Become a Patron!

Price Research

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
One of the things I love about this forum is the tradings section. I subscribe to it to see when new deal are posted.
But it just pisses me off that people do no price research. Most of the items lately that I am interested in, are priced higher or about the same as what I can buy it for as NEW from a retailer.

if I can get it for $20 shipped NEW, Im not going to pay you $25 plus shipping JUST BECAUSE YOU PAID $40 for yours.

When you sell someone something...EVEN IF ITS STILL SEALED ITS NOT NEW!!!!!!!!!!
If there is an issue with the product the manufacturer or retailer does not owe ME a warranty. The warranty on MOST products in this world is not transferable...It is for the original purchaser.

Now Im not trying to imply that people are selling defective,broken,damaged or bad products... but ANY purchase carries a risk. Part of the purchase price on a NEW ITEM from a RETAILER is warranty or dealing with an issue.

If I buy some mod that is used but still in its original wrapper and pay $5 less then what I can get it for new, and it craps out in a week. MAYBE the manufacturer will fix it, maybe they wont. And it wouldnt be the person who sold it to me's fault it broke in a week.

People if your going to sell stuff, do some price research, take into consideration the fact that no matter how new your product is, its still USED. Trying to sell an item that can be bought for $25 new with free shipping and asking $20 plus shipping is ridiculous IMHO. If I were trying to sell something that sold for $25 new with free shipping, I would ask $15 shipped at the most

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I am with you on this one.

People trying to sell a crown with one burnt out head, the 0.5 head in the crown that is still half full of juice and one brand new nickel coil head for only $20.

when i can a new one for $19.99 on ebay

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
yea someone posted a mod that i would buy at the right price for $45. Wake and vape is selling that mod new for $45 and I hate to say this,but probably 80% or more of the postings on here are this way. ANd the sadder part is people buy it because they too dont do price research

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I've said this for a year or better now.

I've stopped pointing out prices of new stuff. I came to the conclusion, because of the pissed off reaction of the sellers, people are generally out to fuck other people over.

I don't look much over in the for sale sections. I'll just buy new. Let the suckers get screwed. There is no excuse to get suckered, because deals and sites are all over this forum.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
i dont feel the sellers are trying to screw people

but if YOU bought something today for $100. and decided to sell it next week. You'd want to recoup as much of that $100. SO lets say you ask $75 for it. sounds reasonable.

the problem is
you could have bought it today for $80 if you did price research and then sell it in a week and ask 50 or 60 for it and it would be more realistic to me

but people are just willing to over pay in the first place and then resell it asking too high a price IMHO
I dont care how little you used it, how perfectly LIKE new it is. IT IS USED. your not a retailer, your not offering warranty or return service. And that is part of the price we pay for when buying new.
its like buying a car for $10k and trying to resell it next week for $9500

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
i dont feel the sellers are trying to screw people

I do based on past reactions. Nobody is really that stupid to say, "I paid a hundred for it a month ago. I used it four times, now I want 90 bucks shipped, even though I know Joe is pimping a deal for 60 bucks".
When you point out today's price, they get pissed and say they don't care, stop fucking with my sale.

Lots of things I would have bought in the past, but sellers had the above attitude.

But I agree with the rest of your post. A used whatever, is worth half of new, to me. I'm rolling the dice it will even work two weeks after I buy it.

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I agree Matt, and the attitude when schooled is hilarious.
The only one I saw that had an excuse was a Canadian seller and the import mark-up he had to deal with. What he needed was a Canadian buyer.

But while I got y'all here... I got a Spinner type VV I never really used.
I'd like to get $27 for it. I'll throw in a couple EVOD attys. Bonus eh?

Anyone?

Hello? Is this thing on? :rolleyes:

:p

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I think im just going to start threads with WTB and name my price and see if anyone is interested

RatRacer

a touch oɟɟ
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think im just going to start threads with WTB and name my price and see if anyone is interested
latest

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I've always used $0.50 on the dollar as a standard for buying used gear, and that not half of what you paid, but half of what I'd have to pay to buy new.
thats reasonable until you get to low priced items under say $20 cuz shipping costs are a bitch sometimes

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
and the bashing in my WTB thread has started as I knew it would

Not really, to be honest. Though if you hadn't explained... you might have hooked a few more.
Still might I suppose.

I thought you were doing it as a larf, but being serious ( and hard headed) about it is actually a bit tool-ish.
Be nicer about it and some may actually sell just to free up space. :p

And for some reason... your link in this thread gets me the WTB thread, but not logged in. Odd.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Let them whine. Used shit is used shit. It's all throw away shit. If they want to get rid of it, they need a buyer or throw it in the trash.

No different than anything else really. Just vapers tend to be unrealistic about values. In window cleaning, you are not going to get 90 or 80 percent of new price of your gear, even if it's never been used. Even stack ladders, that are SUPER expensive to buy, only sell for maybe half of new.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
the problem isnt that i care so much people are selling for what i consider to be over priced
and people are paying that price

it pisses me off that what I see as a deal or a fair pice just doesnt seem to pop up very often or ever.

Dont get me wrong I see lots of fair prices as well, just not for stuff I want

SO I think my WTB thread is the best way for me to go

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
the worst seller is the high end mech flipper.
they bought an extinct shiny metal tube for $250 a year ago and now they want $350 for that even more extinct shiny metal tube a year later.

Then when you try to mention that the same mech is on sale at local vape for $79.00 they jump down your throat.

these mech guys think that since they bought the mod at an event and kept it greased up and stored it in mom's basement for a year that somehow means that i should pay four times as much as a brand new one costs.

also "i won my first cloud comp with this bruh" doesn't mean shit to me.

Last edited:

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
the problem isnt that i care so much people are selling for what i consider to be over priced
and people are paying that price

it pisses me off that what I see as a deal or a fair pice just doesnt seem to pop up very often or ever.

Dont get me wrong I see lots of fair prices as well, just not for stuff I want

SO I think my WTB thread is the best way for me to go
If you think you're gonna get a Hexohm for $50 you're on fucking *****

Last edited by a moderator:

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
If someone wants to sell an overpriced item and someone else is willing to pay it, it's their problem.
If you don't like someone's price just don't buy it.
Free market system ...kinda cool how that works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So buy it new then. Shit costs what someone is selling it at. If someone wants to sell their $40 mod for $35, then thats the price. You dont gotta buy it. Mods are so cheap that selling them is well worthless unless you have something nice. If I paid $40 for a mod and the used prices are $15 then fuck it, Id get more than $15 value out of it just sitting around to look at it once in a while, or keeping it sitting next to my shitter. But telling people youll give them $10 for a mod they paid $60-70 for just a month ago is just being a dick.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I bought my first real mod setup in December 2012.
it was a vamo v2 and a protank v1
Cost me $60 (thank God for VaporJoe or i would have paid $120)
i still have the device in my mod rack.

if i tried to sell it today for more than the cost of shipping in a pif or giveaway then I AM The dick.

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

if i tried to sell it today for more than the cost of shipping in a pif or giveaway then I AM The dick.

Well thats understandable. Im not talking about way old totally outdated stuff here. Im talking some mods that are a month or 2 or 4 old, that still keep up with mods coming out now. The vape market is a strange one unlike most any other kind of product market. Prices drop substantially, constantly. Were talking about a market where prices can drop 25-50% pretty well overnight. And that makes the second hand market what it is.

Sigelei 213 is prime example. Preorders and release day prices were up over $100. Fast forward less than a week later and I picked one up for $70 new. So now you have a group who bought for $100+, where the second hand price would be reasonable around the same price as the new price now. Its just totally fucked. And making it worse is the actual consumer base, which is made up at least partially of young people with not a lot of disposable income just wanting to take advantage of the messed up situation.

But its all bullshit. Post what you want at whatever price you want. Either someone will buy it, or someone wont.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I always wait a while for the price to drop and in case the device has problems that were unknown in the beginning.
A reviewer might say it chucks the vapor and is sick as tits but that doesn't mean they spent enough time with it to find out if there are any bugs.

When everybody was on the Boreas train they cost $50 each.
I waited a month or so and now they are $29 and I was more than happy to buy a couple at that price because I could tell all the ones who paid $50 loved it.

Shark Vape

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
MUD Slinger
the worst seller is the high end mech flipper.
they bought an extinct shiny metal tube for $250 a year ago
and now they want $350 for that even more extinct shiny metal tube a year later.

these mech guys think that since they bought the mod at an event and
kept it greased up and stored it in mom's basement for a year
that somehow means that i should pay four times as much as a brand new one costs.
The worst? Wait just a minute here... :)
Back around 2011-12, (pre-clone) trendy ECFers were willing to drop $400-450:eek: for a GGTS.
"Shiny metal tubes" were all the rage! And my mom's basement had the perfect environment to age them
for the 6 hours it took for OEM stock to sell out at COV.

I think I sold 4 or 5 of em before someone complained and the delightful mold soldier
declared profiting was evil and instituted a price control policy in the classies.

Ahhh good times. :)

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
The worst? Wait just a minute here... :)
Back around 2011-12, (pre-clone) trendy ECFers were willing to drop $400-450:eek: for a GGTS.
"Shiny metal tubes" were all the rage! And my mom's basement had the perfect environment to age them
for the 6 hours it took for OEM stock to sell out at COV.

I think I sold 4 or 5 of em before someone complained and the delightful mold soldier
declared profiting was evil and instituted a price control policy in the classies.

Ahhh good times. :)

It's like I said - stuff is worth what people will pay.

A month or so ago some idiot was trying to sell a noisy cricket on ECF for $30. I didn't complain (or report) but I did point out they were selling for under $20 by US sellers.

Yep, they pulled his post as profiteering. Dumb as fuck. If someone wanted to pay that much for a used NC, let `em.

And why you insult vaginas like that? Most folks here either have one or are trying to get someone else's :cool:

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Mech tubes are the only device which is going to last the test of time. We can buy them dirt cheap over the salty pond.

All these devices with wiring, sleds, and chipsets, are throw away shit. I don't care how you want to rationalize it. There is a new mod pumped out every day. They are NOT designed to last years.

I could fart in a can, and ask 10 grand for the canned fart. But two things are wrong with that.
1 I'd be trying to rob someone of their hard earned money.
2 Anyone actually considering buying it, is a complete dumbass.

Let's put it in perspective. Vaping is a recreational thing. If you buy a tent at Walmart, for 100 bucks, is it worth 100 bucks after you use it once? Is it worth 90 bucks? Nope, it's worth about half.

Shark Vape

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
MUD Slinger
And why you insult vaginas like that? Most folks here either have one or are trying to get someone else's :cool:
No insult! I love vaginas!
I wanna become a lesbian but they won't tell me where the meetings are... :(

bondo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
To me,it's like any rc vehicle.
As soon as you leave the store or it leaves the warehouse,it's value drops by half. It doesn't matter if it's surf,turf or air.
This is the reason that I mostly stick with trades. Trades tend to offer a little more wiggle room and both parties walk away happy in most cases.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Why did you remind me the Vamo V2.
Hated that thing and used to call it my green baton.
Baton because is was fucken long and green because the chrome peeled off and the copper underneath made my hand green.
I did like the PT1 (and 1.5 and 2).

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
http://vapingunderground.com/threads/wts-wtt-crown-tank-package.249255/

see this is the perfect example

guy wants $60 for 2 USED crowns 9 coils and an rba section

you can buy that all new for about the same price

but then hes also willing to trade fro mods
and lists 4 different mods
the nugget which is like $25 new
an egrip 2 and evic mini 2 which are about $40 new
or a dna 40 which are about 60 new

wish i had a nugget to trade him
lol

but seriously
hes asking $60 or used mods that would be worth half or less the half of his $60 asking price

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

lol

but seriously
hes asking $60 or used mods that would be worth half or less the half of his $60 asking price

Multiple thoughts
That told me that the seller Either would rather trade or would Entertain offers.

What I can't understand(as a member) is why what another person does with their belongings bothers you like this. If the item is priced to high or he wants to much in a trade than he will either drop the price or keep the item.

Last edited:

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader

lol

but seriously

What he is selling costs about $60 on eBay brand new

SS Crown $18
Blk Crown $19
RBA Section $9
Coils $20

= $66

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

lol

but seriously
That is a great example....:giggle:...:cry:

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Leaves wiggle room. Nothing wrong with someone asking whatever price they want to. People will barter. If they're not willing to pay that price, they simply won't.

I can understand asking a little higher of a price than you are expecting to get for something because no matter what it is somebody is going to try to talk you down on the price a little.

VU Sponsors