited:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Thankyou. It kinda looked like a dragon's tail to me. My next one I'm gonna try is hopefully gonna look alot like that alien.
That coil is one of the best I've seen anywhere no kidding WW
bet it's not a squiddoode 20 min tutorial on how to do it lol.....yes I can imagine it now the following video is x hours long....involves swearing...retries...and unfortunately a random squirrel was shot in the making of this coil

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I found I can't build for nothing today so I went with something easy. Spaced staple alien. 8ply .4 ribbon 38g skin. .09 ohm.
View attachment 75323

Something easy hahahaha I hope one day I can call that build easy i still struggle with a bloody clapton

Looks great ;) oh on another note saw an awesome vid ...ok it was for jewellery was looking for coil instructions at the time but thought what the hell ...concept is the same (the second one in was in this vid but all variations of the same theme below)

all%2Bcoils.jpg

Process is simple
1) Start off with a thicker gauge wire (probably use parallel cores myself)
2) Coil a spaced clapton around that core wire (again could use fused here)
3) Then lay a wrap in between the ridges of the clapton

Obviously use different metals and gauges to this but bet it looks awesome coiled up :) gonna try this one myself lol not seen it before ...I'll call it Tokamak Coil assuming it's not been done before lol

Last edited:

HellbillyRJ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
•Staggerton•
•8x.4mm//40g//4x.4mm "frames"
•All Atomizerwick N80 in the Twisted Messes Gold AF

The f'n 40g popped on my leads when i tightened the terminals. I decided to shoot it anyways since i wont have any bench time until next week. Blah.
1bf47c59c56f2c186380739460aabc83.jpg

75e4175c04a278495c0d9a5b02106f0b.jpg

b07e8cbcf5863fc116bd9564a3a67a78.jpg

c8eeeb070023bb92eb09b49c853f2a0a.jpg

8ef3ebb8903edbcad968b25af825a060.jpg

These coils got my gf (who doesn't even vape) wanting to learn how to build coils.

HellbillyRJ

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Ahh crap spoke too soon been done before oh well still gonna try it ;) by the way people this this isn't my coil it's someone else's just showing what it would look like using method in my post above

1517110_1701216936829338_37261194_n.jpg

Last edited:

Whiskeywarrior

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Most everything has been done. Just variations on it still to be done. Yeah the Claptoning a wire with a Clapton has been done but that shouldn't discourage you from improving on it. I made a really crappy one a while back when I had only been building a week or two in December. Mind you it's not pretty and you can't unsee this thing.KIMG0514.jpg

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
These coils got my gf (who doesn't even vape) wanting to learn how to build coils.

HellbillyRJ

Haha, awesomw! just don't blame me when she spends the rent money on wire

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Nice build. How do you like it. What does it ohm out to?
:cheers: I am amazed at how well it performs, it being just a single coil and all. I feel this could easily be my everyday "work setup". A single coil setup saves the hassle of matching and aligning coils, and it also saves time when you have to re-wick it. Flavor with this single alien isn't as big compared to the dualed staple staggered fused claptons build that I made previously (and that I put in my The Troll RDA 2 when I didn't have my Goon yet) as that one really hit me like a cement truck on flavor production... in a very good way. Only problem with that one, it was eating through juice at the speed of light. :D The alien hovers around .5 Ω so much easier on the batteries. (In fact I moved from the Reuleaux RX2/3 to the RX300 part because of how subohming at .11 Ω and 140 Watts didn't seem to work too well with less than four VTC5As.) I vape the alien at 68 Watts. It's 3.5 mm wraps.

VU Sponsors