VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
934a438fab76a95ab6eb537e7eb1db47.jpg

VAPE ON

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
By no means perfect but hopefully these will work in my aromamizer when it gets here. Steam engine puts these around .38ohms each so gonna set them aside for now and try em again
793ce166270bbd5cb1d48a8b81fd9088.jpg

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
By no means perfect but hopefully these will work in my aromamizer when it gets here. Steam engine puts these around .38ohms each so gonna set them aside for now and try em again
793ce166270bbd5cb1d48a8b81fd9088.jpg

How's the flavor?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

tomdon

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Here's a couple

Attachments

• 20160102_190859.jpg
    20160102_190859.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 20160101_170940.jpg
    20160101_170940.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 20160101_120802.jpg
    20160101_120802.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 24

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Where is everyone finding their small flat jewelers hammer for tamping their builds flat?

itsmenotyou

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Where is everyone finding their small flat jewelers hammer for tamping their builds flat?

I use my gunsmith hammer instead of a jewelers hammer. I use the plastic side so I don't break the wires.
48cdcdeaf93eb91f9ed3f19571406bb5.jpg

sent from a dumb operated smartphone

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use my gunsmith hammer instead of a jewelers hammer. I use the plastic side so I don't break the wires.
48cdcdeaf93eb91f9ed3f19571406bb5.jpg

sent from a dumb operated smartphone
All my reloading gear is on loan right now to a brother in law. He wanted to mess around to see if he wants to buy his own gear.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Sent from the iPad in the basement of vapement[/QUOTE]
7b6689a06431cac33193bbe157e79128.jpg
i invented a new tool for picking up those stray pieces of wire. Specifically designed to work with all types of wire with extra power for kanthal

My method is much easier...I move everything away from the bench, get naked and roll around thinking Im in a meadow. Then have My Mom pull them out one by one :p
Actually this is why on my bench Ive lined all edges with magnets and have a Magnetic Pan for Car bolts/nuts and slide it around to pick anything up. Good plan with the tape though....

Im using a polished ball peen and a 1 3/4" polished piece of bar stock

I use a Normal Metal/Wooden Hammer I got at Walmart and Use a Large Wrench to pound it on, It makes for a nice setup that I can move/hold anywhere and use the round and flat edges of the wrench to my advantage...Just have to learn how to use it without breaking your wire and you'll be good. I would love to upgrade my wire tools soon...

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Then have My Mom pull them out one by one
She's working towards sainthood isnt she?

Lots of practice from when I use to go out and hunt for porcupines. Those buggers hid in trees and jump down on you when you least expect them...:rolleyes:

turnman34

Member For 4 Years
My latest. Dual 24 awg twisted. Measuring .21 ohms. We'll see how it works. All I have is 24 awg so it's all I got right now. Ordered some new wire, thanks for the leads, when it gets in, time to try making claptons!!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451863612.876614.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CgS_Drone

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

Go to Amazon and type in chasing hammer and if you don't have an anvil then you can use a bench block. You can also use an old piece of railroad rail if you have some small chunks around they make great anvils. Another thing you could use would be a body hammer, they are usually fairly cheap down at the local auto parts store.

Another thing I have found handy is a vise, you can get them new or even dirt cheap used on Fleebay. You know the size of our little wire cutters I set those next to it to reference from.I use this when making braided coils, grab swivels for spinning up coils and to hold the mandrel when I am coiling up heavy coils that don't like to bend.
anvil.jpg

All my reloading gear is on loan right now to a brother in law. He wanted to mess around to see if he wants to buy his own gear.
You are a glutton for punishment. I won't even let my son touch mine, but then of course I bought him a complete setup for himself so he doesn't have to bother mine.

Last edited:

blakemorder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got really bored and remembered I had a subtank lol. Tried to stuff a 26/36 fc I had laying around in and no go, instead of giving up I did a 28k/38n80 6 wrap fc 3mm id. Trapping the leads sucked but so did getting the whole thing low enough to fit.
7ff8dba20448fa00c538ffe8201c998b.jpg

adea11fd22b04e9a9f3378d0aed44506.jpg
d5a799bd46acde1a7d392f20862b61e0.jpg
Now I remember why I hate tank vaping, no airflow

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
@scarecrowjenkins
Man, it is intense trying to keep up with this wrap. Got about 3 useable inches(thats what she said) of 3x30k/40n80 aliens
bc862e9ad2a4d9fad53b902e3f53eb35.jpg

Its a totally different animal than the 36g! I hardly stretch the wire because it's gonna stretch a lot more when you feed it to the core. If you stretch it like 36g, then its gonna be stretched way too much by the time it gets to the cores. Keep at it though! Almost there brutha!!

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Its a totally different animal than the 36g! I hardly stretch the wire because it's gonna stretch a lot more when you feed it to the core. If you stretch it like 36g, then its gonna be stretched way too much by the time it gets to the cores. Keep at it though! Almost there brutha!!
Right, i stretch it about halfway and use slight tension while feeding. I can run the drill full speed but the only thing that i really need to get down is maintaining the angle

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Go to Amazon and type in chasing hammer and if you don't have an anvil then you can use a bench block. You can also use an old piece of railroad rail if you have some small chunks around they make great anvils. Another thing you could use would be a body hammer, they are usually fairly cheap down at the local auto parts store.

Another thing I have found handy is a vise, you can get them new or even dirt cheap used on Fleebay. You know the size of our little wire cutters I set those next to it to reference from.I use this when making braided coils, grab swivels for spinning up coils and to hold the mandrel when I am coiling up heavy coils that don't like to bend.
View attachment 37309

You are a glutton for punishment. I won't even let my son touch mine, but then of course I bought him a complete setup for himself so he doesn't have to bother mine.
I do have a vise with anvil... however it is a 12" mouth vise with a 4" anvil and is bolted to my bench in the garage. I wish I could bring that bad boy in! I think I will grab a piece of angle iron and bolt it to the edge of my vape bench in the basement. That will make for a functional industrial edge... I will have to check the garage supply to see what I have available.

Which is better, the steel hammer, or harden plastic mallet? I feel the hard plastic mallet would break down quickly.

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I do have a vise with anvil... however it is a 12" mouth vise with a 4" anvil and is bolted to my bench in the garage. I wish I could bring that bad boy in! I think I will grab a piece of angle iron and bolt it to the edge of my vape bench in the basement. That will make for a functional industrial edge... I will have to check the garage supply to see what I have available.

Which is better, the steel hammer, or harden plastic mallet? I feel the hard plastic mallet would break down quickly.

The plastic would definitely wear out faster. It doesnt take much force to hammer out the wire, gravity does most of the work. Even a cheap tack hammer polished up will do nicely

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
35c32e4841a4d33453491dc1ec69602c.jpg
made some 24/40 fc's. 7 wrap 2.3mm id steam engine puts them at .3 ohms each made about 14" so i have enough for 2 more. Thinking either double vision or twisted messes, whichever gets here first. Im usually tired after work during the week and my hands are always filthy so im getting some building done now for when my vapemail arrives.
24c1b1d59af0a5f91d40b6abd2e5b196.jpg
(top to bottom) 2x24/40, 2x28/40, 10x33/40. All k/n80 fc's waiting to get wrapped up

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If I twist a handful of high gauge wire and want to flatten it out... do I want to make the twist tight or keep it loose?

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
35c32e4841a4d33453491dc1ec69602c.jpg
made some 24/40 fc's. 7 wrap 2.3mm id steam engine puts them at .3 ohms each made about 14" so i have enough for 2 more. Thinking either double vision or twisted messes, whichever gets here first. Im usually tired after work during the week and my hands are always filthy so im getting some building done now for when my vapemail arrives.
24c1b1d59af0a5f91d40b6abd2e5b196.jpg
(top to bottom) 2x24/40, 2x28/40, 10x33/40. All k/n80 fc's waiting to get wrapped up

How tight did you twist that 10 strand?

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If I twist a handful of high gauge wire and want to flatten it out... do I want to make the twist tight or keep it loose?

Not sure, did an 8x33 twisted/40 and kept the twist pretty loose but when i went to flatten it the twisted core chewed up the 40ga and it started flaking off

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not sure, did an 8x33 twisted/40 and kept the twist pretty loose but when i went to flatten it the twisted core chewed up the 40ga and it started flaking off

Reading this and thinking about, sounds like it will need to be twisted pretty tight.

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reading this and thinking about, sounds like it will need to be twisted pretty tight.

I feel like a tight twist would make it worse. Like having one of those survival saws inside your outter wrap

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Alien variant: 28/33k decored clapton around 2x26k 5 wrap 2.3mm id. Steam engine puts these around .36 each. These are sooooooo easy to wrap i think im gonna get a few more high gauges in kanthal and see about going to just 2 core aliens
c708150916f34e97d27eb4c234f63707.jpg
93f586e27dcff7135dce67da37a404e1.jpg
will update all of today's builds when I have them installed and running

BrattVapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Evening guys. I have tomorrow off and am looking to build something I haven't done yet. Either alien or stapled .... Anyone tell me which would be easier - you can see my work, you know what I can do... (Not much else but fc's)

Also... Any how to video you guys could shoot my way. Just looking to spend some wire in the name of something new:)

Matt

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Evening guys. I have tomorrow off and am looking to build something I haven't done yet. Either alien or stapled .... Anyone tell me which would be easier - you can see my work, you know what I can do... (Not much else but fc's)

Also... Any how to video you guys could shoot my way. Just looking to spend some wire in the name of something new:)

Matt
What size wire ya got?

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
It's actually right in between. Too tight, and the wire won't flatten very well. Too loose and your wire won't hold it's shape. I guess it's kinda like learning how to stretch an alien core wire - you just have to kinda feel it out. Generally speaking, I would probably lean toward the tighter side.

Here's my pile of dead spools. 90% of the wire that was here was used to learn the various coils.
2016-01-04 11.04.06.jpg

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
So the Noisy Cricket finally got here, so I threw a quick build on her. 2x28N/38K fused Clapton. This thing hits HARD! I'm Lovin' It...

2016-01-04 14.02.41.jpg

She looks good wearin' my Royal Hunter clone...

2016-01-04 14.05.06.jpg

BrattVapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Just ordered 500' of 38 Gauge N80. Looking forward to moving up gauges. Going to pick up some more juice now then hopefully going to attempt some alien wire. Spending my last day off right I suppose

Matt

BrattVapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
They had them on a pre-sale at efun for $17. That is when I almost got one. I was too skurred to bust out a series mod for my first mech. :(
Ordered mine from source more and I friggen LOVE it! I haven't touched my IPV since I got it... The thing goes everywhere with me, and its such a small package its amazing!

Matt

VU Sponsors