Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
This is just a warning to be vigilant when dealing with new members.
It seems that some asshole has been on here ripping or trying to rip people off for the last few months.
it's always the same shit photoshop timestamp. Always a new member with no posts.

Please remember that this clown (or another like him) is always on the forum somewhere.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
They usually get banned as soon as it's brought to our attention.
Unless there was already payment sent, then we wait it out a little.

it's just better for everyone involved to avoid making deals with ANY newer member who has little to no forum posts and sends you pics with photoshopped time stamps on them.

zakumadness

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
With this being said as well...we may see an influx of new members from reddit (classifieds were shut down)

As always err on the side of caution. If it seems like it's a too good of a deal....wonder why.

If they are new...feel free to ask for vouches. Most people expect that coming in to

Don't be afraid to get more info or request more pics.

Proof of life is always important.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I suspected this... recently got a PM from someone selling coils. I noticed he had 0 posts. I even mentioned that to him. He seemed very insistent that I check out his pictures of the coils (and videos LOL) I mentioned that I have no money and haven't heard from him since. I also asked if he even vapes... he said something like not really much (wouldn't be surprised if he smokes)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should have a list of usernames in a sticky like they did on r/ecigclassifieds before the ANTZ got that subreddit banned. No shame in naming names in a case like this IMHO.

You should have a list of usernames in a sticky like they did on r/ecigclassifieds before the ANTZ got that subreddit banned. No shame in naming names in a case like this IMHO.
Will r/ecigclassifieds be able to be brought back? I hope so, was one of my favorite places to buy and sell.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Please remember that this clown (or another like him) is always on the forum somewhere.
Except for the clown part, I resemble that remark. *grin* Of course, I'm always everywhere and anytime, any space or no space.
If it seems like it's a too good of a deal....wonder why.
"Too good to be true, usually is too good but not true." -- Ibid
Proof of life is always important.
Nah, we'll just send in the Zoot Suits with big guns & loud party poppers. They usually get well, something ... .*grin*
Will r/ecigclassifieds be able to be brought back?
I'd start here to find an answer for that question. You owe Cortana a case of Milo's sweet tea. I will accept on Cortana's behalf.

Thanks for the heads up. Had noticed some activity what seemed out of sorts. Was not sure, now am. Always good knowing our mods are trying to look out for all of us. Good too being reminded to use caution.

Last edited:

deflipe

Member For 4 Years
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to buy a Sherman 25, and 2 people registered on the same day to offer it to me, I wanted to pay with the traditional way as PayPal but they only accept payments to Family and friends. I offered to pay the extra cost but they didn't want to.

Now the conversations do not exist. Were those users deleted?

1650899691811.png

1650899748984.png

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
They usually get banned as soon as it's brought to our attention.
Unless there was already payment sent, then we wait it out a little.

it's just better for everyone involved to avoid making deals with ANY newer member who has little to no forum posts and sends you pics with photoshopped time stamps on them.

Yeah, you're right. A scammer list would be pointless on VU since they just get banned when reported. I guess I was thinking about how ECF operates. They let scammer accounts go unbanned for some idiotic reason. In that case a scammer list might do some good.

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I want to buy a Sherman 25, and 2 people registered on the same day to offer it to me, I wanted to pay with the traditional way as PayPal but they only accept payments to Family and friends. I offered to pay the extra cost but they didn't want to.

Now the conversations do not exist. Were those users deleted?

View attachment 192859

View attachment 192860
Same thing for me with mcforlab or whatever. The convo is also gone from my records as well.

deflipe

Member For 4 Years
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha

6fe02062e0cd1ccd5db937aa693c8a68.jpg

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
We do ban them as soon as they are found to be scammers.
I have a feeling that it's either one person or a small group of people who have been trying to perfect the same scam.
They already know you are going to ask for the timestamp on the photo so they photoshop one that looks OK at a quick glance but looks really noticeable when you look closely.

As long as everyone is careful to watch out for a fake timestamp in the pic you all should be good to go.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So @reefsteve what's the deal with this? :rolleyes:
I guess we'll give em a chance to tell us. :)

NemoBass

Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I got PM's from mcforlab, mcjones18, reefsteve so far. All have tanks and adapters I'm looking for. I'm new here also but I've bought and sold a few things from some members. I'm on Reddit and ECF.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I got PM's from mcforlab, mcjones18, reefsteve so far. All have tanks and adapters I'm looking for. I'm new here also but I've bought and sold a few things from some members. I'm on Reddit and ECF.

I see your account on both under the same screen name. ;)

I'm going to give you our Reddit Exile badge.
1650930188221.png

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Can someone post a picture of one of these dudes' fake timestamp? I'm just curious if their photoshop skills can fake me.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
This is an example of a photoshopped timestamp.
He's getting better at it. lol

1650930415318.png

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
He most certainly is another.. I got a PM from him in the same ‘email blah blah blah, they have one’ format. These dudes are relentless..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is exactly how the scam plays out.
A member is looking for something and posts a WTB thread with what they are after.
Out of the blue a new member with no posts arrives with exactly what they are looking for but there's one catch, for some reason they MUST send PayPal F&F.

That's the scam, If you send the money you aren't getting anything.
The person doesn't have shit, and probably has never even seen a vape in real life before.

Unless you know the person it's a bad idea to send F&F, always pay the fee and you will become unscamable.
PayPal can give you your money back and close the scammers PayPal account if you don't get your stuff.

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
One way to lessen scams like this is to take the route fuckcombustion forum takes, which is to deny users the use of classifieds until you have 50 posts in the general forum areas and your account is more than X months old. It works for them so there's no reason it can't work for any well-established forum.

Sure, the scammer can PM you if you place a WTB ad but you have to have a notice that if anyone PMs you without posting to your WTB thread, they are likely scamming you. Legit sellers & buyers will be required to respond to the ad first, then PM you, and they'll gladly do it.

These scammer aren't going to make 50 useful posts and wait X months to be able to scam people. It's not worth it for them. They are obviously lazy.

Last edited:

AvaOrchid

Member For 4 Years
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I've always wondered how hard is it for someone to make a second PayPal account? Like I've never tried to make a second account because I have no reason. But as a seller let's say someone does g&s And you send out the gear after you got the money and they claim they didn't get it or it wasn't as described or whatever and launch a complaint. Now if I legitimately want to fight that because not only did I send the stuff but I have tracking that says they received it or even a message that they received it All they have to do is say it was vape gear. And now I've lost my stuff I've lost their payment and my accounts frozen. Their account probably is too but can they just make another one?

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
All they have to do is say it was vape gear. And now I've lost my stuff I've lost their payment and my accounts frozen. Their account probably is too but can they just make another one?
Seems feasible anyone could re-open a "new" account. Would imagine though Pay Pal / Transaction Service would then be watching for vaping purchases / sales on said "new" account.

AvaOrchid

Member For 4 Years
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Seems feasible anyone could re-open a "new" account. Would imagine though Pay Pal / Transaction Service would then be watching for vaping purchases / sales on said "new" account.
Oh okay so there is like a way to track that this is an account that somebody has previously had rather than a brand new completely unrelated account. I honestly can't even remember how I set up my PayPal account It's been so long lol I don't remember what they asked

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Oh okay so there is like a way to track that this is an account that somebody has previously had rather than a brand new completely unrelated account. I honestly can't even remember how I set up my PayPal account It's been so long lol I don't remember what they asked

Ah, ... Please do not quote me as saying that exactly nor use that as "gospel".

I do not know if Pay Pal has a means to track account holders.

I do not know that Pay Pal lacks a means to track account holders.

What I'm saying though is they can likely track an account holder's purchases. Now, there's also means one can get around purchases being tracked too. For example Fast Tech lets users buy gift cards. All Pay Pal can then see is I spent $20.00 at Fast Tech.

Fast Tech sells a host of products aside from vaping stuff. I may have bought shirts, kitchenware, toiletries, any number of things. Pay Pal might suspect I bought vaping stuff but they cannot factually state I did. All they can say factually is I spent $20 at Fast Tech.

Still Pay Pal will gradually catch on and use better tracking algorithms to keep account of purchases. They will be able to have a viable registry of what people buy, sell for any law enforcement or governmental agencies to look into if so requested.

That also means Pay Pal can then limit, or outright stop purchases or sells against Pay Pal policies. Of course, there's also still ways around that. For example one can use any number of other online transaction service/s, use crypto-currency/ies, use cash and face to face meets, drop spots.

Group or co-op buying is another means. Someone can be the rotating spokes person for a group, buy large quantities of several different things to obfuscate what is bought and for whom. It could be arranged such group buys are legally protected, ergo no one can ask to know who bought what or even what was bought from who/where.

Where a will there's a way. I've not said anything that isn't common knowledge, a.k.a Ibid. Who says it, or writes it? Well, nearly everyone or enough people that no one keeps track of who. It is just known.

Disclaimer/s: Not a lawyer, law enforcement, business person ... take my advise/commentary as just a humble opined view among many others.

Last edited:

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
In order to have a PayPal account open you have to give them all of your info. just like a bank would ask.

If I got caught at a Bank of America in Central Florida for trying to rob it and the judge tells me I can never step foot in B.O.A. again what do you think would happen if I tried to open a new BOA account in a different location?
It doesn't matter if I move across the country because when I go to set up a bank account at B.O.A. they are going to know I'm the one who's banned since not too many people share the same name, address, AND social security number.
PayPal uses this same method for identifying people that's being used by literally everyone else in the same field.
It doesn't matter how much you change your appearance or move since that SS# is following you wherever you go.
I thought that all of this was common knowledge?
I mean, it's not like you can just get a new phone and whip up a new PayPal account on a whim.
It may be a tiny bit easier than getting a new bank account from a bank that asked you to leave and not come back.
You'd very quickly run out of friends and/or family members who think it's beneficial for them to let you ruin their name/credit by giving you their full credentials just so you can rip people off out of vape gear with PayPal.

AvaOrchid

Member For 4 Years
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Ah, ... Please do not quote me as saying that exactly nor use that as "gospel".

I do not know if Pay Pal has a means to track account holders.

I do not know that Pay Pal lacks a means to track account holders.

What I'm saying though is they can likely track an account holder's purchases. Now, there's also means one can get around purchases being tracked too. For example Fast Tech lets users buy gift cards. All Pay Pal can then see is I spent $20.00 at Fast Tech.

Fast Tech sells a host of products aside from vaping stuff. I may have bought shirts, kitchenware, toiletries, any number of things. Pay Pal might suspect I bought vaping stuff but they cannot factually state I did. All they can say factually is I spent $20 at Fast Tech.

Still Pay Pal will gradually catch on and use better tracking algorithms to keep account of purchases. They will be able to have a viable registry of what people buy, sell for any law enforcement or governmental agencies to look into if so requested.

That also means Pay Pal can then limit, or outright stop purchases or sells against Pay Pal policies. Of course, there's also still ways around that. For example one can use any number of other online transaction service/s, use crypto-currency/ies, use cash and face to face meets, drop spots.

Group or co-op buying is another means. Someone can be the rotating spokes person for a group, buy large quantities of several different things to obfuscate what is bought and for whom. It could be arranged such group buys are legally protected, ergo no one can ask to know who bought what or even what was bought from who/where.

Where a will there's a way. I've not said anything that isn't common knowledge, a.k.a Ibid. Who says it, or writes it? Well, nearly everyone or enough people that no one keeps track of who. It is just known.

Disclaimer/s: Not a lawyer, law enforcement, business person ... take my advise/commentary as just a humble opined view among many others.
Oh I understand that's why I definitely use likely lol :) not going to hold it to you at a court of law

AvaOrchid

Member For 4 Years
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
In order to have a PayPal account open you have to give them all of your info. just like a bank would ask.

If I got caught at a Bank of America in Central Florida for trying to rob it and the judge tells me I can never step foot in B.O.A. again what do you think would happen if I tried to open a new BOA account in a different location?
It doesn't matter if I move across the country because when I go to set up a bank account at B.O.A. they are going to know I'm the one who's banned since not too many people share the same name, address, AND social security number.
PayPal uses this same method for identifying people that's being used by literally everyone else in the same field.
It doesn't matter how much you change your appearance or move since that SS# is following you wherever you go.
I thought that all of this was common knowledge?
I mean, it's not like you can just get a new phone and whip up a new PayPal account on a whim.
It may be a tiny bit easier than getting a new bank account from a bank that asked you to leave and not come back.
You'd very quickly run out of friends and/or family members who think it's beneficial for them to let you ruin their name/credit by giving you their full credentials just so you can rip people off out of vape gear with PayPal.
I don't remember what I had to give PayPal in order to set up an account. Like I know they have one of my credit cards and I know that I used my name but I don't remember what they required of me. I don't remember them requiring any kind of proof identification didn't remember the social security card aspect of it so I really didn't know

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Am I seeing something suspect going on in the classies in the last 12 hours or am I just being overly suspicious?

Azn

Member For 3 Years
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Am I seeing something suspect going on in the classies in the last 12 hours or am I just being overly suspicious?
Yeahhh I’m gonna start asking for time stamped pics/videos (piece of paper with their/your username and date)

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I thought about that and looked earlier.
You might be being overly suspicious but it doesn't hurt to ask for more proof if you want to buy something.
In the case you mention the carpet is the same in every pic and the member is coming up on 2 years on the forum.
It also helps that they aren't using some weird Nigerian IP or VPN server.
Just a good ol' Comcast Cable customer.

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I thought about that and looked earlier.
You might be being overly suspicious but it doesn't hurt to ask for more proof if you want to buy something.
In the case you mention the carpet is the same in every pic and the member is coming up on 2 years on the forum.
It also helps that they aren't using some weird Nigerian IP or VPN server.
Just a good ol' Comcast Cable customer.

Good to know. Not interested in any of the goods myself but I guess the onslaught of ads single was odd to me.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I don't remember what I had to give PayPal in order to set up an account. Like I know they have one of my credit cards and I know that I used my name but I don't remember what they required of me. I don't remember them requiring any kind of proof identification didn't remember the social security card aspect of it so I really didn't know
Right, you link your bank card which must have the same name as the account.
You also give your name, address, phone, email all during PayPal's sign up process.
I guess you could try lying about some of that stuff but I doubt they are going to let you hook someone else's bank card to your PayPal account.
It doesn't matter if you have 6 bank accounts and 12 credit cards they all have your name on them.
The only way I've ever seen someone back on PayPal after getting the boot is they are now using their wife's account or something similar.

This is the whole reason why the scammer is getting you to pay friends & family
PayPal won't do shit if you send F&F.
That's why you should always send the other way, pay the fees, and if they rip you off you get your money back and they lose their PayPal account.
If it was easy to whip up a new PayPal account then they probably wouldn't bother wasting all of their time using every trick in the book to try to get you to pay F&F.

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Paypal F&F is such a double edge sword. There are scam buyers out there that will make false claims of the transaction and the seller loses out. That's why a seller would prefer F&F. Not all who ask for F&F are scammers. In fact, most all the regulars here require F&F and we know they aren't scammers. Even people on ECF are requiring F&F even though it's still against the rules (they aren't enforcing it anymore). If someone tells me they want to use G&S, I have to feel comfortable with them otherwise I won't do the sale. That's just the way it is. Sellers are just as vulnerable as buyers.

As far as having 2 paypal accounts, the only way to do that is to have 1 business and 1 personal account, that's the only way they allow 2 paypal accounts. When you get booted from paypal, your account data is kept on their servers which is how they can figure out if you were booted before and deny you a new account.

This is the whole reason why the scammer is getting you to pay friends & family
PayPal won't do shit if you send F&F.

Actually Paypal can (at it's own discretion) reverse an an F&F charge. Also, when you pay F&F, you have the option to use funds from a credit card, but you have to pay a fee of like 1.5% or something like that. If you do that, you can dispute the charge with the credit card you used to get the funds from.

But yes, if some new, unknown and otherwise shady seller requires F&F only (or some other payment that's unprotected like Cashapp, Zelle, Venmo, etc) then you can be just about 100% certain they aren't going to be shipping anything after they get your money.

Then we have that whole problem where if someone disputes a G&S charge, you run the risk of losing your PP account because they are going to have to mention the item they bought (I think). In fact, even the buyer may lose their account (not 100% sure about that). If I lost my paypal, I'd be devastated as I buy from some small vendors that only take paypal becuase they don't understand that there are a lot of people out there that lost their paypal accounts. You will actually lose your paypal account if your account gets hacked and you will never be able to use paypal again. It happened to 2 people on ECF. Paypal is brutal.

VU Sponsors