Become a Patron!

Quit smoking forum?

Maybe people looking to quit don't really fit in here but (and I speak from experience) even mentioning a vape on many quit smoking boards is enough to get you banned. When I did quit (before finding that my brain does not function without nicotine), vaping was the only method that ever worked for me and the puritanical all-or-nothing regime was intensely annoying.

So how about putting a little sub-board to one side for vape-to-quit ex-smokers just so that they have somewhere to go, feel welcome and free to talk about practical measures without being drowned out by cries of "blasphemy!"?

Look at some people's banners.. the struggle is real...
The posers get more flak than anyone else.

Today makes 3wks, 3 days no cigarettes for me and I found this forum today. The more I get into vaping, more questions. I have never tried or thought to try to quite smoking so w/o vaping I would have not stopped. I appreciate what ya'll have created here, especially for those of us who don't really know where to look for answers and support.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Today makes 3wks, 3 days no cigarettes for me and I found this forum today. The more I get into vaping, more questions. I have never tried or thought to try to quite smoking so w/o vaping I would have not stopped. I appreciate what ya'll have created here, especially for those of us who don't really know where to look for answers and support.
Well welcome to you! And congrats on quitting. Ain't it great?! Hope you enjoy your time here :)

creeperfan5236

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Welcome! And congrats on quitting! Your lungs will thank you in a few years.

teeroy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I sure hear a lot from people that have quit smoking for 2-3-4 years that tell me one day they just started smoking again. I just can't see how after going through the struggle to get off the smokes one could go back to it. ponderous

I'm 8 days shy of 9 months since I had my last cigarette. no way in hell I'm going back to it

creeperfan5236

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I sure hear a lot from people that have quit smoking for 2-3-4 years that tell me one day they just started smoking again. I just can't see how after going through the struggle to get off the smokes one could go back to it. ponderous

I'm 8 days shy of 9 months since I had my last cigarette. no way in hell I'm going back to it
That's the spirit!

teeroy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
That's the spirit!
I'm not sure I could have done it without vaping, I've tried many times in the past 10-15 years. make it a few days or a week, then back at it. seemed like everytime I quit, when I started again I would smoke more. I never tried gum, patches, or pills....thought I could do the mind over matter thing. fail

SouthernShine

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
There are many people here and all are happy and willing to answer aany and all questions you may have. Even if you think the question is stupid, ask it, knowledge is power.

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I know from experience it can happen. I was off of them for 3 months a few years ago. I'd been keeping it down to one pack a day. Then one day after a bad day at work and getting a speeding ticket I found myself at a gas station buying a pack of cigarettes. After two months I was back up to a pack a day. Then two packs. Then three. It just happens some times.

It's still tempting some times. I enjoy vaping so much more than smoking, but after a bad day at work it's hard not to try to reach for the pack of cigarettes that I think should be in the pocket of my jeans or hoody. It's equal parts habit and comfort. I'm a cook (for now at least), and after rushes I take breaks with the rest of the crew. We smoke and chat between rushes. It's part of relaxing a little. Vaping feels better, but it doesn't work quite right with the habits even after nearly a year of vaping. It takes a little will power even while still getting nicotine.

thejman

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Maybe people looking to quit don't really fit in here but (and I speak from experience) even mentioning a vape on many quit smoking boards is enough to get you banned. When I did quit (before finding that my brain does not function without nicotine), vaping was the only method that ever worked for me and the puritanical all-or-nothing regime was intensely annoying.

So how about putting a little sub-board to one side for vape-to-quit ex-smokers just so that they have somewhere to go, feel welcome and free to talk about practical measures without being drowned out by cries of "blasphemy!"?

I still have a cigarette here and there but I'm starting to feel confident about completely letting cigarettes go. Recent joiner here as well and I've gotten some pretty good support from the people. Welcome.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The day I started vaping I quit cold turkey a 21/2 pack 50 year habit. I still occasionally Jones for a stinky but I hit my vape and the craving goes away.

I can do a 10 hour flight with no issues. But let me get stuck in traffic, and I'm looking for a cigarette. :( It's a good thing I don't buy any.

Tanker

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It's been 4 weeks and a day for me, since I have had a manual. I smoked for 38 yrs, 32 yrs as a pack+ a day smoker. I started at 7 and was openly smoking at 13. Vaping has been a blessing, an I have only felt better everyday. My goal is to put this down as well. :)

Tanker

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The day I started vaping I quit cold turkey a 21/2 pack 50 year habit. I still occasionally Jones for a stinky but I hit my vape and the craving goes away.
Same here. 32yrs as a pack+ a day smoker, bought my Vape and haven't touched one since. I had a half a pack left, and I keep them in the ashtray of my truck, as a constant reminder of where I've been, and what I can go back to, if I choose. The next one is always right in front of me.

Arlongkpr

Member For 4 Years
Yup Yup... ! but i still so crave them.. American Spirit RYO.. about a can a week.. but the last few times i did actually smoked one it was so horrid tasting after Vaping..LOL... I still have about 1/2 but i know its very state by now.
Vape ON!

jkimbo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
When my vaping gear runs dry I smoke until I can get more supplies. Even happily vaping I still treat myself to a Clove or Marlboro once in awhile when I am in the mood. Otherwise tobacco usually taste like crap to me now. Vaping was never intended for me to quit smoking. Only save money and smoke healthier. Almost forgot been vaping for over 3 years now.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
When my vaping gear runs dry I smoke until I can get more supplies. Even happily vaping I still treat myself to a Clove or Marlboro once in awhile when I am in the mood. Otherwise tobacco usually taste like crap to me now. Vaping was never intended for me to quit smoking. Only save money and smoke healthier. Almost forgot been vaping for over 3 years now.

So you DIY, or vape less than 3ml a day?

jkimbo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So you DIY, or vape less than 3ml a day?
I vape a lot, prolly more like 10ml a day or more. But stuff gets old, breaks, wears out, and some times I do not have the money to immediate replace parts etc. That's when I buy regular pipe tobacco and roll my own until I can vape again. I smoke way less then I vape. Only when I have cravings. I find I can vape around the clock :)

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I vape a lot, prolly more like 10ml a day or more. But stuff gets old, breaks, wears out, and some times I do not have the money to immediate replace parts etc. That's when I buy regular pipe tobacco and roll my own until I can vape again. I smoke way less then I vape. Only when I have cravings. I find I can vape around the clock :)
Yeh but at 10ml a day, unless you're buying low cost juice, you're still spending as much as a pack of smokes in some places.

I originally moved to vaping to save money, and to quit smoking. And failed miserably, but I learned a lot.

I've since quit a 3 pack a day habit. Vape 10-15ml a day, at a cost of about 50 cents a day.

I've brought my Nic levels from 30mg to 2mg. And hope to put this all behind me by March. Even if I don't, I'll still be saving $400+ a month with DIY.

I think DIY is the Holy Grail of penny pinchers :) Especially if we don't get into buying the latest and greatest gear when something new comes out.

jkimbo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I agree with you. I do buy cheap but quality juice 120 ml, 32mg for about $18. DIY is the direction I am going. I can get about an oz of nic 100mg for $40 for mixing. The PG and VG is dirt cheap and the flavoring I can get tobacco concentrate in 1 oz veils for just $5. The most expensive parts are the damn coils. Cheapest I could find pre-made .30 ohm coils, 10 packs for $7.99. Still it's all cheaper then $ 8 pack for cigarettes for me any way. I was buying pipe tobacco for $2.65 a oz and rolling my won with Tops rolling paper. That's cheaper then vaping BUT 200 times more hazardous to your health and not to mention it taste like crap. I can't vape under 24mg, I craze the nic too much. I need the slight head rush and throat hit or the temptation to smoke is too great. I figure I am ahead of the game for health reasons. Vaping is so much cleaner and healthier. I was only a pack a day smoker, if it was strong enough.

decisively_unsure

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I quit smoking in October, 20 a day smoking habit before. Quite simply I enjoy vaping more, a good thing, or I would still be smoking. Once you use a real mod and tank you realise that an alternative can "hit the spot".

Find myself using 6mg on my Nautilus Mini, around 1ml a day, and the dripper 3 or 4ml with a 3mg juice, but I keep the dripping for home use now.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I agree with you. I do buy cheap but quality juice 120 ml, 32mg for about $18. DIY is the direction I am going. I can get about an oz of nic 100mg for $40 for mixing. The PG and VG is dirt cheap and the flavoring I can get tobacco concentrate in 1 oz veils for just $5. The most expensive parts are the damn coils. Cheapest I could find pre-made .30 ohm coils, 10 packs for $7.99. Still it's all cheaper then $ 8 pack for cigarettes for me any way. I was buying pipe tobacco for $2.65 a oz and rolling my won with Tops rolling paper. That's cheaper then vaping BUT 200 times more hazardous to your health and not to mention it taste like crap. I can't vape under 24mg, I craze the nic too much. I need the slight head rush and throat hit or the temptation to smoke is too great. I figure I am ahead of the game for health reasons. Vaping is so much cleaner and healthier. I was only a pack a day smoker, if it was strong enough.

I'm not sure where you are. But $40 an ounce for Nic is a lot in my world. I get a liter for $50. Which can be reduced to 4.8 liters +\- of 24mg.

For most people who don't DIY their own juice. Building their own coils can bring about substantial savings. I couldn't get a coil to last more than 2 days, until I started building my own.

It isn't necessary to get into making complicated coils. You can make simple ones for just pennies. What you spend on coils, I get enough wire to last for months. Kanthal is really cheap if you buy in spools of 100 ft or more.

Wire cost me $10 for 30 ft at my local B&M. I get 250 ft for the same price via online vendors. That's enough for about 600 coils.

There are huge savings, health and monetary, to be found with DIY vaping. And there are better quality controls as well.

Once I decided to go all in with my DIY. I spent about $800 within a week for supplies. That may seem like a lot to most people. But it was less than what I spent in 2 months when I smoked.

I've recovered every penny and then some.

It's not necessary to put down that much all at once. You can start small, and gather your supplies. You'll see a substantial savings at every step.

And vaping 24mg may force you to learn DIY. I'm starting to see calls for regulating the strength of juice in some places.

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It's interesting to see how the nicotine addictions and smoking addictions (the act of smoking) affect different people.

I smoked 40-50 cigs a day. I never craved nicotine or smoking in the middle of the night. Perhaps because I love sleeping more than smoking lol.

Smoke free! Had my last cig on Nov 1st. I started using a vapor pen with liquid nicotine and I have not even wanted a smoke at all since the night i bought it. Finally found somethng that workedafter trying cold turkey, gum, lozenges, patches....everything ut the pills, which i refuse to try. I tried e-cigs before but they did not cut it, the real vaporizer though, works. It took me a few experiments to figure out which brands, flavors, such and cuch worked best, but i think i have it figured out now. I feel better, smell better (debatable) can breath, smell and taste again, Link removed by staff. Yes, I AM still consuming nicotine, but i am tobacco free. I have already stepped down from the 24mg to 18mg to 12mg nicotine liquid. The best part is still FEELING like i amsmoking with friends, or after dinner, or driving, or most importantly drinking. I had a lot of fear about being able to stop with drinking, working at a brewery makes drinking a part of my job. The investment was not too bad, and now i am down from a 4$ a day habit to about 6$ a week.

Last edited by a moderator:

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Notice OP flyby posted. just sayin...........
islasamfisher , I noticed in the middle of your post out of nowhere in your convo a vendor link was posted, I removed it because you made no reference about the vendor, just looked like you snuck that in there. Please familiarize yourself with our forum rules and Welcome to VU

VapeDogg22

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I view vaping as not only an alternative to smoking, but a less addictive habit in general. I was a light smoker to begin with, but I find I can go multiple days without vaping or vaping zero nicotine. Best of luck to all!

teeroy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
February 25th 2016 was a year since my lips touched a cigarette, I still once in a while have dreams that I am smoking and wake up so disappointed in myself.

2 packs of Player's smokes here in Alberta cost $26, when I started smoking more than 30 years ago they were $5/pack. I can remember buying Sportsman King Size for my mom from a vending machine for $1.75

for the last 10 years before quitting I was easily burning through 2 packs a day. that's almost 10 grand a year.

I'll NEVER go back. vaping has saved me thousands, and possibly extended my time on this rock currently hurtling through space at 67,000 miles per hour.

ayersbj

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I quit Jan 3rd this year. My new years resolution lol. Just had couple packs left so decided to go when I was out. If it wasnt for vaping I wouldn't have quit. I tried over the years numerous times to quit but couldn't. So far vaping keeps the urges away and can even stand being around someone who smokes as well and doesn't kill me. Saving money not yet but thats because of everything I have accumulated in preparation for total diy. I feel a hell of alot healthier and that's what matters.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

I think people looking to quit absolutely positively belong here.

I just joined this forum, but help and support from a different forum was the only way I was able to finally stop smoking for vaping. I dual used for over 2.5 years, and was just able to put down the analogs last January.

I love your suggestion, btw

I had tried everything out there to quit smoking. My friend came over with a huge mod loll. I was hooked on wanting my own after seeing clouds. Compared to the little vape stick I bought from the cig store, she put me to shame hahaha. I have a smok alien 220w. RBA build, purple with a fidget spinner. A non smoker 8 months.
Congrats to all you quitters lol

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I had tried everything out there to quit smoking. My friend came over with a huge mod loll. I was hooked on wanting my own after seeing clouds. Compared to the little vape stick I bought from the cig store, she put me to shame hahaha. I have a smok alien 220w. RBA build, purple with a fidget spinner. A non smoker 8 months.
Congrats to all you quitters lol
I hate it when women put my little stick to shame.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Congrats to all of us that have either quit the coffin nails thx to vaping, or are working on it. If you've quit buying/lighting up cigarettes, don't let anyone tell you you're not a non-smoker just because you vape -- you're just a non-smoker who happens to vape; ANY way of quitting smoking is a GOOD way, and vaping is better than the others because it also helps prevent relapses -- that's the thing my doctor likes best about it. "Lots of my patients quit, all the time," he told me. "You're one of the few who've managed to stay quit for a long time, so keep vaping, because it's working."

Andria

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Former smoker here. 35 years, now vaping about 2 years. I can no longer um, yeah, cigarettes make me sick.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'm not sure where you are. But $40 an ounce for Nic is a lot in my world. I get a liter for $50. Which can be reduced to 4.8 liters +\- of 24mg.
For most people who don't DIY their own juice. Building their own coils can bring about substantial savings. I couldn't get a coil to last more than 2 days, until I started building my own.
It isn't necessary to get into making complicated coils. You can make simple ones for just pennies. What you spend on coils, I get enough wire to last for months. Kanthal is really cheap if you buy in spools of 100 ft or more.
Wire cost me $10 for 30 ft at my local B&M. I get 250 ft for the same price via online vendors. That's enough for about 600 coils.

Hey @PuffPuffPass , Just tossing out some helpfuls addiing on to your cost list here.

Heartland has nicotine, pg, vg and all kinds stuff for juice DIY. Here's their under $50 USD a liter.
For wire to build coils. They carry Kanthal, Ni, SS. I've been impressed with the Kanthal. These by no means are an exhaustive list of vendors. No, I'm not making anything for offering links to them. I use the wire, so far not got froggy enough to get into DIY juices whole heartedly. Yeah, I can mix but I only mix for private consumption not anything to pass on and I mix very small batches. Usually only a 250 ml bottle at a time, which lasts me 4-6 months.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Shit happens. I quit cold turkey and went 8 years without smoking. Then in one calendar year my entire life went to hell. At the time, it helped me, otherwise I might have turned to something else.

Congrats and just keep at it.

Mum

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi
Just to throw a thought in the mix.
I'm in the UK where we can only buy juice with nicotine in it in 10 ml bottles...no larger. I pay £2.50 a bottle (about $3.35) it seems cheap compared to internet prices. Should I be worried I'm getting inferior juice?

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Hi
I'm in the UK where we can only buy juice with nicotine in it in 10 ml bottles...no larger. I pay £2.50 a bottle (about $3.35) it seems cheap compared to internet prices. Should I be worried I'm getting inferior juice?
Considering the cost to make 10ml of juice is under 50 cents, I don't think those prices are a reason to worry.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Hi

I'd be a lot more worried about my fascist gov't, making idiot rules like that.... and then I'd buy a great big bottle of 0mg juice and add my own nicotine to it. :giggle:

Andria

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon

A guy at work introduced me to vaping. I had smoked 42 years and wanted to quit. He hooked me up with a IPV 400 mod, Smok BBB tank and 12mg Uncle Junks Jon Wayne Juice. I still had a few cigs for about a week while learning this vaping deal. Trying to kick the cigs with morning coffee was hard but I decided no more smokes one morning and I finally quit after a week. Couldn't believe it! That was a year ago and I have not had any cravings for the cigs since then. A month ago I tried a cig from a friend to see what it was like after a year and damn it was nasty. Can't believe I ever started smoking long ago. Stick with the vape. I don't run out of breath any more. My breath doesn't smell like shit, and when I retook my physical 3 weeks ago, the Doc said my lungs sounded good. I am now down to 6mg of nic and have a few different mods and many different juices. I will never go back to the cigs again.
And also, the folks on this site kick ass!

Mum

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi
In reply to the original post..... Quit Forums......
I'm an administrator for a quit smoking forum.... I won't advertise which one on here just in case it's against the rules..... but we actively encourage vaping as a Quit tool... just thought you'd like to know we're not all uneducated about vaping xx

NineNine

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor

support!!!

VU Sponsors